daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #1121
ElDudarinodotcom

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
I've been out of town and not been able to drive by the construction site. Did I see a picture somewhere that there is some minor pre-construction/construction prep activity going on? Is there? I will definitely try to get some pictures this week of the site... There is an astounding amount of construction going on in the area. Quite an exciting time for San Francisco!
Yes, they seem to be doing some digging in the corners. Nothing major yet. Looks like site prep.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ElDudarinodotcom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #1122
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Highrise Check-In: Transbay Tower

Quote:
Currently: A call to the planning office reveals that the building permit has finally been issued as of September 27 along with a 6 month permit to reserve street parking around the site as of October 10. It appears initial excavation is just getting underway. Expect progress to be slow at first, but speed up as more earth is moved for the multi-story basement.

Eric Offereins, CrazyAboutCities liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #1123
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

I'm really excited for this. Its a nice tower, for a nice city!
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #1124
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

image hosted on flickr

Transbay Tower by urbanists, on Flickr

Munwon, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1125
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

I just realized that this wasn't in Proposal section any more.

msquaredb, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1126
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetgeneral View Post
I just realized that this wasn't in Proposal section any more.
It is for me?

Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #1127
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

Wow I actually forgot about this tower, its been on the cards for years

I <3 London

poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1128
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

this tower is taking forever to get built.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1129
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
this tower is taking forever to get built.
Curbed is reporting that the building permit was issued as of September 27th. Excavation is now proceeding but at a slow pace.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2013/1..._more.php#more

theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1130
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit View Post
Curbed is reporting that the building permit was issued as of September 27th. Excavation is now proceeding but at a slow pace.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2013/1..._more.php#more
I do hope they are finally getting there. Because this tempo that is adapted there don't seem like there is any urgency in finishing it anytime soon.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #1131
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28211

It looks like there are still some old foundations in the ground?

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #1132
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
I do hope they are finally getting there. Because this tempo that is adapted there don't seem like there is any urgency in finishing it anytime soon.
I guess it's time to repeat the explanation of this entire project.

The driving force behind it was a desire on the part of the city to move the terminus of the CalTrain commuter rail lines closer to the Financial District and to combine that with a new terminal for transbay bus lines at the site of the decrepit 1930s TransBay Terminal.

The tower was conceived as part of the financing for the terminal--sell the excess land that was formerly just a paved plaza in front of the old terminal and use the money to help finance the new terminal.

So that was done and the city has proceeded with the new terminal. This building is 3 blocks long and requires excavation to a depth adequate for the train platforms etc underground--which involves shoring of what is essentially bay mud and fill (not rock like Manhattan). The excavation is proceeding at maximum speed but still has taken several years.

Still, the tower is now in the hands of private developers and will be built on their schedule. Initially, Hines was the sole developer but their plans were interrupted by the recession. They subsequently sold a portion of their interest to Boston Properties and the project is now a joint one.

I, frankly, have had doubts all along that San Francisco's office market needed this much new space along with the other office buildings getting built such as the 54 story 181 Fremont, 222 Second, 350 Mission and 535 Mission. But it seems like this one is now proceeding since the building permit has been issued.
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1133
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
It looks like there are still some old foundations in the ground?
Possibly from the prior terminal building although the site of the tower itself was mostly just a paved square and driveway area for buses since before WW II (I have no idea what it was before that).

When they dig in this area they sometimes find derelict ships from the Gold Rush (the crews abandoned them for the gold fields and they sank at their moorings). Much of it was later filled in with dredged mud.

Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #1134
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 484

I was just down there today and there's a lot of activity on site, with multiple excavators digging away. Didn't seem slow to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
I, frankly, have had doubts all along that San Francisco's office market needed this much new space along with the other office buildings getting built such as the 54 story 181 Fremont, 222 Second, 350 Mission and 535 Mission. But it seems like this one is now proceeding since the building permit has been issued.
Yet despite your doubts that you often repeat, every single one of those buildings you mention was approved and are either under construction right now (350 mission, 535 mission), or under going site prep, with construction not too far off (181 Fremont, 222 Second, Transbay). Could it be that the city planners and the developers actually know what's going on with the market and would never have gone through with their respective projects if they were just wasting their time and money? I think you're just a bit pessimistic, honestly.

techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #1135
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
When they dig in this area they sometimes find derelict ships from the Gold Rush (the crews abandoned them for the gold fields and they sank at their moorings). Much of it was later filled in with dredged mud.
Though it delays construction, it's always cool when they find pieces of history like that. Last year they found a 10,000+ year old mammoth tooth buried at the terminal construction site:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...truction-site/

techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #1136
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
I was just down there today and there's a lot of activity on site, with multiple excavators digging away. Didn't seem slow to me.

Yet despite your doubts that you often repeat, every single one of those buildings you mention was approved and are either under construction right now (350 mission, 535 mission), or under going site prep, with construction not too far off (181 Fremont, 222 Second, Transbay). Could it be that the city planners and the developers actually know what's going on with the market and would never have gone through with their respective projects if they were just wasting their time and money? I think you're just a bit pessimistic, honestly.
It's not up to city planners. They evaluate and approve (or reject) what they are asked to by developers--up to the limit of the 1990s ballot prop. It's up to developers either finding tenants or deciding to build on spec (or not). 350 market found a tenant for the entire project (Salesforce.com). 535 Mission is a small building and being built on spec which seems reasonable since it won't take too many law firms or whatnot to fill it. I've not heard of anchor tenants for 181 Fremont or 222 second yet but together they (without the Transbay) represent about what I'd guess the SF market needs about now. That still leaves me wondering who will fill up the vastness of an all-office supertall.

I've never argued the developers don't know what's going on in terms of the need for office space though I'm ready to argue anytime that few if any people active on this forum do. I have been simply guessing based on the apparent absorption rate over the 2 decades I've been observing it--we've built and filled less than a million sq ft per year TOTAL but will soon have under construction a couple of times that. That million square feet absorption number comes from the fact that Prop. M allows 950,000 sq ft in new construction each year and we have several million square feet of that banked . . . unbuilt because of lack of demand.

I think the uncertainty about the market may have something to do with why it has taken until now for the tower to get going. And only time will tell us how much trouble they have renting it if there are no further delays.

Incidentally, 4 years or so ago I guessed Hines might never build it but would sell the property and rights. I was 3/4 right. They didn't sell their entire interest but I'd say Boston Properties is the lead developer on the project now. Actually, I think the best reason to think it WILL get built now is because Mort Zuckerman isn't the sort to buy into this project unless he plans to move forward with it promptly.

Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:16 AM   #1137
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Drove by the site 10/20/13 (despite the BART strike)

I braved the strike plagued Bay Area freeways and made my way to the Transbay Tower construction site. It appeared to me that there was allot of activity going on in the site having to do with excavation. This beauty is definitely proceeding!

A question... how deep is the basement going to go? The walls between the existing Transbay Terminal construction site appear to be thin... I know the engineers know what they are doing but the pile driving alone could prove to be problematic with vibrations on the existing supports for the Transbay Terminal? Again I realize they have thought of this but was wondering if anyone else had any insight?

ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:44 AM   #1138
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

So how're things in San Francisco people?

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:32 AM   #1139
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
So how're things in San Francisco people?
They're good. I went shopping yesterday to Nordstrom Rack and bought a new pair of panties.
Old November 1st, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1140
ElDudarinodotcom

Likes (Received): 122

Looking at the construction camera, there is definitely a lot more digging going on. Several excavators on site. Hopefully it starts to pick up speed.

http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...mission-camera

ElDudarinodotcom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower