daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #641
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Location: ESTELI-Delft-Milan-Roma-NWestfalen-NY-CHI-BCN-MAD-BIO-MIAMI-SEA-AMS-SF-LA-Moscu-München-LONDON-PARIS
Likes (Received): 1650

How beautiful, indeeed!!!

Neutral! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:44 PM   #642
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
The historic San Francisco concern over building heights isn't simply visceral. An 1984 voters approved a law that prohibits structures that cast shadows on public parks.

While studies are still being done on what shadows would occur at different times of the year in different locations, the likely loss of sunlight prompted planners to pull heights down from what some developers sought - though some new shadows are unavoidable.

The most obvious example is the proposed Transbay tower at First and Mission streets.

Last fall, the Hines development firm and Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects were selected by the Transbay Joint Powers Authority to design and build a high-rise next to the new terminal. The team's plan calls for a 1,200-foot tower, with the top 175 feet devoted to wind turbines behind a metal screen.

At that altitude, planners now say, the skyscraper's shadow at lunchtime would cover most of Justin Herman Plaza, a popular park next to Embarcadero Center. At 1,000 feet, according to planner Joshua Switzky, "it barely touches the plaza at all."
Ah, those cursed shadows.
1,000 feet sounds like the highest that will be approved.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #643
fish

Likes (Received):

Let us hope that the 1,000 foot idea gets approved soon!
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #644
angkor princess
Skyscraper princess

Likes (Received): 0

I like it very clean and simple yet elegant, very much like his other design in Hong Kong and that was a success. So hopefully this gets the green light and starts competing among its collegues around the world for most prettiest skyscraper. Jokies.
angkor princess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #645
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Ridiculous. Either San Fran repeals that stupid shadow law and allows the construction of numerous supertalls centered around public transportation hubs or it can never, ever, EVER call itself an environmentally friendly city again.

Freaking hypocrites!
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #646
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

remember many of the people that move the west coast in general leave the east coast because they feel its 2 built up!!
so when they hear of a project that is over 500ft. they freak out and say no. why else leave new york or chicago if there gonna build tall buildings.

this culture is then ingrained to the people that are born here. when all you see are buildings less than 1000ft. in height and then to get a proposal for a 1200ft. building, its literally a culture shock for many people. then you get the NIMBYS with there arguement that its a seismically active region. which is bull crap. if you look at buildings over the last 20 years in seismically active zones such as Los Angeles, Tapai, Beijing, Japan... not one building built in the last 20 years collapsed.
it comes down to local NIMBY'ism, and pshycological thinking.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #647
fish

Likes (Received):

Every city has NIMBYs, it's how the city deals with them that matters most!
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #648
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Every city has NIMBYs, it's how the city deals with them that matters most!
True, but California has the NIMBY's of all NIMBY's
Santa Monica is currently planning the same thing, but with a shorter height limit. i think around 100ft. its gonna be on the november ballot, claiming to reduce traffic
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #649
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
True, but California has the NIMBY's of all NIMBY's
Santa Monica is currently planning the same thing, but with a shorter height limit. i think around 100ft. its gonna be on the november ballot, claiming to reduce traffic
Reduce traffic!!
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #650
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Is it really just that California has the NIMBY's of all NIMBY's or the fact they have better access to lawyers or for that matter they can even hire a lawyer to object to something. If given a choice of allowing lawyers to be hired by "NIMBY's" who object to something proposed or not allowing the freedom to do so, I'd have to go with the former despite the fact I want to see taller buildings in San Francisco or any other city that is proposing something tall.

Either way the discussion has little to do with the tower itself.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000

Last edited by Mplsuptown; August 6th, 2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: addition
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #651
fish

Likes (Received):

Here is an interesting link - see who the NIMBYs are and who are not!
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #652
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Here is an interesting link - see who the NIMBYs are and who are not!
You are the first one who didn't cut off a plural-s with an apostrophe! There are still some people who know to write their own language,...
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #653
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
You are the first one who didn't cut off a plural-s with an apostrophe! There are still some people who know to write their own language,...

Wonderful now lets talk about grammer instead of any thing remotely related to the the project.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #654
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

will the transportation hub be enough for all the people going in and out and will it have some connection to the transbay project?
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #655
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Is there no high-resolution renderings avaliable on this one yet?

Even a propoer PDF with renderings would do good.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #656
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
oops thanks for the correction. forgot to proof read. THE US BANK BUILDING DID NOT FALL DOWN. LOL
The US bank building is the toughest supertall ever built!! Even Taipei 101 isnt rated as high as the US Bank tower... there is 5-10 times the amount of reinforcement when compared to other buildings in this league.

it can withstand the big one which is expected to be 8 to 8.5 and 2 to 7 minutes long!

The 94 quake we had is still the largest earthquake EVER recorded under a major city, and it was only 5 miles deep (12.5 miles from downtown LA).
My friends father worked for Cal tech and he claimed there was a cover-up. The 94 quake was really a 7.1 but it was covered up because FEMA wouldnt help out if it was over a 7.0 on the richter scale for some dumb reason - and being that the quake at the time was the most costliest disaster in US History, I can see why they covered it up. It would have turned from bad, to even worse. I lived in marina del rey at the time of the quake, which is basically a giant sandbar - it shook REALLY hard over there and its 19 miles away from the epicenter. Sand of course intensifies the shaking numerous times the strength.

Look at the data on the quake, it registered an 8+ on the Mercali scale - A lot of it was because it was a shallow quake, and centered right underneath everything. An 8+ on the Mercali scale, is very intense and will throw you around into the walls like a pinball...

The US Bank Building (even most of the hi-rise towers in the valley just a few miles from the epicenter) had NO problems at all. It was the shorter, or mid rise buildings that were spread out over a larger area that took most of the damage (example, CSUN university, or all the damaged apartments).

I use to think it shook harder the higher up you go as well, but as long as the building is built correctly, the frame will absorb a lot of the shockwaves as long as the welds/rivets are strong and hold in place...
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #657
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Seems rather ridiculous that FEMA would not help out if the disaster is too big. That's the whole reason FEMA exists. I'm not doubting your story since FEMA seems to be one of the more screwed up government agencies but I'd sure like to hear their rationalization for it.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #658
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor650 View Post
will the transportation hub be enough for all the people going in and out and will it have some connection to the transbay project?
Is there some transbay project other than the one this is being built on top of?
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #659
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
Seems rather ridiculous that FEMA would not help out if the disaster is too big. That's the whole reason FEMA exists. I'm not doubting your story since FEMA seems to be one of the more screwed up government agencies but I'd sure like to hear their rationalization for it.
It was some bullshit loophole where FEMA would not have to help if the quake was above a 7.

I think that has changed now though...

I never understood it well myself...

But then again, with the way FEMA has dealt with the Hurricane Katrina issue, Im not surprised!!
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #660
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

Have to wait until the November 4th...the HSR proposition will likely decide whether or not they will proceed. Not that it couldnt be built without HSR, but it would be a lot less likely.
As per the height, Im good with anything over 300m

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower