daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #2821
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3991

We can't forget that what has been put now into service in Vigo is just the first phase of the new railway scheme of the city. While it's true that the old Vigo Urzaiz was less than 30 years old, it had to be rebuilt underground in order to enable the second phase of the project, that is to say, the south access to the station, coming both from Portugal and Ourense.

Once this second phase is built (which involves an expensive tunnel under the city and maybe a second station to serve southern neighborhoods of Vigo), trains coming from Ourense and Portugal will be able to access the new station directly from the south and therefore continue northwards to Coruña without the need of reversing or changing trains. The south access will link Vigo - Urzaiz to Porriño station, hence saving a lot of kilometers to trains coming from the south.

Thus, it should be a priority to re-electrify the current line Ourense - Vigo in 25 Kv, in order to allow electric trains to interoperate in the Galician lines without restrictions. The Portuguese network is also electrified in 25 Kv, and there are real plans to electrify in the Portuguese side to electrify the missing section between Nine and the Spanish border (and the short section between the border and Guillarei, in Spain).

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #2822
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Of course I have no idea either, but if there isn't then it's time to start thinking about ordering more. I remember reading that there are more HS trains available than there is use for them, but it might be different for regional trains.
I think they have in mind some orders for HSR.
There is also this idea of revamping class 451 (3-car double-decker EMUs now running on commuter rail services in Barcelona) to regional rail in Catalonia, the Barcelona-Tortosa line in particular, which gets quite busy in summer.
But nothing official yet.

Quote:
That's really silly. Brand new route there doesn't make much sense and it seems unlikely he will achieve anything. Galicia has already been quite favoured in HSR spending.
Correct, that new route they want is nonsense, too costly, too hilly.

Quote:
Ok, not an hour but Vigo ought to get significant time improvements as well. Exactly the same they are getting for trips to Santiago over the new line.
Not quite. Alvia trains Pontevedra-Madrid and Vigo-Barcelona don't use the HSL between Santiago and Ourense, never have. They use the Minho Valley classic line instead, via Guillarei and Ribadavia, along the Portuguese border (and a beautiful line if you ask me).

Only Corunna-Madrid and Corunna-Barcelona trains use the HSL.

This means that the Alvia Pontevedra-Madrid runs from Pontevedra till Vigo-Guixar, where it reverses, and then continues on towards Ourense and Madrid via the Minho Valley.

This means that Pontevedra has a very long travel time to Madrid because of the reversal at Vigo. On the other hand, another important town such as Vilagarcía has never had a direct train for Madrid or Barcelona.

If the Madrid and Barcelona Alvias could run on the HSL, then Pontevedra travel time for Madrid would be cut in one hour or more, as the route would be Madrid-Ourense-Vilagarcía-Pontevedra-Redondela-Vigo Urzaiz instead of the current Madrid-Ourense-Guillarei-Redondela-Vigo Guixar-Redondela-Pontevedra route. There is no direct train from Barcelona to Pontevedra now, but if they used the HSL, there would be.

Quote:
It is a bit odd, particularly from above, but inside seems to quite functional.
Odd because it's unfinished, but even the finisehd Project seemed odd to me.

Quote:
There is so much potential for this new infrastructure if it's used right. It looks like there is enough capacity for long distance services, fast regional services as well as all stopping local services by using a combination of old and new lines. What would be useful to facilitate this is electrification of remaining unelectrified portions of classical line between Santiago and Vigo.
Spot on.

Quote:
Also it seems to me that in Galician context there is too much emphasis on connections to Madrid. They are of importance and the new line when fully finished will deliver that, but even more important is high quality (regular, high frequency) local/regional traffic. If you live in Pontevedra a trip to Vigo or Santiago is a lot more likely than to Madrid.
While on one hand you have a point, it is to be noted that Galicia long-distance travel times have always been the worse, and that by a far cry.
On the other hand, northern Spain has much more in common with Madrid than Eastern, Northeastern or Southern Spain (bar Alicante, which is Madrid's beach). There is many more people from Northern Spain in Madrid than from other regions.

This means more potential trips if the travel time gets any decent than from other regions.
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #2823
Sister Greed U

NEWS! (update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
NEWS! (update)

Santiago-Vigo upgrade to open next Saturday (it seems).
It did open on Saturday.

6,000 passengers on its first day of operation.

Last edited by 437.001; April 20th, 2015 at 02:33 AM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #2824
Sister Greed U

And here's what we were ALL waiting for. The river Ulla viaduct at Catoira:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC.sidon View Post
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #2825
Sister Greed U

A class S.121 running on the river Ulla viaduct bound for Vigo Urzaiz:

Old April 20th, 2015, 03:16 AM   #2826
Sister Greed U

More:

One thing that should be noted is that Pontevedra, head of the province of the same name, is another city that gets electrification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
Departures screens at Pontevedra station with the first trains for Vigo Urzaiz. Note also a train for Vigo Guixar.

Pannel at Pontevedra station, announcing the arrival of the first electric train for Vigo Urzaiz.

Class S.121 train enters Pontevedra station bound for Vigo Urzaiz.

Arrival at Vigo Urzáiz station.

Platforms at Vigo Urzaiz.

People queueing at Vigo Urzaiz for their train.

Inside the S.121.

Pontevedra station again. Train bound for Corunna...

...and train bound for Vigo Urzaiz.

aby_since82, krisu99, pai nosso liked this post
Old April 20th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #2827
Sister Greed U

Class S.121 at Pontevedra station, bound for Vigo Urzaiz.

Old April 20th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #2828
Sister Greed U

On a totally different area.

Nostalgic (and remarkable) video of trains running along the Madrid-Aranda de Duero-Burgos line.
Including Talgo III trainsets and class 10000 coaches, class 352 and 333 locomotives, interesting scenery.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:26 PM   #2829
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2598

First of all congratulations for opening of rebuild Vigo - Santiago line it would be great to see it from drivers perspective but I assume that we have to wait for that. In the meantime we can see section from A Coruna to Santiago in film below (it's back view and only 480p but still quite a good film).

By the way does anybody can now find LAV Ourense - Santiago video? It was great and that user posted also Vigo-Santiago sections so there might be a chance to find there something new but You Tube tends to find other pretty much crap instead of that movie.

And on other hand, does anybody know what happened with Videotren? Both are looking as almost completely erased (1-2 movies left). I must admit, that I liked that channels.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 05:03 AM   #2830
Sister Greed U

Probably he's been given an infraction by Renfe. He was a Renfe worker, presumably. I suspect he did that without the approval of the company.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:45 PM   #2831
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2598

That would be complete shame but there must be a reason why cab views from Spain are a rarity yet there is so much to see, so much development going on I understand concerns about terrorist attacks but those movies doesn't show anything which can't be spotted in any other way while 2004 bombings proved that people are the target not infrastructure itself... .
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:28 PM   #2832
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
And on other hand, does anybody know what happened with Videotren? Both are looking as almost completely erased (1-2 movies left). I must admit, that I liked that channels.
Pretty much expected there would be a reaction after the tragic accident in Santiago de Compostela, although the security was to lax before, letting in non authorized person into the cabin distracting the driver, now it is probably to stringent with draconian rules, but then again, the credibility of Spanish railways is at stake here so better be safe than sorry.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #2833
Trenponfe

Likes (Received): 187

Renfe class 269 (269.967) with an empty scrap train to Villaverde Bajo.

437.001 liked this post
Trenponfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #2834
Metred

Likes (Received): 4356

Narrow-gauge Feve freight train in Irauregi, Basque Country

Para gustos los colores by peiogarciagta, on Flickr

dimlys1994, 437.001, pai nosso liked this post
Metred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #2835
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
That would be complete shame but there must be a reason why cab views from Spain are a rarity yet there is so much to see, so much development going on I understand concerns about terrorist attacks but those movies doesn't show anything which can't be spotted in any other way while 2004 bombings proved that people are the target not infrastructure itself... .
Few after the 2004 bombings another bomb was discovered in the seville hsl...

From what I remember somehow it was detected as an anomalous object on the track before any train could pass by... when the police arrived they discovered that it was meant to be manually activated so supposedly the terrorists ran away when they saw the renfe workers arriving at the place.
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #2836
krisu99

Likes (Received): 191

There was also this Cab View Video from Ourense to Santiago, which was particularly interesting to analyze immediately after the Santiago accident:
Watching the video immediately revealed how the speed restrictions were not enforced by ASFA / ETCS, and the driver had to visually rely at high speed on really small signs along at the line to know where exactly to slow down from high speed to snail speed in order to avoid an accident.

Especially during the first days after the accident newspapers wrote a lot of BS concerning the dynamics of the accident, precise information was not there.

In that case the video was of great help also for the well functioning of the democratic political system. In the weeks after the accidents, media picked up the video and some researched by them selves and analyzed the line signals and made the scandalous (IMHO) configuration public.

Without that now well known drivers video media would have to solely rely on information provided by ADIF / RENFE, which we know have been very biased in protecting the company... so that video was a luck the functioning of a constitutional democracy...

From that point of view, all videos should go back online...
(Maybe the filming dab driver should remove all evidences that might identify him....)

NB: Since someone asked for the Ourense-Santiago video: The original one seems not to be online any more, but others came in:
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggF8J4YFLTQ (the last 7km....)
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmXaUlWyQs (not the entire line)
krisu99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #2837
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
We can't forget that what has been put now into service in Vigo is just the first phase of the new railway scheme of the city.
A question about Vigo: When I was there a couple of years ago I noticed that the bus station was quite a distance from the city centre, and that it was nowhere near the train station...
Is this set to improve? I would deal it logical that buses to important places not served by rail would leave from somewhere near the train station...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #2838
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post

Note that the top graphic shows the new fast services, using the new Vigo-Urzaiz station, the new sections between Vigo and Arcade, and between Vilagarcía and A Escravitude (using the new Padrón-Barbanza station and the river Ulla viaduct).

While the bottom graphic shows the remaining regional trains which will reach Vigo Guixar station, and will keep on using the old classic sections and call at more stations.
What I notice is that:
- Service levels are rather low. Is that why so much money was spend?
- There is little or no coordination between services. Since the fast trains all pass through Santiago at xx:30 I would expect the locals on Santiago - Vilagarcia to leave Santiago at something like xx:35.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #2839
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
What I notice is that:
- There is little or no coordination between services. Since the fast trains all pass through Santiago at xx:30 I would expect the locals on Santiago - Vilagarcia to leave Santiago at something like xx:35.
Yes, by Swiss standards and I wrote about it above nevertheless we need to recognise that what you see now is a significantly higher level of service than just last year when I was there. Hopefully it's set to improve further in the future. Perhaps 437.001 guess about there not being enough trains for more service is a right one.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #2840
Sister Greed U

Quote:
What I notice is that:
No. This is an unfinished line.
Nortwestern Spain, and more generally speaking, all of Spain, is so montainous that one stretch alone will do little.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, by Swiss standards and I wrote about it above nevertheless we need to recognise that what you see now is a significantly higher level of service than just last year when I was there. Hopefully it's set to improve further in the future. Perhaps 437.001 guess about there not being enough trains for more service is a right one.
There are not lots of trains left now.

And it will be more of a trouble by the end of the year.

To give you an example, this Easter, Renfe was burning candles to their choicest saint, because they had ALL the AVE/Alvia rolling stock running.
And there was one train that went broke, an AVE Malaga-Madrid (and rumour has it that with an ex-PM inside ).
But they sold out all the tickets, which was a good thing.

They need more trains, though.

Last edited by 437.001; April 27th, 2015 at 08:55 PM.

Tags
alicante, ave, canfranc, high speed rail, spain in the world