daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #1361
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9959

Such as the "private" Thello company tries to do in PACA (aka Marseille-Nice region) right?

PS: not to mention the "very regional ()" pan/trans-European Riviera-Express (Nice-Moscow seasonal train)

parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #1362
tgva325

Likes (Received): 3156

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Such as the "private" Thello company tries to do in PACA (aka Marseille-Nice region) right?

PS: not to mention the "very regional ()" pan/trans-European Riviera-Express (Nice-Moscow seasonal train)

Those are not TER services

Grupo Yahoo Trenes del Uruguay
tgva325 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #1363
snot

Likes (Received): 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Most of those passengers are parisians commuters.
Probably, but that doesn't mean the rest of France doesn't have commuters. I guess bigger provincial towns have commuters to.

Quote:
The reality is that most of France has a too low density to be suitable for rail network like in England or Netherlands.
France has still some denser area's and a lot of possible connection suitable for decent intercity trains that run at 160-220km/h. I don't know the local network but what about Rennes-Nantes-Bordeaux, Montpelier-Toulouse, Metz-Nancy, Clermont-Ferrand-Lyon,...
Improving the network is complementary to the LGV network, and strengthen it, or do you want the LGV sucking all the money out of the rest of the network that is already bad?

tgva325 liked this post
snot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #1364
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9959

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgva325 View Post
Those are not TER services
Of course!

I was joking around, actually.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #1365
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Also the six counties aren't in Britain,
Britain is a synonym for the whole United Kingdom and not just for Great Britain.

Quote:
It's not star-shaped. And London is in that 'midlands' area where traffic is naturally funnelled - you can't get from Kent to the rest of the country easily without going through London.
You get to Brighton and further along the south coast at least.

Quote:
But Paris is similarly asymetrical, and unlike London, it's totally bypassable - as seen by Route des Estuaires on the sea side (where with London you end up with no fixed crossing more than 30km downstream of Tower Bridge - still easily in the urban area).

Lille to Lorraine would be similar to the Bristol to Birmingham rail corridor in the UK, but you have trains running down TGV-Nord, circling Paris (on something London doesn't and will not ever have) and heading out on TGV-Est.
Lorraine isn't a town though. And this is one of the reason why there are so few rail services in France past Paris. The population outside the Île-de-France is simply way too dispersed to serve them with this mode of transportation.
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #1366
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15417

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgva325 View Post
line between Clemont Ferrand and Ussel will be reopened
Source?
Old July 8th, 2017, 02:03 AM   #1367
tgva325

Likes (Received): 3156

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Lorraine isn't a town though. And this is one of the reason why there are so few rail services in France past Paris. The population outside the Île-de-France is simply way too dispersed to serve them with this mode of transportation.
That is a big nonsense.

Grupo Yahoo Trenes del Uruguay

snot liked this post
tgva325 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #1368
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3709

How would you guys rank the French passenger rail system on a 1-10 scale? Isn't Macron planning to improve the existing lines or something?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #1369
BlackArt-ist

Likes (Received): 2754

6/10

Does the job here, with those regular and annoying flaws we've discussed a zillion times. I don't have much to complain though regarding the line I happen to use weekly (Mâcon<>Lyon Perrache). Good frequencies, decent travel times despite Lyon Part-Dieu's unresolved bottleneck, comfy rolling stock (until they decide to scrap all the remnants of their Corail fleet), although not much suited when used on rush hours.

Part-Dieu's concourse could probably rank somewhere in the top 10 most cramped/worst designed european train stations.

tgva325 liked this post
BlackArt-ist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #1370
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

Sncf loses money with a majority of TGV lines. If you are not connected to Paris it is a commercial suicide.
This why the design of network. A lot of parisians are not parisian born. A lot want to be back in their mother region at the end of day. TGV looks like to a giant metro link with province.
You can live in Le Mans and go work in Paris just the day long. It's the reality.
Paris has the jobs but province has the real sweet quality life.
Old July 18th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #1371
tuktoyaktuk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5547

Future TGV high speed train Alstom Ademe
http://www.busetcar.com/wp-content/u..._TGVfutur.jpeg

Gusiluz, Bren, roaddor, aquaticko, mrsmartman and 1 others liked this post
tuktoyaktuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #1372
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
If you are not connected to Paris it is a commercial suicide.
This why the design of network. A lot of parisians are not parisian born. A lot want to be back in their mother region at the end of day. TGV looks like to a giant metro link with province.
You can live in Le Mans and go work in Paris just the day long. It's the reality.
Paris has the jobs but province has the real sweet quality life.
Do many people use the TGVs to commute, though? I would have thought that the lifeblood of this system is business people and well-heeled single travellers who are going to spend a few days in another part of France. Here, of course, it matters that Paris makes up such a high proportion of the French urban, competitive economy. (There's also "economy" in other parts of the country, of course, but a fair bit of it is agriculture, tourism, local product and service delivery, etc.) Therefore, there's a high likelihood that a business traveler is either on the way from Paris or to Paris.

Wilhem275 liked this post
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #1373
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10883

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktoyaktuk View Post
Future TGV high speed train Alstom Ademe
http://www.busetcar.com/wp-content/u..._TGVfutur.jpeg
TGV du Futur Ademe (Agence de l'environnement et de la maîtrise de l'énergie).

http://www.journaldelenvironnement.n...du-futur,66390

Quote:
Un prototype de ce TGV nouveau devrait être livré dans les 3 ans, offrant une capacité de 750 places par rame (contre 500 aujourd’hui). Sa consommation d’électricité sera fortement réduite –de l’ordre de 35%- tandis que le coût de maintenance sera optimisé. La SNCF est le premier consommateur d’électricité en France: 7 térawattheures selon RTE, soit 1,5% de la consommation nationale. L’objectif est aussi d’offrir des prix plus accessibles que les TGV actuels.

Kot Bazilio, snot liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #1374
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

That's a good-looking train. Neat, sleek lines all around. It does look a bit like Bombardier's Zefiro and some of the newest Chinese trains. I wonder whether some of those companies cooperate, or there's simply a fashion in train designs like most other things?

The article reads as if we're quite some way from seeing such a train in passenger service: it says that we are four years away from the production of a prototype. And, as I think we all know, there's another fair distance between a prototype and an operational train. But the fact of the matter is that Alstom is under a lot of pressure - financial and political - these days. A company in that situation often resorts to going public with its "great plans for the future" in order to wow the public and the politicians.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #1375

Likes (Received): 1036

Looks good.
Although the train concept isn't that new.
It was first called the speedelia which was released at innotrans in 2010.

(Also look at the never implemented Duplex design).
Link

Specs sheet.

Also it's kind of strange why Alstom didn't produce a prototype in 2010.
Would've cost a lot of time.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 05:15 PM   #1376
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Yes this was originally offered for what became the Freccia Rossa 1000 in Italy.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...in-family.html
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 03:31 PM   #1377
jm1975

Likes (Received): 0

TGV punctuality

I have a problem to understand the official punctuality statistics for the TGV train, which according to SNCF was about 90% for the whole year 2016 (trains arriving exactly on time or within 5 minutes delay). I stayed in France for two weeks in July and i used the TGV ten times (i am a great fan of high-speed train traveling in general). 4 out of 10 times the train was delayed (for 30, 25, 10 and 40 minutes respectively). I picked up the fastest train from Marseille to Paris (3 hours 5 minutes) and it was 25 minutes late (we stopped to a complete halt for about 10 minutes just after Lyon Airport Station due to an alarm notification from a forward train, according to the information we received from our driver). The delay of 40 minutes was at a journey from Paris Est to Champagne - Ardennes TGV station, which is a distance covered in about 40 minutes actually!! (We departed Paris Est some minutes later than the scheduled arrival time!!!). Regarding the 6 other journeys (Paris - Bordeaux and return, Paris - Rennes and return, Marseille - Avignon), the train was not exactly on time, but within the 5-minute delay margin. On the contrary i used the slower Intercites service four times (Paris - Orleans and return, Paris - Bayeux and return) and it was always on time without even one minute delay.
So be careful if you are planning using the service and having connections involved.
Reliability and punctuality of TGV are the main problems for this otherwise excellent technological marvel and in my opinion the French have to learn a lot from the reliability of the Japanese Shinkansen, which has a punctuality of one minute delay on average for the whole system.
jm1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #1378
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

High speed Train TGV InOui,Thalys, Eurostar, OUIGO in France

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 04:09 PM   #1379
The Polman

Likes (Received): 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1975 View Post
I have a problem to understand the official punctuality statistics for the TGV train, which according to SNCF was about 90% for the whole year 2016 (trains arriving exactly on time or within 5 minutes delay). I stayed in France for two weeks in July and i used the TGV ten times (i am a great fan of high-speed train traveling in general). 4 out of 10 times the train was delayed (for 30, 25, 10 and 40 minutes respectively). I picked up the fastest train from Marseille to Paris (3 hours 5 minutes) and it was 25 minutes late (we stopped to a complete halt for about 10 minutes just after Lyon Airport Station due to an alarm notification from a forward train, according to the information we received from our driver). The delay of 40 minutes was at a journey from Paris Est to Champagne - Ardennes TGV station, which is a distance covered in about 40 minutes actually!! (We departed Paris Est some minutes later than the scheduled arrival time!!!). Regarding the 6 other journeys (Paris - Bordeaux and return, Paris - Rennes and return, Marseille - Avignon), the train was not exactly on time, but within the 5-minute delay margin. On the contrary i used the slower Intercites service four times (Paris - Orleans and return, Paris - Bayeux and return) and it was always on time without even one minute delay.
So be careful if you are planning using the service and having connections involved.
Reliability and punctuality of TGV are the main problems for this otherwise excellent technological marvel and in my opinion the French have to learn a lot from the reliability of the Japanese Shinkansen, which has a punctuality of one minute delay on average for the whole system.

The TGV delays are also spilling over to neighbouring countries and even the Netherlands: Thalys trains delayed from France or Belgium are frequent and mostly they are less than ten minutes. In these few minutes the IC-Direct from Breda cannot enter the HSR to Rotterdam (and Amsterdam).

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #1380
kokomo
In the brig

Likes (Received): 18428

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
How would you guys rank the French passenger rail system on a 1-10 scale? Isn't Macron planning to improve the existing lines or something?
Last year I used it quite frequently during weeks before the Euro.
I took TER and TGV services, also Thalys.
Well, punctuality was more than acceptable, did not suffer any cancellation, trains were modern and clean (even TER in the Cote-d-azur which I had read were old RIO coaches refurbished poorly and full of grafitti), stations were rather comfortable (although Nice ville was under refurbishment, Gare du Nord had an impressive clean up and Montparnasse is ugly always) and information was available almost everywhere. I speak French fluently so I had no problem at all asking for renseignementif so required and staff were polite.
Must say that I was not disappointed. I'd give it 8/10

tgva325, Klausenburg liked this post
kokomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alstom, high speed train, tgv