daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2010, 12:27 AM   #2061
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I’m not sure what has provoked such sniping from the country cousins in Wisconsin. You know, South Loop Neighbors is an actual group with actual positions and organized meetings and everything. It’s not just some random gits on the Internet. The group has never ever asked for more parking for any project, nor bemoaned the loss of a parking lot.
^ I realize that it's an actual group, and I really was just having a bit of fun. That's why I referred to it as a 'semi-humorous' rant
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2062
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I’m not sure what has provoked such sniping from the country cousins in Wisconsin. You know, South Loop Neighbors is an actual group with actual positions and organized meetings and everything. It’s not just some random gits on the Internet. The group has never ever asked for more parking for any project, nor bemoaned the loss of a parking lot.
I am pretty sure it was a shot at me becuase I said 3 years ago that I supported Larry Doody's position (along with a vast majority of S. Loopers) to require developers to provide 2 parking spaces for every unit. Apparently asking for two spaces in a new development replacing a parking lot means I would rather have the surface parking lot.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #2063
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
I am pretty sure it was a shot at me becuase I said 3 years ago that I supported Larry Doody's position (along with a vast majority of S. Loopers) to require developers to provide 2 parking spaces for every unit. Apparently asking for two spaces in a new development replacing a parking lot means I would rather have the surface parking lot.
It remains as completely idiotic a proposition now as it did then, and will continue to remain a horribly stupid idea in perpetuity. If "most" south loopers supported that idea then, then I will go ahead and restate my suspicion that most south loopers are dumb.

Lets just hope that such a ridiculous scheme is never implemented and goes the way of other ridiculous ideas like New Coke, repealing Medicare, and men wearing white wigs.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #2064
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Okay, men wearing white wigs was actually kind of cool now that I think about it. Who wouldn't want their founding fathers to look like that?
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #2065
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
It remains as completely idiotic a proposition now as it did then, and will continue to remain a horribly stupid idea in perpetuity. If "most" south loopers supported that idea then, then I will go ahead and restate my suspicion that most south loopers are dumb.
76.6% of votes in the 2nd ward supported the idea on the advisory ballot in the 2007 Feb election. Of the voters in Printers Row, 71.5% supported the idea.

I don't think it is an idiotic idea nor do I think most South Loopers are dumb. We urban residents don't need people from Wisconsin telling us we are dumb because we are too "dependent on cars."

I will say Fioretti telling developers at Franklin Point they must build low-density buildings (townhomes) at that site because the City has too many high rises is questionable though.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #2066
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Trader Joe's coming to Roosevelt and Wabash (Trailways Building)? Maybe.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:05 AM   #2067
robituss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
76.6% of votes in the 2nd ward supported the idea on the advisory ballot in the 2007 Feb election. Of the voters in Printers Row, 71.5% supported the idea.

I don't think it is an idiotic idea nor do I think most South Loopers are dumb. We urban residents don't need people from Wisconsin telling us we are dumb because we are too "dependent on cars."

I will say Fioretti telling developers at Franklin Point they must build low-density buildings (townhomes) at that site because the City has too many high rises is questionable though.
Well I live in the south loop and I think its a dumb idea to require two parking spots per unit. At least, i think its excessive. Depending on where you live in the south loop, if you work downtown (which most seem to) you can take the el at roosevelt, take one of many buses, ride a bike, or simply walk.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #2068
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.c...ence-hall.html

Columbia College plans South Loop residence hall
By Mary Ellen Podmolik

Columbia College Chicago said it will take over a South Loop apartment building and turn it into a residence hall, beginning this fall.

The college said it signed a five-year lease to operate a residence hall in the 16-story Dwight Lofts at 626 S. Clark St., which currently functions as an apartment building owned by ASB Capital Management of Bethesda, Md. The building has 771 beds in 178 loft-style units.
---
http://www.chicagojournal.com/News/0...ting_developer

Foreclosures sting developer
By MICAH MAIDENBERG

Three banks have filed foreclosure suits against Krzysztof Karbowski’s East Garfield Park and South Loop properties.
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2069
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Red Bull is apparently planning a wicked temporary BMX track on the Franklin Point site at Wells & Harrison.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #2070
spyguy
Expert

Interesting.

Does anyone have an update on the new Jones College Prep? I've heard that Perkins + Will is the architect, but I'm not entirely sure of that...
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2071
spyguy
Expert

Harrison & Wells for $41 million and now this:

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=37855

Rezmar site in South Loop up for sale again
A 60-acre South Loop development site once controlled by convicted political fundraiser Antoin “Tony” Rezko is back on the market. An affiliate of Luxembourg-based conglomerate General Mediterranean Holding SA (GMH) has hired CB Richard Ellis Inc. to sell the Riverside Park parcel at the southwest corner of Roosevelt Road and Clark Street. The property is being offered without an asking price, and GMH is willing to sell off a joint-venture stake or subdivide the land for parties that don’t want the entire site, says CB Richard Ellis Senior Associate Marcello Campanini. The GMH affiliate paid about $131 million for the parcel in 2005, acquiring it from Mr. Rezko’s development firm, Rezmar Corp., which had planned to build about 4,600 residential units and 670,000 square feet of retail space there. GMH hired brokers in 2006 to sell off 17 acres within the site but never consummated a deal. Attempts to reach a local GMH representative were unsuccessful. Newsletter Real Estate Alert first reported that the site has been put up for sale.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:19 AM   #2072
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagojournal.com/News/0...for_Jones_Prep

Land swap means funds for Jones Prep
School benefits from deal between archdiocese, city and CPS
04/21/2010 10:00 PM

By IAN FULLERTON

Jones Prep High School is on deck to receive some roundabout city subsidies. The city announced last week that the school would receive tax increment financing funds to assist in the school’s plans for a new eight-story facility in the South Loop.
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #2073
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
^No, though the (rather small) 14,000 sf size fits the one right across Wabash from the new building—it's 80 x 172. SEC Congress/Wabash (Auditorium Garage) might be another possibility, but I’d hate to see that site thrown away for a gym. It makes more sense for a pair of residential highrises that would look out over the Congress Hotel to Grant Park.
For only $5 million how permanent can this structure be?

http://www.roosevelttorch.com/sectio...ture-1.2241804

Field house future
By Dylan Heath

Roosevelt is working on plans to build a field house for the sports department to replace the parking lot on the corner of Congress and Wabash Ave., Roosevelt President Middleton announced at the ground breaking for the building that will replace the Herman Crown Center.
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #2074
Prairie Avenue

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Interesting.

Does anyone have an update on the new Jones College Prep? I've heard that Perkins + Will is the architect, but I'm not entirely sure of that...
That is correct. They have been selected. The current plan is to have Jones be constructed entirely on the former Pacific Mission footprint and hold 1200 students, up from the 800 capacity of the current Jones.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #2075
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
That is correct. They have been selected. The current plan is to have Jones be constructed entirely on the former Pacific Mission footprint and hold 1200 students, up from the 800 capacity of the current Jones.
^ What happens to the current Jones? Demo?
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #2076
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

^Apparently. The plan is supposed to be for the Board of Ed to sell off the current Jones site for redevelopment, but at the last minute they'll probably decide they need it for teacher parking, or worse, bring it to market at the bottom of a cycle and it'll become a one-story Office Depot or something.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #2077
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Lol dear God I hope not
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #2078
spyguy
Expert

http://columbiachronicle.com/columbi...r-improvement/

Columbia plans for improvement
Ciara Shook
05-10-10

...Columbia is teaming with Gensler Architects this summer for exterior restorations of the South Campus Building, 624 S. Michigan Ave., and the Alexandroff Campus Center, 600 S. Michigan Ave. This is part of a project to restore several buildings on campus, which will span approximately four years and will also include the 1104 Center, 1104 S. Wabash Ave., the 11th Street Campus Building, 72 E. 11th St. and the 33 E. Congress Parkway Building.

...Heidi McClenahan, architect for Gensler, said changes to the facades will include replacing the cornice on the Alexandroff Campus Center—crowning ornamental elements that line the top of the building. Other repairs produced by general weathering of the building will also be included in the process.
---

I would love to see the top floors of 624 restored.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2079
Prairie Avenue

Jones

Quote:
^Apparently. The plan is supposed to be for the Board of Ed to sell off the current Jones site for redevelopment, but at the last minute they'll probably decide they need it for teacher parking, or worse, bring it to market at the bottom of a cycle and it'll become a one-story Office Depot or something.
There are some possibilities of putting money into it and keeping it as a school under discussion, but demolition appears top of the City's and CPS' list.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #2080
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote