daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2015, 05:53 AM   #1481
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
If the merger goes through will the construction be suspended, or will Microsoft rename or want to redesign the tower entirely? That's what this has to do with it.
Salesforce is not building the tower but they have what I'm sure is a binding lease. Boston Properties and Hines are the joint developers (Boston Props is the lead and in the driver's seat). Salesforce has leased half the space and I'm sure that's solid because Boston Props said a year ago they wouldn't proceed with above ground construction until they had signed a lead tenant: Salesforce.

Should everything I'm about to say be wrong and Salesforce as a subsidiary not want the space, legally I think they'd have to continue to pay for it, with or without a subtenant or find Boston Props a replacement tenant. Actually, office space is in such demand in San Francisco right now that that might be possible.

So I don't see this as influencing construction but it's a fair question and the fact that it is fair is the answer to Riley1066's question (whether or not he meant it as Socratic): It has to do with whether or not a merger/takeover of Salesforce would or would not affect construction.

My guess--certainly only a guess--is that if MSFT buys Salesforce they would leave the activities of the company in San Francisco as an independent subsidiary. They might even retain the name. At the very least, it would make very few (only the top administrative staff) of the employees redundant, so unless MSFT has millions of unoccupied square feet in Seattle and for some reason thinks Salesforce's thousands of workers would want to pack up en masse and move, I think they would still need the space where it is including this tower (except maybe for the CEO suite on the top floor ).

Kanto liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #1482
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I think the current design is awesome, though I would love to see a 100 meter height increase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
You are dreaming. A hundred meter height increase? This is SF- you'll be lucky if we don't see a hundred meter height decrease.
The height is entirely under the control of the city and its Planning Dept. The building was actually originally designed to be 200 feet taller: 1200 ft. But San Francisco, once called "the cool gray city of love", tends to be cold and foggy on and off during the summer so sun on its open spaces is carefully guarded (and always a factor in the design of new buildings). At 1200 ft., this tower would have cast shadows on a major park (Union Square) during a short period and that meant it had to be shortened.

As it happened, the zoning, including height limits, for the entire TransBay area was redone and, for the most part, increased. I believe this site was previously zoned at 760 ft. But 1200 ft. was just not to be.

Kanto liked this post
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #1483
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I don't think the height will be decreased too much (or at all) since they want the tallest in the city.

A bump back to the original 1200' would sure be nice.
I am 99.9% certain the design is set and construction is proceeding normally.

Yesterday (you can't see much except from above right now):

ploppalopp, Kirgam, Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:39 AM   #1484
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
I am 99.9% certain the design is set and construction is proceeding normally.

Yea probably, it'll be a great addition to the city as is
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #1485
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 522

Maybe if Salesforce the company gets sold, that vanity top floor office for the Salesforce CEO will revert to a more logical observation deck instead.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #1486
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Well thanks for the breakdown on who owns the tower, who, building it who's paying for it and how the merger might effect the tower!! Well said!!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #1487
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6900

Quote:
Salesforce is not building the tower but they have what I'm sure is a binding lease. Boston Properties and Hines are the joint developers (Boston Props is the lead and in the driver's seat). Salesforce has leased half the space and I'm sure that's solid because Boston Props said a year ago they wouldn't proceed with above ground construction until they had signed a lead tenant: Salesforce.

Should everything I'm about to say be wrong and Salesforce as a subsidiary not want the space, legally I think they'd have to continue to pay for it, with or without a subtenant or find Boston Props a replacement tenant. Actually, office space is in such demand in San Francisco right now that that might be possible.

So I don't see this as influencing construction but it's a fair question and the fact that it is fair is the answer to Riley1066's question (whether or not he meant it as Socratic): It has to do with whether or not a merger/takeover of Salesforce would or would not affect construction.

My guess--certainly only a guess--is that if MSFT buys Salesforce they would leave the activities of the company in San Francisco as an independent subsidiary. They might even retain the name. At the very least, it would make very few (only the top administrative staff) of the employees redundant, so unless MSFT has millions of unoccupied square feet in Seattle and for some reason thinks Salesforce's thousands of workers would want to pack up en masse and move, I think they would still need the space where it is including this tower (except maybe for the CEO suite on the top floor ).
The lease is most definitely binding except in some ridiculous act-of-God-like instance. To land an anchor tenant for this, though, Boston Properties probably gave them a really good deal relative to market conditions since they're likely asking around $125 per square foot for the remaining space at the moment, so the financial fallout if they didn't want the space won't be as severe as it would be otherwise, or they'd just put it on the sublease market.

However, the really high rents make me wonder about what other occupiers would even be able to afford the space considering the market average is around $65; you'd have to be a massive tech, law or financial tenant. With 181 Fremont not landing a tenant as of yet and Park Tower probably starting soon, there's probably going to be a slowdown or plateau in rents soon enough.

Last edited by geoking66; May 7th, 2015 at 12:13 AM.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #1488
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Maybe if Salesforce the company gets sold, that vanity top floor office for the Salesforce CEO will revert to a more logical observation deck instead.
Well, if I were a developer building a new tallest in my home city, I would not only make the top floor my office, I would make it my penthouse and live and work there for the rest of my life ........ that is, if I wouldn't build an even taller building next door one day, LOL

Mplsuptown liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #1489
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6367

Quote:
For a city of 800,000, I think it may have the most impressive skyline on the planet.
Panama City and Doha have 800,000 inhabitants as well...
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #1490
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Well, if I were a developer building a new tallest in my home city, I would not only make the top floor my office, I would make it my penthouse and live and work there for the rest of my life ........ that is, if I wouldn't build an even taller building next door one day, LOL
Observation Decks probably make more money though.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #1491
SkyLinePana
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
more likely an ultra exclusive coke bar or something.
SkyLinePana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #1492
SkyLinePana
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
doha
SkyLinePana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #1493
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Microsoft not interested in Salesforce takeover
May 8, 2015, 6:54am PDT
Jahna Berry
Managing Editor, Digital-San Francisco Business Times

Software behemoth Microsoft is not interested in buying San Francisco-based Salesforce.com, according to Reuters . . . .
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...P&t=1431108519

Unless IBM or SAP are interested, the top floor will likely remain Benioff's office.
Old May 12th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #1494
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Latest screen grab of "the hole" from the construction cam:

ploppalopp, Kirgam, mafd12, gaab1972 liked this post
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #1495
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13266

May, 7th

@m_mcbrien
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #1496
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLinePana View Post
doha
It actually does have 800,000 inhabitants though...what's with the facepalm?

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #1497
PinPeat

Likes (Received): 184585

May 8, 2015

Salesforce Tower Site by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

Salesforce Tower Site by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

WilliamsP, Munwon, mafd12, nsring, gaab1972 and 5 others liked this post
PinPeat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #1498
nsring

Likes (Received): 128

Any updates to the tower? Have they bottomed out yet?

Wrocer, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
nsring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:35 AM   #1499
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
San Francisco's metro population is much, much higher than either of those cities so they're not really comparable. It makes more sense to compare metro populations.
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #1500
Wrocer
super&megatalls fan

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsring View Post
Any updates to the tower? Have they bottomed out yet?
I've found only on-line cam view, but I can't even see any crane on the construction site
http://www.salesforcetower.com/cam/
Nawiązując do niesprawiedliwych i dziwacznych interpretacji mojej aktywności na forum pragnę zapewnić wszystkich zainteresowanych, że pisuję tu nie na złość komukolwiek, a mój głos w dyskusji wynika z zainteresowania inwestycjami głównie we Wrocławiu, a także z chęci pozyskania i przekazania informacji/opinii z postępów inwestycji w licznych interesujących mnie wątkach i nie ma to nic wspólnego ze spamowaniem/trollowaniem, jak to niektórzy próbują mi zarzucić. Jeżeli ktoś nie toleruje poglądów innych (moich), naprawdę nie musi czytać moich postów.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Wrocer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower