daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #981
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
I doubt that it will start soon because I doubt any developer will start this building without an anchor tenant lined up and, with Salesforce.com leasing all of 350 Mission, I don't know who's left wanting this much (or even a significant part of this much) space.
According to the press release that I linked/quoted:

Quote:
Construction of the 1.4 million-square-foot tower could begin as early as summer 2013
So we are getting close. Especially considering that this project has been in the works for so many years.

SF is also having no trouble leasing office space right now and the developer of the Transbay tower, Boston Properties, sounds pretty confident--as it seems they should be. They're even building a speculative office building in SF as we speak (535 Mission), just a block away from the Transbay tower site, so it's not like they would never build with no anchor tenant, and they've already hinted at the possibility that they might go speculative with the Transbay tower too:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...tional+Feed%29

Quote:
Boston Properties executives say the groundbreaking for the 1,000-foot Transbay Tower in San Francisco will likely take place in 2014, but that it’s too early to tell if it will be built on a speculative basis...
I wouldn't be surprised if they wait for tenants, but i wouldn't be too surprised if they go ahead without them either. Either way, tons of people are leasing office space in downtown SF right now, so I doubt it would be hard to find tenants. Vacancy is pretty low, and the cities tech industry, much of which is centred in SOMA in downtown (where Transbay is), is currently booming.

Last edited by techniques1200s; March 27th, 2013 at 03:17 AM.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #982
mistermonorail

Likes (Received): 123

Groundbreaking

Today is the day!

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2...jor-milestone/

Transbay Tower project hits a major milestone

Wednesday city officials and developers will break ground on the Transbay Tower project — a development that’s been six years in the making.

Mayor Ed Lee and Supervisor Jane Kim and others are expected to be at the ceremonial ground breaking for the building that will become the tallest building on the West Coast.
http://www.monorails.org

Last edited by mistermonorail; March 27th, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
mistermonorail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #983
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonorail View Post
Today is the day!

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2...jor-milestone/

Transbay Tower project hits a major milestone

Wednesday city officials and developers will break ground on the Transbay Tower project — a development that’s been six years in the making.

Mayor Ed Lee and Supervisor Jane Kim and others are expected to be at the ceremonial ground breaking for the building that will become the tallest building on the West Coast.
It is not really a ground breaking moment for the Tower. It is reported that it is still 8-12 mths out before any meaningful construction starts. The ceremony is more for Boston Properties paying the $192 m + for the site. Also, I guess the author of the article did not hear that the Wilshire Grand in LA will be the tallest building on the West Coast when completed.
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #984
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

in the renderings showing this tower they all have those other place holders around it does anyone know what those will look like or if there even going to be built?
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #985
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
According to the press release that I linked/quoted . . . we are getting close. Especially considering that this project has been in the works for so many years.

SF is also having no trouble leasing office space right now and the developer of the Transbay tower, Boston Properties, sounds pretty confident--as it seems they should be. They're even building a speculative office building in SF as we speak (535 Mission), just a block away from the Transbay tower site, so it's not like they would never build with no anchor tenant, and they've already hinted at the possibility that they might go speculative with the Transbay tower too.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wait for tenants, but i wouldn't be too surprised if they go ahead without them either. Either way, tons of people are leasing office space in downtown SF right now, so I doubt it would be hard to find tenants. Vacancy is pretty low, and the cities tech industry, much of which is centred in SOMA in downtown (where Transbay is), is currently booming.
They are not going to build this building entirely spec. They simply aren't. Nobody could afford to build a building this costly only to see it sit empty and accruing costs for any period of time.

Here's a bit from today's Wall Street Journal that probably explains reports that they are about to start it:

Quote:
Race to the Top
The race is on for the distinction of tallest tower on the West Coast, which hasn't seen any buildings taller than 700 feet completed in two decades.

On Wednesday, developers Boston Properties Inc. and Hines are scheduled to break ground on work for their planned 1,070-foot Transbay Tower office building in San Francisco.

Should it be completed, it would be 52 feet taller than the US Bank Tower in Los Angeles, the tallest building west of the Mississippi River. That is, unless a planned 1,100-foot tower in Los Angeles on the site of the Wilshire Grand hotel is completed first.

Last month, the developers of the Los Angeles building, Korean Air Lines Co., 003490.SE -0.86% and their architects at AC Martin Partners released plans for the 73-story skyscraper that would have a 900-room hotel and office and retail space. Demolition of the former hotel is under way.

For now, the developers of both projects plan to be completed by 2017.

But Boston Properties and Hines haven't said whether they will proceed past early stages if they don't have a tenant. Korean Air hasn't released details on its financing.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Transbay+tower

The spec building that you refer to (535 Mission) is also being built Boston Properties but it is a small fraction of the size of the Transbay. You are suggesting they would build 2 buildings in San Francisco with no tenants signed. That won't happen. And it doesn't matter how long it has been on the books.

I think what is about to happen is that nominal construction is about to begin because the tower and terminal were designed as one project and I'm sure that certain underground work on the tower needs to coordinate with the terminal which is proceeding. But I am certain the tower will not rise above ground without an anchor tenant.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #986
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
in the renderings showing this tower they all have those other place holders around it does anyone know what those will look like or if there even going to be built?
I don't know if these are even serious proposals, often when I see renders the project itself looks good but the surrounding is made very badly.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #987
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

- dmca
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #988
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post

In this rendering, which I believe is the one to which you refer, all the greenish ghostly towers are the "place holders". Each one represents a buildable lot, some owned by the state because they are land on which old freeway ramps stood and others in private hands. Most (if not all) of them have proposals in the pipeline and you will find renderings in the various San Francisco forums. For example, the one most immediately to the right of the Transbay in the above rendering is 181 Fremont St and the proposal for that site is a 54 floor tower that looks like this:

I can't provide all the others but, with maybe a couple of exceptions, these towers are all real projects and all will ultimately get built. But San Francisco's office market is not as large as New York or Chicago and only absorbs a million or so square feet per year. That means that office projects tend to get done just a few each year while any number of residential buildings can get done because the housing demand is insatiable. Most of the towers shown nearest the Transbay are office proposals.

There are 2 office buildings currently under construction in downtown San Francisco with possibly 2 more soon to break ground (not counting the Transbay). The 2 under construction are within a block of the Transbay (350 Mission--30 floors, and Foundry Square--9 floors and right next to the Transbay Terminal). One of the 2 about to start (535 Mission) is also within a block.

For SF, that's a bit of a boom.

Animo liked this post

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; March 28th, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #989
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1029

If residential demand is so insatiable (which I certainly believe given the home prices I've seen in the Bay Area), why are the majority of proposals near Transbay office towers? Is there something in the zoning that doesn't allow residential development in this part of downtown?
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #990
tim1807
faster than buildings

Maybe because it's mostly an office center, and there are other better placer for residential towers.
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #991
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...RxObP&page=all

Facebook, of course, is building its own HQ in the South Bay but the little reparte' does suggest that the need for an anchor tenant is at the top of Zuckerman's mind.
Zuckenberg owns a home in the Mission District so it will be interesting if Facebook becomes another Salesforce and takes a large portion of the TB Tower. I am sure he would love the Facebook sign on the top of the building.
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #992
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
If residential demand is so insatiable (which I certainly believe given the home prices I've seen in the Bay Area), why are the majority of proposals near Transbay office towers? Is there something in the zoning that doesn't allow residential development in this part of downtown?
No, it allows residential. Right across the street from the Transbay is the Millenium Tower, a 60 floor residential building.

And now comes news that the tower I sited above, 181 Fremont, which is connected to the Transbay Terminal by an elevated walkway, may begin construction in about 3 months ( http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post101749408 ). The tenants of the exiting structure have been given that long to vacate. Completion is expected in 2015. And it will be mixed use: Office and condos on the top 14 floors.
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #993
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit View Post
Zuckenberg owns a home in the Mission District so it will be interesting if Facebook becomes another Salesforce and takes a large portion of the TB Tower. I am sure he would love the Facebook sign on the top of the building.
But once again, he is just about to build a massive new South Bay campus. These tech titans all seem to own San Francisco homes (Oracle's Larry Ellison is another--who wants to drive to the South Bay after a night of partying) and some of them (Google) have opened small SF offices, but for the most part whatever brings them to the city themselves doesn't seem enough to endure the higher costs of locating their businesses here (unless they, like Twitter, can find a big old building crying for renovation in a tax-free zone).
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #994
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Maybe because it's mostly an office center, and there are other better placer for residential towers.
Rincon Hill, about 5 blocks away, is where the Planning Dept. wants to see most of the residential. There is one 50 floor tower (One Rincon Hill Tower 2) under construction there now and 3 or 4 more approved (and able to start whenever the developers can get funding). Also, on Folsom Street and 3 or 4 blocks away is 201 Folsom, a completely residential building of 2 towers, 35 and 40 floors as I recall, that could start any time.

All of these buildings are in the SF Compilation Thread (although I have been too busy to keep redesigns there completely current) and in the "Projects" section of the SF Bay Area section.
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #995
tim1807
faster than buildings

Ok thanks for the explanation, iI'll check that out.

Animo liked this post
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #996
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1029

Ditto; thanks for the info.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #997
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Ok thanks for the explanation, iI'll check that out.
By the way, in the large rendering with the green ghost buildings I reposted above, Rincon Hill (where they want more residential) is at the bottom of the image, just above the section of freeway you can see. One Rincon Hill (a pair of towers with one complete and the other under construction) can be seen right next to the freeway in the foreground. The other "ghost" buildings around that area are the new residential buildings of which I spoke.
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #998
eyeofodin

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit View Post
and his family lives in mine! His dad is a dentist still too...
eyeofodin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:28 AM   #999
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

San Francisco, Los Angeles Vie For Tallest Skyscraper

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO -- Starry-eyed city leaders boast that the $4.2 billion Transbay Transit Center planned for South of Market will include the tallest building on the West Coast, but they've left out one crucial detail: a tower in Los Angeles that is poised to stretch 30 feet higher.

Mayor Ed Lee and other city officials this week celebrated the $192 million acquisition of a property at the corner of First and Mission streets where two developers will erect the 1,070-foot-tall Transbay Transit Tower by 2017. The office tower will become the tallest building in San Francisco, eclipsing the iconic Transamerica Pyramid, built in 1972.

But the elegantly tapered skyscraper's western dominion will be short-lived, if it ever comes to pass. Korean Air is planning an ambitious hotel and office tower in downtown Los Angeles that will rise 1,100 feet, including a 100-foot stainless steel spire. The new Wilshire Grand is also slated to open in 2017.

Nonetheless, Lee joined the Transbay Joint Power Authority on Tuesday in touting the supremacy of the Transbay tower, which will soar above a new transportation hub supporting 11 transit systems and a micro-neighborhood with 2,600 residential units.

"Soon to be the West Coast's tallest building," Lee crowed in a statement, "the Transbay tower benefits not only a world-class transit facility but also represents the strength of our city's recovery."

Asked about the Wilshire Grand, the communications team for the Transbay Joint Powers Authority at first stuck to its position that the Transbay tower will be taller. Spokesman Adam Alberti even claimed San Francisco's new skyscraper will be significantly higher than 1,070 feet. He later acknowledged this was incorrect.

Alberti said the authority is not concerned with bragging rights, just a well-conceived project: "If that ends up with us having the second-tallest tower in the west by some standards, I don't think anyone will lose sleep over it."

The mayor's office did not respond Friday to a request for comment.

[...]
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #1000
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Why was the tower shortened?

Wasn't this tower originally supposed to be 1,200 feet? Now it has been shortened considerably? Was it because of economic reasons? Esthetics?
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower