daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #801
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Looks like the skyline image of San Francisco is going to be completely changed.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #802
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Nice!!!
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #803
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

IMO it's mostly similar to the Costanera Center.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #804
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Yea. Pelli doesnt have a whole lot of originality.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #805
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetuner View Post
Ok, I tend to love Cesar Pelli's designs, but he seems to be geting kind of repetitive. This looks like the bastard child between Costanera Center and that proposed tower in midtown manhattan.
I 1000% agree with you, this really is 15 Penn. But I don't see that being any catastrophe since the design is good

Btw, this surely is a gigantic project for San Francisco. I kinda don't think that something like this will become reality
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #806
ElDudarinodotcom

Likes (Received): 122

This was actually designed before 15 Penn.

It's height was recently reduced from 1200 to 1070ft, but the design is pretty much the same. Even at 1070ft this will still make a huge impact on the SF skyline. Hopefully the reduction will get the ball rolling on this one. At 1200ft the building would have cast shadows over Justin Herman Plaza near the waterfront, which is a no-no in the eyes of many San Franciscans (stupid I know). The office space market in San Francisco is beginning to turn around, so a new tower definitely seems to be in order.
ElDudarinodotcom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #807
Kato
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Likes (Received): 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo View Post
IMO it's mostly similar to the Costanera Center.
I Agree!
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #808
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Those building don't do anything for the skyline. And why does every new skyscraper have blue glass.

Last edited by kingsc; October 10th, 2011 at 02:16 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #809
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

But why the height get cut down by around 50 metres or so?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #810
ElDudarinodotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
But why the height get cut down by around 50 metres or so?
I already explained this above. At 1200ft the building would have cast shadows over Justin Herman Plaza near the waterfront which is not allowed.
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #811
-Corey-
Je suis tout Ó vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Costanera Center 2? Which one is taller? is 1201ft the final height?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #812
lezgotolondon
Pescara ▄ber Alles

Likes (Received): 1638

awesome project for the best city in the usa.
lezgotolondon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #813
ElDudarinodotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Costanera Center 2? Which one is taller? is 1201ft the final height?
Height is now 1070ft

From http://sfmea.sfplanning.org/2007.0558E_DEIR1.pdf

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #814
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDudarinodotcom View Post
I already explained this above. At 1200ft the building would have cast shadows over Justin Herman Plaza near the waterfront which is not allowed.
$#!+... I guess it's for the best. Stupid plaza. Skyscrapers everywhere have to have their limits, right?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #815
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Those building don't do anything for the skyline. And why does every new skyscraper have to blue glass.
I actually completely disagree. How can this be negative at all? 1,070 feet is a solid building, especially in SF, since its on a fault line. And im willing to bet that at night its going to look SICK. The top lights up...So im satisfied, this building will be great
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #816
kingsc

I was talking about the Picture in the last page. With skyscraper models in blue and green
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #817
ElDudarinodotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I was talking about the Picture in the last page. With skyscraper models in blue and green
Those are just models showing the allowed height for each plot. They are not actual renderings. The green are approved heights, and the blue are proposed. It's not hard to understand. How the hell does this have anything to do with blue glass. Think damn it
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #818
kingsc

I never said those models had anything to do, with the color of this building. I was saying blue skyscraper are played out and boring.
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #819
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Anyone notice the 3 seconds of the SF skyline in the newest Star Trek Movie? Can someone find it and post a screen shot?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #820
ElDudarinodotcom

Bill Maher is a NIMBY douche

Quote:
Transbay Tower plan raises shadow debate

Will Kane, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 12, 2011

San Francisco -- Reaching 1,070 feet into the air, San Francisco's proposed Transbay Tower would be the tallest building west of the Mississippi.

But if approved and built, it could also do something else, critics say: Its shadow, and the shadow of five other buildings proposed to rise at least 700 feet from an area near the old Transbay Terminal at First and Mission streets, could stretch across Market Street and into the parks of North Beach and Chinatown, blocking the sun and turning the parks - at least at certain times of the day - into shadowy wastelands.

That's hyperbole, city officials say. Most parks, including Union Square, would be covered with a smidgen of shadow and only at certain times of the year, like early in the morning during winter, when the sun is low in the sky and most people aren't lounging there.

During most of year, they say, the shadows will miss most parks and open spaces and blend in with every other downtown shadow.

The plan will create a new, high-density downtown core with 1.3 million square feet of office space and 16,500 square feet of retail space. If approved, the project could bring millions of dollars to San Francisco's economy and support the Transbay Terminal, the city's new transit hub.
In the shadows

A newly released environmental analysis of the proposed development explains in detail what the impacts will be: Almost 90 percent of Portsmouth Square would be covered in shade most winter mornings, a 40 percentage point increase. At certain times, Union Square would be entirely shaded by new and existing high-rises, although only for a few minutes.

"What this does is eliminate a significant amount of public sunlight that the public can never get back," said Bill Maher, a proponent of a 1984 voter-approved initiative to prevent new buildings from shading public parks.

Proposition K requires that any new shadows on city parks be approved by both the Planning and Recreation and Park commissions. The development plans will also have to be approved by the Board of Supervisors.
Let the sunshine in

The reality will be far better than the study, officials said. The environmental report analyzed the absolute worst-case scenarios, a theoretical building shaped like a refrigerator, said John Rahaim, the planning director. The planning code requires that the actual buildings be tapered to allow more light to reach the street, he said.

"It will never be that bad for two reasons: Not all the (proposed) buildings will be built, and every building will have a design," he said.

Gabriel Metcalf, co-chairman of a city committee formed to analyze Prop. K issues, said he didn't think the impacts were too severe, or surprising.

"Clearly there will be people who don't like this plan because it is San Francisco, (and) nothing like this could get done without controversy," said Metcalf, who is also head of the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association, a smart-growth think tank.

Most days the parks will be just as they are now, he said. The total amount of new shadow cast on parks over a year - an arcane planning statistic - will increase by only very small amounts, in some cases no more than two-tenths of a percent.

But that increase, or any increase, is still too much for Maher and others. Letting a little shadow encroach onto a park is a slippery slope to a dark, gloomy downtown, he said.

"You can never build a downtown park once you build tall buildings; you can build space, but you can't build a park," Maher said. "I am just not in favor of selling the public sunlight."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNIU1LBU71.DTL

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower