daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #361
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Maybe SFC developers got personal problems with SOM or the lobbyists from Pellis are pretty good in negotiating or bribery, LOL! Everyone knows SOM dominated the Architecture world. Who can ever beat the company? (Well, Norman Foster is pretty close but not close enough). Is this the only Skyscraper planned for SFC? You don't know maybe they will be chosen next time if another Supertall is proposed.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #362
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Why am I not surprised that it's most likely going to be the bargain basement building So typical of we Americans. So again, America back 2 steps and Europe and Asia up 5.

As for the person who was asking about more talls in SF, I caught an article in San Fran magazine a few months ago about that. I believe it said there are quite a few planned to be built by 2020? (but Im not too sure about that). Maybe someone else can help with that.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #363
Robert Stark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
In fairness it's not a bad tower so it's still much better than nothing

I WOULD RATHER HAVE NOTHING! I WOUDN"T MIND HAVING IT IN LA, BUT SF IS DIFFERENT!
Robert Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #364
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

OK, so you'd prefer the site to stay a parking lot or something rather than have a good (but nowhere near as good as SOM's tower) built on it? I really don't get the logic here. I know it's a missed oppertunity but in fairness, those with the cash are those that get their way.

Oh and please turn off your caps lock
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #365
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
Why am I not surprised that it's most likely going to be the bargain basement building So typical of we Americans. So again, America back 2 steps and Europe and Asia up 5.

Yes, you're very right - The Chicago Spire is A step back, The WTC complex is also step back and because this ONE building isn't going to be chosen, but a still very nice building is, America is Taking 2 giant steps back. Thank you for your insightful post!
MDguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #366
Robert Stark
BANNED

its not just the tower, the SOM Terminal was by far the best and the Pelli one is an awful design.
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #367
Badfish301

Likes (Received): 3

The city should really should factor in the total commulative monetary loss to tourism and business this decision will precipitate. The SOM proposal would be a landmark, drawing people to the 'reborn' SF, while the Pelli design is easy to forget.
Badfish301 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #368
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5456

I think the SOM design suited the slightly quirky character of SF, the facade was just brilliant, as was the base. Plus it was different, it had an edge, pick the one building of the three that has no edge... Pelli - it's generic.

The Pelli design by constrast is just boring corporate stuff that could go anywhere. Might look good in Houston, but in SF it's dull.

It's a real opportunity missed. Maybe SOM can utilise the design in another city that is more appreciative of good architecture.
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #369
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I read your individual repulsion at what design won, but more interested at what aspects/components you write as having been thought it into the design that either didn't win or hadn't been nominated. Several of you keep asking why the building you like wasn't chosen; the only answer I could think of is that the 'judges' must have furthered that whole following that 'safe' line, being not letting the people get any funny idea, or better yet, any idea at all. It sucks to be in the 21st Century, huh?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #370
Robert Stark
BANNED

does anyone know how the people in SF feel about it?
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #371
Robert Stark
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
More SOM renderings

Old September 16th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #372
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

I really have no words...what a disappointment....
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #373
Robert Stark
BANNED

Place: Readers weigh in on plans for new Transbay tower
John King

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Printable VersionEmail This Article del.icio.us
Digg
Technorati
Reddit Slashdot
Fark
Newsvine
Google Bookmarks
(11) Georgia (default)
Verdana
Times New Roman
Arial
Transbay Terminal
Jury names favorite for Transbay terminal, tower (9/10)

Low-profile agency's big Transbay decisions (9/9)

Calling a new Transbay tower an icon doesn't make it one (8/28)

Readers weigh in on plans for new Transbay tower (8/21)

Plans unveiled, mountain of feedback follows (8/14)

King: Design could reshape SF skyline (8/12)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLAN A: Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners (8/12)

PLAN B: Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects (8/12)

PLAN C: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (8/12)

Rebirth of the terminal (8/12)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Competing ideas show audacity that adds to SF's rising skyline (8/7)

See the various plans (8/7)

Visitors like to mix design ideas (8/8)

Two Cents: Would you want to live in the tallest building on the West Coast? (8/7)

Key dates in terminal's history (8/7)

John King
Recent Columns

Under Covers: Gaia Napa Valley Hotel & Spa
09/13/2007
Tower pick: Pelli's predictability wins out over others' pizzazz
09/11/2007
Clear tower favorite: Jury gives nod to one Transbay terminal pl...
09/11/2007
John King Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November December 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 1995

Place
Archive

Now this is exquisite timing: Barry Bonds' 756th home run and the unveiling of rival designs for San Francisco's tallest tower and a new transit station came just 28 hours apart.

Voila! Bay Area residents have something new to debate in what otherwise would be the doggiest days of summer. Sports are pffft, elections are next year, and the tawdry antics of Britney and Lindsay seem old. But hey! Does San Francisco really need a modernistic "icon" as tall as the Empire State Building?

I've already stated my case that the transit center and tower design best suited to the city comes from the team with Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners as the lead designer. So for today's column - and you thought interactive journalism existed only on the Web - I'll let readers fire back.

We start with supporters of the tower designs from the rivals: the twisting lattice designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill and the demure rounded shaft from Pelli Clarke Pelli. They still have plenty of fans, despite my enthusiasm for the Rogers firm's gaunt glassy high-rise - or what unimpressed reader Bill Thomas of Mill Valley describes as "a tall offshore drilling rig."

Five thumbs up for the SOM design. It is romantic and timeless, and the curved beams remind me of a cathedral inside. The other ideas seem so clumsy by comparison.

- Jonathan Livingston,

Richmond

I hope the design that wins is the Pelli-Hines proposal. The soft obelisk shape is very appealing ... the design contrasts with the surrounding buildings predominately having 90 percent right angles.

- Mark Watson, Palo Alto

Other readers surveyed the field, shook their heads and declared a pox on all three.

Tallest and most modern - yuck! My lovely hometown is losing its unique charm. We are not Manhattan or Hong Kong. Our history and individuality is being destroyed bit by bit.

- Molly Griffin, Belmont

And now that we've all agreed not to agree, on to questions and observations.

I still don't understand why all these planners and builders say the city needs an icon to define San Francisco as an international city. What's wrong with the Golden Gate Bridge, or Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill?

- Joe Bielski, Benicia

You're right. The classic landmarks will lodge in visitor minds more than this or that skyscraping exclamation point, no matter how well done.

How will this and other very tall structures react in an earthquake? I know they are probably being built according to the latest earthquake regulations, but they're all next to our major transit areas. An earthquake, broken glass, broken structures - I can only imagine the absolute standstill when an earthquake hits.

- Jamil Slattery, San Francisco

Each team's proposal is thick with engineering diagrams and seismic bracing descriptions; for instance, the entry package from the Rogers team includes 20 pages on "Extreme Events" and another 13 on "Fire/Life Safety." Wait - 13? That's unlucky!

I agree with you that the Rogers' team design is the best, but I strongly disagree with you that the tower's wind turbine has to go. It's a unique and interesting architectural feature as well as a strong forward-looking environmental statement.

- Tony Verreos, Brisbane

Good point. My problem isn't with wind turbines on the roof, just the presence of a single one that is so big and looks like some sci-fi Eye of Zorgon.

I like the Pelli Clarke Pelli terminal design. (Actually, I like all the designs a great deal.) However, it doesn't seem to take into account the problems of bird, water and diesel exhaust. The light white metal and glass canopy is going to be a mess the day it opens.

- Vance Miller, San Francisco

Diesel shouldn't be a problem because buses increasingly use other fuel. But architectural images should always be taken with a grain of salt. In the case of Transbay, those concourses are all so crowded, you'd think it was Willie Mays Plaza on a game day.

Will there be another opportunity to view the models and displays of the proposals? Are they still on public view somewhere?

- Jacob Furlong, Burlingame

No, but that could change. The Transbay Joint Powers Authority is looking for downtown space to show them off again - which would help gather informed responses from the public before the Transbay board makes a selection next month.

Thank you for concentrating on urban design and function, not just the beauty contest. ... In terms of basic urbanism, just show me which scheme provides a place where I can have a cup of coffee on a vibrant sidewalk and people-watch without a building uncomfortably projecting over my head!

- Daniel Parolek, Berkeley

You're right: In the long run, this project will be measured by how well it serves commuters and passers-by, not just how it looks on the skyline.

Is John King on the take?

- Various readers

If I were, I wouldn't pack so many peanut butter sandwiches from home. Of course, I do use a pricey natural peanut butter. ...

Place appears on Tuesdays. E-mail John King at [email protected].

This article appeared on page E - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #374
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Ewwwwwwwwww... I live in the Bay Area and, the only thing I can say is "ew".

What a disappointment.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #375
Robert Stark
BANNED

Is it Final? I hope something hapens to stop its construction.
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #376
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Ok, you've said your point. No need to say it again
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #377
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
And please, never infer LA into the same sentence with Montréal with me, coz I don't like the former, which is wholly suburban in nature while the latter's utterly urban . . .
You're an idiot. Get over your insecurities.
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #378
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

It sucks that SOM's design wasn't chosen. Oh well, Pelli's design ain't half bad. It'll look great in the skyline once completed.
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #379
Gary_A_Hill

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Maybe SFC developers got personal problems with SOM or the lobbyists from Pellis are pretty good in negotiating or bribery, ...
Or maybe the jury just did what they were chartered to do, which was to select a design for a transit terminal. The tower is important only for its contribution to the economics of the project; the appearance is (and rightly so) a minor consideration. There seems to be nothing in this thread about the transit terminal, since the subject of this section is tall towers, but some details can be gleaned from the jury report, which is available online.
Gary_A_Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #380
Johnny Drama
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Are you people kidding me? SOM wasnt chosen?! Pelli's is an alright building, but its not as awesome as the SOM proposal. That truly was a landmark in the making. Bittersweet to say the least.
Johnny Drama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower