daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #781
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Im pretty much only fixated on the tower aspect of the project. i really hope they make it over 1000 ft idc if theres a crown but its gotta be taller
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #782
MonsterPug
Straight Outta BK

Likes (Received): 13

Thanks for your input.
MonsterPug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #783
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

This transit center looks so cool. I'd be more fixated on that. But I'm sure the tower will be equal quality.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #784
leoracademico
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

that station looks very futuristic!.. beautiful!
leoracademico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #785
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 158

Hey, guys we now have a San Francisco forum and it would be great if people also post at the Transbay Terminal Project thread. Thanks.
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #786
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Maybe you could get us some actual info about the project? What's the official status? I just read an article that says that construction should start this spring. They started demolishing the old transport hub back in december. Has the demolition finished?

Can we safely say that the project got approved or that they're preparing the construction site for foundation works? Thanks in advance.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #787
Animo
I'm Watching You

It's already cleared and I passed by it last Sunday. Constructions are going to start soon for sure if you see this barricaded area in the middle of this photo.

image hosted on flickr

By pbo31 on flickr
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #788
Ni3lS

That's great news. Are they still unsure about the tower though? Like the first thing they're going to build is probably just the transport hub right? What's the purpose of the tower actually? Mixed use?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #789
Animo
I'm Watching You

Renderings of the park:

image hosted on flickr

Source: http://www.pcparch.com/
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old May 19th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #790
Animo
I'm Watching You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
That's great news. Are they still unsure about the tower though? Like the first thing they're going to build is probably just the transport hub right? What's the purpose of the tower actually? Mixed use?
The trasport hub for sure since its critical for the hi-speed rail system that is being planned.

I just got this from Wikipedia and it seems to be final:

On May 1, 2008, the city of San Francisco presented its Transbay zoning plan which includes seven towers exceeding the current 550 ft (168 m) height limit, with six towers ranging from 600 feet (183 m) to 800 ft (244 m) and the centerpiece 1,000 ft (305 m) Transbay Tower. Under the city plan, the height of the Renzo Piano towers would be reduced by one-third and the Transbay tower by one-sixth. 181 Fremont Street and Transbay Project II saw their heights cut to only 700 ft (213 m), while 350 Mission Street, currently at 550 ft (168 m), could rise as high as 700 feet (213 m).

The plan also permits buildings to rise as high as 600 ft (183 m) on a block of land bounded by Main (northeast), Howard (southeast), and Beale Streets (southwest). One of the reasons for this reduction was that the Transbay Tower, at 1,200 ft (366 m), would cast a shadow over Justin Herman Plaza near the Embarcadero, a violation of a 1984 law that prohibits structures from casting shadows over plazas and parks. A 1,000 ft (305 m) Transbay Tower would not shadow over a significant portion of Justin Herman Plaza. There is also concern that several existing and proposed buildings might turn the intersection of Mission & Fremont Streets into a glass canyon, as 50 Fremont Center, the Millennium Tower, 350 Mission Street and the Transbay Tower are built or planned to be next to the intersection.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #791
Ni3lS

Yes so those are the permissions and the plans. But it's still unsure if they're gonna build the towers at all right? The transport hub is what matters right. Maybe you could open a thread for the transport hub in general. You can do so in the general urban developments forum. Kind of the same idea as the WTC complex.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #792
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Nothing ever happens in SF...this is so annoying
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #793
Animo
I'm Watching You

What are you talking about? They are just prepping for constructions. Have you visited our San Francisco forum?

One Year In, Officials Say Transbay Terminal Construction On Schedule

Quote:
One year has passed since city officials broke ground for San Francisco's new Transbay Transit Center, and transit authorities today said that construction is right on schedule.

The $4.1 billion transit hub, dubbed the "Grand Central of the West," will replace the old Transbay Transit Terminal at Mission and First streets. The old terminal was built in 1939 and declared seismically unsafe after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989.

The new transit center will act as the terminus station for the planned high-speed rail system between San Francisco and Los Angeles, as well as a hub for 11 other transit operators--Caltrain, AC Transit, BART, Golden Gate Transit, Greyhound, the San Francisco Municipal Railway, San Mateo County Transit District, Western Contra Costa Transit Authority, Lynx, Paratransit and Amtrak.

The first phase of construction, which includes the construction of a five-story transit center and new bus ramps, is scheduled to be completed in October 2017.

Demolition, the first stage of phase one, is expected to be finished by the end of this month and the second stage is already under way, said Robert Beck, a senior project manager for Transbay Joint Powers Authority.

The second stage--the installation of shoring--will allow crews to de-water and excavate the site. Construction crews will also begin construction of a buttress inside the shoring for stability at the end of this month. The buttress is expected to take 18 months to complete.

Construction of the center's below-grade structures--such as the rail levels, which will serve Caltrain and the high-speed rail--is set to begin in late 2012.

Phase two of construction will extend Caltrain's rail line from Fourth and King streets underground to the transit center.

Once finished, the transit center is expected to serve more than 100,000 passengers each weekday and more than 45 million passengers per year.

Erika Heidecker, Bay City News
http://sfappeal.com/news/2011/08/one...n-schedule.php
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #794
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

So which will this project or the Wilshire project in LA come up first? I was really interested in this project about 2 years ago. But after so long of nothing happening, I kinda lost hope/focus. But with what Animo posted, this seems to be a real project. It will reach 1200ft as the title suggests right? Because the wiki citation 4 posts above mine says 1000ft :/
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #795
Animo
I'm Watching You

Some appetizers for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Work continues, though nothing visually interesting is happening at the moment -- mostly utility and shoring work. However, I did find a couple of renderings at the Webcor-Obayashi project website that I hadn't seen before:

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #796
Animo
I'm Watching You

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
So which will this project or the Wilshire project in LA come up first? I was really interested in this project about 2 years ago. But after so long of nothing happening, I kinda lost hope/focus. But with what Animo posted, this seems to be a real project. It will reach 1200ft as the title suggests right? Because the wiki citation 4 posts above mine says 1000ft :/
This was answered at the Transbay Terminal thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Looks like Renzo Piano's tower complex is unlikely to be constructed in the future.
Yes that proposal is dead and has been replaced by this one from SOM (915ft for tallest):

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/newr...eply&p=5004174
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:56 AM   #797
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

nice can't wait to see this get build.
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #798
ElDudarinodotcom

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
October 5, 2011
The Plan For San Francisco's Tallest Tower And Transit Center District

At the center of the 145 acre Transit Center District, the proposed Transit Tower to be on Mission between First and Freemont will rise 920 feet to its roof and to 1,070 feet including its sculptural element, becoming the City’s tallest structure (1,000 feet to the highest enclosed space) and yielding 1.3 million square feet of office and 16,500 square feet of retail.

Currently zoned for heights ranging from 30 to 550 feet, as plugged-in people know, in addition to the the Transit Tower the Transit Center District Plan would allow for an additional six buildings to rise over 550 feet and up to 850 feet on First bewteen Stevenson and Elm Alley.

http://socketsite.com/
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also from http://sfmea.sfplanning.org/2007.0558E_DEIR1.pdf A great drawing showing the tower elevation and distribution of floors.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From SSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
1,070 ain't bad at all. I'm more disappointed that the design hasn't changed much. You can see more renderings by downloading this pdf.

http://sfmea.sfplanning.org/2007.0558E_DEIR1.pdf

Here are some of my favorites from the download.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
ElDudarinodotcom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #799
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

So... The San Fransisco skyline is about to completely change?...
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #800
kazetuner
Perito Mercantil XD

Likes (Received): 38

Ok, I tend to love Cesar Pelli's designs, but he seems to be geting kind of repetitive. This looks like the bastard child between Costanera Center and that proposed tower in midtown manhattan.

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower