daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #1121
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It was better to send the highspeed trains from the east to the Gare de l'Est (with plenty of space left) than to the overcrowded Gare du Nord.
I keep hearing this overcrowding argument, and I must confess that it confuses me. It is true that by conventional measures the Gare du Nord is the busiest railway station in Europe. However, based on my own (very unscientific) personal observations I speculate that this must reflect the very busy suburban and RER lines.

The hourly number of trains on the "Grands Lignes" terminus station is significantly smaller than what one sees, for instance, in the main railway stations in Germany. I was in Frankfurt a.M. over New Year, and there they seem to be able to roll a train through each platform every 10-15 minutes. In the Gare du Nord TGVs and Thalys trains often rest immobile for up to an hour. In which case, of course, one quickly reaches the "saturation point".

tgva325 liked this post
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #1122
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
The hourly number of trains on the "Grands Lignes" terminus station is significantly smaller than what one sees, for instance, in the main railway stations in Germany. I was in Frankfurt a.M. over New Year, and there they seem to be able to roll a train through each platform every 10-15 minutes. In the Gare du Nord TGVs and Thalys trains often rest immobile for up to an hour. In which case, of course, one quickly reaches the "saturation point".
This is something that always astonished me too. For example, I have been
hearing for years that the station of Lille-Flandres was saturated, with its 20+
tracks, while we in Belgium managed to dispatch, from the station of Antwerp
Central (also a stub station), before its modernization, twice more trains on
10 tracks only. Difference of operating procedures I suppose...

suasion, tgva325 liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #1123
Minato ku

This is also the difference of trains, you can roll a regional train faster than a TGV.
The seven suburban surface terminal platforms of Gare du Nord have more departures per hour in rush hours than 19 mainline platforms.
On these 19 mainlines platforms, four are reserved to the Eurostar, two are reserved to Thalys and at least four are reserved to regional trains from Picardy.
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:29 PM   #1124
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=523

July opening date confirmed for TGV Est Phase 2
Thursday, January 21, 2016

THE president of French infrastructure manager SNCF Network Mr Jacques Rapoport confirmed to the French press on January 20 that the opening of the second phase of TGV Est, which was delayed following the fatal derailment of a test train at Eckwersheim near Strasbourg on November 14, will take place on July 3

Initially only one track will be operational on a 25km stretch of the 106km high-speed line from Baudrecourt to Vendenheim while repairs to the section of line damaged in the derailment are carried out, a process which is expected to take around seven months to complete

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

winnipeg, ascariss, stingstingsting liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #1125
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

High-speed train TGV cab. LGV Marseille Lyon Part Dieu

Visit the New Jersey Section

winnipeg, Rebasepoiss, dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 12:14 AM   #1126
Nexis
Dark Wolf

High-speed train TGV cab. LGV Paris Gare de Lyon/Aix TGV

ascariss, dimlys1994, Autostädter liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:31 AM   #1127
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
It was better to send the highspeed trains from the east to the Gare de l'Est (with plenty of space left) than to the overcrowded Gare du Nord.

About the TGV tunnel under Paris, Central Paris underground is already very crowded and a such tunnel would be very expensive
There are plenty of more important projects that are needed (new tunnel for the RER D, RER E extension...).
I remember that the SNCF once proposed such a tunnel connecting Gare du Nord and Gare de Lyon with another station at République halfway. These exact words, proposed, never came into fruition. Anyway, whatever benefits that scheme would've had, it wouldn't have created a Berlin-style uniform gare centrale for Paris at all. And I guess that this is never going to happen, that's a real bummer.
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:03 AM   #1128
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalka View Post
I remember that the SNCF once proposed such a tunnel connecting Gare du Nord and Gare de Lyon with another station at République halfway. These exact words, proposed, never came into fruition. Anyway, whatever benefits that scheme would've had, it wouldn't have created a Berlin-style uniform gare centrale for Paris at all. And I guess that this is never going to happen, that's a real bummer.
Too complicated... and a unique train station in the middle of Paris would be way way overcrowned...

tgva325 liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:06 PM   #1129
Minato ku

We would have to find a huge space in the middle of Paris.
Unlike Berlin, Paris does not have large empty space in the center, even underground and it is not easy to built large space at deep level.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:28 PM   #1130
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It might seem like a paradox, but the bigger the city the less important it is for the main station to be exactly in the middle of the city. Wherever it would be located vast majority of passengers would have to take Metro to their final destinations anyway.

winnipeg, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:50 PM   #1131
Skalka

That's right. I'd put it right under Magenta, connecting to Gare de Lyon via Place de la République and to Montparnasse via Saint-Lazaire. Parce que les gares du Nord est de l'Est forment le plus grand complex de chemin de fer à Paris et sont les gares les plus internationales.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 02:47 AM   #1132
Minato ku

Easier to say than to build.
How would you build a large underground station under Magenta?
How you would create easy access to the surface? The underground there is very crowded.

We would have to build a space bigger under Magenta which is already deep and big in a very crowded underground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
It might seem like a paradox, but the bigger the city the less important it is for the main station to be exactly in the middle of the city. Wherever it would be located vast majority of passengers would have to take Metro to their final destinations anyway.
When I was saying the middle of Paris, it means inside the lines 2 and 6 of the metro.

mrsmartman liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM   #1133
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=523

Route approved for Montpellier - Perpignan HSL
Wednesday, February 03, 2016

FRENCH transport minister Mr Alain Vidalies has approved the preliminary route and station locations for the 150km Montpellier - Perpignan high-speed line, paving the way for a public inquiry into the project, which is expected to begin at the end of this year

The approval covers a 100-120m wide corridor defined by infrastructure manager SNCF Network as the optimal route for the line, which is forecast to cost €5.52bn at 2014 prices. The final alignment will be decided at a later stage

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:51 PM   #1134
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Quote:
Except that doesn't apply for connecting passengers who have to drag luggage through the metro system. And the way the French system is set up most long distance connections are through Paris.
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:25 PM   #1135
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old February 4th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #1136
Skalka

Quote:
Easier to say than to build.
How would you build a large underground station under Magenta?
How you would create easy access to the surface? The underground there is very crowded.

We would have to build a space bigger under Magenta which is already deep and big in a very crowded underground.
[...]
When I was saying the middle of Paris, it means inside the lines 2 and 6 of the metro.
You're right, that's exactly why I said that it won't happen. What remains true after all is that even a new gare centrale should rather be built where railway already used to be and construction under, let's say, Châtelet – Les Halles would be even more counterproductive than under Magenta or wherever you have a big terminal in Paris. And yes, Berlin had a magic combination that Paris will never have: A site in the middle of the city where there was little more than a correctional facility when it was built, where three in four directions where already made (Stadtbahn east-west, due north for itself) and where still nobody didn't want to go which made the unpleasentness of its construction site very acceptable. And of course, Paris like London had much more building stock than Berlin when their termini were built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
Except that doesn't apply for connecting passengers who have to drag luggage through the metro system. And the way the French system is set up most long distance connections are through Paris.
In a system with one gare centrale, every TGV would serve it and transfer would happen just there.

If I browse ratp.fr and search for a connection between Gare de Lyon and Gare de l'Est, I'm supposed to take bus line 65 instead of the Métro or even line D that goes to Gare du Nord. If you don't travel by railway as if it were your job, this can be really frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
Will they ever build an LGV Toulouse-Perpignan so that the southern periphery and run TGV trains on its own?
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #1137
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

What's the feedback on OuiGo services so far?
Old February 7th, 2016, 02:28 PM   #1138
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What's the feedback on OuiGo services so far?
You mean for the customer? Well it makes the job, but has some differences with conventionals TGV, even if it's cheaper, you have to pay for luggages and also the train doesn't leave from a station inside Paris, for exemple some of them leaves from Marne la valée witch is not so close from Paris and requires you to buy a 12€ RER ticket if I remember well...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #1139
Minato ku

It is not as much fortunately, the RER ticket price is €7.60 from Central Paris.
Now, subscriptions covering fare zone 1 covers all zones.
Old February 7th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #1140
Nexis
Dark Wolf

High-speed train TGV cab. 6864 Nice/Marseille +Raccordement.

Minato ku, dimlys1994, Vladk0 liked this post

Tags
alstom, high speed train, tgv