daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ģ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #1101
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Is this going to have an Observation deck? There seems to be a dearth of Observation decks in San Francisco.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #1102
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 486

^I don't know, but that would be great.

As for whether crowns and spires are included in the height of a building, I agree. I was just saying that the roof of the transbay tower is at 912 feet, or 970 to the top of the mechanical penthouse. With the crown, the total structural height is 1,070 feet though.

techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1103
112597Jorge

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
parapets are always counted in the official height.
so are spires, but not roof height.

US Bank will still be the tallest tower (roof Height) in W. USA.

112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1104
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

However Transbay is the only building on SSP which's solid parapet they don't count, so I'd say this is an error since there are thousands of buildings on SSP for which their solid parapet is counted towards roof height

The general consenzus on SSP is that solid parapets are counted towards roof height and I agree with it

Last edited by Kanto; September 29th, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1105
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
However Transbay is the only building on SSP which's solid parapet they don't count, so I'd say this is an error since there are thousands of buildings on SSP for which their solid parapet is counted towards roof height
That's not true. The correct height of 1,070' is listed on SSP, and it's not the only building where the roof height is listed separately from the total height. Crowns/parapets/spires aren't "the roof" in architectural terms....they go on top of the roof. They're included in a buildings height obviously, but roof height is always going to be lower than the total height of a building when crowns/parapets/spires are involved. The US Bank tower in LA will still have the tallest roof on the west coast, but it won't be the tallest building on the west coast anywhere.

Last edited by techniques1200s; September 29th, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #1106
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Not exactly, solid parapets and solid crowns are part of a roof and therefore count in roof height. Open air parapets, open air crowns, spires and antenna are additions on top of a roof. The other buildings (other than Transbay) on SSP for which they don't count parapets all have open air parapets and these are not part of roof height. Those that have solid parapets have them counted towards roof height in 99% of their drawings

Old September 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1107
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Transbay will be the tallest by roof height, Wilshire the tallest by pinnacle height and official height. Transbay has a roof height of 326m/1070f while Wilshire has a roof height of 285m/934f but a spire height of 335m/1100f. For comparison, US Bank has a roof height of 310m/1018f and Transamerica Pyramid has a roof height of 260m/853f

I hope this helps and don't be frustrated with forumers who are mean to you cause none of us, not even them have ever browsed through an entire thread just to get answers. If you need any info, just ask, there's nothing bad about asking
Thanks buddy. I appreciate your generosity.

These two buildings will forever change and bring a new dynamic to SF and LA....hopefully for more "out of the box" designs.

Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #1108
ElDudarinodotcom

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
LAYNE CHRISTENSEN ANNOUNCES $19 MILLION GEOCONSTRUCTION CONTRACT
By GlobeNewswire, September 18, 2013, 12:30:00 PM EDT

THE WOODLANDS, Texas, Sept. 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Layne Christensen Company(Nasdaq:LAYN) ("Layne") today announced that its Geoconstruction Division received a contract to provide specialized foundation work in connection with the construction of Transbay Tower in San Francisco.

The contract has an estimated value to Layne of approximately $19 million. Work on the project is expected to commence in October 2013 and last approximately 6 months.

Transbay Tower is a 1.3 million square-foot, 61-story skyscraper that will become the centerpiece of a 145-acre, multi-purpose development in downtown San Francisco. The tower, which will be built adjacent to the Transbay Transit Center, is slated to become the tallest building on the West Coast, rising to a height of 1,070 feet.

Layne's Geoconstruction Division will install the building foundation system by the use of LBE (load bearing elements). Seated approximately 245 feet deep, these LBE are designed to support vertical loads from the building framing system and transfer them to the foundation.

Rene Robichaud, Chief Executive Officer of Layne, said, "Layne's selection as a contractor for this landmark project is a recognition of our world-class ability to offer specialty foundation construction services in a safe and sustainable manner. We are excited to be a part of a project that will help transform San Francisco's skyline and form the new heart of a revitalized neighborhood."...
full article: http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/...20130918-00769

ElDudarinodotcom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:53 AM   #1109
112597Jorge

Quote:
Not exactly, solid parapets and solid crowns are part of a roof and therefore count in roof height. Open air parapets, open air crowns, spires and antenna are additions on top of a roof. The other buildings (other than Transbay) on SSP for which they don't count parapets all have open air parapets and these are not part of roof height. Those that have solid parapets have them counted towards roof height in 99% of their drawings
the solid crown of the wilshire grand is not counted toward roof height.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:39 AM   #1110
Kanto
Roof height crusader

From the renders I saw it looks like Wilshire will have an open air lattice crown and those are not counted towards roof height

Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:35 AM   #1111
112597Jorge

Quote:
From the renders I saw it looks like Wilshire will have an open air lattice crown and those are not counted towards roof height
what do you mean by open air. The Wilshire Grand crown will have a helipad (small squared) on the top of it, just over 1,000 ft.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1112
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

He means that it won't have walls. It's kind of a weird distinction, to be honest, but that's personal taste. Kanto's definition isn't what the CTBUH uses. In fact, they don't recognize "roof height" at all, but rather only Architectural Top (which includes spires), Highest Occupied Floor and Height to Tip.

112597Jorge, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #1113
112597Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
He means that it won't have walls. It's kind of a weird distinction, to be honest, but that's personal taste. Kanto's definition isn't what the CTBUH uses. In fact, they don't recognize "roof height" at all, but rather only Architectural Top (which includes spires), Highest Occupied Floor and Height to Tip.
The crown definitely has walls, how else would it be standing, there is a stair case inside the crown to the top where the pad is located at.

Old October 4th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #1114
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

I mean that it's an open framework... although I've just gone back and looked at it more closely and it does appear to be covered in glass in a way that I didn't remember (not that a glass curtain wall is holding anything up). That in mind, Kanto, the Wilshire Grand crown is looking more, or at least equally, deserving of rooftop status when compared to the Transbay parapet.

Edit: Although, I will eat a damned horse if there ever actually land a helicopter on that thing. It looks WILDLY unsafe.

Last edited by MarshallKnight; October 4th, 2013 at 03:34 AM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1115
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

I would creep out xD

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1116
Kenni
What?

Quote:
I mean that it's an open framework... although I've just gone back and looked at it more closely and it does appear to be covered in glass in a way that I didn't remember (not that a glass curtain wall is holding anything up). That in mind, Kanto, the Wilshire Grand crown is looking more, or at least equally, deserving of rooftop status when compared to the Transbay parapet.

Edit: Although, I will eat a damned horse if there ever actually land a helicopter on that thing. It looks WILDLY unsafe.
They have to make it usable, it can't just be for show or to comply with municipal law. Scary though, you might have to eat that horse
Old October 5th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1117
SF1977

Likes (Received): 177

It looks like the crown has been refined, at least according to the new renderings on Cesar Pelli's site:
http://pcparch.com/project/transbay-tower

Old October 6th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #1118
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28294

Quote:

the steel underneath the helipad (on top of the crown) looks strong enough to me to support the weight of a heli.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1119
Torch

Likes (Received): 1015

Wow that is a long walk from helipad to the top usable floor.

Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #1120
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

I've been out of town and not been able to drive by the construction site. Did I see a picture somewhere that there is some minor pre-construction/construction prep activity going on? Is there? I will definitely try to get some pictures this week of the site... There is an astounding amount of construction going on in the area. Quite an exciting time for San Francisco!

ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower