daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #761
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

What a sexy building. I hope it gets built, it would be a nice addition to the SF skyline.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #762
ExclusiveOne

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLucky4LifeX View Post
Wrong! It's quite unique.
The only city with two buildings of the same height is Kaula Lumper. But they have a twin towers.
But make San Francisco be the only city with two different-design buildings with the same height.
New York City has the Chrysler Building (1930; 1,046 ft tall) & the New York Times Building (2007; 1,046 ft tall):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lest_buildings

I hope this gets built.
ExclusiveOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 03:12 PM   #763
Torch

Likes (Received): 1015

Can't they just built the Terminal from Pelli, and the tower from SOM?! This would be awesome!
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:31 PM   #764
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28349

I like it. Very slender, very tall.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:03 AM   #765
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

wont be completed til around 2017
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM   #766
Mario_Giovannetti
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1874

One of the nicest projects in the US right now IMHO. Tall, slender, elegant and overall I really like the design, but I will have to agree with some of you. I believe the SOM design was a little nicer.

Anyway, I can´t wait to see it built.
Mario_Giovannetti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #767
Buildingfrenzy
bUILDING fRENZY

Likes (Received): 2

L.A Likes

As a native to L.A, I have to say I am so jealous of this project. It looks awesome. It makes me wish I lived there. You guys have done so much for your city center you really should be proud. We have made great leaps here in our beautiful city of L.A, but have a long way to go to bring it up to San Francisco, New York levels in terms of urban development and planning.

Keep up the great work, and I REALLY hope this thing gets built, after all what's good for one city is good for all of CALIFORNIA.
Buildingfrenzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #768
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #769
SF1977

Likes (Received): 177

New video about the public art that'll grace the terminal inside and out...

http://transbaycenter.org/media-gall...ic-art-program
SF1977 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #770
ElDudarinodotcom

Likes (Received): 122

Not sure about those floors. But I love the moving LED screen and what appears to be a movie/video screen in the rooftop park.
ElDudarinodotcom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #771
lookinflowers

Likes (Received): 440

those rocks seems to take after the egg of Lady Gaga in the Grammys LOL
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #772
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF1977 View Post
New video about the public art that'll grace the terminal inside and out...

http://transbaycenter.org/media-gall...ic-art-program
Looks amazing.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #773
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

From the video, it looks like they got rid of the glass roof over the main entrance and the trams to the roof park.

I didn't take any pictures, but the old Transbay Terminal is completely demolished and the Temporary Transbay Terminal is completed.

Also the 5 Renzo Piano towers proposed across, that included a 1000+ ft tower, has been canned. It's now 3 SOM towers, they will be 900+, 600+ and a 100+.

Last edited by 612bv3; February 17th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #774
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 612bv3 View Post
From the video, it looks like they got rid of the glass roof over the main entrance and the trams to the roof park.

I didn't take any pictures, but the old Transbay Terminal is completely demolished and the Temporary Transbay Terminal is completed.

Also the 5 Renzo Piano towers proposed across, that included a 1000+ ft tower, has been canned. It's now 3 SOM towers, they will be 900+, 600+ and a 100+.
wow that spumds great to at least have a 900 foot tower guaranteed...
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #775
Topher51

Likes (Received): 88

San Francisco to start building Transbay Transit Center in May
Construction of the $4.2 billion Transbay Transit Center begins this spring. The multimodal transport center, targeted for completion in 2017, will have a 1,000-foot tower that will be the city's tallest and a 5.4-acre rooftop park complete with walking paths, playgrounds, cafes, gardens and a fountain.
- from the ASCE SmartBrief Newsletter

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...ay_transit.asp
Topher51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #776
bysidevivi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

- deleted -

Last edited by wjfox; March 9th, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
bysidevivi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #777
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Interesting that the "1000 foot tower" isn't part of the slideshow pictures.

From that link:

Though still in the planning-and-review stage, the obelisk-like Transbay Tower will be directly adjacent to the terminal, allowing office workers to have direct access to the rooftop park. King calls the tower’s current design “a little generic-looking,” but Clarke promises an iconic building that will become one of the defining images of San Francisco’s skyline. Unlike the transit center, which has funding fully in place, Clarke says the tower is “at least one real estate cycle away.”

That tells me that the tower is getting a redesign.

Last edited by Scrapernab2; March 8th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #778
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

It's good to hear them acknowledge the bland characteristics of the current tower design. The design itself isn't "bad" outright, but its been done before, and for the tallest building in SF to have such similarities to other buildings completed/under construction is just wrong. Hopefully a redesign will bring out a unique and inspired design, although I don't feel like Pelli will be able to get anywhere near the SOM proposal's amazing design. Prove me wrong Pelli!
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #779
leoracademico
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
That tells me that the tower is getting a redesign.

that will be wonderful, i mean, i don't disagree with the actual design, but if they make a redesign, it will be cool.
leoracademico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #780
MonsterPug
Straight Outta BK

Likes (Received): 13

Construction of San Francisco’s Transbay Transit Center To Begin This Spring
http://archrecord.construction.com/n...ay_transit.asp

Quote:
When the wrecking ball came down on San Francisco’s 71-year-old Transbay Terminal bus station in December, it marked the end of an era—and the beginning of a new one. The drab concrete structure will be replaced with the long-planned Transbay Transit Center, perhaps the most ambitious transportation hub to be built in the United States in the past few decades.

The $4.2 billion project, designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, includes a multimodal transportation hub, a 5.4-acre rooftop park, and a 1,000-foot-tall tower that will displace the Transamerica Pyramid as the city’s tallest building.

Touted as the Grand Central Terminal of the West, the transit center, scheduled for completion in 2017, will be the focal point of a new mixed-use downtown neighborhood south of Market Street. Construction is scheduled to begin in May.

Funding will come from a variety of sources, including sales-tax revenues, bridge tolls, and federal loans and grants. In January, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced the project would get $400 million in federal stimulus funds, part of a $2.25 billion grant for a high-speed-rail link between Anaheim and San Francisco.

In 2007, Pelli Clarke Pelli won a competition to design the new transit center, which is being developed by the Transbay Joint Powers Authority. The glass-and-steel structure will occupy nearly five city blocks and accommodate buses, commuter trains, and California’s planned high-speed rail line, making it the nation’s first high-speed-rail station.

Planners say the terminal eventually will serve more 45 million passengers a year. Passengers will walk through a light-filled, multilevel facility with undulating glass panels supported by a network of steel columns. The key design element, however, is the rooftop park. “That was probably the boldest part of our proposal,” says Fred Clarke, senior principal of Pelli Clarke Pelli. “And I think it’s one of the reasons we were chosen for the project.”

Designed by Peter Walker and Partners Landscape Architecture, Berkeley, California, the park will be open to the pubic and occupy the transit center’s entire roof. It will include walking paths, playgrounds, cafes, an amphitheater, gardens, and a 1,000-foot-long fountain with water jets triggered by the movement of the buses below. Visitors will enter the park via stairs, escalators, elevators, and perhaps even by funicular.

The park, Clarke says, will help make the transit center a “great neighbor,” not merely a functional transportation hub for daily commuters. “The history of transit centers in the United States is not a happy one,” he says. “They are seldom neighborly buildings—the Port Authority in New York is a perfect example. [Transit centers] tend to be blights on neighborhoods rather than generators.”

But John King, the San Francisco Chronicle’s urban design critic, wonders how many people will actually use the elevated park. “There’s a lot of skepticism about it,” he says. “It may be too large and divorced from the city to really work.”

Though still in the planning-and-review stage, the obelisk-like Transbay Tower will be directly adjacent to the terminal, allowing office workers to have direct access to the rooftop park. King calls the tower’s current design “a little generic-looking,” but Clarke promises an iconic building that will become one of the defining images of San Francisco’s skyline. Unlike the transit center, which has funding fully in place, Clarke says the tower is “at least one real estate cycle away.”

King says few will miss the old Transbay Terminal building, which had fallen into disrepair and decay. Designed by noted San Francisco architect Timothy Pflueger and completed in 1939 as the terminal for commuter trains that once crossed the Bay Bridge, the concrete structure had long outlived its usefulness, even as a bus station. “It wasn’t Grand Central Terminal,” King says. “There was no real push to preserve it.”

MonsterPug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower