daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2017, 12:14 AM   #3121
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

That's the point.

A classic skyline has a balance to it, like a mountain range does. Without a doubt SF's skyline is beautifully balanced by not only the buildings, but by the hills, the shape of the bay and the associated structures such as bridges.

Even then, you *can* find angles from which SF looks a little mundane. But those angles are few. In some cities, you have to work hard to find a nice angle. That's the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranRising View Post
Totally agree with SSMEX. Sometimes quantity does not equal a quality skyline. The aesthetic of the skyline is ruined with way too many buildings that seem to continue into the horizon. I have seen pictures of SOME cities in South America and Asia where the it's not really a "skyline". It is just a hodgepodge of apartment/condo towers/some office towers and ego towers that go on, it seems, forever.

The-E-Vid, streetscapeer, raider12 liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #3122
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 789

I also agree, some people like a sea of skyscrapers, others will look other features as natural settings and specific architecture. Totally subjective opinions. The thing is if we go just by the number of skyscrapers then we would have to see some skylines full of boring boxy white buildings in the podium.

What make NYC #1, Density? Natural settings?
The Empire State and Central Park? Personal bias just because it's iconic fame?

See, it could be all of the above and yet could be none of it. It is what it is, nobody says NYC is #1 because the number of skyscrapers in a list. Unless we are specifically doing that for a statistics chart.
The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:50 AM   #3123
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranRising View Post
Totally agree with SSMEX. Sometimes quantity does not equal a quality skyline. The aesthetic of the skyline is ruined with way too many buildings that seem to continue into the horizon. I have seen pictures of SOME cities in South America and Asia where the it's not really a "skyline". It is just a hodgepodge of apartment/condo towers/some office towers and ego towers that go on, it seems, forever.
Like Sao Paulo or Rio De Jeniro?
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #3124
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

One thing NYC has is history. It's a massive urban complex with 400 years of history.

But so is London, right? Nope. The difference is, at its heart, NYC is a vertical city, a skyscraper city.

Add to *that* the complex geography, large bridges, multiple building clumps, the sheer density, well, it has it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-E-Vid View Post
What make NYC #1, Density? Natural settings?
The Empire State and Central Park? Personal bias just because it's iconic fame?

streetscapeer liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #3125
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
One thing NYC has is history. It's a massive urban complex with 400 years of history.

But so is London, right? Nope. The difference is, at its heart, NYC is a vertical city, a skyscraper city.

Add to *that* the complex geography, large bridges, multiple building clumps, the sheer density, well, it has it all.
That's what I'm saying, nobody ranks NYC #1 for its 262 skyscrapers solely but for bunch of subjective reasons other than numbers.
The same apply for other american cities and their skyline. If someone likes Miami over SF just because the first has more skyscrapers, well it's correct but in practice we value other things in a skyline that sometimes it's not about the buildings themselves but setting, lanscape, etc that put them up in the ranking of beauty and not just numbers.

So if you guys consider Miami #3 for whatever reasons that's cool. The beauty is on the eyes of the beholder, unless we're discussing statistics and numbers but we're not doing that here, or so I think because then Houston is #4 and not SF. ( Hell no )
The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:35 AM   #3126
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I love SF. Easily the No. 3 skyline in the nation and a gorgeous natural setting. Not to mention the great community.
Actually, San Francisco is pretty far back on my list of best skylines in the United States. Even with the Salesforce Tower, it doesn't make my top five, but at least it just got better.
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #3127
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Chicagoan View Post
Actually, San Francisco is pretty far back on my list of best skylines in the United States. Even with the Salesforce Tower, it doesn't make my top five, but at least it just got better.
How can it not be in the top 5? It is a city with one of the top 5 most high rise buildings in America with a gorgeous setting. What is your top 5 then?

Last edited by lovecities888; June 19th, 2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #3128
saintkilledher

Likes (Received): 124

Hi from Australia..sf is the 3rd best skyline in the u.s easily ..it's attractive and dense and getting really tall and one of the best backdrops in the world.. Looking forward to seeing it get even better over the next few years. Sexy San Fran.

raider12 liked this post
saintkilledher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #3129
jonnys

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Chicagoan View Post
If it's pretty far back on your list, which cities do you think are better and why? I'm not meaning to sound off, I'm genuinely interested to find out. I've spent a fair bit of time in various parts of the States and I tend to agree with most on here. The combination of the new builds and the topography of San Francisco definitely put it right up there for impact. Granted, if you were to put some of the buildings in a Midwest city or Florida (where it's pretty flat), it might lose some appeal but as it is, I would say top 3 or 4.
jonnys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #3130
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 2933

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT-United View Post
Just watched "Big Hero 6" and that SalesForce Tower reminds me of the tallest building in that fictional city of San Fransokyo... Same design even if the actual tower is much lower!
Well "Big Hero 6" is set in an alternate universe wherein the Japanese won WW2 or something like that so it made sense the SalesForce Tower or whatever its called over there would be much higher...

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection

HBC liked this post
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #3131
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13266

@JohnKingSFChron

@carlosgvelaz

@crquick

@JohnKingSFChron

@AboveTheBay

@JohnKingSFChron
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #3132
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50833

New Kids on the Block by Adam Derewecki, on Flickr

San Francisco skyline from Potrero Hill by Adam Derewecki, on Flickr

SF Skyline at Night cropped by Adam Derewecki, on Flickr

SF Skyline at Night wide by Adam Derewecki, on Flickr

DPP_0036 by Eric Bensinger, on Flickr

DPP_0078 by Eric Bensinger, on Flickr

gaab1972, SoCal Alan, Munwon, hayds, Eddie55 and 10 others liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; June 19th, 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #3133
lovecities888

Just gorgeous photos. It still seems to me that both the Salesforce Tower and the Transamerica Pyramid look taller than its height. But maybe that is just me.
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:06 AM   #3134
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 428

SAN FRANCISCO | Salesforce Tower | 326m | 1070ft | 61 fl | T/O

@JohnKingSFChron

What are those white thingies on springs??
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:19 AM   #3135
CityHunterID

Likes (Received): 46

The tower is so sexy
CityHunterID no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #3137
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 237

@JohnKingSFChron

What are those white thingies on springs??[/QUOTE]

Those must be LED lights
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:08 AM   #3138
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintkilledher View Post
Hi from Australia..sf is the 3rd best skyline in the u.s easily ..it's attractive and dense and getting really tall and one of the best backdrops in the world.. Looking forward to seeing it get even better over the next few years. Sexy San Fran.
exactly Aussie , it's a sexy skyline, like Miami's. NYC puts you in awe while SF's soothes you ..............LA or Philly? the view of Philly's from the baseball stadium in south philly gives Philly the edge there but LA's is more sexy.
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:28 PM   #3139
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21139

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-E-Vid View Post
We can't compare SF to NYC's full skyline but Downtown SF could give Lower Manhattan a run for its money.
Things would improve is the Treasure Island became a cluster of >1000 ft buildings, and if all Caltrain and BART stations outside SF until San Jose on both sides of the Bay had their surroundings upzoned for big towers as well.

DUBAI10000 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:02 PM   #3140
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50833

DSC01124-20170618-1 by Nikhil Prabhakar, on Flickr

DSC01126-20170618-1 by Nikhil Prabhakar, on Flickr

goodybear, enrigue8, gaab1972, Munwon, alpin13 and 1 others liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower