daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #2961
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Such a service on a so long line with just two trains is very hard. Certainly they have to use both units at the same time, without a reserve unit.
I don't know.
They say 10 trains per day on Lleida-Balaguer, three of them continuing up to La Pobla de Segur.
Could that allow for operating with just one train, the other on the reserve? Mystery.
I think that before the service was cut, they used to operate with two/three 592 DMUs.

Quote:
Will FGC buy some old 592 units from Renfe?
Definitely not. Class 592 DMUs are too old.

Quote:
Will it just rend them when needed (planned maintenance of the GTWs), but without a reserve ready in case of breakdowns?
I don't know.

Quote:
Will it replace trains with buses?
I don't find this unlikely.

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #2962
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
The new class 331 DMUs have been built by Stadler.
It is kind of remarkable considering Spain has been going through hard times and there just happen to be a train factory in Santa Perpètua that is under constant threat of being closed down.

But well, in my book, Stadler is anyway better than Alstom in every conceivable way.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #2963
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
It is kind of remarkable considering Spain has been going through hard times and there just happen to be a train factory in Santa Perpètua that is under constant threat of being closed down.
Not really. It seems that FGC had to struggle a bit to find a firm that was able to build such a small number of trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
But well, in my book, Stadler is anyway better than Alstom in every conceivable way.
That's debatable. Although I admit I have yet to use these new FGC trains.

But these are not the first Stadler trains that FGC has in stock, and the other Stadler trains (all rack railways) are not the most favourite.
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #2964
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

These look similar to some regional trains we have (except EMU instead of DMU). They are fine, albeit nothing particularly amazing.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #2965
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=532

Atlantic Corridor ERTMS deployment underway
Friday, January 29, 2016

A consortium of Alstom, CAF, and Siemens has begun the work to install ERTMS on the Atlantic Corridor in Galicia, the 155km-long high-speed line which connects A Coruña with Santiago and Vigo

Spanish infrastructure manager Adif awarded the ETCS Level 1 contract last August, three months after the line was completed. The contract includes the installation of the traffic management system at a cost of €37.5m, along with a 20-year maintenance package worth €25m

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

pai nosso liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #2966
Sunfuns

They are saying more than million passengers in half a year. That translates to about 6,000 passengers per day. I think that's really good for a single line considering that none of the cities involved are really large.
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #2967
Sister Greed U

First test for the new class 331 DMUs for FGC.

dimlys1994 liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #2968
Metred

Likes (Received): 4356

Feve Robla Express train in the Bilbao-León line through province of Burgos.

Expreso de La Robla Bilbao-León pasando por Bercedo de Montija (Burgos) by Jose Ignacio Esnarriaga San Jose, en Flickr

437.001, dimlys1994, pai nosso liked this post
Metred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #2969
Metred

Renfe Talgo passanger rail near Sitges

Talgo 1102 @ Sitges by Wesley van Drongelen, en Flickr
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:30 AM   #2970
Metred

Feve passanger rail from Oviedo to Gijón (Asturias)

Ligero 3100 by MACD 3, en Flickr
Old April 13th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #2971

Likes (Received): 1439

As a frequent visitor to Marbella; I wonder if there are any plans to build a railway along the Costa Del Sol?
A line from Malaga - Malaga Airport - Mijas/Fuengirola - Marbella - San Pedro - Estepona - Algeciras for example.

Should be enough people to make it justifiable, also the port of Algeciras could be upgraded and be able to handle more cargo.

In the future the line could extend to Cadiz, Huelva and Portugal. But a intercity line between the Costa Del Sol towns would be great.

Any plans of that getting built?

arctic_carlos liked this post
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #2972
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3955

There's already a Málaga - Málaga Airport - Fuengirola commuter rail line. There are plans to extend it to Marbella and perhaps Estepona, but we won't see anything in the short term due to lack of funding.

We have to bear in mind that most of the Costa del Sol is overbuilt, so the new line between Fuengirola and Marbella will have to be built like 90% underground, which will be very costly.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #2973
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
There's already a Málaga - Málaga Airport - Fuengirola commuter rail line. There are plans to extend it to Marbella and perhaps Estepona, but we won't see anything in the short term due to lack of funding.

We have to bear in mind that most of the Costa del Sol is overbuilt, so the new line between Fuengirola and Marbella will have to be built like 90% underground, which will be very costly.
True, but a section from Fuengirola to Marbella would only have 27 kilometres and the area is guaranteed to produce decent numbers of passengers, as the area is densely populated. I think it is still a better priority than some of Spain´s other rail investments. The only sad part is, indeed, the issue of costs.

arctic_carlos liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #2974
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Fuengirola - Marbella - Estepona railway line

The local press has published in the last few days some articles about this project.

To sum up, the Spanish government is studying two different alternatives to extend the current line from Fuengirola to Marbella (first phase) and to Estepona (second phase).
  • In the first alternative, the line would be 99% underground between Fuengirola and Estepona (52.9 km). Approximate cost: 3.6 billion €
  • In the second alternative, the line would be 70% underground (38.5 km out of 55.2 km). Approximate cost: 2.7 billion € (just the underground section)

The main problem in the second alternative is that the line wouldn't be totally built alongside the coast and the urban centers, but partially following AP-7 motorway, further inland. At least in Marbella and Estepona it would have stations in its urban centers, but it seems in the rest of towns of the corridor it would be built far from the built-up areas. That's why it would be a little longer and some parts could be built above ground. However, the number of potential users would be significantly lower than in the first alternative, as it wouldn't serve the most populated urban centers.

The first alternative would of course give a better service to commuters and tourists, but its prohibitive construction costs could delay the project or even just postpone it until the next century. Therefore I assume we'll have to fight for the cheaper second alternative, which is more realistic given the current financial situation of our country. Even if stations are built out of the urban centers, good bus services can be established communicating these stations to urban centers, so it's not the end of the world, and at least there would be rail service in the crowded Costa del Sol corridor.

Another important aspect is that the mostly underground alternative envisages the possibility of continuing the line towards the area of Algeciras/Gibraltar, while the cheaper one doesn't do so (that's weird). And finally there's another issue, not so crucial but also important: what to do with the current Málaga - Fuengirola line, which is not prepared for any new extension bringing loads of passengers. It's still partially single tracked and has too many stations, so future services from Málaga to Marbella and Estepona can't be fast and become a real alternative unless a big investment is done there.

Here you can see a map with both alternatives drawn on it (sorry for its bad quality, but at least you can have an idea of the project):

And two press articles in Spanish explaining the different alternatives:

Quote:
Fomento estudia un túnel para llevar el tren a Estepona de 52 kilómetros

Es una de las dos alternativas para prolongar el ferrocarril desde el municipio de Fuengirola. La solución mixta que se proyecta, de 55,2 kilómetros, rebaja la parte subterránea al 70% del recorrido.

http://www.malagahoy.es/article/mala...ilometros.html
Quote:
Fomento asume las tesis de la Junta y se decanta por llevar soterrado el tren a Marbella

Desechó los proyectos del Gobierno andaluz por el alto coste de la obra. La alternativa que ahora cree "más adecuada" superaría los 3.600.

http://www.malagahoy.es/article/mala.../marbella.html

Bertolt Brecht

krisu99, pai nosso liked this post
Old April 14th, 2016, 09:27 PM   #2975
Sunfuns

I'd advise postponing for 5-10 years with a hope that economic situation is better plus all the other rail mega projects are already finished. The route with stations is town centres would clearly be used by many more people.

You could probably learn something from Italy and their Genoa-Ventimiglia line which has been mostly rebuilt underground. At great expense of course, but it is much faster now than it used to be.
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #2976

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post

Huh! I never knew that. Might be I didn't know to look for it. But thanks for the info.

And great to see that there are plans to extend it.
Would there be a station near Puerto Banus/Nueva Andalucia in the plans aswell?
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:55 AM   #2977

Btw, speaking of coastal rail lines.
I see there are some plans to have high speed rail between Malaga and Alicante. And also between Valencia and Barcelona.
But why not between Alicante and Valencia?

A high-speed line along the coast from Malaga to Barcelona would be pretty cool and probably well used.
Old April 16th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #2978
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
But why not between Alicante and Valencia?
A couple of years ago I travelled from Alicante to Valencia, it took less than two hours, at present the shortest travel time is 1 hour 30 minutes, not bad. They use high speed trains, the line is a bit curvy (via Villena and Xativa), but still it IS a high speed line. The coastal line wouldn't be much shorter, the straight line would be very expensive to build, look at the mountains there. I think the existing solution is quite a good compromise, isn't it?
Old April 16th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #2979

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu01 View Post
A couple of years ago I travelled from Alicante to Valencia, it took less than two hours, at present the shortest travel time is 1 hour 30 minutes, not bad. They use high speed trains, the line is a bit curvy (via Villena and Xativa), but still it IS a high speed line. The coastal line wouldn't be much shorter, the straight line would be very expensive to build, look at the mountains there. I think the existing solution is quite a good compromise, isn't it?
Ah, I saw a map and it looked like it was a gap there. I trust you then.
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #2980
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Not exactly. When talking about High Speed Rail (HSR) it's important to differentiate between services and infrastructure. I'll try to answer to your questions:

1) Currently there are seasonal HSR services (AVE) between Málaga and both Alicante and Valencia (as well as from Seville to Alicante and Valencia). But there's no High Speed Line (HSL) Málaga - Alicante. Those services I mention use the HSL Madrid - Málaga and then the HSL Madrid - Alicante / Valencia. They don't enter in Madrid because there's a junction between both lines 50 km south of the capital. To sum up: AVE services Málaga - Alicante go via Córdoba, Ciudad Real, Cuenca and Albacete, instead of following the Mediterranean coast between both cities (where there's neither HSR nor classic rail).

2) Regarding a possible line following the Mediterranean coast between Málaga and Alicante, geography is too complicated between Málaga and Almería to build it (and between Nerja and El Ejido the population is not that high). There's a HSL under construction between Antequera (on Madrid - Málaga HSL) and Granada, as well as another HSL under construction between Alicante and Murcia. There's also a project of building a HSL between Murcia and Almería (with some parts also under construction), but in the short term nothing will be done between Granada and Almería. Perhaps the classic line will be upgraded, but it does'n follow the coastline.

3) Regarding Valencia - Barcelona, there's no proper HSL linking both cities. There's just a classic line that has been upgraded to speeds up to 220 km/h in some sections (although trains there have a maximum speed of 200 km/h). You can count that as HSR, but so far only in some sections of the line. Besides, said upgrade is yet to be completed, and currently there are massive works taking place between Valencia and Castellón. On top of that, a new bypass is being built between Vandellòs and Camp de Tarragona station in the Madrid - Barcelona HSL. Once this new bypass is finished, services between Barcelona and Valencia will use the Madrid - Barcelona HSL between Barcelona and Camp de Tarragona, where they will switch to the new bypass line up to Vandellòs, and from there to Valencia they will use the upgraded classic line. Is it that HSR? Perhaps. But it's not a full HSL, at least between Vandellòs and Valencia.

4) And finally, with regards to Valencia - Alicante, the situation is not exactly what has been described in a few posts above mine:

On the one hand, we have a project to build a new line following the coast. That won't be HSR but something like a classic line with speeds up to 160 km/h, if possible. That new line would actually be an extension of the current Valencia - Gandia classic line, which in turn will be doubled between Cullera and Gandia. Between Gandia and Denia there's no rail whatsoever, but between Denia and Alicate there's a metric gauge line. The latter will probably be partially regauged to standard or Iberian gauge, but unfortunately only small sections of it can be used, as it's very curvy. In any case, someday there will be a brand new line at least between Alicante and Benidorm, but only God knows when it will be built. To sum up, there are plans to build a coastal line Valencia - Gandia - Denia - Benidorm - Alicante, but that's in an early stage of planning.

On the other hand, we have the traditional route between Valencia and Alicante. That's Valencia - Xativa - La Encina junction - Villena - Alicante. In this case we can also find different stages of completion. Between Valencia and Xative there's a HSL under construction, so currently all trains use the classic line. Xativa - La Encina was upgraded in the 90s to speeds up to 220 km/h, but the line is to be regauged to standard gauge once Valencia - Xativa is completed. Between La Encina and Alicante there's a HSL (part of the Madrid - Alicante HSL), but this HSL is not yet connected in La Encina to the upgraded line that goes towards Valencia. This connection is under construction and will be finished once there's standard gauge between Valencia and La Encina via Xativa. That means that currently Valencia - Alicante trains can't use the HSL between La Encina and Alicante and must use the classic line via Villena. Fortunately that will change in a couple of years. To sum up, there will be HSR services Valencia - Xativa - Villena - Alicante in the short term, but currently all services have to use classic lines (although a small portion between La Encina and Xativa is already upgraded and will be part of a HSL in the short term).

I hope I've cleared some doubts, in any case don't hesitate in asking here should you have other inquires.

Bertolt Brecht

Sunfuns, eu01, Robi_damian, Jordbcn liked this post

Tags
alicante, ave, canfranc, high speed rail, spain in the world