daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2017, 11:10 PM   #3101
Mcully56964

Likes (Received): 34

^ SF definitely ranks number 3 on my list because of this tower. Can't wait until the Oceanwide center joins the skyline which will make it even better!

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2017, 01:16 AM   #3102
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

The first crane seems to be fully disassembled.

There seems to be a small crane on top of the tower that I have not seen before. Can someone confirm?
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 02:07 AM   #3103
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
Gorgeous photo. I know SF's skyline can't compare to NYC's, but how do you like it overall?
We can't compare SF to NYC's full skyline but Downtown SF could give Lower Manhattan a run for its money.

MarshallKnight liked this post
The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #3104
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-E-Vid View Post
We can't compare SF to NYC's full skyline but Downtown SF could give Lower Manhattan a run for its money.
i dont think so , as beautiful as it is

PinkFloyd, A Chicagoan liked this post
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 03:42 AM   #3105
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Quote:
Gorgeous photo. I know SF's skyline can't compare to NYC's, but how do you like it overall?
I love SF. Easily the No. 3 skyline in the nation and a gorgeous natural setting. Not to mention the great community.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 05:09 AM   #3106
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider12 View Post
i dont think so , as beautiful as it is
Comparing Lower Manhattan's to Downtown SF's skyline, I'll take SF's.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #3107
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I love SF. Easily the No. 3 skyline in the nation and a gorgeous natural setting. Not to mention the great community.
I keep going back and forth between whether SF or Miami has the 3rd best skyline in America. With Salesforce Tower going up, I'll have to give the nod to SF for now.

raider12 liked this post
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #3108
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50800

TOWER LS by bacalao, on Flickr

SFT by bacalao, on Flickr

Munwon, baronson, goodybear, mafd12 liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; June 18th, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #3109
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Quote:
I keep going back and forth between whether SF or Miami has the 3rd best skyline in America. With Salesforce Tower going up, I'll have to give the nod to SF for now.
The Salesforce tower is absolutely beautiful. Where San Francisco falls short of Miami is the shear number of towers classified as a skyscraper. As a matter of fact, it's not even close. That said, to each his own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old June 17th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #3110
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
The Salesforce tower is absolutely beautiful. Where San Francisco falls short of Miami is the shear number of towers classified as a skyscraper. As a matter of fact, it's not even close. That said, to each his own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Not even close?

According to the definition used on this website, Miami has 6 skyscrapers, while SF has 5 skyscrapers. How is that not close?

And according to the standards of emporis.com, Miami has 112 skyscrapers built and under construction, while SF has 89 of them. That's pretty close too.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #3111
hpal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
Not even close?

According to the definition used on this website, Miami has 6 skyscrapers, while SF has 5 skyscrapers. How is that not close?

And according to the standards of emporis.com, Miami has 112 skyscrapers built and under construction, while SF has 89 of them. That's pretty close too.
There are over 200 skyscrapers in Miami. And if you add Miami Beach it swells to over 250 skyscrapers. As far as San Fran is concerned, that city has a hell of a lot more skyscrapers than 5. I think you need some skyscraper 101. While Emporis is not always the most reliable source of info, they are pretty damn good about city skyline rankings and Miami is consistently in third place. If that is not good enough, check out CTBUH.
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:52 AM   #3112
SSMEX

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
There are over 200 skyscrapers in Miami. And if you add Miami Beach it swells to over 250 skyscrapers. As far as San Fran is concerned, that city has a hell of a lot more skyscrapers than 5. I think you need some skyscraper 101. While Emporis is not always the most reliable source of info, they are pretty damn good about city skyline rankings and Miami is consistently in third place. If that is not good enough, check out CTBUH.
Those numbers are off by quite a bit. Using the widely-accepted minimum of 150m to classify as a skyscraper, according to the CTBUH Skyscraper Center database, Miami has 37 whereas SF has 21. If Miami had 200 skyscrapers, it'd have more than any city other than New York (254) and Hong Kong (316).
SSMEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:17 AM   #3113
hpal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMEX View Post
Those numbers are off by quite a bit. Using the widely-accepted minimum of 150m to classify as a skyscraper, according to the CTBUH Skyscraper Center database, Miami has 37 whereas SF has 21. If Miami had 200 skyscrapers, it'd have more than any city other than New York (254) and Hong Kong (316).
Here is where we both are off. I simply looked up on emporis under building types and Miami does indeed have that high of a number. I did not look far enough to see that the over 200 number includes "never built". This time I went through page by page and counted proposed and completed buildings. Miami has a total of 160, which 18 of those are in Miami Beach and must count too. San Fran has a total of 92 proposed and completed. Both cities have more than 5 and 6 which is off more than you and I by a mile. By those numbers, my point of not even close still stands.

Btw, 450' or 150m is not the "widely accepted" minimum height. Many architects and developers use 300' as a benchmark for a skyscraper. The term skyscraper can vary city by city too. City govt and media in lets say K.C., MO may count buildings as tall, when the same may not apply to a city such as Chicago. Buildings in Memphis, TN may be called tall, while those building if they were located in NYC, they would probably not be considered as tall. As to CTBUH, they do not have a standard on measuring skyscrapers. Their standards only apply to supertalls and megatalls.

https://www.emporis.com/city/101040/...pe/skyscrapers

https://www.emporis.com/city/101321/...pe/skyscrapers

Last edited by hpal3; June 18th, 2017 at 06:34 AM.
hpal3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #3114
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

^ Don't use Skyscrapercity's definition of a skyscraper to calculate skyscrapers. Use CTBUH's definition, the official definition which clearly states that any building over 500' tall is a skyscraper. I do however believe that Miami has more skyscrapers (using the 500' defintion) than San Francisco, however Miami doesn't have that many extremely tall buildings just a lot of 500-600 footers. I personally favor Miami's skyline over San Francisco. I rate SF the 4th best skyline and Miami th third, I think you guys are forgetting about Chicago!
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:07 AM   #3115
SanFranRising

Likes (Received): 15

No. I do not think we are forgetting about Chicago. Chicago is firmly at #2. What is debatable is the #3 and #4 positions. I of course will put SF at #3 and Miami at #4. Just like everything else in this forum, it's all personal preference. Since I am not King of the World or God of all Skyscrapers, I will accept your right to your dumb opinion cuz of course we all live in a free democratic society and #5 is a toss up between L.A. and Philly. There, I have spoken... Ha!
SanFranRising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #3116
hpal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI10000 View Post
^ Don't use Skyscrapercity's definition of a skyscraper to calculate skyscrapers. Use CTBUH's definition, the official definition which clearly states that any building over 500' tall is a skyscraper. I do however believe that Miami has more skyscrapers (using the 500' defintion) than San Francisco, however Miami doesn't have that many extremely tall buildings just a lot of 500-600 footers. I personally favor Miami's skyline over San Francisco. I rate SF the 4th best skyline and Miami th third, I think you guys are forgetting about Chicago!
Again, CTBUH only has a minimum number when counting supertalls and megatalls. There is no minimum for tall with anything under 984' or 300m. The reason why they do not have a minimum for tall buildings is because it is too subjective. You can not point to this organization using 500' as a minimum anywhere on this page:

http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/H...S/Default.aspx

Last edited by hpal3; June 18th, 2017 at 06:33 AM.
hpal3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #3117
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Quote:
I'm the same. Miami has an impressive array of skyscrapers and supertalls lined up, but very few are in any phase of construction yet. SF will remain my No 3 for a few years until Miami's multiple tall projects are visible on the skyline. Miami has more supertalls proposed than those which are built AND U/C in Chicago. That's nuts.

Last edited by Hudson11; June 18th, 2017 at 07:08 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #3118
SSMEX

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Here is where we both are off. I simply looked up on emporis under building types and Miami does indeed have that high of a number. I did not look far enough to see that the over 200 number includes "never built". This time I went through page by page and counted proposed and completed buildings. Miami has a total of 160, which 18 of those are in Miami Beach and must count too. San Fran has a total of 92 proposed and completed. Both cities have more than 5 and 6 which is off more than you and I by a mile. By those numbers, my point of not even close still stands.

Btw, 450' or 150m is not the "widely accepted" minimum height. Many architects and developers use 300' as a benchmark for a skyscraper. The term skyscraper can vary city by city too. City govt and media in lets say K.C., MO may count buildings as tall, when the same may not apply to a city such as Chicago. Buildings in Memphis, TN may be called tall, while those building if they were located in NYC, they would probably not be considered as tall. As to CTBUH, they do not have a standard on measuring skyscrapers. Their standards only apply to supertalls and megatalls.

https://www.emporis.com/city/101040/...pe/skyscrapers

https://www.emporis.com/city/101321/...pe/skyscrapers
I'm looking at your numbers and the Emporis database and what it all comes down to is what you consider to be the minimum height to be skyscraper.

To make a fair comparison, I'm only considering completed and under construction buildings, which are the only ones that matter in the near future. A lot of proposed buildings never make it past the proposal stage. Here's the data:

Code:
         SF  Miami  Miami Beach

200m+     5      7   0
150m+    25     56   2
100m+    91    116  17
All these numbers come from the excellent comparison tool on the CTBUH Skyscraper Center page: http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/comp...t=Show+Results

Bottom line is that, numerically, Miami wins out in every category, but the quality of a skyline is also defined by other more subjective factors. Many people may prefer the SF skyline because all the tall buildings are congregated in one downtown core, whereas Miami's are more spread out.
SSMEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #3119
THT-United
MILLENNIUM FALCON

Likes (Received): 635

Just watched "Big Hero 6" and that SalesForce Tower reminds me of the tallest building in that fictional city of San Fransokyo... Same design even if the actual tower is much lower!
THT-United no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #3120
SanFranRising

Likes (Received): 15

Totally agree with SSMEX. Sometimes quantity does not equal a quality skyline. The aesthetic of the skyline is ruined with way too many buildings that seem to continue into the horizon. I have seen pictures of SOME cities in South America and Asia where the it's not really a "skyline". It is just a hodgepodge of apartment/condo towers/some office towers and ego towers that go on, it seems, forever.
SanFranRising no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower