daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #2881
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Pretty good 10min doco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAd2vpy4TcU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconG View Post
Thank you gentlemen for your descriptions, I thought that's what it was. It looks like a much larger version of UHF/VHF satellite transmit antennas I used to work on 35 years ago.

Looks much more elegant than the forest of TV and radio antennas on the hills of Manayunk in Philly where I grew up...

DeaconG liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #2882
RMD

Likes (Received): 10

SAN FRANCISCO | Salesforce Tower | 326m | 1070ft | 61 fl | T/O

the reason pure tourist oriented observation decks ( vs top floor public accessible eateries/bars/etc ) don't exist in SF towers incl Salesforce is that its developers know it would be a losing proposition - in a tourism town no less -for the simple reason that most all visitors here want to see all the beauty of the area from the natural high vantage points looking DOWN from OUTDOORS like historic Coit Tower atop Telegraph Hill , Twin Peaks in ctr of SF , the iconic view of the sun setting behind SF through the Golden Gate from high atop the pretty Berkeley hills in the East Bay or the similarly iconic views looking down to the Golden Gate Bridge and the SF skyline behind it from the dramatic Marin County Headlands or Mt Tamalpais to the north . I have never had any visitors in my 5 decades here wanting to go into a top floor eatery/bar to see a bunch of other skyscrapers jammed in around it . When I lived in pancake -flat Chicago ( with my favorite US skyline and still the architectural mother of the world ) for three years , we took all our eager visiting guests to atop the Sears and Hancock observation levels because that was/is the only way to get an elevated view and tourists have to and do that " pay to play " , as there is no alternative short of chartering a helicopter !

The-E-Vid, cnbnca, raider12, j-biz liked this post

Last edited by RMD; April 16th, 2017 at 07:44 AM.
RMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:57 AM   #2883
SkyscraperLover2K16

Likes (Received): 49

Wouldn't it be cool if the builders surprised us all by saying that the top would be an observation deck, that would be an awesome surprise.

Nick Holmes liked this post
SkyscraperLover2K16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #2884
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13268

Salesforce Tower under construction by Kenneth Lu, en Flickr

DSC_14215 by jhk&alk, en Flickr

DSC_14216 by jhk&alk, en Flickr
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #2885
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD View Post
the reason pure tourist oriented observation decks ( vs top floor public accessible eateries/bars/etc ) don't exist in SF towers incl Salesforce is that its developers know it would be a losing proposition - in a tourism town no less -for the simple reason that most all visitors here want to see all the beauty of the area from the natural high vantage points looking DOWN from OUTDOORS like historic Coit Tower atop Telegraph Hill , Twin Peaks in ctr of SF , the iconic view of the sun setting behind SF through the Golden Gate from high atop the pretty Berkeley hills in the East Bay or the similarly iconic views looking down to the Golden Gate Bridge and the SF skyline behind it from the dramatic Marin County Headlands or Mt Tamalpais to the north . I have never had any visitors in my 5 decades here wanting to go into a top floor eatery/bar to see a bunch of other skyscrapers jammed in around it . When I lived in pancake -flat Chicago ( with my favorite US skyline and still the architectural mother of the world ) for three years , we took all our eager visiting guests to atop the Sears and Hancock observation levels because that was/is the only way to get an elevated view and tourists have to and do that " pay to play " , as there is no alternative short of chartering a helicopter !
I disagree. It would still be unbelievable to go up there to catch the views from Salesforce Tower. I still will contend that they made a major mistake in not having a observation deck. Hong Kong, a city that has gorgeous views as well, has observation decks in a few of their tallest buildings. I think Hong Kong has the best skyline in the world.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #2886
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperLover2K16 View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if the builders surprised us all by saying that the top would be an observation deck, that would be an awesome surprise.
Too bad it ain't going to happen. They already announce that the top floor is free for groups to hold events on weeknights or weekends.

SkyscraperLover2K16 liked this post

Last edited by lovecities888; April 17th, 2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:36 AM   #2887
Nuwanda

Observation decks have to be a part of initial planning. You don't just throw one one in at the last moment.

Public access, safety, and many other things--most of them regulated by the state--have to be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
Too bad it ain't going to happen. They already announce that the top floor is free for groups to hold events on weeknights or weekends.
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:59 AM   #2888
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
Observation decks have to be a part of initial planning. You don't just throw one one in at the last moment.

Public access, safety, and many other things--most of them regulated by the state--have to be considered.
But one of LA's tallest building has just added a observation deck a couple of years ago and that building opened in the 1980s.
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #2889
Nuwanda

Hold on, I didn't say an observation deck *couldn't* be opened on an existing structure, I said there were a lot of considerations and compliance aspects. These are changes a brand new, still-under-construction building would not want to deal with for a variety of reasons.

Changes are often made to structures as time goes by, the US Bank deck being one such example. And keep in mind it often happens in reverse; look at how many decks used to exist that are now closed.

Quote:
But one of LA's tallest building has just added a observation deck a couple of years ago and that building opened in the 1980s.
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:20 AM   #2890
baronson

Likes (Received): 722

Such a satisfying building to watch come together. Can't wait till they light it up.
baronson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #2891
Sector 7

Likes (Received): 71

Well, can anyone tell me why the cladding went up so fast before? It was only about 3-4 days and the cladding on all four sides (at least 2 sides) of the building went shooting up like crazy. And, the normal speed was more like 3 times slower than that 3-4 days time, and the building had been progressing totally normally throughout the whole construction progress until now (except that 3-4 days).
Sector 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:09 AM   #2892
Sector 7

Well, can anyone tell me why the cladding shot up so quickly before? It was only 3-4 days time and the cladding went up like mad. Normal construction progress of the tower was more like 3 times slower than that. And the speed of this tower's construction was normal all the time except for those 3-4 days time in particular. The cladding, anyway, looks stunning! Hope it opens soon.

Now, am I allowed a bit off topic? I posted the same post (the first paragraph of this new one) and it disappeared immediately after I edited it. Can someone tell me why?
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #2893
Sector 7

Oh, the first post was just a bit slow.
Old April 20th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #2894
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31846

cruise ship terminal workers by patrick boury, on Flickr

streetscapeer liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #2895
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Even though the Salesforce Tower is taller, the Transamerica Pyramid still looks more imposing.
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #2896
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10290

From that one specific angle. Overall, Salesforce makes Transamerica look tiny.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

techniques1200s liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #2897
jchernin

Likes (Received): 535

instadroner on Instagram

instadroner on Instagram
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:47 AM   #2898
Nuwanda

holy crapola, that's nice.
Old April 20th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #2899
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
Even though the Salesforce Tower is taller, the Transamerica Pyramid still looks more imposing.
lol...

that's only because the transamerica is closer in that picture. Salesforce is obviously much bigger, and dominates the skyline from many angles.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #2900
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 857

Nice to see curved glass on the corners of a supertall.. Any close-up pictures of those round glass corners ? Also congrats for topping out.

Last edited by Pohtija; April 20th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower