daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #201
Cullertonian

Likes (Received): 0

Does anybody know anything about the banners that have appeared recently on Cullerton Street advertising the HOM Chicago development? The ads and website don't give a location, so I thought I'd see if the gurus over here could enlighten me.
Cullertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #202
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:37 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #203
kenji

Does anybody know the plans for 1925 S. Michigan?
It's across the street from the Second Presbyterian Church.
Beautiful facade, I hope it's going to stay here with us.
kenji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #204
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #205
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

HOMChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
No idea. You could look at the last few months Plan Commission Agendas to see if any Cullerton addresses have come up for review.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...t&context=dept

Welcome to the forum.
Seems Warman has scrapped his original project Aristocrat Tower. Does he he needs money to pay off his pending lawsuits and building quality problems?I do not know if Aristocrat ever went to Plan Commission or Council, and if he will have to get a new project approved, or try and change the design under the guise of the Aristocrat Ordinance (if approved). He may be trying to capitalize on his buddy Frankel & Giles's idea to go higher where he should not. With the serious quality problems on his projects still pending litigation, he could likely be the one developer to bring out wrath worse than X/O.

Last edited by ErmDiego; April 17th, 2007 at 08:37 PM.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #206
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullertonian View Post
Does anybody know anything about the banners that have appeared recently on Cullerton Street advertising the HOM Chicago development? The ads and website don't give a location, so I thought I'd see if the gurus over here could enlighten me.
HOM Chicago is the new marketing for the former Aristocrat Tower which was pulled of the market. The soon to be released tower is the same height and exterior design. Existing condo contracts with the Aristocrat are still in place. I'm sure there is more to this story but I don't know it.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #207
Chitowner245

The redevlopment of the 2-story building on the NE corner of wabash and roosevelt has begun. Not a highrise obviously, but an interesting retail development in the area.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #208
ErmDiego
BANNED

Aristocrat

Quote:
No idea. You could look at the last few months Plan Commission Agendas to see if any Cullerton addresses have come up for review.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...t&context=dept

Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
HOM Chicago is the new marketing for the former Aristocrat Tower which was pulled of the market. The soon to be released tower is the same height and exterior design. Existing condo contracts with the Aristocrat are still in place. I'm sure there is more to this story but I don't know it.
Chicago Tom, Where are you getting your information about the existing contract? The folks I know who bought original units in Aristocrat had their money returned and contracts voided.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #209
Chicagotom

I talked to 2 sales agents that I know at Prairie Station.
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #210
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
The redevlopment of the 2-story building on the NE corner of wabash and roosevelt has begun. Not a highrise obviously, but an interesting retail development in the area.
Any clue what it's going to be? I had vaguely heard that this was going to be a Sunflower Market (organic-like, nearishly grown produce and stuff, kinda the fresh half that Trader Joe's is missing).

By the way, can Mr. Downtown or anybody else tell us what this building was originally? I have read that it was once a Trailways Bus depot, but it doesn't seem anywhere near large enough unless there was a lot more to it at one time.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #211
ErmDiego
BANNED

Roosevelt and Wabash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
Any clue what it's going to be? I had vaguely heard that this was going to be a Sunflower Market (organic-like, nearishly grown produce and stuff, kinda the fresh half that Trader Joe's is missing).

By the way, can Mr. Downtown or anybody else tell us what this building was originally? I have read that it was once a Trailways Bus depot, but it doesn't seem anywhere near large enough unless there was a lot more to it at one time.
Yes, it was a Bus Station up until mid 80's. Surprised they protected it relative to the stuff the are letting go. They Did a decent job on the renovation thus far. Originally in 2000 it was to be an Art Gallary, but that fell through.

Last edited by ErmDiego; April 19th, 2007 at 03:28 AM.
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #212
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
what this building was originally?

It was the Union Bus Depot, which served Greyhound and a number of smaller bus companies. That included a number of bus lines from the mid-South, and the station was the port of entry to Chicago for many African-Americans during the Great Northern Migration.

Today we forget how central that location was for local transportation. Heavy South Side streetcar lines ran down Wabash or State, the Roosevelt carline zipped across the railyards to the West Side, Boulevard Buses ran on Michigan Avenue, the L station had a train every couple of minutes, and the interurbans to Milwaukee, and the Illinois Central station east of Michigan had suburban trains every few minutes, plus South Shore trains.

I've seen pictures from the 20s with a Walgreen's on the corner. There was a small waiting room and ticketing area, and buses came in through the alley and loaded on the north side of the building. In the early 90s Walgreen's wanted to tear down the building and construct a modern one-level store with drive-thrus. Insisting they had to have drive-thrus, they backed out rather than use the existing building. Only a couple years later they settled for no drive-thru at State Place.

Instead, the site was folded into the Museum Park Place (Columbian) PD, and Lewis Manilow was on tap to develop gallery incubator space there, but it took so long to get the Columbian started that he backed out. The PD specified "arts-related" uses. Apparently that was amended at some point, as Crain's published an article in December saying Sunflower Market had signed a lease for 40,000 square feet.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; April 19th, 2007 at 05:29 AM. Reason: To correct the history and add a picture
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #213
Cullertonian

Thanks for the info on the HOM development.
Any updates on the proposed hotel/condo/retail/movie theatre development that has been mentioned for the vicinity in the block bordered by Prairie, Calumet, 21st, and Cermak? This area seems like it could support some restaurant/hotel from the McCormick Place crowd, but seems a little isolated for any major retail.
Cullertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #214
ErmDiego
BANNED

Prairie Blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullertonian View Post
Thanks for the info on the HOM development.
Any updates on the proposed hotel/condo/retail/movie theatre development that has been mentioned for the vicinity in the block bordered by Prairie, Calumet, 21st, and Cermak? This area seems like it could support some restaurant/hotel from the McCormick Place crowd, but seems a little isolated for any major retail.
The original project was supposed to be called Prairie Blocks, a mixed retail, hotel, foot, condo developent for the entire block, with only the ABC Book Building on Cermak remaining. It was supposed to have a feel similar to the redone Maxwell Street, with more retail and entertainment.
http://www.ddg-usa.com/projects/Prai...s/Project.html

Orginally the property owners, think the name is Pam Gleichman, was trying to develop, but then Warman and Thor Industries tried to step in and buy the property. Project status is unknown, as the owner wanted a good bundle.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n15911536

Frankly, with Warman's problems in development quality, (Legacy, WOW, etc.), I hope someone else develops the property that will do a first class job, good design, and quality materials.
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #215
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #216
Chicagotom

Quote:
I saw some demolition contractors entering the old flophouse "New Ritz" hotel at 1007 South State this morning. The City condemned this property and the adjacent surface lot at 9th and State. The last proposal that was discussed was a mixed use project headed By Northern Realty and Canyon-Johnson, the developers of State Place.

Let's hope they dont hire J-Loew again for this one.
Great News Loopy, This was a big gap in the string of new developments from Congress to 16th street. I wonder if their going to take the lot, the old SRO and parking garage. Did you see any city permits on the building?

I think the building with the Vet office and the lounge is staying. I think I remember a plan that was going to mirror what they did at State Place with a tower and 2 midrises.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #217
ErmDiego
BANNED

State Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
Great News Loopy, This was a big gap in the string of new developments from Congress to 16th street. I wonder if their going to take the lot, the old SRO and parking garage. Did you see any city permits on the building?

I think the building with the Vet office and the lounge is staying. I think I remember a plan that was going to mirror what they did at State Place with a tower and 2 midrises.
I had heard State Place had some structural problems - what is the story with that?
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #218
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

eco18 - 1818 South Wabash

http://www.eco18.com/

eco18 is the result of uncompromising enthusiasm for green building by Dynaprop Development Corporation. eco18 will be one of Chicago’s most technologically advanced residential green projects. eco18 consists of two tastefully designed towers composed of 186 units being built in two phases. Unlike most other condominiums in Chicago, eco18 will be pursuing LEED Gold Certification. eco18 will include an accessible green rooftop, recycled materials, water conserving technology, and both energy conserving solar thermal and geothermal technology. Located in the South Loop of Chicago, eco18 invites you to visit the on-site sales center and furnished model (1832 S. Wabash), representing this forward thinking project!
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #219
southloopscotty

Quote:
I saw some demolition contractors entering the old flophouse "New Ritz" hotel at 1007 South State this morning. The City condemned this property and the adjacent surface lot at 9th and State. The last proposal that was discussed was a mixed use project headed By Northern Realty and Canyon-Johnson, the developers of State Place.

Let's hope they dont hire J-Loew again for this one.
Great news! My wife and I were walking past there today and commenting on
how we wished that something would be done with that parcel!
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #220
ErmDiego
BANNED

1818 Wabash

Quote:
Originally Posted by southloopscotty View Post
Great news! My wife and I were walking past there today and commenting on
how we wished that something would be done with that parcel!
Definately needed there; if they every put CTA stop at 18th, would be good. Of course you have a nice SRO Hotel out your front door - not the best streetscape. I hope they will counter that with a good entry and lobby space.

It seems, especially in the last two years, the developers are putting product out with no design earlier and earlier. It may be that they are trying to reduce the window of availability for community comment..., especially the marginal developers. Even if you look at X/O, their videos, photos, etc. nothing is close to final, and the shots they do have are generic or quick overs so you really still do not know what the final product will look at. Not the case at Museum Park/Central Station developments.