daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #2181
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Either it isn't at Tarragona, is it?

By the way, how is that station building going on?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2182
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15481

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Either it isn't at Tarragona, is it?

By the way, how is that station building going on?
I´ve just answered that, the line just on top of these two of yours, the last on my post...
Old January 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #2183
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2598

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Compared to France, I think we can also say that the difference of gauge has played its role, although this will decrease, then stop in years to come, as the classic network will progressively be converted to standard gauge (and probably important parts of the metric gauge network too).
Well I think that despite gauge difference Spain model for HSL is better and if Spain would have unique gauge this would be seen right now.

Quote:
And then again, if you can use classic lines for freight, why bother with every HSL to be made for mixed traffic?
Well because classic line is Iberian gauge while there is much interest in UIC gauge freight at least on some corridors. It is also question of money as let say 6 trains per day are low to justify fully double track HSL line. Well even 1 HS train an hour leaves very much space for additional freight. Regarding distances in Spain between HS trains in 1 hour freight train can cover up to 60 km between passing loops. So there is much space to accommodate freight without doubling infrastructure.

But to be fair I also think that traffic separation should be widely spread as both types require different solutions. HS requires straight lines with short passing loops of just 400 m while freight with low maximum speed do not require such sophisticated infrastructure but it prefer long side tracks preferably 1,5 km long. But it is up to feasibility calculations which option is best. I think that at least in first phase Spain should allow freight on some HS lines with some additional passing of highly used sections while on second phase rebuild parts of conventional network to place there freight.

Quote:
p.s: I have two questions: what exactly means "ATM"? And "TSI"? I kind of guess it but I´m not completely sure about it.
My technical English isn´t always top notch. Thank you.
To be honest I also had problems with AFAIK which is simply "as far as I know"
ATM means "at this moment" while TSI is shortening of "Technical Specifications for Interoperability". TSIs are important as they form modern sets of rules to which EU member countries must adapt their local law (in HS thread I've written about platform height and its complications in some states). The TSIs can be found on ERA site (link below) but basically every national rail authority publishes it on its own pages with native language so I think that You will find them on ADIF pages.

http://www.era.europa.eu/Core-Activi...fications.aspx
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #2184
Sister Greed U

Santiago-Vigo line.

Pictures of the sector between the river Ulla viaduct and the future Padrón-Barbanza new station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asannei View Post

Old January 29th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #2185
Sister Greed U

Santiago-Vigo line.

River Ulla viaduct.

Quote:

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #2186
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
Well I think that despite gauge difference Spain model for HSL is better and if Spain would have unique gauge this would be seen right now.
The ministry says they have to give priority to the change of gauge.
I tend to believe it, for now... let´s be merciful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
To be honest I also had problems with AFAIK which is simply "as far as I know"
ATM means "at this moment" while TSI is shortening of "Technical Specifications for Interoperability". TSIs are important as they form modern sets of rules to which EU member countries must adapt their local law (in HS thread I've written about platform height and its complications in some states). The TSIs can be found on ERA site (link below) but basically every national rail authority publishes it on its own pages with native language so I think that You will find them on ADIF pages.

http://www.era.europa.eu/Core-Activi...fications.aspx
Oh, it was that. Thanks...
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #2187
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

Pipe dreams for Barcelona

Hey guys. The other day I was walking along the shore line in Barcelona from Barceloneta to Zona Franca and I was wondering if it would be possible to connect Barcelona Estació de França with the other side of Montjuic. It would make Estació de França more interesting again (Like PIO in Madrid) and divert some traffic maybe of the two central routes. I would personally add Rodalies Glories as well and we'd be set for years to come. Has anyone ever seen or heard about an idea like this?
Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #2188
Sister Greed U

error post

Last edited by 437.001; January 29th, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #2189
Sister Greed U

error post

Last edited by 437.001; January 29th, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #2190
Xoser_barcelona

Quote:

The plans are as follows (in no particular order of priority):

-finishing and opening the extension of line S1 between Terrassa-Rambla and Terrassa-Can Roca (aka Terrassa-Nacions Unides), including three new underground stations at Vallparadís-Universitat (which will be very busy), Terrassa-Estació del Nord (connection with Rodalies Renfe line R4, and crucial point of this extension, since it is foreseen to become a mejor connection station), and the aforemetioned Terrassa-Can Roca.
It should be opening next year, and it is one of the reasons why class 113 EMUs are being purchased (the other is the replacement of class 111 EMUs).

-upgrade of several Rodalies Renfe stations (on all lines, R4 in particular).
The general state of the Rodalies Renfe stations has improved dramatically in many cases, in particular as far as accessibility is concerned. But there still are many stations in bad to horrible state, and they should keep up focussing on that, it´ll only make them win new passengers.

-finishing and opening the extension of line S2 between Sabadell-Estació and Sabadell-Ca N´Oriac, including five new underground stations: Sabadell-Estació itself (which now is in surface), Sabadell-Plaça Major (replacing the old Sabadell-rambla station, which is in single track), Sabadell-Eix Macià (comercial area), Sabadell-Nord (connection with Rodalies Renfe line R4, and just as crucial as the connection between S1 and R4 at Terrassa-Estació del Nord, this one will see hordes of passengers), and Sabadell-Ca N´Oriac (serving a northern Sabadell quarter).

-improvements in signalling, such as the ERTMS and so on.

-double-tracking of certain parts of line R3, notably between Montcada-Ripollet and La Garriga, one of the most charged lines, due to the fact that it´s single track and trains tend to be overcrowded as they are 3-car EMUs in most cases.

-double-tracking, wherever posible, line R1 between Arenys de Mar and Blanes, which will be quite difficult, as the line follows the sea front, it´s on the beach.

-posible opening of two or three much-demanded stations: Santa Perpètua-Can Folguera (on line R8, started but unfinished), Montornès del Vallès (on lines R2 and R8 between montmeló and Granollers-Centre, which is a town without station, even though it´s crossed by the railway lilne), and Montmeló-Nord (on line R3, near the nothern end of said town, and also an industrial estate, and the F1 circuit).

-maybe other things that we don´t know yet, but overall, there are no more plans.
Thanks. What about connecting Trambesòs to the Maresme line and enabling tram-train operations? Couldn't be too expensive except for maybe lowering some platforms until Badalona? As you can see, only if you say 3 times crisis will I believe there is no money anymore. Raise taxes on the rich, everyone happy
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #2191
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoser_barcelona View Post
Thanks. What about connecting Trambesòs to the Maresme line and enabling tram-train operations? Couldn't be too expensive except for maybe lowering some platforms until Badalona? As you can see, only if you say 3 times crisis will I believe there is no money anymore. Raise taxes on the rich, everyone happy
Oh, no, you´ve already answered.

I thought I was in another thread of another subforum, this one, this is off topic here, so this discussion shall better continue there.

I delete my last two posts as I´ve just reposted them on the right thread, just while you were answering this .
You shall answer there, I won´t continue this discussion here.

Sorry.
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #2192
Xoser_barcelona

Quote:
Oh, no, you´ve already answered.

I thought I was in another thread of another subforum, this one, this is off topic here, so this discussion shall better continue there.

I delete my last two posts as I´ve just reposted them on the right thread, just while you were answering this .
You shall answer there, I won´t continue this discussion here.

Sorry.
Jawohl and sorry

Addition, the Bridge in Galicia technically should be in the Spanish High Speed Rail thread right..sorry couldn't resist
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #2193
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoser_barcelona View Post
Addition, the Bridge in Galicia technically should be in the Spanish High Speed Rail thread right..sorry couldn't resist
It shouldn´t. That´s an upgrade of a classic line, not a pure HSL.

The bridge will see freight and regional classic trains too.
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #2194
Sister Greed U

Valencia-Nord station.

A class 592 DMU in Cercanías Renfe livery.

It is worth of note that this one has just two cars, since the third car was destroyed in an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioytomas View Post
Old January 31st, 2014, 08:34 AM   #2195
Sister Greed U

Santiago-Vigo line.

Images of the new section between Padrón and the river Ulla viaduct:

Quote:

Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:20 AM   #2196
Sister Greed U

Medina del Campo-Salamanca-Fuentes de Oñoro/Vilar Formoso line.
Section Medina del Campo-Salamanca.

According to the last info, the poles are in place between Medina del Campo and Cantalapiedra.

A map of the electrification of this section, showing the stations (light blue and black), the power stations (green), and the autotransformation centres (red).
Tejares-Chamberí station is not included in this phase, it will be electrified on the second phase Salamanca-Vilar Formoso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARBALOSIELLA View Post
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:41 AM   #2197
Sister Greed U

Tarragona-Valencia line.
New section Camp de Tarragona-Vilaseca-Vandellos.

An image of the new platform taken somewhere between Cambrils and Miami Platja.

This line will make trains save time, but trains won´t stop at the centre of Cambrils nor at Salou anymore, it seems, this is quite controversial except for the local politicians and the NIMBYs, since Renfe didn´t want to take away the classic line in the beginning because it will lose passengers, but it seems that it finally gave in.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:32 PM   #2198
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

closing central stations is nearly always pure madness.

What gauge will be used and where? Where will the gauge changers be placed? I know that the Barcelona-Valencia should be the first converted main line (so the new line might open together with the conversion), but the sleepers in that photos seems to be dual gauge sleepers (as usual), but configured for broad gauge.

Is there already a date for the last day of broad gauge operation on the Barcelona-Valencia line?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:17 PM   #2199
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
closing central stations is nearly always pure madness.
Unless they´re replaced by another central station, it certainly is.

Quote:
What gauge will be used and where?
Good question.

The current plan was/is standard gauge from Vilaseca to Castellon, third rail between Castellbisbal and Vilaseca (on just one of the tracks), and also between Castellon and Valencia (on one of the tracks between Castellon and Sagunt, and on both tracks between Sagunt and Valencia).

But it seems that things could perhaps change (again!)...

Quote:
Where will the gauge changers be placed?
One should be placed in Tarragona, but we don´t know the exact location yet.
But given the current state of things, it´s maybe too soon to talk about precise dates and places.

Quote:
I know that the Barcelona-Valencia should be the first converted main line (so the new line might open together with the conversion), but the sleepers in that photos seems to be dual gauge sleepers (as usual), but configured for broad gauge.
They´re supposed to be installed in Iberian gauge only during the laying of the rails (they´re starting from Vandellos, an Iberian gauge-only station), to later be switched to standard gauge.

Quote:
Is there already a date for the last day of broad gauge operation on the Barcelona-Valencia line?
No. Actually... there might not be a gauge change, if the ministry keeps on paying attention to certain people.
Let´s see what happens, because we´re all quite angry at that in SSC Spain.

Some businessmen from Barcelona and Valencia, and the Catalan regional government, are asking the ministry to not change the gauge and put a third rail instead.
The minister said she would talk to the technicians to see what can be done about that.

It looks like a private company doesn´t want to pay for the gauge change of their rolling stock, and they demand third rail instead of gauge change.

Last edited by 437.001; February 3rd, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM   #2200
Sister Greed U

Medina del Campo-Salamanca-Fuentes de Oñoro/Vilar Formoso line.
Section Medina del Campo-Salamanca.

Electrification works have reached Salamanca.
Soon we´ll see the poles in the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARBALOSIELLA View Post

Tags
alicante, ave, canfranc, high speed rail, spain in the world