daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #2661
Mplsuptown
Registered User
 
Mplsuptown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 2,182
Likes (Received): 725

I meant to post the 2nd to the last picture of the night time shot and was referencing how it reminded me of The Towering Inferno.
__________________
I ain't got time to breed

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #2662
lovecities888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbnca View Post
Until about 4 floors ago, everything was going really well with the cladding process. Now suddenly, they seem to have some real quality issues with the windows. Does anyone have some insight into what is happening?
What do you mean by that?

Last edited by lovecities888; February 27th, 2017 at 01:12 AM.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:42 AM   #2663
cnbnca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 217
Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
What do you mean by that?
There are a lot of missing glass panels that need to be installed/re-installed in the last 4 floors that have been cladded. See the live camera on the salesforce website
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #2664
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!
 
Oasis-Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 16,040
Likes (Received): 52290

February 25, 2017



Untitled by Jose Villanueva, on Flickr



Pink sunset over San Francisco by Adam Derewecki, on Flickr
__________________

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; February 28th, 2017 at 08:24 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #2666
Blue Flame
Get Silly!
 
Blue Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lexington,KY
Posts: 2,369
Likes (Received): 576

How tall is this now?
__________________
A cynic is nothing but a realist with experience.
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #2667
SoCal Alan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 46
Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
How tall is this now?
Approximately 1003'.
SoCal Alan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #2668
lovecities888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 197

Is it just me that I can't get over the fact that there will be no observation deck for this building? It seems like most major cities have an observation deck for their tallest building.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #2669
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 351

The building doesn't belong to the city. It's not "their" building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
Is it just me that I can't get over the fact that there will be no observation deck for this building? It seems like most major cities have an observation deck for their tallest building.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 02:30 AM   #2670
lovecities888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
The building doesn't belong to the city. It's not "their" building.
Ok, wrong wording. Lol!
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 04:31 AM   #2671
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 351

I'm not correcting your choice of words but the implications of them.

The building is not a public space. It has no role to fulfill other than to provide office space and make a profit for its owners. It's obviously been deemed unnecessary to incorporate an observation deck.

To suggest a building has some kind of public purpose is the mindset behind every meddling planning regulation that seeks to control aesthetics.

I have no doubt that some people think such a building is obliged to provide an observation deck. That the owners somehow owe it to the public for the privilege of being granted building permission. I've seen stranger ideas expressed, and it comes from the idea that buildings are public property in all but name.



Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
Ok, wrong wording. Lol!
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 04:48 AM   #2672
Mplsuptown
Registered User
 
Mplsuptown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 2,182
Likes (Received): 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
I'm not correcting your choice of words but the implications of them.

The building is not a public space. It has no role to fulfill other than to provide office space and make a profit for its owners. It's obviously been deemed unnecessary to incorporate an observation deck.

To suggest a building has some kind of public purpose is the mindset behind every meddling planning regulation that seeks to control aesthetics.

I have no doubt that some people think such a building is obliged to provide an observation deck. That the owners somehow owe it to the public for the privilege of being granted building permission. I've seen stranger ideas expressed, and it comes from the idea that buildings are public property in all but name.
It's still a shame that the owners didn't allow for one. As the tallest tower that many people might have visited it would give more credence and more renting power as many more people would know what building they had gone up in to view the city and bay.
__________________
I ain't got time to breed

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000

raider12 liked this post
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 05:04 AM   #2673
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 351

Hey, I like observation decks as much as the next man, but my desire for that doesn't trump the property rights of the owner.

To your point, I very much doubt that business owners would be influenced into leasing hugely expensive floor space in a building simply because they had visited its observation deck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsuptown View Post
It's still a shame that the owners didn't allow for one. As the tallest tower that many people might have visited it would give more credence and more renting power as many more people would know what building they had gone up in to view the city and bay.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 06:09 PM   #2674
MarshallKnight
Registered User
 
MarshallKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: From the Bay to L.A.
Posts: 2,350
Likes (Received): 3597

To me it's more surprising because they could earn a mountain of cash in ticket receipts. Let's recall that the ESB earns more from its observation deck than the whole building's worth of office rent, and that's in a city with two other (arguably superior) decks.

But undoubtedly the developers did their homework and determined that it wouldn't be beneficial. I would guess anchor-tenant Salesforce expressed a desire not to have a bunch of pedestrian tourist traffic clogging up the entrances to their crown jewel of a headquarters.

So yeah, it's a bummer for the rest of us. But at this point, it's nearly as annoying to have the topic crop up on every page in this thread when it's been discussed to death.
__________________
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:21 PM   #2675
Riley1066
Registered User
 
Riley1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 652
Likes (Received): 557

I think the developers of Salesforce Tower don't know what they're doing and the best evidence of this is the lack of an Observation Deck.

And perhaps that's evidence enough to take away their right to own the building in the first place.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:35 PM   #2676
RMD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I think the developers of Salesforce Tower don't know what they're doing and the best evidence of this is the lack of an Observation Deck.

And perhaps that's evidence enough to take away their right to own the building in the first place.


SF skyscrapers don't need observation decks
vs " flat " cities like Paris, London , NYC , downtown LA , because nothing beats the iconic , free eastward sunrise / night time dramatic views DOWN to its skyline , the Bay Bridge , the Bay and the East Bay skylines and hills from centrally located Twin Peaks , as well as the dramatic northward afternoon and esp sunset views of Alcatraz, the North Bay/Marin Headlands/Sausalito , the Bay and esp the Golden Gate Bridge from Mount Davidson , just a mile north of Twin Peaks .
( SF has 7 main " hills/peaks " ) !!
__________________

raider12 liked this post
RMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:42 PM   #2677
RMD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
Likes (Received): 10

View eastward from observation area of Twin Peaks :
RMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:43 PM   #2678
RMD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
Likes (Received): 10

view northward from Mount Davidson :
RMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:50 PM   #2679
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 351

They considered it:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/p...se-6447721.php

Before I read that article I'd already considered that some cities have pretty good natural vantage points reducing the need for artificial platforms. SF and LA seem like two such places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
To me it's more surprising because they could earn a mountain of cash in ticket receipts. Let's recall that the ESB earns more from its observation deck than the whole building's worth of office rent, and that's in a city with two other (arguably superior) decks.

But undoubtedly the developers did their homework and determined that it wouldn't be beneficial. I would guess anchor-tenant Salesforce expressed a desire not to have a bunch of pedestrian tourist traffic clogging up the entrances to their crown jewel of a headquarters.

So yeah, it's a bummer for the rest of us. But at this point, it's nearly as annoying to have the topic crop up on every page in this thread when it's been discussed to death.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 11:06 PM   #2680
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 351

Bingo! Just as I said above, some folks regard buildings as public property. Of course, the busybodies always know better how to design and evaluate the economics of a vastly expensive construction project.

If the public want an observation deck, let them all get together and build one on the readily available public land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I think the developers of Salesforce Tower don't know what they're doing and the best evidence of this is the lack of an Observation Deck.

And perhaps that's evidence enough to take away their right to own the building in the first place.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium