daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #3001
steveve

Likes (Received): 157

Took these photos during a visit first week of May:

Many more photos on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevevephotostream

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #3002
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31787

Different Perspective by Mark Gunn, on Flickr
Old May 16th, 2017, 03:03 AM   #3003
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
181 freemont is a MASTERPIECE, but its being overshadowed by the height of this tower.

Wow I didnt even realize that, these are both blatantly influenced by Hong Kong.
Well, the Salesforce Tower was designed by the same architecture company that designed the IFC building in HK. The company that designed Fremont 181 probably liked what they saw from the Bank of China Tower and took a couple of design ideas from it.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 02:41 AM   #3004
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

Yea the salesforce tower design is played out at this pont. First used in Hong Kong then the same architect took the same design and chopped the top off and planted it in Jersey City, then they took the same design again and put it in San Fran. Hopefully this is the last one. That last picture is great this thing dominates the San Francisco skyline.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #3005
lovecities888

Quote:
Yea the salesforce tower design is played out at this pont. First used in Hong Kong then the same architect took the same design and chopped the top off and planted it in Jersey City, then they took the same design again and put it in San Fran. Hopefully this is the last one. That last picture is great this thing dominates the San Francisco skyline.
The tower in Jersey City is actually not a Pelli building. It just looks similar to the IFC building in Hong Kong. There is one in Chile too that looks similar to this design.

Last edited by lovecities888; May 17th, 2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #3006
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Somehow, Costanera Center looks rather similar to Lotte World Tower to me.
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #3007
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Yea the salesforce tower design is played out at this pont. First used in Hong Kong then the same architect took the same design and chopped the top off and planted it in Jersey City, then they took the same design again and put it in San Fran. Hopefully this is the last one.
And that's not to mention Bank of America Center in Charlotte, which is sort of a hybrid between Salesforce/IFC and Pelli's 777 Tower.

(IMO, BofA is one of the few great PoMo towers of the 80s-00s, along with Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis, 383 Madison in NYC, and US Bank Tower in LA)

Pelli has certainly gotten a lot of mileage -- more than 25 years! -- out of this same basic shape but I agree, after this tower, I hope he moves on.

Last edited by MarshallKnight; May 17th, 2017 at 10:57 PM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #3008
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Somehow, Costanera Center looks rather similar to Lotte World Tower to me.
Except that 1 is over 1800 feet tall and the other is about 900 feet tall.
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #3009
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

I think it's neither. It's highly reminiscent of the Art Deco classics, particularly the ESB.

It's a lovely building, for sure, but only in the softer angles of its upper stories does it resemble those mentioned. The elegant and subtle stepping is ESB all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
And that's not to mention Bank of America Center in Charlotte, which is sort of a hybrid between Salesforce/IFC and Pelli's 777 Tower.

(IMO, BofA is one of the few great PoMo towers of the 80s-00s, along with Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis, 383 Madison in NYC, and US Bank Tower in LA)

Pelli has certainly gotten a lot of mileage -- more than 25 years! -- out of this same basic shape but I agree, after this tower, I hope he moves on.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #3010
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50800

Untitled by ℙαґḯṧḯ℮ηηε, on Flickr
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #3011
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
I think it's neither. It's highly reminiscent of the Art Deco classics, particularly the ESB.
It's got 4 of the most essential Art Deco styling element types, indeed. But it is in fact representing a merely postmodern architectural trend.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #3012
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
Im more of a fan of the building to the right than Salesforce. As has already been pointed out, Salesforce is kinda generic. But the one to the right is far out.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:55 AM   #3013
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11211

Taken this just now from one of my favorite coffeeshops one block over on Market Street...

Woodside

Zaz965, BLACK DAHLIA, goodybear liked this post
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #3014
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Im more of a fan of the building to the right than Salesforce. As has already been pointed out, Salesforce is kinda generic. But the one to the right is far out.
Although not too different from the crane attached to it... And to the other towers u/c.
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #3015
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
How can you call my love a "hate"? It is a passion for a good and valid architecture, and when a "4" of an architectural edifice is compared to a "9" - I just can't say they're equal.
a 4, eh?

Interesting opinion. Also, who's asking you to say that they're equal?

AP Design liked this post
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #3016
AP Design
BANNED

You're right: nobody can say they're equal. 4 and 9 are way too far apart.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #3017
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13256

@DShadravan
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #3018
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11211

To me, it does not matter much if the architectural design is either poor or great; what matters more, in my opinion, is its function. You can have a grand structure, but inside, you have way too much empty spaces that are confined in way too many rooms, tucked away in a grand facade. In contrast, you can have a humble building, but go inside, and you see a wealth of activities that can make your eye feasting on the features... Salesforce Tower, to me, is just that. Not only will it house Salesforce HQ, but it will also host to a large transit center and "eatery row" (hopefully) that will lure so many people to go through the structure, get fed, and shop a little before boarding their buses and trains to their destinations.

Woodside
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #3019
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
To me, it does not matter much if the architectural design is either poor or great; what matters more, in my opinion, is its function. You can have a grand structure, but inside, you have way too much empty spaces that are confined in way too many rooms, tucked away in a grand facade. In contrast, you can have a humble building, but go inside, and you see a wealth of activities that can make your eye feasting on the features... Salesforce Tower, to me, is just that. Not only will it house Salesforce HQ, but it will also host to a large transit center and "eatery row" (hopefully) that will lure so many people to go through the structure, get fed, and shop a little before boarding their buses and trains to their destinations.
Do you teach urban planning or something? Anyway, what is your opinion on them not having a observation deck for this building? I still contend it is a big mistake.
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #3020
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

If I'm not mistaken, this building has the highest roof in the whole hemisphere outside of New York and Chicago.

Well done SF
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower