daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #1461
Malm

Likes (Received): 155

I like where SF is heading!

jchernin liked this post
Malm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:42 AM   #1462
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Its crazy how much taller SF is getting, it wasn't too long ago that it had a rather low amount of skyscrapers for its population, that is changing fast.
You do realize the population is a "mere" 800,000 don't you and that just in the Bay Area San Jose has more people?

For a city of 800,000, I think it may have the most impressive skyline on the planet.
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #1463
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Meanwhile, might those who hate the name "Salesforce Tower" be about to get satisfaction? Would "Microsoft Tower" please you more?

Quote:
Salesforce receives takeover inquiry, hires investment bankers, report says
Apr 29, 2015, 12:20pm PDT UPDATED: Apr 29, 2015, 1:04pm PDT
Patrick Hoge
Reporter-San Francisco Business Times

Salesforce.com is working with financial advisers to help it field takeover offers after being approached by a potential acquirer, according to Bloomberg, which cited unnamed sources "with knowledge of the matter."

Shares of Salesforce (NYSE:CRM) leaped 12.7 percent to record high $75.38 on the New York Stock Exchange in late afternoon trading minutes before the closing bell.

The identity of the potential acquirer wasn't revealed to Bloomberg, and there was no certainty a deal would happen, Bloomberg said.

Contacted via email, Salesforce co-founder and CEO Marc Benioff declined to comment . . . .

Founded in 1999, Salesforce, the largest tech employer in San Francisco, has a market value of nearly $50 billion, which means it would be the largest software company ever purchased.

Big Salesforce rivals include Oracle Corp., Microsoft Corp. and SAP all of which trail Salesforce in market share for customer relationship management technologies . . . .
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...nkers-crm.html
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #1464
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I don't mind "Salesforce Tower" but "Microsoft Tower"... nah not into it.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #1465
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
4 companies that could buy Salesforce
Apr 29, 2015, 2:46pm PDT UPDATED: Apr 29, 2015, 6:22pm PDT
Patrick Chu
Editor-in-Chief-San Francisco Business Times

(Salesforce founder and CEO Marc) Benioff on Wednesday attended Microsoft’s Build conference in San Francisco and tweeted photos and positive commentary about the progress the two companies had made on services arising from an alliance they announced last year.The partnership connects Salesforce's customer management applications with Microsoft's Office and Windows.

The cloud is clearly where Microsoft is investing for the future of its business, so it could grow its offerings by acquiring a company it's already working with. Salesforce has 16,000 employees, so Microsoft would be acquiring an army of cloud coders.

Nadella and Benioff highlighted just how well the two companies compliment each other when they met to pose for photo ops during the partnership announcement last May.

"The reason that these relationships work is because Microsoft’s core strategy is Windows and Office, that’s where the revenue comes from," Benioff said back then. "And Salesforce’s core strategy is our CRM apps. That’s where our revenue comes from. And we both want to grow our revenues, so we know that we need to be investing in our core and in our strategies."

It would make the most sense for Oracle (NYSE: ORCL) to buy Salesforce, Samad Samana, a research analyst with FBR Capital Markets in New York, told CNBC. Oracle would then establish itself as the leader in cloud computing, helping to fend off attacks from upstart companies like Workday . . . .

Samana said a buyer would have to pay at least a 20 to 25 percent premium on Salesforce’s stock price.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

The other 2: SAP and IBM

Indica liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #1466
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
You do realize the population is a "mere" 800,000 don't you and that just in the Bay Area San Jose has more people?

For a city of 800,000, I think it may have the most impressive skyline on the planet.
SF has a really good skyline for its size, but there are certainly others with equally (or more) impressive skylines that are smaller in population: Vancouver, Seattle, Miami…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I don't mind "Salesforce Tower" but "Microsoft Tower"... nah not into it.
I doubt they'd change the Salesforce branding even if they're taken over, so we'd probably keep the "Salesforce Tower" name.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #1467
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
SF has a really good skyline for its size, but there are certainly others with equally (or more) impressive skylines that are smaller in population: Vancouver, Seattle, Miami…
You aren't luring me into a "versus" argument but the only one of those 3 I see as any competion for SF is Miami and because I hate such debates I won't even say why I think as I do. It's pure opinion as is your judgement so niether of us is changing our mind. Enough on the subject.

Quote:
I doubt they'd change the Salesforce branding even if they're taken over, so we'd probably keep the "Salesforce Tower" name.
You evidently don't know Larry Ellison. He hates any competitor and right now he is especially nasty about Benioff. He has acquired multiple competitors and none of their names survived--even Sun Microsystems which was hardware mainly, not software like Oracle --so there is no reason to think Salesforce would. Microsoft and Salesforce are on more friendly terms because they presently don't compete directly. They might keep the name. I doubt IBM would and I have no idea about the German tradition in such matters if the buyer were SAP.

Mplsuptown liked this post
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #1468
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
they are going to buy, not rent the space???

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Zaz965 liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #1469
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
You aren't luring me into a "versus" argument but the only one of those 3 I see as any competion for SF is Miami and because I hate such debates I won't even say why I think as I do. It's pure opinion as is your judgement so niether of us is changing our mind. Enough on the subject.

You evidently don't know Larry Ellison. He hates any competitor and right now he is especially nasty about Benioff. He has acquired multiple competitors and none of their names survived--even Sun Microsystems which was hardware mainly, not software like Oracle --so there is no reason to think Salesforce would. Microsoft and Salesforce are on more friendly terms because they presently don't compete directly. They might keep the name. I doubt IBM would and I have no idea about the German tradition in such matters if the buyer were SAP.

Microsoft would probably rebrand it to Azure, which is their existing cloud service brand.

Azure Tower has a good ring to it...

Kanto liked this post
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #1470
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Microsoft would probably rebrand it to Azure, which is their existing cloud service brand.

Azure Tower has a good ring to it...
Especially if they gave it that color.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #1471
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
they are going to buy, not rent the space???
I'm not sure what you mean but here's the situation: Salesforce has created a "campus" at the intersection of Fremont & Mission streets. They have rented ALL of the new 30-floor tower under construction on the northeast corner. They have rented about half of the available space in the Salesforce Tower on the southwest corner and they have BOUGHT 50 Fremont St, a 43-floor tower on the northwest corner. The southeast corner is a 60 (approx) floor condo building called the Millennium Tower.

50 Fremont St.

"50 Fremont" by Eric in SF - Own work. Licensed under GFDL via Wikimedia Commons

The Salesforce Tower supertall is being built and will be owned by a consortium of Boston Properties (majority owner) and Hines. I expect Hines to eventually bow out although they originally made the deal with the the city.

MarshallKnight, Kanto liked this post
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #1472
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Wow I never realized that about Salesforce consolidating their office space around that intersection. Kind of a wonder they aren't trying to connect all of those buildings via skybridge, but thank god they aren't.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #1473
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Today's development:

Quote:
Salesforce.com Halted - Microsoft Reportedly Mulling Bid: Bloomberg
BY Midnight Trader
— 3:02 PM ET 05/05/2015
03:02 PM EDT, 05/05/2015 (MT Newswires) --
Price: 74.59, Change: +2.99, Percent Change: +4.18
https://eresearch.fidelity.com/erese...=USEQUITY&sb=1

Quote:
Salesforce.com Resumes Trade - up 5% on Reports of Potential Microsoft Bid
BY Midnight Trader
— 3:04 PM ET 05/05/2015
03:04 PM EDT, 05/05/2015 (MT Newswires) --
Price: 75.01, Change: +3.41, Percent Change: +4.76
https://eresearch.fidelity.com/erese...=USEQUITY&sb=1
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #1474
perxper

Likes (Received): 1

wow!!!
perxper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #1475
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

What this has to do with the actual building, I have no idea ..
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #1476
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
What this has to do with the actual building, I have no idea ..

If the merger goes through will the construction be suspended, or will Microsoft rename or want to redesign the tower entirely? That's what this has to do with it.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Kanto liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #1477
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I think the current design is awesome, though I would love to see a 100 meter height increase
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #1478
Mauricio Reis

Likes (Received): 28

Mauricio Reis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #1479
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I think the current design is awesome, though I would love to see a 100 meter height increase
You are dreaming. A hundred meter height increase? This is SF- you'll be lucky if we don't see a hundred meter height decrease.
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:57 AM   #1480
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
You are dreaming. A hundred meter height increase? This is SF- you'll be lucky if we don't see a hundred meter height decrease.
I don't think the height will be decreased too much (or at all) since they want the tallest in the city.

A bump back to the original 1200' would sure be nice.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower