daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #1401
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13256

@SFBIZRoland
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #1402
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

For those not familiar with the project, the above photo shows 2 distinct but related and ultimately connected projects: The Salesforce (originally TransBay) Tower and the TransBay Terminal project. The relationship is that government (city, state, federal) is building the new transit terminal, in order to fund which it sold the adjacent lot to private developers (originally Hines, now Hines and Boston Properties) who are building the tower. But tower and terminal were designed simultaneously and will be physically connected when complete.

In this photo, one can see the 2 distinct foundations, the square lower (and deeper) area being for the tower and the rectangular area (which extends well beyond the frame of the photo on each side--it is 3 blocks long and this shows only the central block portion) being for the terminal.
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #1403
Yackemflaber68

Likes (Received): 180

Did it bottom out?
Yackemflaber68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:14 AM   #1404
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

Kinda surprised this is moving so slow, with the economy on fire in SF this one is kinda dragging along. Still not really u/c despite cassions.
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #1405
CityTrip

Likes (Received): 40

From the above photo it looks like it's 35 to 40 feet deep. Not sure if it has bottomed out yet but if it hasn't, it's gotta be close.
CityTrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:42 AM   #1406
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Kinda surprised this is moving so slow, with the economy on fire in SF this one is kinda dragging along. Still not really u/c despite cassions.
For the umpteenth time, the developer was unwilling to proceed with one of the largest projects ever in San Francisco on spec. Now that an anchor tenant--one who wants to occupy the building ASAP--is signed, it is moving right along. It will be completed on schedule in 2017.
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:49 AM   #1407
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTrip View Post
From the above photo it looks like it's 35 to 40 feet deep. Not sure if it has bottomed out yet but if it hasn't, it's gotta be close.
We are only guessing but I'm comparing to my recollection of the hole for the shorter Millenium Tower which was about twice as deep as this appears so I'd say they have a ways to go. But the footprint is actually pretty small so it should go quickly.

By the way, to those comparing progress to the Wilshire Grand, this project is on fill--ground potentially subject to liquifaction. Like with 181 Fremont, the bedrock is down over 200 ft and the caissons had to go down that far.
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #1408
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
For the umpteenth time, the developer was unwilling to proceed with one of the largest projects ever in San Francisco on spec. Now that an anchor tenant--one who wants to occupy the building ASAP--is signed, it is moving right along. It will be completed on schedule in 2017.
A company like "Salesforce" doesn't sound like it'll last past 2015 to be honest.

Miami High Rise liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #1409
nsring

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
A company like "Salesforce" doesn't sound like it'll last past 2015 to be honest.
I take it you have no idea what salesforce is then.

MarshallKnight, Indica, storms991 liked this post
nsring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #1410
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Salesforce is da shit... Go look it up..

I used to work at Symantec, and they used Salesforce for their subsidiary, Liveoffice in Torrance. Many other companies use this CRM solution as well, and it can be adapted to any company for use of customer and sales support, IT support (makes a great trouble ticket interface for helpdesk). When I used Salesforce, I was a tier 3 Hosted Exchange environment tech, and it worked great. We used the same interface to interact with the programmers/engineers, sales, domain transfers, and many others. It all runs from the cloud, so there is no extra load on your company servers and its extremely redundant. During the time I worked there, we had a couple outages in our hosted exchange environment, but Salesforce never went down the whole time I was there.

Salesforce was named (and may still be) the best company to work for in the country. Trust me, ANY of you would want to work at this place!! Great pay and benefits, perks galore that are comparable to, if not better than what Google offers their long-term employees.

MarshallKnight, Kanto liked this post
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #1411
Indica
Top of the World

Quote:
We are only guessing but I'm comparing to my recollection of the hole for the shorter Millenium Tower which was about twice as deep as this appears so I'd say they have a ways to go. But the footprint is actually pretty small so it should go quickly.

By the way, to those comparing progress to the Wilshire Grand, this project is on fill--ground potentially subject to liquifaction. Like with 181 Fremont, the bedrock is down over 200 ft and the caissons had to go down that far.
The whole area is on land fill where this beauty is being built. It will take extra time for them to prep the foundations, since they have to dig deep, and drill down real deep to construct caissons that will anchor down real good into the bedrock there.

WG is being built in downtown LA, and while the whole LA basin is subjected (in most areas) to some form of liquefaction, this spot in LA where WG sits, is actually a very solid spot. The problem, is that the Puente Hills thrust fault (a very bad kind) runs directly under DTLA and its due to snap a 7.5 quake minimum - its actually viewed as a possible larger threat than the San Andreas which at its closest is still over 50 miles away, as the crow flies.

Landfill is not the best place to be in a quake unless you have a REALLY good foundation. The area I live in, within Marina del Rey, is almost entirely made out of landfill, and to make matters worse we have over 100 capped oil wells in the area. The area is nice and very expensive here, but its crazy how most people here around me have no clue that just over 100 years ago, this entire area I live in was ALL ocean! Whenever we get quakes, it always shakes EXTRA hard over here - sand (landfill in general) amplifies the shaking drastically, and there is extra anxiety because of the liquefaction. Even without a quake, I have watched sinkholes open up randomly (some over 25 feet deep and 20 in diameter) in my neighborhood usually on the street in front of the very expensive homes and the homes are untouched because they sit on a very stout foundation. When that happens, I can vouch that I have never seen the city of LA rush out to fix to anything so fast in my life!!

DTSF, is basically the same thing as Marina del Rey where I live, except there is a large chunk of a major city sitting on top of that.

Down here in Southern California, we are expecting another quake soon - Northridge in 94 was actually a 7.1, though it was rated at 6.9 than a 6.7 later on, but that was due to weird federal FEMA laws. My friends father worked for Caltech, and verified that it was "covered up" and told me that the "hint" was to look at the Mercali scale (from 1-12), and Northridge was between 9-10 in some areas, which matches normally with a quake between a 7 and 8 magnitude on the richter scale. I almost directly on top of the Landers quake in 92, and at a 7.5 it was very large and just under 2 minutes long close to the epicenter, and while it was bigger than Northridge in size, the Northridge quake had a very intense up and down shake (at an angle) which is a thrust fault I believe. There was a 6.5 in 1971, very close to the Northridge fault, but the intensity was 3.5-4 times greater with this "supposed" 6.7 bullshit quake in 1994. There was a FEMA law in place at the time, where if a quake was larger than 7.2, FEMA would not have been able to help which would have caused a lot of extra hurt with the economy because it was the costliest natural disaster to hit the US at that point in 1994. Southern CA alone accounted for the 5th largest economy in the world at that point, so they had everything to lose by "not covering up" the way they did.

I never got verification on this, but I heard that the same thing was done in SF over their last major quake as well, which hit during the world series - Ill never forget that watching the stadium shake on TV, and people watching the game were panicking and running around like ants. Later on, it was said by officials that if the quake had hit an hour before, or an hour after the game, the death toll would have been a LOT higher!

My question is, have they placed a "number" on this building, as far as the maximum-sized quake this can hold up to? US Bank tower in DTLA is supposedly built to withstand up to 8.5 San Andreas quake (which could shake for up to 3 mins). The new WG is very stout with 4 foot thick core walls at the bottom, but its very slender so they had to do many studies with this tower. They never officially put a "number" on the WG like US Bank, but in their studies they ran the building through a 7.8 on a simulator and used this as a base point. I have always been curious as to how they make this kind of call, and how this new Salesforce tower will compare as far as structural strength goes.

Kanto, Miami High Rise liked this post
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #1412
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
I am counting from when they went full steam, look at other projects of similar scale like Comcast and see what I mean by this is dragging. I would expect some delay because its a more complex site than Comcast, but still. I think date in 2017 for occupancy is pushing reality a bit.

The basement work takes a while...in this case it won't be at ground level until late summer at best, then one floor a week skyward. Then glazing, and outfitting the interior. I don't think it will be occupied at any date in 2017. Just my observation and opinion.
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #1413
CityTrip

Likes (Received): 40

Thanks Cal Escapee for that tidbit of info. Hasn't the caisson work already been done? I thought that is what they were doing last year there!
CityTrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #1414
Indica
Top of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I am counting from when they went full steam, look at other projects of similar scale like Comcast and see what I mean by this is dragging. I would expect some delay because its a more complex site than Comcast, but still. I think date in 2017 for occupancy is pushing reality a bit.

The basement work takes a while...in this case it won't be at ground level until late summer at best, then one floor a week skyward. Then glazing, and outfitting the interior. I don't think it will be occupied at any date in 2017. Just my observation and opinion.
I agree - WG is projected to be done in late 2017, but that is already over 350' tall currently, so it has a hell of a head start. At best, this SF tower should be 2018 if they start jumping forward with the foundation. I imagine that the caissons with this beauty, are going to not just be deep, but very stout since this tower is going to be a "biggy" and they have to pay extra attention to everything because its seismically active here in all parts of CA.

One question for everyone (forgive me if its already listed in the previous posts), but what will be the top occupied level, and how high up is it supposed to be? I am not the only "roof height crusader" here.

Kanto liked this post
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #1415
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
It's the premier company in customer relations management, growing at 30% per year (compared to chief competitor Oracle's single digit growth). It is widely considered one of the blue chip cloud computing companies. Current market capitalization is $43 billion as compared to, say General Motors which is $62 billion. It will be around a long time.

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; March 18th, 2015 at 09:59 AM.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #1416
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTrip View Post
Thanks Cal Escapee for that tidbit of info. Hasn't the caisson work already been done? I thought that is what they were doing last year there!
Yes. Caisson work is now done, I'd estimate the digging is about half done and will probably be completed by summer. I've said earlier I think this is about 6 months behind 181 Fremont which is supposed to be finished in late 2016. That building is just about to rise above the ground so I think this one will late this year. From there it will have about 18 months--until mid 2017--to top out. Whether they will occupy it by the end of the year or very early in 2018 I can't say but it will appear completed by the end of 2017 as will its companion terminal.

This has been a very complex project from the beginning because of the need to coordinate government and private development as well as the preliminary work in the terminal portion for the tunneling of the train tracks (for CalTrain commuter service initially, later possibly CA HSR)--much more complex than just putting up the highrise itself.

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; March 18th, 2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #1417
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
it was said by officials that if the quake had hit an hour before, or an hour after the game, the death toll would have been a LOT higher!
It might well have included me. The earthquake occurred at 5:04 PM. I normally left work on Treasure Island and crossed the Bay Bridge around 5 PM however that day I left early to be home when the game was scheduled to start at 5PM.

This pretty much tells the story for anyone not knowing it:

Indica liked this post

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; March 18th, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #1418
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13256

@vforta
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 06:21 AM   #1419
Indica
Top of the World

Quote:
It might well have included me. The earthquake occurred at 5:04 PM. I normally left work on Treasure Island and crossed the Bay Bridge around 5 PM however that day I left early to be home when the game was scheduled to start at 5PM.

This pretty much tells the story for anyone not knowing it:

I remember this one vividly - Got home one evening and turned on the TV, and saw this unfolding. I was only 9 at the time, but I remember we did feel it in LA, but we just thought it was a normal shaker like we usually get.

Its a good thing you left early that day! Best case scenario, you would have been stuck on that bridge for a while. I always wondered how they cleared the bridge. Was it by turning everyone around?
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:46 AM   #1420
SpeedoPro

Likes (Received): 21

Looks like this project was announced in 2006. Why so little progress?
SpeedoPro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower