daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #2681
Trenponfe

Likes (Received): 187

León - Monforte de Lemos (- A Coruña) line.
Renfe class 251 with an empty coal train leaving Ponferrada station.

Renfe Class 251 in Ponferrada station.

Takargo Louriçal (Portugal) - Lugo in Monforte de Lemos (Takargo Class 6000)

Tramesa Steel Sevilla - Ponferrada arriving in Ponferrada (Comsa class 335)
Trenponfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #2682
Transira
Trolleyman

Likes (Received): 99

del
Old October 13th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #2683
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2586

Red Videotren recently published new cab view from coastal Barcelona to the middle of mountains in Puigcerdà. Video long but worth watching (at least I enjoyed it ). At the final station there are clearly visible traces from UIC gauge transhipment facility which are now deserted and to France reaches only Iberian gauge.

Edit:

And green Videotren also posted great video from Barcelona through Caspe to Zaragozza. Unfortunately this movie is a back view but for someone interested in track layout it is fairly useful.

By the way, there are in use fairly ingenious gauge convertible sleepers, but what about turnouts? I am searching for any kind of information and using English kea words doesn't bring any results, putting them through google translate either, while watching any film there aren't any signs that turnouts are gauge adjustable. Is it real and during gauge conversion those turnouts will have to be replaced?

dirdam, m_avorreixo, neuromancer liked this post

Last edited by Richard_P; October 15th, 2014 at 01:37 PM.
Richard_P está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #2684
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

It seems that there are two daily direct trains in each direction between Madrid and San Roque - La Linea taking about five hours. Are there any prospects for a faster connection in the future?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #2685
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
It seems that there are two daily direct trains in each direction between Madrid and San Roque - La Linea taking about five hours. Are there any prospects for a faster connection in the future?
No, there aren't

Several works have been made in that line indeed, but just a refurbishment to Algeciras. It was without traffic for a while due to works.

HSL come from Madrid (or Barcelona or Valencia without calling at Madrid) and calls at Cordoba. After there you have a cross to go to Seville (line to Cadiz is being upgraded) or to Malaga.
There is a project (works on, halted, on... and I have to ask how they are now) to arrive Granada from Antequera station, but nothing else.

Sometimes you have had three daily trains.
Furthermore if you need, you can reach for trains Barcelona-Antequera or Valencia-Antequera and shuttle through Algeciras.

Anyway you have a third daily connection. You can take a Madrid-Malaga daily train that departs at 11:35, get off at Antequera and wait for a while to a Granada-Algeciras.

It will be a doubled-ticket. This is... the company will know you are going to take your second train and it is assured. Conductor on board will know it (and will give you any report if there is a delay or so) and they will assure that all passengers with the doubled-ticket will have connection (if they have a delay they can delay second train or choose to offer you a bus either a taxi free to destination).

I've searched and the doubled-ticket is a bit more expensive in this case (the train to Antequerera will be better and worse after Antequera) but you can have three daily connections from Madrid (8:35 direct, 11:35 linked, 15:05 direct)

I remember that ten years ago you had only one train to Algeciras on the HSL and took double time for a Algeciras-Cordoba (it was full classic line then) than Cordoba-Madrid. There was a second train while the night departing at 23:10 from Madrid and going via Linares-Cordoba, arriving at 09:30...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

mcarling liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #2686
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

I have been tráveling with Renfe a bit, and I have to make a few comments and ask a few questions about it (well, don´t have to, but will nonetheless ).

First of all, great service. With (actually good) movies and documentaries, headphones, ample legroom, guaranteed forward facing seats (Preferente, at least) and some good offers (including for Preferente, got tickets there for cheaper tan Turista), Renfe has a top notch service in my opinión. And this is not AVE, even products like Avant or Alvia are very good IMO. Some drawbacks I´ve noticed includes more delays than I have seen in previous years (though mostly short) and a slight decline in cleanliness.

But a big issue I have, living in Bilbao, is the horrid service on most non-AVE lines. Seriously, Renfe seems to only focus on those and some Cercania services, with the rest having few and poor connections. Despite the competitive time and price (compared to bus services), trains to Madrid and Barcelona travel only once or twice a day! Furthermore, they are often sold out. And I have seen this in other non-AVE routes too. I do think that such neglect in the non-AVE sector is very bad marketing. Heck, I could even see Alvia/Altaria7Avant services growing, especially in the North-West where I think building AVE standard lines is never going to break even...

Does anyone know if this is caused by lack of train sets or by deliberate policy? Or maybe by lack of patronage on the lines?
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #2687
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It's matter of opinion but IMO, the problem of classic lines is lack of speed over car either over bus.

For instance, Bilbao-Miranda takes 1h35m in train where 90 km on motorway driving 120 km/h...

As a result, I remember that in 2003, opening Madrid-Lleida, an important number of passengers increased between Madrid-Zaragoza and Madrid-Lleida (and other stations) as well as Madrid-Barcelona didn't increase too much. After, arriving to Camp de Tarragona, it was this second station which received more passengers but Barcelona didn't get up.
Finally, in Winter 2008 arriving there HSL, number of passengers increased too much. It WAS the most used air-link within Europe and now, I think the number of passengers is 60-40 or so (train-plane).

Therefore... as soon as new HSL will open you will see more passengers.

Anyway, I agree with you that there is a lack of interest in those main lines in classic railway and some of them could offer better numbers.

Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:28 AM   #2688
Trenponfe

Draisine arriving at Ponferrada station.

Vicálvaro (Madrid - Barcelona classic line)
Renfe 319.304 and Renfe 269.856 with a butane train to Huelva.
Old December 1st, 2014, 03:18 PM   #2689
Richard_P

Recently green Videotren published long backview from classic line Zaragoza - Madrid. Apart from great scenery through valleys and tunnels interesting is fact that this train terminates at Chamartin rather than Atocha - how many trains use that alignment and how did it looked before AVE (trains from Barcelona finished at Atocha or Chamartin? And other remark - I am surprised how low traffic is on that line now. Basically first train in opposite direction was after 2 and a half hour of movie and only in one place film might be cut. And that was passenger train while through whole movie there wasn't any freight train - I thought that this line has greater use.

Old December 13th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #2690
Trenponfe

Renfe 440.235 entering at Boeza canyons. (Ponferrada - San Miguel de las Dueñas)

Madrid - Valencia de Alcántara classic line
Adif 310.027 and 310.007 with the "contrast-scales train" between La Serna and Parque Polvoranca stations.
Old December 14th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #2691
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
Recently green Videotren published long backview from classic line Zaragoza - Madrid. Apart from great scenery through valleys and tunnels interesting is fact that this train terminates at Chamartin rather than Atocha - how many trains use that alignment and how did it looked before AVE (trains from Barcelona finished at Atocha or Chamartin? And other remark - I am surprised how low traffic is on that line now. Basically first train in opposite direction was after 2 and a half hour of movie and only in one place film might be cut. And that was passenger train while through whole movie there wasn't any freight train - I thought that this line has greater use.

Nice (and long) video

freight trains are only at night. In that line you can see sometimes while the day but not often. The reason is that they will need other lines and those ones can operate only at night.

It had a huge traffic. It is totally a doubled line except from Ricla station (minute 31 in the video) to Calatayud.
HSL project was supossed to have that strecht at first. Just have a look how classic and HSL "join" northern Ricla
https://www.google.es/maps/place/502...bb12b8880f48b7

All trains Madrid-Barcelona, Madrid-Logroño, Madrid-Jaca, Madrid-Pamplona and some Madrid-Zaragoza crossed there as well as freight and regional ones.

Today you have between Zaragoza and Calatayud four regional trains in the classic line. Less ones later and after Sigúenza you will find someone more... but obviously not enough to consider a doubled line.

It is so good just because it was one of the lines with more long distance traffic before HSL and infrastructure remains for freight and local trains

Richard_P liked this post
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #2692
447-254M

Likes (Received): 571

idn4066 by ribot85, on Flickr
447-254M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #2693
manhuelofspain
expert in nothing

Likes (Received): 3978

Between Lorqui and Archena (Murcia, Spain)

12-04-20 Friday afternoon trains 333.389 por McGomez Ferroviaria, en Flickr
manhuelofspain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #2694
Richard_P

On green Videotren marathon cab view was posted from Irun to Barcelona. Generally most of this stretch can be seen on other earlier videos but in this interesting is beginning where from Irun to San Sebastian where along whole stretch new sleepers were unloaded and as I can see it correctly those are for 3 rails (dual gauge) with initially fastenings positioned in Ibergian gauge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7_gBOxvEw

Additionally on red and green Videotrens cab view:
Manresa - Barcelona - Sant Vicenc de Calders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3s-qbFnc9U

and in opposite direction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ToMVRJuVM
were posted.
Old December 26th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #2695
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15435

Santiago-Vigo line (under upgrade).

Images of the river Ulla viaduct, at Catoira (and surroundings). It's almost finished. Images taken last Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC.sidon View Post

1 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

2 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

4 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

5 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

3 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

6 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

South side of the viaduct, looking towards Pontevedra/Vigo:

7 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

North side of the viaduct, looking towards Santiago/Corunna:

8 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

North side of the viaduct, looking towards Pontevedra/Vigo:

9 by sc.sidon, on Flickr

AlexNL liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #2696
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
I have been tráveling with Renfe a bit, and I have to make a few comments and ask a few questions about it (well, don´t have to, but will nonetheless ).
Hi Robi_damian. Good to see you outside the DLM.

Quote:
First of all, great service. With (actually good) movies and documentaries, headphones, ample legroom, guaranteed forward facing seats (Preferente, at least) and some good offers (including for Preferente, got tickets there for cheaper tan Turista), Renfe has a top notch service in my opinión. And this is not AVE, even products like Avant or Alvia are very good IMO. Some drawbacks I´ve noticed includes more delays than I have seen in previous years (though mostly short) and a slight decline in cleanliness.

But a big issue I have, living in Bilbao, is the horrid service on most non-AVE lines.
Correct. Bilbao is one of the biggest cities that doesn't have a rail service up to the standards of the city. The other five cities that are in the same situation are Murcia, Vigo, Corunna, San Sebastian, and Granada.

Historically, the classic railway lines that led there (Murcia excepted) cross rather mountainous areas, so if that was alright decades ago, at the time when road travel was not so good, nowadays that doesn't help at all to improve the numbers of the trains. The lines aren't competitive anymore on these routes. Hence the new HSLs and upgrades of classic line. These six cities alone, once given a decent rail service, will have a dramatic boost in passenger numbers.

Quote:
Seriously, Renfe seems to only focus on those and some Cercania services, with the rest having few and poor connections. Despite the competitive time and price (compared to bus services), trains to Madrid and Barcelona travel only once or twice a day!
Yes. Nowadays the train is not very competitive in Bilbao.

Quote:
Furthermore, they are often sold out. And I have seen this in other non-AVE routes too. I do think that such neglect in the non-AVE sector is very bad marketing. Heck, I could even see Alvia/Altaria7Avant services growing, especially in the North-West where I think building AVE standard lines is never going to break even...
In NW Spain? That's precisely where most money is being invested.

Quote:
Does anyone know if this is caused by lack of train sets or by deliberate policy? Or maybe by lack of patronage on the lines?
It's a sum of several different things. You're not wrong, though.

In some cases it is pure historical neglect. That's the case of Murcia, which historically has always had very bad railway service, and that, despite its size and the fact that it has an easy access to both Madrid and Valencia/Barcelona. Murcia even used to have a rail link to Granada, but it was closed in 1985, possibly the most stupid rail closure in the country (that was a main line).
In Murcia even the commuter rail services are not up to standards, using rather old 1980s DMUs (the only commuter rail network that's entirely diesel).
A mix of a new HSL and the massive upgrade of the current classic line is happening there, though, and should open by next year or 2016.

The case of Granada, Corunna, Vigo, San Sebastian, and Bilbao (Bilbao being the worst case together with Murcia) is different, as geography counts very much too, and in some cases, also the design of the lines too. A direct connection that seems bloody obvious like Bilbao to Vitoria was never built (until now).

On another hand, the fact that the Atlantic/Cantabrian corridor (Hendaye to San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santander, Oviedo, and Ferrol) was built in metric gauge did not help in the slightest. Rail traffic on the northern coast is small, too, and absolutely not competitive against road traffic. Bilbao-Santander takes forever, even more than Bilbao-Miranda de Ebro.

In some cases (ie high-speed services), there's an overstock of rolling stock at the moment, but near future extensions will dramatically change that, as all of it will be highly used.
But for regional services, there is definitely a lack of rolling stock.

In some classic line routes though, there is a lack of patronage. Just look at the lines, their travel times in comparison with the road, and you'll understand. Population density in non-Madrid Central Spain, Western Spain or the Pyrenees counts very much, too.
Some parts of Central Spain have a population density as low as Lapland.
So as you can imagine, there's not a lot of people taking the train there.

Deliberate policy... happened in the past, usually with the purpose of closing this or that line. I don't think that happens anymore, unless they decided to close some lines due to low patronage leading to no reason for upgrades.
This could happen again, but in some cases it is being put on hold as they're still unsure about what to do with the extension of the standard gauge for freight.

Robi_damian liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; December 26th, 2014 at 07:37 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #2697
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

That's one cool viaduct, I almost regret that I went to Galicia this year instead of waiting for the next so I can try the new line.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #2698
Sister Greed U

You can come back, Spain won't be moving to another planet yet... (seafood seafood seafood )
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #2699
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I know and likelihood of me traveling around Spain again is very high. Although probably not in 2015 as I've set my sights on Sicily and a longer trip to USA/Canada
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #2700
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Sunfuns...which was your favourite landscape?

And which line(s) would you like to ride?

Tags
alicante, ave, canfranc, high speed rail, spain in the world