daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1781
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Tx for videos.

A huge former international station with only two daily trains today.

As first time in the history, a touristic train ran for five days.

Hope to see it next summer.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:12 AM   #1782
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

A class 592 DMU, on a Cercanías Renfe commuter service (line C1) bound for Alicante, at Murcia station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioytomas View Post
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:41 AM   #1783
pedrorizza
Engenharia Civil

Likes (Received): 1

I love trains! It's beautiful.
/ /\ \| __| __| | _ /| |_ /_ / _` |
/ ____ \ |_| |_ _ | | \ \| |/ / / / (_| |
/_/ \_\__|\__(_) |_| \_\_/___/___\__,_|
pedrorizza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1784
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

The El Canfranero train livery looks like the Orient Express one. I wonder if at one time they were related?

Nice train nevertheless.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1785
Sister Greed U

News: EMU trains class 490 (Alaris) have been withdrawn from service, seemingly due to some problems with the bogies.
We hope it´s a temporary measure.

They´ve been replaced with available material (Talgo, Arco, S-121, S-599...).
Old August 24th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #1786
Sister Greed U

Here´s proof: Intercity 0582 Albacete-Valencia (formerly an Alaris), calling at Almansa station, with loco 252-059-1 pulling three Arco coaches.
They have replaced the Alaris served by a class S-490 EMUs since their withdrawal from service:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencenico71 View Post

Old August 24th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #1787
Sister Greed U

Cartagena-Feve station.
A class 2900 automotor, usual material at the Cartagena-Los Nietos narrow gauge line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioytomas View Post

kyah117 liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #1788
Sister Greed U

Barcelona to Mataró line.
Between Cabrera de Mar-Vilassar de Mar and Mataró stations.

This line is the oldest railway in Spain, built in 1848, all along the sea.
That was cheap, back then, but it´s become a problem over the years, since the line is fragile, and it is very very difficult to increase capacity (which is needed).

This is an excellent, and very unusual video.

It shows the fight of Renfe staff against the worst enemy of the line: gale.
Gale can cut the service on the line completely, making it a mess in the rush hour (the line gets very busy at peaks).

pccvspw999, joinmanzano liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #1789
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Amazing video indeed! There must be tons of problems with corrosion... Have there been any solutions proposed? Moving the line 30-50 m inland (lot of houses?) or building a viaduct 3-4 m high perhaps?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1790
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Amazing video indeed! There must be tons of problems with corrosion... Have there been any solutions proposed? Moving the line 30-50 m inland (lot of houses?) or building a viaduct 3-4 m high perhaps?
There are plans to build a new line further inland, but a couple of KM I think. Even though a viaduct would alleviate problems and actually allow easier access to the beaches, building an elevate construction along the Maresme coast would be an even bigger crime than some of the visual medicide that has already taken place (Huge Chimneys, appartments on the beach almost etc)

They should cut the line north of Mataro (leaving a more sporadic service to places north of mataro) and change the current line into a tram and connect it to the besos system at Sant Andreu.

Money won't be available for anything but the basic maintenace though until at least 1000 years from now
Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #1791
Sister Greed U

Quote:
There was talk about building a new line inland. Nothing serious, obviously, as it would involve HUGE tunnelling.

The problem is where to start, because this line follows the sea front from Sant Adrià de Besòs to Malgrat de Mar, like 50 km, more or less.

Every coastal town in the region of the Maresme (the coastal region north of Barcelona till the limit with the Girona province at Blanes, where the Maresme ends and the Costa Brava begins) has the railway barrier.

Right now, we can´t afford it, and we won´t in many many years, but the only solution to recover the sea front would be removing the railway to another place, inland.
Putting it in a viaduct would be a crime, aesthetically, though it would solve many problems, there´s no doubt about it.

And no, a tramway wouldn´t be a solution at all, since no tramway has the length of an 8-car Civia train, nor its capacity. The problem is that it is precisely that, capacity, the thing that this line needs the most.
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #1792
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Every coastal town in the region of the Maresme (the coastal region north of Barcelona till the limit with the Girona province at Blanes, where the Maresme ends and the Costa Brava begins) has the railway barrier.
I'm afraid I don't understand this part...

Sure tunnelling would the ultimate solution, but it's also clear that there is no money for it anytime soon so I didn't mention it. As you are probably aware Italians are slowly doing something very similar by moving their old line on the Ligurian coast (maybe not this close) between Genoa and Ventimiglia to a new line mostly in tunnels. It has taken decades and no doubt cost billions...
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #1793
Sister Greed U

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't understand this part...
For "railway barrier" I meant this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Line R1.
Sant Pol de Mar station.

Like many stations on this line, it´s on the beach:

Wikipedia: Enfo

Wikipedia: Enfo
The railway acts as a barrier, there are few overpasses or underpasses.

Quote:
Sure tunnelling would the ultimate solution, but it's also clear that there is no money for it anytime soon so I didn't mention it. As you are probably aware Italians are slowly doing something very similar by moving their old line on the Ligurian coast (maybe not this close) between Genoa and Ventimiglia to a new line mostly in tunnels. It has taken decades and no doubt cost billions...
Indeed, the cost of taking the Mataró line away from the coast would be crazy.
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1794
Sunfuns

Now I understand

Cost would be enormous, but it might happen some day in the more distant future anyway and if it does then the old right of way could be converted to marine promenades and bike paths. That's what happened in some Ligurian towns.
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #1795
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

The fact that both N-II and that railway were built in the same place makes me to think that there were no other way then, and probably there aren't other feasible solutions today but maybe a tunel under the current railway in the most conflictive points...
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #1796
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriK View Post
The fact that both N-II and that railway were built in the same place makes me to think that there were no other way then, and probably there aren't other feasible solutions today but maybe a tunel under the current railway in the most conflictive points...
I don´t understand what you´re talking about.
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1797
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

N-II and that railway were built along the same coastal corridor, they are at most, 200 meters away one from the another.

I might be completely wrong, but this makes me to think that, due to the orography, there aren't other natural corridors availlable near that railway to build a new railway so IMHO moving the railway further inland would be unaffordable (even if the current engineering is able to do it as opposed to when both infraestructures were built). Another option that could be feasible would be to put the railway partly underground in the most conflictive points but in the very same location.

I'm thinking in something similar to what they did in Leganés (but digging a bit to create the entrenchment that there was in Leganés to avoid raising the land level too much).

But I might be completely wrong, I think it could be a cheap and feasible solution, but maybe the leaking water could make it as unaffordable as the other solutions, or the disruption in the service during the works could be socially "unaffordable" as well.
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #1798
Metred

Likes (Received): 4356

Narrow-gauge Euskotren EMU 900 series (numbered UT 901, named "Lasarte-Oria") crossing a bridge over the river Bidasoa on the commuter line Lasarte-Hendaia (Basque Country)

joinmanzano, Sopomon liked this post
Metred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #1799
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

That's an international bridge, btw

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #1800
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriK View Post
N-II and that railway were built along the same coastal corridor, they are at most, 200 meters away one from the another.

I might be completely wrong, but this makes me to think that, due to the orography, there aren't other natural corridors availlable near that railway to build a new railway so IMHO moving the railway further inland would be unaffordable (even if the current engineering is able to do it as opposed to when both infraestructures were built). Another option that could be feasible would be to put the railway partly underground in the most conflictive points but in the very same location.

I'm thinking in something similar to what they did in Leganés (but digging a bit to create the entrenchment that there was in Leganés to avoid raising the land level too much).

But I might be completely wrong, I think it could be a cheap and feasible solution, but maybe the leaking water could make it as unaffordable as the other solutions, or the disruption in the service during the works could be socially "unaffordable" as well.
Both things would be really expensive; putting underground the current line is extremely costly as it runs just next to the sea, so the cost of building a tunnel there would be really high. On the other hand, if the line is moved a few kilometers inside, there are two possibilities: one would be to create an underground corridor running under all the urban centers; the other would be a mostly above ground line following the C-32 highway corridor. The problem with that solution is that all urban centers would be further than now from the railway, and therefore people would have a more difficult access to the stations.

In my opinion nothing can be done without causing much trouble to the users or spending a huge load of money. Perhaps a new mostly above ground line could be built between Barcelona and Mataró following the highway, but just for trains going norther than that city, which wouldn't stop between these two cities (or maybe only in a couple of stations, strategically located), in an express service. Local trains between Barcelona and Mataró would continue using the current line.

In addition, the line north of Arenys de Mar is single-tracked, which limits its capacity. Currently it's really difficult to double-tracking it, since a second track would invade the sea promenade or event the beach of a lot of towns. In the past that wouldn't have been a problem because people didn't care much about it, but nowadays most inhabitants and town halls of those towns would be strongly against it. So double-tracking unavoidably means tunneling under towns like Pineda, San Pol or Canet de Mar. Fortunately, north of Calella N-II is not directly located next to the railway, but a few kilometers inland, creating a wide corridor where tunneling wouldn't be difficult (and maybe some surface sections could be built).

Finally, it would be great if the line could be extended from Blanes to Lloret de Mar, this town needs a rail connection.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alicante, ave, canfranc, high speed rail, spain in the world