daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #3161
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3460

It doesn't have a spire but it does have a hollow glass cage on top, which is purely aesthetic, just like a spire.
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #3162
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Check this out. WGC https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...nd-center/9686 Vs. Salesforce Tower https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...orce-tower/290
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #3163
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
But you post them on this thread. I don't see anyone in the WG thread trashing Salesforce, but I see the opposite here all the time. lovecities888 was just asking a question about the lighting and that seemed to trigger you.

Old June 26th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #3164
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post

We Bay Area people in general can't stand LA. Lol!

aquamaroon liked this post
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:16 AM   #3165
aquamaroon

haha well with posts like mine I don't blame you!
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:19 AM   #3166
lovecities888

Quote:
haha well with posts like mine I don't blame you!
I live in the Bay Area and I have always hated LA.

will101 liked this post
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:42 AM   #3167
SanFranRising

Likes (Received): 15

I love L.A. . I love the U.S. Bank building. The L.A. skyline is really nice. I like it. "Hate" is such a strong word. I don't hate the toothpick on top of WG. I think it's a beautiful architectural detail that adds so much to the tower. A crown can only dream of being that spectacular. Apologies to my WG fans.

aquamaroon liked this post
SanFranRising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:49 AM   #3168
aquamaroon

and my two cents from down south of you guys: Salesforce is a beautiful beautiful building, and personally... I have a feeling that the lighting effects on the top of this tower will be more impressive than the WG's (ESPECIALLY if they can't ever get that spire lit up!)
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:29 AM   #3169
lovecities888

Quote:
and my two cents from down south of you guys: Salesforce is a beautiful beautiful building, and personally... I have a feeling that the lighting effects on the top of this tower will be more impressive than the WG's (ESPECIALLY if they can't ever get that spire lit up!)
I don't know about how good the Salesforce tower LED artwork will be but I'm very impressed with WGC's after seeing it on video. I don't know if Salesforce can top that.
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #3170
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranRising View Post
post #3147 just stunning. Great shot, great colors. 101 north at Vermont. That is my exit.
Mine too when heading to the shops at Potrero center. I love that sharp turn right when you exit into Mariposa/ Vermont St, it feels like it's an improvised exit heading into a backyard I just love it.

It has a nice view too.

Last edited by The-E-Vid; June 26th, 2017 at 03:41 AM.
The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 05:57 AM   #3171
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 483

Info on the the lighting in the tower's crown:

Quote:
...Campbell’s installation will consist of four integrated lighting schemes across the top nine “floors” of the tower, the upper two-thirds of which will consist of perforated aluminum panels, the bottom third of which is a glass curtainwall matching the exterior of the tower shaft below.

The aluminum panels will be lit with 11,000 LEDs capable of display low-resolution moving color imagery which is to be a combination of pre-recorded images and taken from cameras surrounding the City.

And while externally mounted, the LEDs will be inward facing to reflect off the building and yield a soft and continuous image “instead of a harsh direct image like a Times Square video screen.”

In addition to the external LEDs, the installation includes three internal lighting systems within the top two-thirds of the perforated crown: the lower wash, lantern and constellation.

The lower wash lights will be located within the lower, glazed portion of the crown and will be activated to complement exterior imagery on the aluminum panels.

The lantern will articulate the core of the tower by lighting the internal staircase for roof access.

And finally, constellation will be the final display of the nighttime sequence before dawn, comprised of a series of spheres randomly suspended in the 3D space of the crown...
source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ers-crown.html

renderings from that article:

A couple more pics:

Salesforce San Francisco by Apollo's Light, on Flickr

source: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...htmlstory.html

Note: the renderings aren't showing the full lighting scheme with animations+lighting at the same time, it's just showing each lighting system by itself, and a few sample animations by themselves (clouds, people, and the moon).

It'll be interesting to see all the different animations they show, and the lighting/animation combos they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
It doesn't have a spire but it does have a hollow glass cage on top, which is purely aesthetic, just like a spire.
True, but that "hollow" glass (and steel, and LED lighting) cage seamlessly continues the profile of the building. From far away, it looks like it could have inhabited floors in it, unless you catch it from an angle where you can see the sun shining through the gaps, or something like that (and the crown does have stair ways and three levels of walkways in it, including one at the very top of the building...unlike a spire). It looks far more substantial than a spire does. Also, i'm pretty sure it contains the buildings window washing crane/platforms, so it's not purely aesthetic.

Last edited by techniques1200s; June 26th, 2017 at 06:16 AM.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 05:59 AM   #3172
techniques1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
We Bay Area people in general can't stand LA. Lol!
nah, a lot of us in the Bay Area like LA. The hate is dumb, LA is cool.
Old June 26th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #3173
SanFranRising

Thank you techniques1200s for a couple of things. 1. Yes, a lot of us in the Bay Area like LA and a lot of us have family and friends down there also. And 2. Thank you for reposting those pics of the different lighting schemes. Sometimes I forget what is yet to be. A "hollow glass cage" that seamlessly continues the profile of the building, sure looks a hell of a lot better than you know what. Purely aesthetics, of course. Indeed.
Old June 26th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #3174
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

But this illustrates the stupidity of the debate. It's all about the illusion of height regardless of spire or empty levels, cages, etc.

The top 80 feet (?) of this tower is not technically occupied space; it's a crown, and because it provides the illusion of real, occupied floors, it adds to the building's perceived height. But it amounts to the same thing as a spire.

It's like: I know I'm being fooled but I'm prepared to be fooled by this and not that.

Fine, each to their own, but let's not try to claim an objective basis for our biases. Both this and WG in LA fail their height claims if you use the "highest occupied floor" criteria. Salesforce gets away with "roof", and WG with "architectural top".

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
True, but that "hollow" glass (and steel, and LED lighting) cage seamlessly continues the profile of the building. From far away, it looks like it could have inhabited floors in it, unless you catch it from an angle where you can see the sun shining through the gaps, or something like that (and the crown does have stair ways and three levels of walkways in it, including one at the very top of the building...unlike a spire). It looks far more substantial than a spire does. Also, i'm pretty sure it contains the buildings window washing crane/platforms, so it's not purely aesthetic.

DeaconG, PinkFloyd, goodybear liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:06 AM   #3175
techniques1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
But this illustrates the stupidity of the debate. It's all about the illusion of height regardless of spire or empty levels, cages, etc.

The top 80 feet (?) of this tower is not technically occupied space; it's a crown, and because it provides the illusion of real, occupied floors, it adds to the building's perceived height. But it amounts to the same thing as a spire.
I'm pretty sure it's not about an "illusion of height". It's about the building looking good, according to the architect and city planners. Not everything is a skyscraper height dickwaving contest.

I thought i clearly demonstrated why the salesforce crown isn't really the same thing as the Wilshire Grand spire. It may not be occupied space, but it has more utility to it than the spire on Wilshire Grand, and it sure doesn't look the same, at all. And i'm not saying that as if it makes it better or worse (that's subjective), I'm just pointing it out. I wasn't really debating anything.

Quote:
Fine, each to their own, but let's not try to claim an objective basis for our biases.
I never claimed to be 100% objective, and i never said i liked crowns or spires more. I like both the salesforce crown and the WG spire, FYI...maybe you confused me with another poster?

But the Salesforce crown is objectively bigger and more noticeable than the spire on WG, and it also has some more uses to it than a spire does. Those are the points i was making in my post.

Quote:
It's like: I know I'm being fooled but I'm prepared to be fooled by this and not that.
Who's talking about anyone being fooled, besides you? lol what are we talking about here? Buildings or magic tricks?

Quote:
Both this and WG in LA fail their height claims if you use the "highest occupied floor" criteria. Salesforce gets away with "roof", and WG with "architectural top".
Do that many people really measure buildings by the highest occupied floor? Structural/architectural height makes the most sense, IMO.

cnbnca liked this post
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #3177
lovecities888

It is comical on Twitter that Wilshire Grand Center is trashing Salesforce Tower about its height and the number of floors it has and pretty much everything about the building. I just find it funny. If only Salesforce Tower was taller and had more than 73 floors. That would have shut WGC up. Lol!
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:36 AM   #3178
SanFranRising

Well, lovecities888, the best thing is to ignore all the squawking. You will not win and it's not worth it. You and I and all the other SFT fans know this tower (Salesforce) is something special. Don't waste your time with the WG crowd. The pictures speak for themselves.
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #3179
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not about an "illusion of height".
Yeah, but what I quoted kinda shows that's what you're driving at.

Look, I don't give a shit. As I said, it shows how silly the debate is. The accepted height criteria is the architectural top, which includes spires. There's no actual debate over which building is taller so I'm not trying to argue that. The WG is taller. My point is about using subjective visual criteria, different camera angles or lens lengths to somehow prove that one building is better than the other. It's pointless.

And for the record (and as I've said before on this thread) I like this building just fine. I don't think it's anything special but I think it complements the SF skyline very well. Moreover, it improves the skyline. It's a fine addition.

Last edited by Nuwanda; June 28th, 2017 at 02:58 AM.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:35 AM   #3180
goodybear

Likes (Received): 690

Why are people so fierce in debating which building is better or taller? Salesforce has the taller roof height, Wilshire Grand has the taller architectural height. Both have unique designs. It is that simple. I wonder what it would've been like if SSC existed in the 1930's in the Chrysler vs Bank of Manhattan race. Imagine all those triggered posts
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower