daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #1221
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

is this officially UC? or just approved?
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #1222
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

There's foundation work underway with Bauer drillers and various cranes. Tough to find decent shots...
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #1223
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

SF Business Times is reporting that Salesforce is going to make an announcement with Mayor Lee on Friday regarding their future in SF. Speculation is that they will announce a sizable lease in the TB Tower.
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #1224
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
is this officially UC? or just approved?
The semi-official status (as reported by Boston Properties, the principle developer, to its shareholders at its annual meeting a month or 2 ago) is that the foundation up to the ground level is under construction and they have $1B in the bank ready to pay for the above-ground work but have not yet given the official go-ahead on that. It seems fairly obvious what they are waiting for is the signing of an anchor tenant which, if the post above is correct, could come later today, but in any case should come quite soon given what everyone is saying about the rapid absorption of available office space in the city.

Given that it will likely take at least a year to complete the below-ground work, there should be no interruption between below and above ground phases. So consider it under construction.

The target date for completion is roughly simultaneous with the Terminal in 2017.

All of this has, of course, now been posted several times if people would read back a few pages.

fredcalif, spectre000 liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #1225
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTrip View Post
Transbay Tower will look like a 1070' tower whereas Wilshire Grand will look like a 984' tower with a long toothpick on top.
Spires count. Cry more. Wilshire Grand is officially taller

Even still, the roof of your transbay only goes up to 912 feet, whereas the Wilshire grand has it's roof up to 934 feet. You may have a building that appears taller, but it's not officially taller
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #1226
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit View Post
SF Business Times is reporting that Salesforce is going to make an announcement with Mayor Lee on Friday regarding their future in SF. Speculation is that they will announce a sizable lease in the TB Tower.
Apparently it's already confirmed that they doubled their lease in transbay from 300k square feet to 600k, and that it may rise as high as 700k:

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...s-surge-in-14/

So the big announcement coming up may be something else entirely. It is being called a "historic investment in SF", which sounds bigger than just leasing more office space, at least. We'll find out soon. Hopefully it's something crazy like a a massive donation for subway extensions or maybe the construction of starfleet command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post

Even still, the roof of your transbay only goes up to 912 feet, whereas the Wilshire grand has it's roof up to 934 feet. You may have a building that appears taller, but it's not officially taller
Of course Wilshire is officially taller, but the "roof" stat for Transbay is kind of meaningless. The 912' roof height is to the top of occupied floors, but there's also a large mechanical penthouse on top of that with its own roof at 970'. And then there's the crown on top of that too:

Old April 11th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #1227
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

No Observation Deck? BIG mistake.

pteranodon liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1228
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
The semi-official status (as reported by Boston Properties, the principle developer, to its shareholders at its annual meeting a month or 2 ago) is that the foundation up to the ground level is under construction and they have $1B in the bank ready to pay for the above-ground work but have not yet given the official go-ahead on that. It seems fairly obvious what they are waiting for is the signing of an anchor tenant which, if the post above is correct, could come later today, but in any case should come quite soon given what everyone is saying about the rapid absorption of available office space in the city.

Given that it will likely take at least a year to complete the below-ground work, there should be no interruption between below and above ground phases. So consider it under construction.

The target date for completion is roughly simultaneous with the Terminal in 2017.

All of this has, of course, now been posted several times if people would read back a few pages.
ok thanks
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #1229
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Yeah, can't believe this thread was started in December, 2006.
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #1230
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
No Observation Deck? BIG mistake.
Agreed. The observation decks at 30 Rock and ESB in New York are those building's biggest money-makers, and SF has at least as big a tourist economy (per capita, anyway) as New York. Add to that the natural beauty of the surroundings, and the developers have seriously boned themselves out of a huge opportunity.

pteranodon liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #1231
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:

Not exactly. A solid parapet or a solid crown are part of a roof and therefore count as roof height. Only spires, antennas, open air lattice crowns and open air lattice parapets don't count as roof height. This means that the roof height of Transbay is 326 meters while the roof height of Wilshire is 305 meters. But neither of these gets the title if the massing models of the new Seattle supertall are accurate
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1232
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
the roof of your transbay only goes up to 912 feet, whereas the Wilshire grand has it's roof up to 934 feet. You may have a building that appears taller, but it's not officially taller
Can you not tell from who keeps posting this comparative drivel that no one north of Santa Barbara CARES? Learn to troll yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Not exactly. A solid parapet or a solid crown are part of a roof and therefore count as roof height. Only spires, antennas, open air lattice crowns and open air lattice parapets don't count as roof height. This means that the roof height of Transbay is 326 meters while the roof height of Wilshire is 305 meters. But neither of these gets the title if the massing models of the new Seattle supertall are accurate
Nobody south of Portland cares about that either.

hugh liked this post
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #1233
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

So, we can now put aside all questions and doubts about construction because the building is leased:

Quote:
Salesforce makes landmark deal to lease half of Transbay Tower
Ellen Huet and John Coté
Updated 7:47 am, Friday, April 11, 2014

Salesforce.com will lease half of the planned Transbay Tower in a landmark real estate deal that puts San Francisco's largest tech employer inside what is slated to be the city's tallest building.

Company and city officials are set to announce in a private meeting Friday that Salesforce will be the anchor tenant in Transbay Tower - now to become Salesforce Tower thanks to a naming rights agreement - when the 61-story skyscraper is completed in 2017.

The cloud-computing company will pay $560 million over 15 1/2 years to lead developer Boston Properties for 30 floors at Mission and Fremont streets . . . .

The planned skyscraper is within a block of 50 Fremont, where the company already leases 500,000 square feet, and a not-yet-finished 30-story building at 350 Mission, where Salesforce plans to fill every floor by 2015. Those leases will continue even after Salesforce moves into its tower.

The three buildings - within a stone's throw of one another and the planned Transbay Transit Center - will form the base of an enormous urban corporate campus at Fremont and Mission streets . . . .

Salesforce workers prefer the location to Mission Bay because of nearby transportation and restaurants, the mayor said.

Benioff "freely admits that his employees said, 'We like this area,' " Lee said.

By 2017, when Salesforce Tower is set to open, the company plans to have doubled in size - both in leased space and in the number of San Francisco-based employees.

Already the city's biggest tech tenant, Salesforce currently leases more than 1 million square feet across the city. It plans to hold 2 million square feet when the tower is completed. The company employs 13,000 workers - 4,000 of them in the city.

Along with the real estate deal, Salesforce also announced it plans to add 1,000 San Francisco jobs in the next year . . . .

Excavation at the site is now under way. When finished, Salesforce will occupy the lowest and highest floors in the building, as well as floors 3 to 30 . . . .

Under the current deal, there will be Salesforce signage, Hu said, but it will only be 100 feet above street level.

"Unfortunately," Hu said, "there will probably not be a giant cloud at the 61st floor."
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/S...of-5394954.php

It is now to be officially named the Salesforce Tower so maybe a little adjustment of the thread title is in order.

As for an observation deck, it seems odd that they are taking the first 30 floors and the top floor. Perhaps Mark Benioff wants a very grand office, but maybe they do plan the top floor for public space of some sort.

MarshallKnight, xXFallenXx liked this post

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; April 11th, 2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #1234
techniques1200s

Quote:

As for an observation deck, it seems odd that they are taking the first 30 floors and the top floor. Perhaps Mark Benioff wants a very grand office, but maybe they do plan the top floor for public space of some sort.
An observation deck would really be great. As for the new name....ehhh. "Salesforce tower" sounds kind of silly and generic (just like the company name!), and it'll always be the Transbay tower to me. Even plain old "415 Mission street" sounds better to my ears than "salesforce tower". Maybe they can change their company name to something more interesting

And I was kind of hoping this big "historic" announcement was something completely new, but it was just a confirmation of the already rumored increase to 600k or 700k sq. feet, plus the name change thing, and adding 1,000 new employees. It is nice to know 110% for sure that this thing is getting built, though I never really had any doubts about that once they broke ground.

Salesforce completely dominates that intersection now, with tons of office space in 50 Fremont, Transbay, and all of 350 Mission.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #1235
techniques1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
The crown on transbay is open air though. So I guess the true height to the roof of transbay would be 952'/290m to the top of the solid parapet section below the crown, or 970'/296m to the top of the mechanical penthouse (which extends past the parapet a bit), rather than 912'/278m.

Either way, I think architectural height makes way more sense than roof height when measuring the height of a building. It may produce kind of funny results for buildings with giant spires, but it makes more sense overall than choosing a relatively arbitrary "roof" that's well below the actual architectural height of a building. Transbay is a 1,070'/326m building, i don't really see the need to worry about roof heights.

And either way Wilshire Grand is taller, even if it may not look like it. It doesn't really matter anyways.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #1236
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
And either way Wilshire Grand is taller, even if it may not look like it. It doesn't really matter anyways.
Stop feeding the trolls! Who cares?

And perhaps you weren't here when, after months of work, they filled the foundation of 530 Mission with gravel. If you were, you might not have been so sure it was going to get built before they found a tenant. I think the current building boom is getting long in the tooth (as they say). If they had taken much longer, I would have begun to wonder if they might miss the cycle.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1237
techniques1200s

Quote:
Stop feeding the trolls! Who cares?
uh...."who cares" is exactly what I was saying, after clarifying some stuff in regards to roof height (which most of us are interested in here, seeing as we're all skyscraper nerds). How else can you interpret "it doesn't really matter anyways".

Quote:
And perhaps you weren't here when, after months of work, they filled the foundation of 530 Mission with gravel.
I'm aware of what happened to 535 mission (i've been following development in SF since 2005 or so), but I don't take one example from years ago when the economy was bad and then use it to determine the viability of every single office tower project in SF.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #1238
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
The crown on transbay is open air though. So I guess the true height to the roof of transbay would be 952'/290m to the top of the solid parapet section below the crown, or 970'/296m to the top of the mechanical penthouse (which extends past the parapet a bit), rather than 912'/278m.

Either way, I think architectural height makes way more sense than roof height when measuring the height of a building. It may produce kind of funny results for buildings with giant spires, but it makes more sense overall than choosing a relatively arbitrary "roof" that's well below the actual architectural height of a building. Transbay is a 1,070'/326m building, i don't really see the need to worry about roof heights.

I just made some research and I got quite puzzled. I found one render where the parapet is clearly open air:

And I also found a render where the parapet is clearly solid:

One of them has to be an old, abandonned version of the building, but I dunno which one? Could somebody who knows more about the history of this tower tell me which render is the accurate one?
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1239
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

The vertical "slits" on each side are a late addition, so the second photo should the more recent of the two.

Kanto liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #1240
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

@Kanto, the newer version is more solid and there is less open air space (ie a slightly higher roof)

Kanto liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower