daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #2861
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

How much fun, that job right there.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #2862
Ferryman

Likes (Received): 79

Wow, the skyline really looks alot different to the last time i visited San Francisco in 2015!
I'm excited to say i'm coming back this September and can't wait to see this in person and hopefully to get a few good shots from the Bay Bridge of the skyline.

I'm a bit gutted this won't have a public viewing platform as i would have paid good money to see the views of the city from up there, but you can't have everything.

I'm from near London, and i love New York City... but San Francisco is my favourite US city by far

raider12 liked this post
Ferryman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #2863
DeaconG
Registered Kibitzer

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
What is that tower in the background? A power transmission tower? Radio antenna? I've never noticed it in pics on San Fran before...
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2
DeaconG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #2864
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconG View Post
What is that tower in the background? A power transmission tower? Radio antenna? I've never noticed it in pics on San Fran before...
it's pretty hard to miss that, if you were here you're eyes must have been always focused on Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay, cant say as i blame you. Sutro Tower, for radio and TV transmission. If you've only seen pictures of The City then understandable

DeaconG liked this post
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #2865
RMD

Likes (Received): 10

SAN FRANCISCO | Salesforce Tower | 326m | 1070ft | 61 fl | T/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconG View Post

that is Sutro Tower , raised almost 44 yrs ago ( at about the same time of the also much fought against " ugly " Transamerica Pyramid ! ) to better broadcast the old school analog TV and FM radio signals over the hilly BayArea terrain ..fairly obsolete for orig purpose today as 90-95% of homes get TV via cable/internet and FM was never really improved as it still cut out with staticky multipath distortion every other block in the City and suburbs ...now more useful for and full of transmission gear for today's microwaves , cell svc , etc

it was battled against for years and is still reviled as an eyesore by most and at 900+ ft tall on top of 900 ft Mount Sutro in the exact ctr of the city , it looms 1800+ ft over everything and looks like a metal sculpture of an 1850s-era clipper ship ( via its topping of three suspension bridge-like masts ) perched atop an asymmetric tri legged monster ...very ghostly esp when that area is ( frequently ) enshrouded by thick fog and only the " shipwreck " portion pokes out ...that mtn also blocks the fog from the much warmer and sunnier " trendy/hip " gentrifying eastern side of town incl the Mission, Mission Bay and Hunters Point/ Naval Shipyards

Touristy and Tourism Office photos ALWAYS aim away from it but in person it is pretty much in your face

here is link to its WIKI incl a close up pic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutro_Tower

San Franciscans have battled against almost ANY construction that would dare alter their " fragile / precious " gem of a city , warts and all , even someone building their own single family home , for the past ,oh , 70 years or so since build out ...it's part of why real estate is so expensive here !

DeaconG liked this post

Last edited by RMD; April 15th, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
RMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #2866
SoCal Alan

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
How much fun, that job right there.
I think I would need a couple beers every day after work...

The-E-Vid, Nuwanda liked this post
SoCal Alan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #2867
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 789

Sutro Tower has become a very 'San Francisco thing' underground. It's like the black sheep of the family and many people do love black sheeps in some ways. Many young locals find appealing to use it as an item of the city's identity rather than the other touristic well known attractions. You can find shirts, stickers, posters with its image and even tattoos of it.
In my personal opinion, it's an obsolete ugly structure right in the middle of a beautiful City but that's the San Francisco full of contrasts that I love.

DeaconG liked this post
The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #2868
RMD

Likes (Received): 10

SAN FRANCISCO | Salesforce Tower | 326m | 1070ft | 61 fl | T/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-E-Vid View Post
Sutro Tower has become a very 'San Francisco thing' underground. It's like the black sheep of the family and many people do love black sheeps in some ways. Many young locals find appealing to use it as an item of the city's identity rather than the other touristic well known attractions. You can find shirts, stickers, posters with its image and even tattoos of it.
In my personal opinion, it's an obsolete ugly structure right in the middle of a beautiful City but that's the San Francisco full of contrasts that I love.

there it is : a pic of the fog-enshrouded ginormous " shipwrecked ghost ship " , 1800 ft above the ctr of town that I alluded to earlier , visible from all directions and for many here the only time it adds to the city's iconic/dramatic scenes when its three ungainly turkey legs are " skirted " by nature's " feathers " !

DeaconG liked this post

Last edited by RMD; April 15th, 2017 at 07:29 PM.
RMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #2869
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5158

Quote:
Originally Posted by potipoti View Post
What is that thing they cover the steel beams with and why do they use it for? Fire protection?

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #2870
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD View Post

and is still reviled as an eyesore by most
Not really. Some people hate it (especially old folks who were around before it was built) but as someone who was born and raised in SF after it was built, I've always liked it. And i feel like most other people who have ever mentioned it to me, either like it too (it's an unmistakable landmark and symbol if SF, and looks kinda cool), or are indifferent.

The-E-Vid, raider12 liked this post
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #2871
DeaconG
Registered Kibitzer

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD View Post
there it is : a pic of the fog-enshrouded ginormous " shipwrecked ghost ship " , 1800 ft above the ctr of town that I alluded to earlier , visible from all directions and for many here the only time it adds to the city's iconic/dramatic scenes when its three ungainly turkey legs are " skirted " by nature's " feathers " !
Thank you gentlemen for your descriptions, I thought that's what it was. It looks like a much larger version of UHF/VHF satellite transmit antennas I used to work on 35 years ago.

Looks much more elegant than the forest of TV and radio antennas on the hills of Manayunk in Philly where I grew up...
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2
DeaconG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #2872
DOOMNES

Likes (Received): 563

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...12764416_n.jpg

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...70262016_n.jpg

Munwon, man2anjos liked this post

Last edited by DOOMNES; April 15th, 2017 at 11:34 PM.
DOOMNES no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #2873
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Wow, the skyline really looks alot different to the last time i visited San Francisco in 2015!
I'm excited to say i'm coming back this September and can't wait to see this in person and hopefully to get a few good shots from the Bay Bridge of the skyline.

I'm a bit gutted this won't have a public viewing platform as i would have paid good money to see the views of the city from up there, but you can't have everything.

I'm from near London, and i love New York City... but San Francisco is my favourite US city by far
That is great that you are visiting SF and it is also great that it is your favorite US city. I still don't get why they don't have a observation deck. Most of the major cities in the world have a observation deck in their tallest building. Pisses me off.

Ferryman liked this post
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #2874
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-E-Vid View Post

I think Sutro Tower looks ugly.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 01:10 AM   #2875
IThomas

Can't wait to see this completed. Great addition for SF: my favourite city in the US West coast

enrigue8 liked this post
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #2876
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
What is that thing they cover the steel beams with and why do they use it for? Fire protection?
yes, sprayed on beams for fire protection. Supposedly much improved after what happened inside the World Trade Center on Sept. 11th, 2001
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #2877
Ferryman

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
That is great that you are visiting SF and it is also great that it is your favorite US city. I still don't get why they don't have a observation deck. Most of the major cities in the world have a observation deck in their tallest building. Pisses me off.
Why thank you! The first time i visited the America's Cup was on and i fell in love with the city then, so much so, as the cliche goes 'i left some of my heart in San Francisco' as i always feel home sick when i think about it which is bizarre as i'm English and have never lived there.

As for your point about the observation deck, i 100% agree it is a wasted opportunity. I'm sure tourists and residents alike would pay around $20 to go up and see those city and bay views, in fact, i'd pay more!

Old April 16th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #2878
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

And by the way, Sutro Tower was the tallest structure in San Francisco, tallest than the Trans America Building, until the construction of Salesforce.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #2879
Nuwanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider12 View Post
yes, sprayed on beams for fire protection. Supposedly much improved after what happened inside the World Trade Center on Sept. 11th, 2001
Good point.

Images and commentary of said missing fireproofing:

http://www.debunking911.com/fires.htm

raider12 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:45 AM   #2880
Nuwanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
I think I would need a couple beers every day after work...
Any excuse...

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower