daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #341
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stark View Post
****! Pelli's was just chosen.
How depressing, it looks almost the same as Hong Kong's 2IFC. What a wasted opportunity. The SOM design was so much more intereting and iconic. The panel should be shot for choosing the Pelli copycat design over the original and inspiring SOM proposal.

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #342
Robert Stark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

it won't be final until the 20th. I think we should all right into the SF chronicle.
Robert Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #343
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5443

Man, they really messed up that decision.

The SOM one came last????

Madness. Towers like that don't come around too often. They knocked back not only the best design, but also the tallest one.
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #344
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

The SOM proposal came last? You have got to be ******* kidding me..

The SOM design was the gateway to the future world, it was slamming at the door of the future. The Pelli design is in the present and a bit to the past, it looks just like all of his other designs... BORING!

In the future there will be monorails going in one side of skyscrapers and out the other, there will be knots of highways tangling in and out of cities, there will be a pyramid shaped spine in most world skylines and glass facades with no need for any mullions.
There will be curved chrome cars, there will be underwater bubble rooms, there will be sidewalks with no cracks, there will be COLOUR CHANGING GLASS! The escalators in shopping malls will be gravity bending steel platforms that just float up to the next level and back down WITHOUT ANY ******* MECHANICS. There will be huge TVs on the side of skyscrapers that disappear and become a part of the facade..

That is the future, and the SOM design could have brought all of that even closer, it would have shaped architecture in the future. It could have been the skyward upshot of San Francisco, the vertical beam, the modern lighthouse, the future bender... but no.. these visually illiterate dickheads could not see this. They think the present is best to adapt to than the future..

If the SOM design is not built by the time I head over to San Francisco in 2014 I will tell the panel exactly what the future is.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #345
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

San Francisco fails.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #346
Robert Stark
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by choyak View Post

Damn....this is the most beautiful thing that I have seen in some time. First time that I saw this, I was dumbfounded, my eyes riveted to the screen!!!

SOM, this is one absolutely impressive design!!!

what a shame
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #347
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

That is really disappointing!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #348
Robert Stark
BANNED

The Pelli Terminal is the worst design.
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #349
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

I would have preferred it if they had chosen the Rogers design. Pelli is clearly bereft of ideas - all of his buildings look alike. I intensely dislike the SOM design because, 1) it looks far too gothic and 2) it's also kind of like a soap opera building, what with all those metal "streamers" (you know what a streamer is, right? those paper things you toss up at a birthday party). It's all too common these days to contort your building - everything has some sort of twisted face, or at the least the faces are all sheared off like a piece of carved ice. No more flat faces for some reason, and no simple geometric shapes either.

The Rogers design is the most unique. I have a thing for structural expressionism and since everyone seems to have hated it for some rather vague reason from the start, that's another reason to like it. There aren't any other buildings like it - it's quite unique, and I think the red steel gives it an industrial feel that sets it apart from the stilted office buildings that all look exactly alike.

Oh, and even though I really don't like to gloat, in this instance I feel it rather appropriate. I got into a big argument about whether the SOM tower twists. Well, let's see, how was it described in the press release? "The lowest ranking went to a team consisting of Rockefeller Development Group Corp. and the local office of the architecture firm Skidmore Owings & Merrill. This team proposed the tallest tower, a 1,375-foot high rise that would twist and narrow as it rises. The sales offer was" Interesting...I thought it didn't twist...

And I believe the manner in which the SOM building twists is indeed part of the definition of twist, which includes pretty much all forms of rotation:
14. to turn (something) from one direction to another, as by rotating or revolving: I twisted my chair to face the window.
20. to turn or rotate, as on an axis; revolve, as about something; spin.
26. a deviation in direction; curve; bend; turn.
27. the action of turning or rotating on an axis; rotary motion; spin.

Although "twist" includes a full rotation such that a spiral is formed, it also includes all instances of "rotation," a much broader term that includes rotation of 1 deg to a rotation of a full 360 deg.

So, while the entire building isn't twisting, four of it's faces are making what appears to be a nearly 90 deg twist. Initially these sides are part of the shortest horizontal dimension of the building, until they reach the top of the building where they have rotated a full 90 degrees, thus becoming the faces of the longest horizontal dimension of the building.

Last edited by Krattle; September 15th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #350
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Oh well. I guess money talks
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #351
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

I'm fuming at this decision. I think it's absolutely criminal that Skidmore Owings and Merrill's design was turned down... a real, real shame. 90 percent of people would agree their proposal was clearly the best of the three. It would have been the most beautiful skyscraper in America. A modern-day Chrysler Building.
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #352
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

A Modern Day Chrysler Building

That is something I didn't see, but as soon as you said it, it made perfect sense. It would have been the most beautiful skyscraper in the world. It would have also been another modern design that America could have been proud to showcase.
But instead, the competition was given to the company that gave the judges the most money, and to add insult to injury, the competition was won by the team with the least original design.
Oh Well.
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #353
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

i really don't understand that
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #354
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Someone just forward a link to this thread to the local SF papers and TV stations.
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #355
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

All Pelli designs kind of look the same now.
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #356
Robert Stark
BANNED

I starting to wish for am economic collapse in SF to stop that mostrocity from being built. SOM would of been one of the greatest skyscrapers in the World in the one of the greatest cities in the world. we need to make it clear to the SF media that SOM is the most popular tower.
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #357
Bluesence

Likes (Received): 798

Hum... I like San Francisco's skyline as it is nowadays but that tower looks great! Congrats to my favourite city in the US! I hope it's aprooved!

Portugal
Bluesence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #358
Robert Stark
BANNED

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT YOU WANT PELLI"S TO APPROVED? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRICKEN MIND!
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #359
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

In fairness it's not a bad tower so it's still much better than nothing
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #360
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

Hey, SOM, I hope you are reading this, I would like your tower built in LOS ANGELES, then the LA skyline can whoop SF's butt anytime of the day. I will be confused by the 2IFCGS in SF!

Even Pelli's proposal is WUSS. IT IS NOT EVEN AS TALL AS 2IFC!!!!!!!

but yeah it will be taller than US Bank tower in LA (unless SOM comes through for LA)

'Money talks but it can't sing and dance and it can't walk'. I guess talking is the only criterion here!!!!
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower