daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:43 AM   #3141
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Things would improve is the Treasure Island became a cluster of >1000 ft buildings, and if all Caltrain and BART stations outside SF until San Jose on both sides of the Bay had their surroundings upzoned for big towers as well.
SF probably isn't going to see another 1,000+ flooter for a while. Zoning would have to be changed as there are currently no sites zoned that high. And it probably wouldn't be on treasure Island, because the rich/powerful Telegraph Hill NIMBYs would probably lose their shit over it.

But there is an approved redevelopment plan for Treasure Island (demolition of existing buildings is currently underway), which includes a 600' tower, and several 200'-400' towers, plus a bunch of lowrises, parkland, and a ferry terminal.

Origincountry liked this post
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:04 AM   #3142
SF1977

Likes (Received): 177

Nice aerial showing how the SFT sits within the downtown core:

Morning Glow by Rich Lonardo, on Flickr
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:16 AM   #3143
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13268

@keranm
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #3144
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 237

They started to remove the second crane!
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 03:54 AM   #3145
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbnca View Post
They started to remove the second crane!
The crane is still there. They say construction will pretty much wrap up in July. I don't know about that.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #3146
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
The crane is still there. They say construction will pretty much wrap up in July. I don't know about that.
They just started with the second crane. It will take about a week or more for the whole process (as with the first crane) to fully disassemble it.
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #3147
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13268

Salesforce Tower by Jorge Moran, en Flickr
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #3148
SanFranRising

Likes (Received): 15

post #3147 just stunning. Great shot, great colors. 101 north at Vermont. That is my exit.

The-E-Vid, WhiteGerbera liked this post
SanFranRising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #3149
lovecities888

The Wilshire Grand Tower in LA just opened and it looks great with the LED lighting of its crown and graphics going up and down the building. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIRpDT3RCKk. I wonder if Salesforce Tower's crown will look great at night with LED lighting artwork.

Mcully56964 liked this post
Old June 25th, 2017, 03:28 AM   #3150
SanFranRising

at post #3149 re:Salesforce LED lighting/crown..... And if it doesn't? does it really matter? Does Salesforce need a lighting gimmick to make it even more awesome? Does it need a 150 foot spire to make it "taller" so then it claim title to be the tallest building west of the Mississippi? The answer is a NO. It does NOT matter. Most of the time the top/crown will be shrouded by fog anyway. The Asian cities do it better (and on a much larger scale mind you)... Hong Kong/Shanghai in particular. That 2 trick pony Wilshire Grand is just another "would look great in Vegas building". It's Too short and not tacky enough for Dubai.

will101, WhiteGerbera liked this post
Old June 25th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #3151
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranRising View Post
at post #3149 re:Salesforce LED lighting/crown..... And if it doesn't? does it really matter? Does Salesforce need a lighting gimmick to make it even more awesome? Does it need a 150 foot spire to make it "taller" so then it claim title to be the tallest building west of the Mississippi? The answer is a NO. It does NOT matter. Most of the time the top/crown will be shrouded by fog anyway. The Asian cities do it better (and on a much larger scale mind you)... Hong Kong/Shanghai in particular. That 2 trick pony Wilshire Grand is just another "would look great in Vegas building". It's Too short and not tacky enough for Dubai.
Quit being butthurt that San Fran lost out on being tallest of the west. Spires count, get over it.
Old June 25th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #3152
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Quit being butthurt that San Fran lost out on being tallest of the west. Spires count, get over it.
Well, if you compare the two buildings in itself without WGC's spire, Salesforce is slightly taller. So in reality, Salesforce is the tallest building of the west. The spire thing is really kind of cheating to me. But, a lot of buildings have spires, so it is what it is.
Old June 25th, 2017, 04:55 PM   #3153
SanFranRising

Thank you, lovecities888. It seems I hit nerve, again. Who knew a spire lover would be on the Saleforce Tower thread. Not a fan of the WG so I don't view or post any negative comments on that thread.
Old June 25th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #3154
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3042

ACTUALLY... if you must discount structural ornaments on the top of buildings, then the Salesforce Tower's roof reaches 970 feet, as opposed to LA's US Bank Tower's 1018 feet. So if we're going by heights without any "gimmicks", then LA still has the tallest building in the west in the US Bank Tower, followed by this one.
Old June 25th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #3155
Origincountry
Hyperdensity Dweller

Likes (Received): 21

Regardless of height the lighting design at the top of Salesforce will be very striking when completed. WG has great lighting design, but Jim Campbell's proposal for the crown of Salesforce is way more dynamic and unique in my opinion. Of course it might look different in reality, but the quality of this tower is very high so i doubt it'll fall flat.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Origincountry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #3156
SanFranRising

I believe you hit the nail on the head, Origincountry. I think the final product will be awesome. Daytime, it will still be a spectacular tower even with the lights off. Really cool to have a supertall that looks great (scale,height, finish etc.), both day and night.

WhiteGerbera liked this post
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #3157
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3462

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranRising View Post
Thank you, lovecities888. It seems I hit nerve, again. Who knew a spire lover would be on the Saleforce Tower thread. Not a fan of the WG so I don't view or post any negative comments on that thread.
But you post them on this thread. I don't see anyone in the WG thread trashing Salesforce, but I see the opposite here all the time. lovecities888 was just asking a question about the lighting and that seemed to trigger you.

redspork02, DeaconG liked this post
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #3158
CityTrip

Likes (Received): 40

Well if it will make anybody feel better you can always say this tower is the tallest office tower on the west coast.
CityTrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #3159
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 487

Wilshire grand is slightly taller, but if you placed it and saleforce next to each other, many people would incorrectly think salesforce tower is taller, because it's top portion is made up of a large crown instead of a skinny pole. Some SF forumers get mad about it, some LA forumers get mad about it, and then they get mad at each other... but most people don't care, and it doesnt really matter. They're both great buildings that enhance their respective cities' skylines.
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:09 AM   #3160
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
Wilshire grand is slightly taller, but if you placed it and saleforce next to each other, many people would incorrectly think salesforce tower is taller, because it's top portion is made up of a large crown instead of a skinny pole. Some SF forumers get mad about it, some LA forumers get mad about it, and then they get mad at each other... but most people don't care, and it doesnt really matter. They're both great buildings that enhance their respective cities' skylines.
But without Wilshire Grand's spire, it is 900 some feet tall. Salesforce has no spire so the entire building is 1070 feet tall. Anyway, both add nice buildings to their respective skylines.

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower