daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #1281
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Billions in revenues and a 15 cent name.
like if there is a call center inside.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #1282
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21065

How many parking spaces are there on the garage.

As far as American skyscrapers go, it appears it will have only 3 underground parking floors, that ought to be way less than what I'd expect for a West Coast project.
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #1283
Suburbanist
on the road

Almost 7 years after these opinions were posted, do you think they still sway a lot of people living in SF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Age View Post
To me San Francisco belongs to the category city that is perfect the way it is now (granted, every city is allowed to modernize and grow but the overall aesthetics of a city should be preserved). If its trademark building, the Transamerica pyramid, is overshadowed with these new proposed buildings it would mark the end of an era (in the same way that the construction of the Gazprom building in St. Petersburg marks the end of an era). I would thus prefer these buildings to be built lower than the Transamerica building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
SF could really do without stupidly tall towers -- it's got enough towers as it is, and needn't screw its charm up with latest trash. Tower crap is so yesterday, t'is a long time since a tower was special.

Mplsuptown liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #1284
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Almost 7 years after these opinions were posted, do you think they still sway a lot of people living in SF?
There will always be people in SF with those kind of opinions, just like any other city.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #1285
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How many parking spaces are there on the garage.

As far as American skyscrapers go, it appears it will have only 3 underground parking floors, that ought to be way less than what I'd expect for a West Coast project.
If that's what you expect you don't understand San Francisco. This building is being put where it is--in the tallest zoning area in the entire city--precisely because this spot has about the best public transportation in the city: Right next to the TransBay Terminal, multiple bus lines, 2 subways (BART and Muni Metro) a block away. Nobody needs to drive to it and not many people will be able to . . . intentionally.

I don't know any other major city--maybe New York--that restricts the number of parking spaces in new residential buildings to about 1 for every 3 units--and bans deeded parking (selling the parking space with the unit). San Francisco does. The city does not want, and makes it as difficult as possible, for people to drive cars.

Tower Dude liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #1286
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10286

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
There will always be people in SF with those kind of opinions, just like any other city.
I still don't get what's so special about the Transamerica Pyramid. It looks like a second-rate tower you'd see in China. I'm all for the Salesforce Tower taking the #1 spot.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #1287
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Unfortunately there are a lot of people in SF that want to eat their cake and have it too. They don't want anything to be built but they also don't want land values to go up. They want things pretty, charming, unchanging and cheap. The reality is they can't have all that and their response is bizarre tantrums like those protests of the Google workers who dare live in their city driving up housing prices for those that stop anything from being built.

For the city to move forward those people must be marginalized and ignored.

Onnipotente liked this post
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #1288
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Age View Post
If its trademark building, the Transamerica pyramid, is overshadowed with these new proposed buildings it would mark the end of an era
That's funny, I thought that the Transamerica pyramid was the one that marked the end of an era... If I recall correctly, people really didn't like it at the time.

In my humble San Francisco-bred opinion, the Loma Prieta earthquake and subsequent Dot-Com boom were the two best things to ever happen to San Francisco's future. Being born less than a month after the quake, I perhaps harbor a bias in believing that the period of 1990 and onward represents San Francisco's finest era.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #1289
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Trust me--everybody I've ever met thinks their first 5 years of aware living in San Francisco (I put it that way because someone born here wouldn't know the difference for their first several years of existence) was the city's finest era and things only went downhill from there.

I wasn't in the city in the late 1960s or early 1970s when the TransAmerica and many other exiting downtown highrises were built, but given the number of them and the way they changed the skyline, I think right now--this year and the next 2--are the only comparable period in the city's history. I count about 16 300+ ft towers ether under construction or about to be. It is about doubling the apparent highrise downtown as it appears from out in the Bay. For all my previous life here people have been talking about "Manhattanization" as a bad thing but really it was a non-existent thing . . . until now.

The thing that makes San Francisco in any way comparable to New York--not really in size but in character--is its walkability. Like New York, the tall buildings are adjacent to each other or have infill buildings between them but not vacant land. Unlike much construction in Asia, the buildings do not sit in park-like settings and there soon will be almost no surface parking lots downtown. When walking, one has a continuous street wall, much of it retail or uses like restaurants. Which makes walking interesting and worthwhile as well as cramming a lot of services into compact neighborhoods.

The Salesforce Tower will be the tallest in the city for sometime because there is no other lot currently zoned for anything taller than 800 ft. It will have 2 800 ft'ers within a block of it as well a several 600 ft'ers nearby.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #1290
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
Unfortunately there are a lot of people in SF that want to eat their cake and have it too. They don't want anything to be built but they also don't want land values to go up. They want things pretty, charming, unchanging and cheap. The reality is they can't have all that and their response is bizarre tantrums like those protests of the Google workers who dare live in their city driving up housing prices for those that stop anything from being built.

For the city to move forward those people must be marginalized and ignored.
Those are different groups. It is mostly an "I've got mine and I'm not interested in your problems" viewpoint. The people in rent-controlled apartments like most of the protesters only care about not being evicted and being forced into the market-rate rental market. They don't care about what newcomers and others have to pay.
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #1291
Suburbanist
on the road

There are also people who oppose new development because they don't like the overstated "tech invasion" of SF, and think if they only keep new office construction down, techies won't take over "their" neighborhood, right?
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #1292
Enigmatism415

"Tech" is a part of us, and has been (to varying degrees) since the end of World War II. Where were these protestors in the late 1990s when Sony's Metreon–the city's grandest and most unapologetic monument to technology–was being built?

In any case, the completed Transbay neighborhood will mark the next era of America's loveliest metropolis.
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #1293
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
"Tech" is a part of us, and has been (to varying degrees) since the end of World War II. Where were these protestors in the late 1990s when Sony's Metreon–the city's grandest and most unapologetic monument to technology–was being built?

In any case, the completed Transbay neighborhood will mark the next era of America's loveliest metropolis.
Were you around then? Sony had a modest sized store on the ground floor (which it shared with restaurants mostly). The largest space in the building was and still is a movie multiplex. The top floor was a silly kiddie fun palace dedicated to "Where the Wild Things Are". Don't know why you associate it with tech.
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #1294
Enigmatism415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
Were you around then? Sony had a modest sized store on the ground floor (which it shared with restaurants mostly). The largest space in the building was and still is a movie multiplex. The top floor was a silly kiddie fun palace dedicated to "Where the Wild Things Are". Don't know why you associate it with tech.
I was there on opening day, actually (as a ten-year-old kid, it was mind-blowing). Until the Metreon opened, most of the cool new Dot-Com-bolstered tech spectacles were down in the Silicon Valley, and I was delighted when a new one opened in my own hometown. It had a Sony-Style Store, Playstation Store, Microsoft Store, Discovery-Channel Store, Airtight Garage Arcade, and an exhibit for "The Way Things Work" (how much more tech-inspired can you get, right?); of course, the IMAX cinema was the main attraction, as you've mentioned. The "Where the Wild Things Are" exhibit was more for the youngest children, I believe. Of course, we all know the sad fate of the Metreon, but it could have been worse (they could have demolished this piece of San Francisco history).

I don't mean to get off-topic, it's just nice to revisit those times. In any case, the story of the Metreon only strengthens the case that the tech-crowd in San Francisco is certainly not a new phenomenon. A little film called The Net (1995)–featuring Sandra Bullock–is a great (and terrible) movie to watch about this.
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #1295
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

No Observation Deck is a huge mistake ...

FM 2258 liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:47 AM   #1296
Enigmatism415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
No Observation Deck is a huge mistake ...
I second that. What the hell?

I also wish that they had kept the original height of 1,200 feet.
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #1297
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Can't get over "salesforce"
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #1298
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3459

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Can't get over "salesforce"
Would they put this logo at the top of the building?

Eric Offereins liked this post
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #1299
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Here's the quote from SFGate:

Quote:
Under the current deal, there will be Salesforce signage, Hu said, but it will only be 100 feet above street level.

"Unfortunately," Hu said, "there will probably not be a giant cloud at the 61st floor."
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #1300
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

That logo looks like it was made with CorelDRAW 1.0
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower