daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #1881
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13245

@jowyang
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #1882
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels123 View Post
Unfortunately, that unique shape reminds me of nothing so much as a sandworm from Dune:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click
Old May 12th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #1883
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 481

I hope the sandworm tower eats a few NIMBYs
Old May 13th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #1884
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

When I compare the speed with which they are building this tower to others in the US, it seems to be 30 to 40% faster with maybe the exemption of Wilshire Grand in LA. Is there an expert on this forum who can explain why?
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 03:49 AM   #1885
velciane

Likes (Received): 729

I have to laugh - it wasn't like 6 months ago that everyone complained how slow this building was going up.

DeaconG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
velciane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #1886
potipoti
El de los aurones

yesterday

@@HinzeBruce
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #1887
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by velciane View Post
I have to laugh - it wasn't like 6 months ago that everyone complained how slow this building was going up.
Less than 6 months ago--more like 3 or 4 months. And as I explained then--several times--this building is like an iceberg. It extends 300 ft underground just as it will rise 1070 ft above ground. In addition to multiple basement levels and a massively thick reinforced concrete pad, it has reinforced concrete piers poured (not driven) down to bedrock 300 ft below. As is usual for exceptionally tall buildings in SF, roughly half the construction time was EXPECTED to be spent on the work below ground level, but we are past that now. In terms of time, the construction is about ¾ complete (2013 - 2017).
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #1888
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbnca View Post
When I compare the speed with which they are building this tower to others in the US, it seems to be 30 to 40% faster with maybe the exemption of Wilshire Grand in LA. Is there an expert on this forum who can explain why?
Not if you start from when construction began (2013) and take into consideration the below ground work (see above). Above ground it is rising rapidly because the design seems to be a massive concrete core with the rest of the building relatively lightly constructed and suspended from the core. And the forms for the core are movable--pour 2 floors, raise the forms, pour the next 2. What I am looking for is whether the core rebar is pre-fabricated to any degree. It seems that would be fairly easy to do since since each floor is like the ones above and below.

cnbnca, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #1889
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21065

How many underground parking floor will there be, and, roughly, how many cars will they be able to take?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #1890
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
For all it's below grade foundational depth, how many occupiable basement levels will it have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How many underground parking floor will there be, and, roughly, how many cars will they be able to take?
Not to ask dumb questions, but it can be harder to find this info even if it already exists among the tens or hundreds of pages, and I have it set to 40 posts per page.

Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #1891
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Not so hard: 3 garage levels:

http://i.imgur.com/9z21JJQ.jpg

I'm not sure how many parking spaces there will be but I expect it's remarkably few. San Francisco does not encourage parking in either residential or commercial structures these days, especially when they are located somewhere as transit dense as this will be. And the floor plate square footage is not large so 3 parking levels really won't have room for a tremendous number of cars.

Personally, I'm more interested in what's going to be behind the rooftop screen (if anything). The original design specs called for wind turbines but I believe that's been abandoned.
Old May 17th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #1892
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

They appear to be working on the rebar for the 20th floor of the core and the 15th floor steel framing today.

From construction cam

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; May 17th, 2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #1893
cnbnca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
Not if you start from when construction began (2013) and take into consideration the below ground work (see above). Above ground it is rising rapidly because the design seems to be a massive concrete core with the rest of the building relatively lightly constructed and suspended from the core. And the forms for the core are movable--pour 2 floors, raise the forms, pour the next 2. What I am looking for is whether the core rebar is pre-fabricated to any degree. It seems that would be fairly easy to do since since each floor is like the ones above and below.
Thank you for this explanation!

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #1894
cnbnca

Quote:

Not so hard: 3 garage levels:

http://i.imgur.com/9z21JJQ.jpg

I'm not sure how many parking spaces there will be but I expect it's remarkably few. San Francisco does not encourage parking in either residential or commercial structures these days, especially when they are located somewhere as transit dense as this will be. And the floor plate square footage is not large so 3 parking levels really won't have room for a tremendous number of cars.

Personally, I'm more interested in what's going to be behind the rooftop screen (if anything). The original design specs called for wind turbines but I believe that's been abandoned.
When you work in the Salesforce tower and live in the new Fremont tower across the street, you don't need a car

spidey7312, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #1895
SoCal Alan

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
I believe the forms are for one floor at a time. Each time the forms are raised, they are raised one floor at a time. Early on, you could see the concrete being distributed (from inside the forms) in sync with the inner and outer forms movement.
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #1896
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
When you work in the Salesforce tower and live in the new Fremont tower across the street, you don't need a car
Actually, in that case you could walk to work through the terminal rooftop park and never have to go down to street level since both towers will have a bridge to the park.

Meanwhile, Salesforce posted something like 30% year over year revenue growth for this quarter today and Wall Street is cheering tonight with the stock up something like 8%. Wonder how much that represents to mark Benioff's net worth.

Salesforce now has a nice "campus" owning one and leasing 2 other buildings (including this one) on the 4 corners of the Mission/Fremont intersection. Benioff said that's what his employees wanted--to be "downtown" rather than in Mission Bay where the company had bought land intending to build a campus.

And one more thing (as Steve jobs used to say): I walked down to the site today and was awed by how dense it now feels. The 1st/Mission intersection is more than New York dense (I say "more" because I think the streets are narrower than New York's avenues and you feel more overwhelmed by the building canyon). Assuming the Oceanwide Center gets built on the remaining corner of 1st/Mission, it will be a remarkable place for urbanophiles.

cnbnca, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; May 19th, 2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:58 PM   #1897
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
It would be idd nice if everyone would think like that. Less cars all around

Amecurty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #1898
potipoti
El de los aurones

@delightwithme

@putzmanj
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:36 AM   #1899
Otto Diesel

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by potipoti View Post
@delightwithme

@putzmanj
thats actually a massive core. do you know how much floorspace there will be?

Otto Diesel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 01:46 PM   #1900
potipoti
El de los aurones

14 floors

@gamoid

SalesForce Tower of Power by Andrew W, en Flickr

Tags
salesforce tower, salesforce.com, san francisco, supertall, transbay, transbay tower