daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #2841
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
No. This is an unfinished line.
Nortwestern Spain, and more generally speaking, all of Spain, is so montainous that one stretch alone will do little.
It's almost finished now, isn't it? All that is left is the southern connection from Vigo and some other small bits perhaps. Sure also the line from Ourense to Madrid, but that's not relevant for most of the traffic.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #2842
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

Well actually it IS. At the moment they have only the services from Corunna to Vigo via Santiago and Pontevedra, which is okay, but not all they can get.
Once they get over the municipal elections so they can by-pass the barks of the mayor of Vigo, they'll have the Alvias to Madrid and Barcelona.
That's like three-four extra trains. Not a lot, for now.

But another thing is getting more trains in.

Ferrol could be an option if it were electrified and had a by-pass at Betanzos (which would be tremendously useful but for some unknown reason Adif keeps pushing away).
Aother option would be Porto (Portugal), or even Lisbon, if they did the upgrade and electrification between Nine and Guillarei.

But right now, there is little else you can attract into the line, because of travel time and/or lack of bi-modal trains, or lack of trains in general.

But by the end of the year the HSL section between the Olmedo junction and Zamora should be ready. Not that one can expect tons of new passengers, but at least that will decrease the travel time and lure more new passengers in.

The big leap will come with the opening of Zamora-Ourense, which is the most difficult, mountainous and expensive section of all this project, and will be a HUGE boost for passenger rail in NW Spain.
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #2843
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
There are not lots of trains left now.
For the published timetable they would need three trains. So they have that. However for a full, hourly service they would only need three trains as well...

So they do appear to have the trains, just not the vision...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #2844
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

With 1,5 million people living within a 30 min distance from the new railway between A Coruña and Vigo, if compared to many other railways in Europe, there should be enough demand for a 30 minute headway with 15 min during rush hour.
The main problem now is integration with buses and cars, lack of parking for people driving from their house in the outskirts and no fair-integration with the local bus-companies is a big hinder for people looking for convenience.
I don't think the HSR-line from Madrid will make that much of a difference, if done right I suspect 80-90% of the demand for this railway will be of local and regional character. The question is now if that demand will be serviced?

Unfortunately, for many reasons such as centralized planning mentality, lack of strategic integration of transport systems and a historic neglect towards regional train services, I don't see much future in this railway unless RENFE step away and the local governments together with the Galician government create a new holistic transport agency, something similar to EMT in Barcelona, integrating all municipalities along the railway corridor.

Last edited by gincan; April 28th, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #2845
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
With 1,5 million people living within a 30 min distance from the new railway between A Coruña and Vigo, if compared to many other railways in Europe, there should be enough demand for a 30 minute headway with 15 min during rush hour.
The main problem now is integration with buses and cars, lack of parking for people driving from their house in the outskirts and no fair-integration with the local bus-companies is a big hinder for people looking for convenience.
I don't think the HSR-line from Madrid will make that much of a difference, if done right I suspect 80-90% of the demand for this railway will be of local and regional character. The question is now if that demand will be serviced?
That's exactly what I was saying. What's the realistic maximum number of trains to Madrid per day when the line is finished? Given the population (quite a bit less than Andalusia or Barcelona) about 8 per direction would probably be it. Let's generously add another 4 Alvias to other long distance destinations. That's only 12 trains. On the other hand a normal full schedule between A Coruna and Vigo would be a fast regional train once an hour and all stopping local train once an hour from 6 am till midnight for a total of 36 trains. It's a bit more complex than that, but you get an idea.
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #2846
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Another cab ride, on the Pajares Pass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUJvi6gEyqE

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #2847
Metred

Likes (Received): 4356

Euskotren EMU over the river Urola, near Zumaia in the Bilbao-Donostia line (Basque Country).

UT900 Atravesando la ria by Giputrains, en Flickr
Old May 27th, 2015, 06:35 AM   #2848
Msr1

Likes (Received): 1

I hope that my question is not completely misplaced, but: is there an overview of the seats on AVE S-100 that are alligned to window? I have gotten a reservation for a window seat on the trip from France to Madrid that should in theory give me the opportunity to take photos of the landscape (due to my interest in botanics, it is some importance for me to take photos that show the change in the vegetation). However, it appears that some window seats are besides plastic walls. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out which window seats are actually window seats (or if Seat 94 in Coach 8 can fit a DSLR to the window?)
Msr1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #2849
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Unfortunately most modern trains are built without caring where seats are placed. On that particular line it should be better to use Paris-Barcelona TGVs, on which seats are mostly aligned with windows (at least on the coach I took, the lower floor of a first class one IIRC).

Then, in most Spanish trains most seats can turned by railway personnel so to be facing the direction of travel. This means that the same seat number may belong to a window seat or to a blind seat depending how the seat is turned.

If I had to choose a seat without knowing how the coach is built, I would chose one seat on the extremities of the coach, as usually the first row of seats is placed parallel to the window, but then the distance between seats and between windows is not the same so from the second row on seats are placed randomly. However, that's not mean that all end seats are near windows as there might be a luggage rack before them, but it's is quite possible.

It is cheaper to built trains as such as the same coach structure can be used for all interiors (first class, second class, ...), however is a mockery (I would even say fraud) to sell blind seats as "near a window".

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:22 PM   #2850
Trenponfe

Likes (Received): 187

Ballast clearing machine with a ballast tamper towed by G&O 321.046 in Pinar de las Rozas and Las Matas (Madrid).
Trenponfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #2851
Sunfuns

Continued from HS thread about local railways in Andalusia...

Seville to Huelva - in my opinion potentially a very useful regional line between a large and a medium size city. Currently 1 h 30 min by train with 6 intermediate stations. A bit slower than driving, but not so much that taking a train makes no sense. Sounds fine, but why are there only 4 trains per direction at random and mostly useless times? I suspect not many people use those, but it's a chicken and egg problem. I like trains, but I wouldn't use regularly either with timing and frequencies like that...

437.001 liked this post
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:03 AM   #2852
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Renfe lacks small trains that could serve a lot of minor lines with decent timetables...

437.001 liked this post
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #2853
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Continued from HS thread about local railways in Andalusia...

Seville to Huelva - in my opinion potentially a very useful regional line between a large and a medium size city. Currently 1 h 30 min by train with 6 intermediate stations. A bit slower than driving, but not so much that taking a train makes no sense. Sounds fine, but why are there only 4 trains per direction at random and mostly useless times? I suspect not many people use those, but it's a chicken and egg problem. I like trains, but I wouldn't use regularly either with timing and frequencies like that...
Ha, ha, haaaa...

You've hit it!!!

One of the problems at Renfe's, is that they've stuck to the historical timetables.

Were there three trains fourty years ago, regardless of the population?
Let's keep them. No matter if the population has doubled (or shrunken).

Why these trains skip these stations for no reason at all, when these stations could attract more new passengers into the line?
Let's not worry about that, we don't know wether these new stations would attract so many passengers.

Do we have to buy new trains to get a better service for the X line?
That's money, so let's better save it by not buying them.

That's the general mentality.

On the other hand, we're no millionaires, and some lines wouldn't be a gold mine of passengers anyway, that's true.

That said, another question... why there never was a station in the town X or the quarter Y?
No one knows. No one asks the question. Why do you ask now?

Talking about the Seville to Huelva line, the line is not very competitive with the motorway.
Because the motorway runs straight, while the railway line has to do a big V bend to avoid the Aljarafe hills just west of Seville to, right after, dive to cross river Guadiamar at Aznalcazar. That doesn't save time, and the solution would be rather expensive, and useful only for Long Distance trains, since regional trains would use the current line, on which there are also commuter trains.

Sometimes, Renfe works and thinks by inertia.

pai nosso liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; June 17th, 2015 at 02:33 PM.
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #2854
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

The line to Huelva might become more useful if they straighten it up and build an extension to connect with the CP line near the Portuguese border, linking both countries and allowing (after electrification east of Faro), Lisboa-Sevilla trains.
Old June 17th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #2855
Sister Greed U

For how many passengers? Faro is not a big city...
There was never any bridge connection over the Guadiana between Andalusia and the Algarve until the 1990s, when a road bridge was built.
There were railways on both sides, on the Portuguese side the line still exists till Vila Real de Santo António, but on the Spanish side the Gibraleón-Ayamonte line was closed and dismantled in 1988... and anyway, they never had any physical connection.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:18 AM   #2856
Sister Greed U

A class 465 EMU leaves El Cáñamo station, then calls at La Rinconada station, then leaves bound for Seville-Santa Justa and Utrera, on a C1 service (Cercanías Renfe/commuter rail).

Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:32 AM   #2857
Sister Greed U

(Delayed) News!!

Class 490 trains (Alaris) were finally withdrawn from service in December 2014.
Their troubles with the bogies have finally paid their toll.
These trains are infamous for having been part of the Platja de Castelldefels tragedy, where 12 people who were imprudently crossing the tracks at said station were run over by an Alaris on an Alicante to Barcelona service, just five years ago.
One of the shortest-lived series in Spain, definitely...

Richard_P liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; June 23rd, 2015 at 12:50 AM.
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 03:05 AM   #2858
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

It is a pity!
I eally liked those trains...

What is RENFE going to do with these trains?
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 04:44 AM   #2859
Sister Greed U

Scrap them.
Up till December 2014 they had tried and tried it with 3 Alaris (between Valencia and Alcazar), but the problems with the bogies kept on reappearing, so...
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM   #2860
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2586

How far those bogies are different from other Pendolino-ish family? Are they complete new construction for Iberian gauge or we can expect similar things with other Pendolino trains? What seems to be problem with those bogies (cracks or mechanical failure)?
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alicante, ave, canfranc, high speed rail, spain in the world