daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #2501
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15435

Palencia-Santander line.
Between Amusco and Palencia stations, including images of Amusco station, El Carrión halt and Monzón de Campos station.

Images of the upgrade, consisting of the renovation of tracks and OHLE (catenary and poles).

(translated from Spanish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachelo View Post
Today I´ve been surprised, I was near Amusco and I´ve been to its station, and I´ve found out this.

Looking towards Piña de Campos station (that is, towards Santander), I´ve seen the new poles already standing.
I´ve been happy, since the line is so much in need of an upgrade:

Detail with more poles, waiting to be put in their place:

Zooming, the old poles next to the new ones, the bridge you see in hindsight is the motorway Palencia-Santander:

I turned 180º, looking towards the south and Monzón de Campos (that is, looking towards Palencia), and we no longer see any new poles standing, but if you look twice between two old poles, you can tell the bases for the new poles:

I continued towards the north, but north of the motorway bridge you no longer see any new poles nor any sign of works.
So I went south, and I stopped at El Carrión halt, which serves the town of Monzón de Campos, and here the bases for the new poles are already in place, both looking towards the north (to Amusco and Santander)...

...and also looking towards the south (to Monzón de Campos station and Palencia), with the poles wainting to be installed:

A detail of just how old and rusty the poles are, and that´s even if we are at Palencia, an area with a rather dry climate. The electrification of the section between Palencia and Alar del Rey was finished in 1965, the section between Alar del Rey and Reinosa in 1955, and the section between Reinosa and Santander in 1954. The rest of the poles down the line till Santander were in such state until the upgrade started progressively a few years ago.

At Monzón de Campos station works haven´t started yet.
But it was 20:10, so I saw the Alvia bound for Santander passing by with a class 130:

I kept on going towards Palencia, and I stopped at a barrierless level crossing next to Husillos, a small village located 9 km north of Palencia, and yes, here are also the bases for the new poles.
Looking towards Monzón de Campos and Santander:

Looking towards Palencia:

Nothing´s been done between somewhere south of Husillos and Palencia:

Greetings.

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; April 25th, 2014 at 08:31 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #2502
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Indeed. Talk about it, I´m back in a few minutes with an update on those eternal works (nearly 20 bleeding years and they´re not finished yet... mind you, the Madrid-Barcelona HSL started works later and was finished much before).
We´ve learnt to be patient, here...
Well, here´s a small explanation of how things are in the section between Camp de Tarragona and Vandellos.

(all pictures by Alvarop_86, some bits of the original text in Spanish that follows have been kept, but all of it has been translated, and most of it has been quite reworked and expanded by me)

================================================

Tarragona-Reus classic line + Camp de Tarragona-Vandellos new line + Vilaseca chord (between both lines)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarop_86 View Post
First I went to the place where the new point will be installed, at the start of the chord on the Vilaseca side, we´re on the Tarragona-Reus classic line, between Vilaseca and Reus stations.

Top right, the start of the chord towards the new line to Vandellos (and further away to Valencia). We can see the sleepers already in place.
This chord is supposed to be only in standard gauge.

Bottom left, to Tarragona and Barcelona (and further away to Le Perthus, France).

Aside from the classic rectangular sleepers for points, of different sizes, there also is a pile of polyvalent sleepers (for either standard OR Iberian gauge, but not both, which will exist beyond this point towards the south, while between this point and Tarragona, and on to Barcelona, it will be dual gauge on the classic line).

Following the road towards the new line (the road actually goes on towards La Plana and Reus, which is not far), it looks like it´s been recently paved, maybe to make the transit of lorries and machinery going to the works of new line easier.

Once arrived to the bridge over the new line, we look towards Camp de Tarragona station (and Barcelona). Somewhere beyond this point, there will be a transition between 3 kV and 25 kV, since on from this point starts the part of the new line which can be considered a HSL, albeit speeds won´t be very high, since Camp de Tarragona station is not all too far.

Now I moved further south along the new line, but looking again towards Camp de Tarragona (and Barcelona). We can tell that the trench has not been completely excavated yet!! This is the neverending story, there is a rural road and an aqueduct that runs beneath it, and though new overpasses have been finished, the trench doesn´t get finished, who knows why.
Besdides, I am now right at the point where the chord coming from the Tarragona-Reus line (out of focus to the right of the pic) meets the new line.

Zooming from the same spot. In the first place we see the yet-unifinished trench, and beyond it an overbridge for a rural road and the Tarragona-Reus classic line, which cuts in a 90º angle. In hindsight we can tell some chimneys, they´re some 10 km away, and a few 3 km further past the chimneys lies Camp de Tarragona station.

Now I´m at the top of the rural road that goes through the unfinished trench, looking towards Camp de Tarragona and Barcelona, in the first place the overpass for a rural road and the Tarragona-Reus classic line (Tarragona to the right, Reus to the left).

Same spot, looking towards the south (Vandellos and Valencia). In the first place we see the overpass from which I took other pictures, and right after it converges from the left (Vilaseca and Tarragona) the chord from the Tarragona-Reus classic line, with sleepers in place. Beyond this point and till the start of the Cambrils viaduct, the sleepers are also in place, for double track. All of what we see in this image is supposed to be in standard gauge, but 3 kV. We can also note that the gap between the junction and right behind us is rather less advanced that the rest of the area, even though if it´s a very short sector and theoretically nothing stops the works from carrying on...

Following again towards Vilaseca, I finally get to the chord, which will be in standard gauge, OHLE at 3 kV DC and single track. It struck me just how close the rural road is from the new line, it´s "right there in your face".
Trains won´t run fast here, btw, but it will surely be rather impressive to see them from so close.

The chord, looking towards Vilaseca and Tarragona, with the Tarragona-Reus classic line in hindsight.

We can tell that the sleepers are polyvalent (that is, not for dual gauge, only standard OR Iberian gauge). We can clearly tell that they´re positioned in Iberian gauge. We´re not sure wether it´s provisory, just for the Works, or wether it will really be a transitional period in Iberian gauge before connecting it to the HSL towards Camp de Tarragona.

Detail of the sleepers:

Detail of the sleepers 2nd part ():

Finally, we get to the other side of the point (the first pic was taken from across the classic line). To the right, to Tarragona and Barcelona in dual gauge and 3 kV DC, to the left, to Reus and beyond, in Iberian gauge and 3 kV DC too.

A much more clearer view of the point.
We can tell the city of Reus in hindsight, at the foot of the mountains, with the classic line going there. To the left diverges the new chord towards the new line for Vandellos and Valencia, in single track, standard gauge, and 3 kV DC:

Detail of the sleepers for the new point:

Detail of the rails of the new point:

On the rails we can tell some inscriptions:

Detail of the core of the new point:

The new point looks not provisory at all:

==========================================

Tarragona-Reus + Tarragona-Salou-Vandellos-Valencia + Tarragona-Barcelona classic lines.
Tarragona station.

An image of the sleepers at platform 2 of Tarragona station.
Alvarop_86 says that he saw these white marks every x metres. Works for the dual gauge here are really about to start, there already is a government sign announcing them (but not the date of start of the works!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarop_86 View Post

arctic_carlos, geometarkv liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #2503
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

What is "the point" in this context?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #2504
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
What is "the point" in this context?
A railway point, in English, is the device to change from one track to another:

In American English I think it´s called a railroad switch.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #2505
Sunfuns

Oh, right. I've only heard American version before...
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2506
Sunfuns

Will Salamanca-Fuentes de Onoro stretch also be electrified thus allowing Madrid-Lisbon electric service? Perhaps using HS line till Medina del Campo together with electrification would lower the travel time sufficiently that daytime service is feasible.
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #2507
Sunfuns

Another thing since there was the discussion about Spain-Portugal connections. Has the railway between Huelva and Portuguese border been abandoned or never existed?
Old April 28th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #2508
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Will Salamanca-Fuentes de Onoro stretch also be electrified thus allowing Madrid-Lisbon electric service? Perhaps using HS line till Medina del Campo together with electrification would lower the travel time sufficiently that daytime service is feasible.
The project is on its way, only that the first phase is just between Medina del Campo and Salamanca.
Soon after, the section between Salamanca and Vilar Formoso will be electrified.
Or so we hope, the project is started, it just got a bit of delay with some problems in the Environmental Declaration of the Ciudad Rodrigo new substation to feed the line.

Quote:
Another thing since there was the discussion about Spain-Portugal connections. Has the railway between Huelva and Portuguese border been abandoned or never existed?
The Gibraleón-Ayamonte line was closed in 1987.
It went till the border, but it did never cross the border, there never was any railway bridge over river Guadiana.
Between Huelva and Gibraleón it´s still open, since that´s part of the Zafra-Huelva line (that I highly recommend for its landscape beauty).
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #2509
Sister Greed U

Santiago-Vigo line.
River Ulla viaduct, at Catoira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloy_tp View Post

Plus a video:

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #2510
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

A joint-venture (JV) comprising Thales and Siemens Rail Automation has secured a €54m contract from Spanish railway infrastructure manager ADIF to supply the European railways traffic management system (ERTMS) automatic train protection for the Pajares Diversion in Spain.
ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:03 PM   #2511
carlesnuc

Likes (Received): 1042

L'Hospitalet de Llobregat(Bellvitge)-Barcelona-01-05-2014
Line Madrid Chamartin-Barcelona Est.de França
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlesnuc View Post
Bellvitge 1-05-2014

carlesnuc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:57 PM   #2512
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Pelase, don't put more than 10 videos in one single post

It makes it horrible to read the forum on a tablet.

437.001 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:30 AM   #2513
Sister Greed U

Santiago-Vigo line.
River Ulla viaduct, at Catoira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC.sidon View Post

Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:51 PM   #2514
Suburbanist
on the road

Why is this junction cut-off?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:12 PM   #2515
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why is this junction cut-off?
Yes the original Castillejo-Añover - Toledo branch was the line serving Toledo station until the construction of the high speed branch from the Madrid-Seville HSL. This new high speed link was built over the former line, but because of the break of gauge, the classic line from Algodor was cut there and there isn't anymore Iberian gauge tracks getting to Toledo. It was quite controversial somehow, as Toledo lost its connection to the commuter trains network of Madrid, and it was replaced by the current regional high speed service (Avant), but after all, the number of passengers who commute everyday by train between Madrid and Toledo has grown.

Maybe, in the future, thanks to the unification of gauges in Spanish railways, this connection will be rebuilt.

Richard_P liked this post
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:23 PM   #2516
Sunfuns

So basically the only train service from Toledo now is non-stop to Madrid Atocha. Seems to be too expensive for everyday commuting, though. Is it possible to buy a monthly or yearly pass for these trains thus saving some money?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:53 PM   #2517
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post

Maybe, in the future, thanks to the unification of gauges in Spanish railways, this connection will be rebuilt.
When will the junction access Toledo <=> Sevilla be completed?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2518
Reivajar

Quote:
So basically the only train service from Toledo now is non-stop to Madrid Atocha. Seems to be too expensive for everyday commuting, though. Is it possible to buy a monthly or yearly pass for these trains thus saving some money?
Yes. Recently, some new direct trains from other Spanish cities are calling in Toledo for serving the events for El Greco 4th Centenary, but the call as well at Madrid-Atocha, but basically what you have now are non-stop trains between Madrid and Toledo. Anyway, before, the trains as well were Madrid-Toledo services, via Aranjuez, so the service was not that different, but that's true that it has a better integration for reaching stations in Southern Madrid taking another commuter train in Aranjuez (line C3).

There are passes which reduce a lot the fare. There is an important saving of time as well (1h before, 30 min now). Anyway, even if I consider it is much more expensive, apparently it is pretty popular as the number of commuters has grown a lot: from 300.000 in 2003 with the conventional trains to the current 1.300.000 passengers per year who use the Avant services, so it is not that bad.

Here you have more figures and information about the former regional services and the current high speed regional trains: http://www.ferropedia.es/wiki/LAV_y_...adrid_-_Toledo (in Spanish though)

Richard_P liked this post
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:03 PM   #2519
Reivajar

Quote:
Nobody knows... I think it was mostly planned thinking in regional services between Toledo, Ciudad Real and Puertollano (all of those cities belong to the same autonomous community, Castille-La Mancha), or even for programming continous regional services Madrid-Toledo-Ciudad Real-Puertollano, but I am not sure it was that useful. The demand and needs in Madrid-Toledo trains, are completely different than in Madrid-Ciudad Real-Puertollano trains, and as well different from the hypothetical Toledo-Ciudad Real-Puertollano. It makes that integrating all those services could be really complicated.

Suburbanist liked this post
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:05 PM   #2520
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
In fact, a new station in the La Sagra surroundings would be enough. All Toledo-Madrid would stop there (people could park there and take the train, there are many towns in the area) and you could join to a train to Seville or wherelse. Easier than several Toledo-South trains which require a specific demand

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alicante, ave, canfranc, high speed rail, spain in the world