daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #541
velut arbor aevo

Likes (Received): 11

nice design
velut arbor aevo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #542
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Does anybody know where I could find good resolution images of the SOM proposal? Im trying to make a new desktop background
Try their website.

www.som.com
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #543
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

To be honest, I prefre the Pelli design compared to the SOM. Pelli's design fits SF's skyline more. But I would push the SOM style atrium for this project

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #544
Gaeus

I wonder if there are more updates regarding this. Where is Robert Stark when we need him?
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #545
Robert Stark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

http://www.transbaycenter.org/TransB...es-revised.pdf

Here is the study for the possible tunnel connecting the Tranbay Terminal to BART at Market St.

Looks huge when you compare to the Transamerica Pyramid in the diagram.
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?c114
Robert Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #546
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1286

Ugh! I'm so proud of my American hometown.
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #547
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stark View Post
http://www.transbaycenter.org/TransB...es-revised.pdf

Here is the study for the possible tunnel connecting the Tranbay Terminal to BART at Market St.

Looks huge when you compare to the Transamerica Pyramid in the diagram.
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?c114
Wow 80 floors..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #548
Robert Stark
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
To be honest, I prefre the Pelli design compared to the SOM. Pelli's design fits SF's skyline more. But I would push the SOM style atrium for this project

Agree. I think they chose the Pelli desing for the park but it lacks the dramatic atrium of SOM's but they decided to do what is pratical over what is the most dramatic. Like I mentioned if Heines cannot come up with the funds they will start over from scratch. construction won't start until aprox. 2010.
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #549
Robert Stark
BANNED

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...14-Tower_N.htm

San Francisco makeover: Nothing short of in-spired
Updated 12h 24m ago | Comments1 | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

Enlarge Hines and Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects

An elevated city park and 1.6-million-square-foot office tower would reshape San Francisco.

Digg del.icio.us Newsvine Reddit Facebook What's this? By John Ritter, USA TODAY
SAN FRANCISCO — Where else but here, the cradle of psychedelic, would you expect a sleek, skyline-dwarfing skinny office tower crowned with a spin-in-the-wind, glowing, turbine-powered light show?
It's all part of a $1 billion development the city — like a few others with major projects underway — is betting will be the wave of the future: building up instead of out, the denser the better, stressing trains and buses over cars.

The proposed Transbay Transit Center with its possible 1,200-foot tower, elevated public park the length of five football fields and room for high-speed trains someday linking California's major cities, will be a "symbolic expression of our environmental values," says Gabriel Metcalf, executive director of the San Francisco Planning & Urban Research Association, a public policy think tank.

"It's a statement that our highest value is ecology," he says. "Just as church steeples were always the tallest buildings in the Middle Ages, we're marking our transit hub as the most important spot on the skyline."

The joint agency formed to handle this project approved the skyscraper's design last month. Its developer, Hines, has announced a tentative financing deal. City officials have said they hope to move the project through the planning bureaucracy in 18 months.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: San Francisco | Transit | Architects | Macris
According to David Goldberg, a spokesman for Smart Growth America, a national coalition working to slow sprawl, other sprawl-spoiled cities are embarking on long-term developments aimed at getting commuters out of cars and encouraging mass transit to cut pollution and traffic congestion:

•Atlanta's BeltLine project is an example: a rail loop around the city core with parks, trails and dense neighborhoods clustered at station stops.

•Another is Denver's voter-approved regional light rail and rapid bus system designed to concentrate future growth closer in.

•Salt Lake City's light rail system would do the same.

•Dallas has plans for "transit-oriented developments" around light rail.

•Even Los Angeles "is trying to figure out how to retrofit the prototypical automobile-driven metro area" around subway and light rail lines, Goldberg says.

"In a place like San Francisco, the notion of higher density and a mix of uses is not radical," he says. "But even there that kind of planning and development hasn't been real common."

The Transbay tower, which hasn't been named yet, would rise nearly 400 feet above the city's tallest structure, the Transamerica Pyramid, pending zoning changes to allow taller buildings. The skyscraper designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects would be part of a long-term effort to change San Francisco's relatively low, flat, "pancake" skyline, says city planning director Dean Macris.

The building and 12-block redevelopment area around it could support more tall towers, spaced among town house and condo neighborhoods, Macris says.

"In San Francisco, oftentimes tall buildings become political statements rather than a building form," he says. "Will there be pushback? Of course there will be." In the 1920s, three 400-foot-tall buildings caused a stir. Forty years later, the pyramid and 52-story Bank of America Center did the same.

"We want the skyline to rise to certain peaks to express the importance of certain locations in the city," Macris says.

The design of the tower could have done a better job of that, says Henry Urbach, architecture and design curator at San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. "It's a competent building, but not one that will necessarily break new ground in urban space and urban infrastructure," he says. "We should insist on a building that people will come to San Francisco to see. This isn't it."

Peter Bosselmann, an urban design professor at the University of California, Berkeley, believes the building's height will be reduced. "I think it would stand out in a bad way," he says, because of San Francisco's tradition of height limits compatible with its hilly topography. Bosselmann also wonders whether office-space demand will bear out to make it profitable.

Hines will pay $350 million for land the tower will be built on in the city's south or market district. The money will help finance the transit center, a hub for light rail, commuter trains and, at some point, high-speed, or bullet, trains.

The tower would taper as it rises and provide 1.6 million square feet of office space, "not an absurd amount" in a city that absorbs 1 million new square feet a year, Hines Vice President Paul Paradis says.

"We think people have come to realize the benefit of tall in urban cores," he says. "That's why we're not seeing a lot of opposition."

As for those penthouse turbines, housed in a 100-foot-tall metal cage above the top floor, their purpose, for now, is aesthetic only. The wind would spin four turbines, powering a light that would glow brighter the stronger the gusts. Paradis says he believes technology will be perfected to take advantage of high winds and help generate energy.

"You need to make the turbines quiet and not vibrate too much for the space near them to be habitable," he says. "With the wind going as fast as it does and these turbines creating resistance, that's not an easy engineering problem."
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:57 AM   #550
Gaeus

I wonder if its confirmed that the Pelli Design is the final one? Anyone knows?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM   #551
Gaeus

Thank you.

And this is for you SOM fans.

Better luck next time.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:28 AM   #552
MDguy

NO!!!!!!!!!

Pull through SOM, Please!!
MDguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM   #553
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Send this SOM Tower to Seattle!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:25 PM   #554
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Frankfurt
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #555
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

well then you are going to be disappointed.
they chose the second one and it is the one that will most likely get built.

sorry.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #556
kylecawazafla
TallTree

Likes (Received): 0

Sorry, this post is ambiguous. Did they confirm any proposals, and if so, which one?
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #557
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Not a single post from Nov 9th to Dec 12th?

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #558
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

It's going to be a while until we hear anything on this project. We should hear more after the 2008 ballot if the CA High Speed Rial proposal is approved.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #559
decks67
decks67

Likes (Received): 6

i think this tower looks great
decks67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:06 PM   #560
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

I prefered SOM's tower:
http://som.com/content.cfm/transbay_transit_center

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower