daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #901
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The price of comfortable cabins (not couchettes where you share space with strangers, something that will not get a grip with high-income costumers) is way too high anyway. The lure of € 80 MAD-FRA flights will preclude any viable train service in the route.
There are people who travel across europe in overnight buses. Sure these people could be tempted to do the trip in a couchette. However, on most existing night trains it's the double cabins that sell out first. So it appears that there is still a demand for it, there is still a market. After all, the only thing that brings you to Zürich in time for a 9AM meeting is the night train...
And wait till oil hits 200$ a barrel or more, and see how many 80€ FRA-MAD flights you'll see offered.

Quote:
If people don't travel anymore in significant number in night trains on shorter routes, why would them travel in longer distance routes? The marginal time advantage of plane is even higher for those long-distance (train) routes compared to short-haul flights, as the proportion of fixes time used in security and check-in at airports is essentially the same.
The trains that recently were cut were all quite popular. They were cut for one of two reasons:
- The operating railways want to force their customers on high speed trains. (France and Belgium are a good example)
- The operating companies are incompetent. (Italy)

A competent railway like DB aparently stil an make money on night trains. They even expanded quite heavily in to the Netherlands recently, one of the few countries that is quite open to foreign operators.

Quote:
So I highly doubt night-trains, cost-inefficient as they are (if they were to compete with hotels in comfort with single en-suites with private bathrooms albeit small), will have a comeback in Europe.
I think that on the routes to/from the Spanish coast there would be a very nice market. Maybe not for a daily train. But consider that a lot of pensioners from northern parts of Europe spend the winter there. A train allows you to take with you a lot more luggage than a plane, which is a major advantage when you're going to Spain for three months. Make it a motorrail service and it will even be more popular. Pensioners have time, so getting there as fast as possible is not a big issue.
So a train from points in northwestern Europe, that goes directly to Barcelona and then follows the coast south, ending in Alicante might have market.

Last edited by K_; June 20th, 2010 at 06:29 PM.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #902
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Freight trains will use the tunnel in Girona, or will have a surface route outside the city? The existing railway viaduct and station will be replaced by the tunnel (that would be double gauge) or will be maintained?

Thanks in advance
The viaduct was supposed to be replaced by a tunnel, now it has been put on hold. So for some years the city will have both the HSR tunnel and the viaduct with their corresponding trainstations. Until the HSR tunnel is finished, freight trains will use the viaduct. There are no plans to construct a by-pass around Girona.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:19 AM   #903
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

I hope that this time, my post is not out of date

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM   #904
Andres_Low

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

The price of comfortable cabins (not couchettes where you share space with strangers, something that will not get a grip with high-income costumers) is way too high anyway. The lure of € 80 MAD-FRA flights will preclude any viable train service in the route.

I believe new formulas will be invented since the HSR mania started in western Europe. Like high capacity trains are being designed to offer low cost seats also could offer low cost cabins. Who knows, in rail bussines boosting the offer increase the demand.
Andres_Low no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:21 AM   #905
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres_Low View Post
Who knows, in rail bussines boosting the offer increase the demand.
That might be the case with regional or metropolitan services. As for long-distance travel (like Madrid-Frankfurt), I don't think that boosting offer would attract a crowd right away (almost nobody drives in this route, almost everyone takes a 70min flight).

Still, I think that - as you said - new business models might emerge emulating what happens with air traffic, particularly if true competition on HSR ensures.

For instance, they could try 2+3 seat arrangement with a smaller pitch (distance to the seat in front of you) in some cars and sell them as a sort of 3rd class.

Then you could have 1000 pax train sets.

In France they have the iTGV, which seems to be doing fairly well. They sell tickets only through the Internet, which are usually non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM   #906
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
That might be the case with regional or metropolitan services. As for long-distance travel (like Madrid-Frankfurt), I don't think that boosting offer would attract a crowd right away (almost nobody drives in this route, almost everyone takes a 70min flight).
Don't say that to fast. I wouldn't be surprised if more people actually did drive that rather then fly. There are even thousands who travel from Germany to Spain every summer in buses.
The car is still the most common mode of going on holiday in Europe. That's the competition.

Quote:
For instance, they could try 2+3 seat arrangement with a smaller pitch (distance to the seat in front of you) in some cars and sell them as a sort of 3rd class.

Then you could have 1000 pax train sets.
1000 pax trainsets already exist. And you don't need 2+3 seat arrangements for them....
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #907
jovibo

Likes (Received): 18

Yesterday, the new AVE trains (Renfe AVE new series S112) for the corridor Madrid-Valencia were presented to the press (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2010/0...277794888.html and http://www.lasprovincias.es/20100629...006291125.html). They will begin commercial runs at the end of the year.
Regards.
jovibo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #908
Andres_Low

I just came across this article in english, video is in spanish though.

how did Talgo manage to get over 50 seats more? They got rid of "clase preferente"?

http://en.lacerca.com/news/castilla_...d-64643-1.html
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #909
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

There are only the Club and Turista classes (1st and 3rd).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #910
Andres_Low

Hope there´s room enough for luggage such as beach balls and umbrellas in summer season
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:01 AM   #911
Suburbanist
on the road

They should limit luggage for train passenger like Eurostar does. 2 pieces per paying adult + what you can hold in your lap.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:23 AM   #912
Coccodrillo

I take the train instead of airplanes exactly because railways are less paranoic.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old July 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #913
Andres_Low

Quote:
They should limit luggage for train passenger like Eurostar does. 2 pieces per paying adult + what you can hold in your lap.
Why? you don´t wanna pay for every extra kilo like if it was a cheap airline... do you? Long distance is limited already but it is pretty flexible.

Last edited by Andres_Low; July 11th, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #914
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres_Low View Post
Why? you don´t wanna pay for every extra kilo like if it was a cheap airline... do you? Long distance is limited already but it is pretty flexible.
I proposed a reasonable piece limit, just to avoid the kind of abuse I've seen once: a student carrying two bags, one guitar, a surfboard and something else abroad a high-speed train and literally forcing whomever was sited at her side/in front of her to give up their reserved seats and find other seats because the girl could barely handle all her stuff.

Just that. I'm not suggesting weighting bags, just curbing the number of them and forbidding oversize things.
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #915
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

To get this thread on track, here are some timelapses from the construction of the HSR line through Barcelona, this is a rather massive construction site with several construction projects under way simultaneously.

The first and second one are from february 2009

The third one is from april and may 2009

The fourth one is from july 2009

This one is a compilation from the whole 2009.

An the final one is from april and may 2010

More of the same can be found at the official website for this construction project, just go to multimedia and use the magnifier.

http://www.barcelonasagrera.com/default.asp

Last edited by gincan; July 16th, 2010 at 12:25 AM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #916
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

I've always wondered if it was possible to built a high speed train capable of hauling containerized freight. I suppose it wouldn't be economical otherwise it would be done already.

But for some specialty cargo like time-sensitive packages or fresh produce could it work? I'm sure there's some wealthy European country looking to increase its "green" cred and subsidize such a thing even if it runs at a huge loss.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #917
Coccodrillo

It is nearly impossible to alternate high speed (300 km/h) and freight (100 km/h) on the same line at the same moment, but on a few HS lines in Italy and Germany freight trains run at night. But this require an expensive ifnrastructure: HSL need to be straight, but can have steep gradients (up to 4%), instead freight lines may be curvy, but must be as flat as possible (if possible no more than 1,2%). A mixed line has to be both straight and with low gradients. Running light freight trains at 300 km/h would be possible but very expensive.

Old July 16th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #918
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
It is nearly impossible to alternate high speed (300 km/h) and freight (100 km/h) on the same line at the same moment, but on a few HS lines in Italy and Germany freight trains run at night. But this require an expensive ifnrastructure: HSL need to be straight, but can have steep gradients (up to 4%), instead freight lines may be curvy, but must be as flat as possible (if possible no more than 1,2%). A mixed line has to be both straight and with low gradients. Running light freight trains at 300 km/h would be possible but very expensive.
France has TGV Le Poste. Obviously more expensive than slow freight trains (low axle loads and high power), but probably cheaper than air mail.

How is loading and unloading in intermediate stops handled? And can fresh produce be mailed by TGV?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #919
Coccodrillo

Only express mail can afford the cost of high speed trains.

Freight like perishable products (fruit, food) can travel on traditional railways. There are already services like Murcia (Spain)-London.

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #920
ETR401
Ghost In The Machine

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I've always wondered if it was possible to built a high speed train capable of hauling containerized freight. I suppose it wouldn't be economical otherwise it would be done already.

But for some specialty cargo like time-sensitive packages or fresh produce could it work? I'm sure there's some wealthy European country looking to increase its "green" cred and subsidize such a thing even if it runs at a huge loss.
Somebody (somehow) seems to agree....
Check this out http://www.eurocarex.com/

Tags
alicante, ave, canfranc, high speed rail, spain in the world