daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #1001
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
Wasn't this tower originally supposed to be 1,200 feet? Now it has been shortened considerably? Was it because of economic reasons? Esthetics?
It was lowered because of the Sunshine Law. It would have caused a shadow effect in the neighborhood plazas. From a quote in a news piece:

"A released environmental analysis of the proposed development explains in detail what the impacts will be: Almost 90 percent of Portsmouth Square would be covered in shade most winter mornings, a 40 percentage point increase. At certain times, Union Square would be entirely shaded by new and existing high-rises, although only for a few minutes.

"What this does is eliminate a significant amount of public sunlight that the public can never get back," said Bill Maher, a proponent of a 1984 voter-approved initiative to prevent new buildings from shading public parks.

Proposition K requires that any new shadows on city parks be approved by both the Planning and Recreation and Park commissions. The development plans will also have to be approved by the Board of Supervisors."
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #1002
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Cesar Pelli’s Transbay Transit Tower, soon to be the tallest building west of the Mississippi, will reshape San Francisco’s skyline

Quote:
The city by the bay will have a new heart in its skyline, once the tower’s 61 stories soar to 1070 feet.

[img]
By David Knowles / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 12:01 AM
Updated: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 12:01 AM

Architect Cesar Pelli says he hopes his creation will add some spark to what has become a "rather boring skyline" in San Francisco.

SAN FRANCISCO--A tower rises in the west.

Designed by renowned architect Cesar Pelli, construction of San Francisco’s Transbay Transit Tower is now officially underway.

A mixed use skyscraper that will reside atop the Transbay Terminal — a future rail hub that developers are billing as the west coast equivalent to Grand Central Station — Pelli’s sleek tower will reach 61 stories, 1070 feet into the sky, making it the tallest building west of the Mississippi River. “The numbers don’t interest me,” Pelli told the Daily News. “What is important is that the building be visible above others.”

The Transbay Transit Tower will be more than 200 feet taller than the Transamerica Pyramid.

More than 200 feet taller than the iconic Transamerica Pyramid, the city’s highest man made peak since it was completed in 1972, Pelli’s design will go up just south of Market St., a part of town ripe for the addition of a bold architectural landmark. “I have known San Francisco for over 50 years,” Pelli said, “and it used to have a much more cheery silhouette than it does today. I’m sad to say it has become a rather boring skyline because of building codes.”

As with every building project in San Francisco, earthquake safety is a priority, but even though the tower is going up in a part of the city where landfill was used to cover over the Bay, Pelli says there’s no need to worry. “Towers are inherently safer in earthquakes than low buildings,” Pelli said. “If you know an earthquake is coming run to the tallest building you can find.”

The developers for the project — Boston Properties, Inc., which is owned by Daily News publisher Mort Zuckerman, and Hines — estimate that building the tower will cost upwards of $1 billion.

Part of the new Transbay Terminal, a high speed rail and transportation hub, the Transbay Transit Tower will feature approximately 1.3 million square feet of rental space.

With luck, by the time the tower is finished in 2016, the adjacent rail terminal will be have progressed beyond the planning stage. Then again, since California voters approved a high speed rail line connecting San Francisco and Los Angeles five years ago, the estimated cost of the project has doubled to a jaw dropping $69 billion.

Still, with or without the high speed train, the Transbay Transit Tower will be completed and offer 1,300,000 square feet of rental space. “It will be a shame if California doesn’t build high speed rail,” Pelli said. “When I go to Japan I never fly while I’m there. I take the Shinkansen everywhere.”

Set at the corner of First and Mission Streets, the Transbay Transit Tower will cost an estimated $1 billion to build.

With anticipation running high in San Francisco to see how the Transbay Transit Tower will reshape the city, Pelli is already on to new projects. When asked if there’s anywhere in the world he’d especially like to leave his architectural mark, he laughs and says he leaves that up to his clients. “I’m like a kid on Christmas, waiting to see what I’m going to be given,” he explained.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2PfQXjXNm
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #1003
SWFC fan
like a whisper...

Likes (Received): 46

O.O
ooooohh Ceasar Peli has some cool models. ^_^

And those renders....MMMMHHHMMMHHHH!!

~My Hand-Drawn Fictional Model City~
SWFC fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #1004
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Pelli is somewhat of a one-trick pony, but it's quite a beautiful trick in this case.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #1005
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

We have seen similar designs all over the place.

btw, I love statements like this:
Quote:
“What is important is that the building be visible above others.”
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1006
-Corey-
Je suis tout vous

Likes (Received): 5222

so is it finally u/c?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1007
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
so is it finally u/c?
Not yet. There was a ceremonial turning of the shovel recently but it still might be 6 mths out before anything is started.
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #1008
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

stilll....clloser every day. I can't wait until this building is complete. Though I do still wish it was the more popular design ;(

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:13 AM   #1009
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

In case anyone is wondering, nothing happening (nor anything likely to, I still believe, until they can find a primary tenant). Here is the site today:

The Transit Center, however, is moving forward nicely:

In the immediate foreground of this shot is the "train box"--the underground space where the train platforms will be. It looks to be already excavated about deep enough and the excavation work has moved to the blocks to the east.

Manitopiaaa, kanye liked this post

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; May 1st, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1010
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

Non tenants yet? Lets hope that that will change soon.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1011
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 483

I'm not too worried about the Transbay tower finding tenants:

Quote:
As Paul Paradis, senior managing director of Hines notes, "Tenant interest in the financial, professional services and tech sectors has been extremely high. Now that we are closing on the land and moving full speed ahead with the design, Im confident that discussions will progress into leasing quickly.
http://www.rebusinessonline.com/main.cfm?id=28996

Quote:
Boston Properties CEO Mortimer Zuckerman, responding to a name gaff from Mayor Ed Lee, dropped hints that Facebook may be the future anchor tenant of the tower.
http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/58004

Demand for office space is currently high in SF (particularly among the tech sector), and vacancies are low. It's already been stated multiple times that construction on the tower could start later this year or early next year.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #1012
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Boston Properties Builds San Francisco, Exits Downtown San Jose

Quote:
Posted on May 2, 2013 by publisher in BREAKING news, Commercial, Finance

By Sharon Simonson

Even as office landlord Boston Properties aggressively pursues San Francisco office construction, including speculative development, and beefs up its ownership in Mountain View, it is shedding assets in downtown San Jose, saying the market after 10 years has not lived up to expectations.

Executives for the real estate investment trust said May 1 that they are exploring ways to speed development of the 1.4 million square-foot Transbay Transit Tower in San Francisco by nearly a year or more, while also examining whether to take on a capital partner.

At the same time, the Boston-based real estate investment trust has started speculative development on a second San Francisco office tower at 535 Mission St. with 307,000 square feet, also adjacent to the city’s new Transbay Transit Center.

The company is rushing to take advantage of the persistent demand from tech tenants to be in the city. “Uber, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo!, WeWorks, Square and AppDynamics are all looking for large blocks of space in the CBD of San Francisco,” said President Douglas T. Linde.

The company acquired the Mission Street site in February and expects to deliver the $215 million project by mid-2014 with occupancy by the end of the year. The company prefers leases of two floors or more. “We expect a broad range of smaller tech tenants and legal users,” Linde said. They anticipate a 7 percent return.

Original plans called for construction on the Transbay Tower, slated to be the tallest building on the West Coast, to start as early as this summer and to be complete by 2016, just before the opening of the adjacent transit center.

Under questioning from an analyst about how the company intends to proceed with the project, including attitudes about building speculatively, Linde said the company has found a way to cut 10 months to 14 months from the timeline while creating a natural stopping point before starting vertical development when it can reassess the market.

[...]
Transbay Tower

http://archinect.com/people/project/...enter/15570557
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #1013
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

sorry to bump this but was thinking about it..is this now a done deal that this will be built? or a greater then 75% chance?
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #1014
-Corey-
Je suis tout vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Tallest building on the West Coast?? They really need to update that article...

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1015
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
sorry to bump this but was thinking about it..is this now a done deal that this will be built? or a greater then 75% chance?
You should at least try reading some of posts above before asking. The tower is approved, but it might not start construction until an anchor tenant is found.

Quote:
Well it may become the tallest for a short time assuming they begin construction soon.
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1016
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
By roof it'll truly be the tallest on the west coast and that is what matters to me

Animo liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1017
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
By roof it'll truly be the tallest on the west coast and that is what matters to me
You forgetting about the US Bank Tower?
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1018
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I dunno but from what I know the US Bank Tower is 310 meters or 1018 feet while this will be 326 meters or 1070 feet. Has there been a height reduction for this one?
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1019
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

1070 feet is not to the roof. There's an added architectural parapet. The roof will be at 920 feet if I remember correctly.

www.socketsite.com
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #1020
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Parapets are counted towards roof height. Take the NYC Bank of America Tower for example. It has a roof height of 289 meters even though at least 10 meters of that are a parapet. Roof height includes roof slabs, parapets and closed crowns, it doesn't include open air lattice crowns, antennas and spires

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower