daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #261
Sir Isaac Newton

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
^ I got sarcasm out of his post though. I could be wrong, TUP, but the Target joke? was the giveaway. Not funny, though ErmDiego.
Yeah, I agree....the Target comment is also a giveaway that he is is extremely pretentious.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #262
Prairie Avenue

crappy townhomes

Not sure why the Prairie Town Homes get lumped in with the 1717 tower. The townhomes have yet to come up with any discovered latent defects or problems other than those that were discovered and dealt with in 2003. The town home association did not sue Warman or Barr, but instead reached an amicable settlement after turnover. I understand they are not architectural marvels but they are decent homes, not a blight on the neighborhood and have experienced property value gains equal to any other development in the area.

Town homes are necessary for any community -- I understand here the focus is on high rises, but I wonder if the constant criticism is what you really feel. Is there a town home development in the area that you would consider much better?
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #263
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:48 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #264
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #265
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

If this info is true, then and thanks. If phase 3 happens so quickly I'll be amazed.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #266
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Thank you Borris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
^ I got sarcasm out of his post though. I could be wrong, TUP, but the Target joke? was the giveaway. Not funny, though ErmDiego.
At least you understand Sarcasm. Some people take this way too seriously, and their "knowledge of architecture". Architecture is feeling and preference.

Now, from 1600 S. Michigan to 2000 Michigan, and some of the new or proposed towers on from 1600 to 2000 Indiana and Wabash, everything has been this modern glass "CMK Looking" standard design (Vue, 1620, 1720, Rokas 21st & Indiana, Lexington). The look is relatively worn for all of the new developments, especially in the South Loop. If that is the only genre being be built, than why is the ECO design any worse?

There is a markable difference in the details and quality of buildings being built in Streeterville, versus the stuff in the South Loop. And shame on people for accepting this mediocrity (assuming you want to talk about the architectural bravado and not the price point or business asspects). These developers only have themselves to blame.

It is fortunate that there is some of the older Loft conversion, and other brick and stone to add at least a little balance.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #267
ErmDiego
BANNED

Central Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Ok, now you're starting to break loose some of that big time Neighborhood Organization Leader shit! Tell us more. IC RoW or St. Charles Airline?

Again, you're starting to build some Karma here, so don't blow it. Remember, that the only thing that Mr. Downtown ever tipped us off to was a hot dog stand in a mini park on Dearborn that never happened. So, here's your chance to shine.
I will not name names, but this is a direct quote from a big dog, with his Lawyer sitting next to him (November 2006). Had review meeting of Zoning variance request with folks from Central Station. Cordial and frank discussion, on current developments, infrastructure, developers, and future plans. Indicated that the next phase of the Central Station Plan will be announced in 12-18 months from then, which would be the Air-right developments over the tracks from Roosevelt to McCormick Place. This would be 7-9 towers, plus 400-700 more townhomes. I am guessing that the timing for announcement is dependent on the Museum Park Tower and the west tower completion. Now, my other guesses:

1. Property Development over Tracks - now, if you ever look at their sales center plans, contracts, or talk about the Central station, the only track covering project they ever talked confidently about is in Front of Museum Tower for about 1 or 2 blocks, which is to be greenspace. Not sure if they are funding, but this seems certain.

2. The remainder from 14th south has many spots open for towers.

3. Challenges - The challenges in my opinion:
A) TIF Funding Dates - NEar South TIF may be due in 2013. Thus, will
TIF be renewed, and since the area is not blighted (liked that ever
stopped the city before), would the city be willing to spend that
kind of money to kick in for part of this.

B) TIF Priority competition - A project for tracks, if TIF support is
needed for the public space is also competing with Olympics & the
Olympic Village for money priority. Additionally, you may be competing
with Riverside District for TIF $$. It will be interesting to see how this
works out.
Regarding Riverside District, the publicity Rezko is getting with Obama,
despite him not being owner of the property anymore ("allegedly"), may
continue to set the Riverside District project back...personally, I think
it is a sham, as all the Rezmar players have changed names to Heritage
Development Partners, and are continuing to develop the plan.
As well, you have a few well placed Governor Blagoavich's former
assistants, who have joined the Riverside development team, after
serving state positions in finance, etc.
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #268
ErmDiego
BANNED

Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Yeah, I agree....the Target comment is also a giveaway that he is is extremely pretentious.
Part sarcasm, part observation. On paper, some of the designs can look fine. A clean, crisp design...looks great on Paper and renderings.

However, I walk and bike the neighborhoods a lot. If you walk on Wabash and look at the back of 1720 and 1640 (CMK's projects), it looks nothing close to the rendering. If it is pretentious to hope that someone dumps
$300K into condo highrise should beable to put shades other than bedsheets and newspaper in their windows, than I am guilty.

If the design intent was to be modern, clean, and organized with crisp lines great...in reality, you see to much behind the glass (possibly cheap glass used), of people's stuff, furniture, belongs, etc. Several have commented the same, that it really detracts from the crispness and appearence of the building.
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #269
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #270
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmDiego View Post
Part sarcasm, part observation. On paper, some of the designs can look fine. A clean, crisp design...looks great on Paper and renderings.

However, I walk and bike the neighborhoods a lot. If you walk on Wabash and look at the back of 1720 and 1640 (CMK's projects), it looks nothing close to the rendering. If it is pretentious to hope that someone dumps
$300K into condo highrise should beable to put shades other than bedsheets and newspaper in their windows, than I am guilty.

If the design intent was to be modern, clean, and organized with crisp lines great...in reality, you see to much behind the glass (possibly cheap glass used), of people's stuff, furniture, belongs, etc. Several have commented the same, that it really detracts from the crispness and appearence of the building.
It was the "$200 Target bedroom set" comment that seemed pretentious - not any of the comments against CMK. That comment makes it seem like you look down upon people who might not be as wealthy and can't afford high-end bedroom furniture.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #271
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old April 29th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #272
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old April 29th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #273
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
Not sure why the Prairie Town Homes get lumped in with the 1717 tower. The townhomes have yet to come up with any discovered latent defects or problems other than those that were discovered and dealt with in 2003. The town home association did not sue Warman or Barr, but instead reached an amicable settlement after turnover. I understand they are not architectural marvels but they are decent homes, not a blight on the neighborhood and have experienced property value gains equal to any other development in the area.

Town homes are necessary for any community -- I understand here the focus is on high rises, but I wonder if the constant criticism is what you really feel. Is there a town home development in the area that you would consider much better?
Prairie District Townhomes are criticised because of their architecture. I think that the townhomes east across Prairie Ave. from the Glessener House are very nice. Attention to detail was paid and the architecture is quite nice. where as the Prairie District Townhouses are shit designs. Townhomes aren't necessary for every community.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #274
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmDiego View Post
I will not name names, but this is a direct quote from a big dog, with his Lawyer sitting next to him (November 2006). Had review meeting of Zoning variance request with folks from Central Station. Cordial and frank discussion, on current developments, infrastructure, developers, and future plans. Indicated that the next phase of the Central Station Plan will be announced in 12-18 months from then, which would be the Air-right developments over the tracks from Roosevelt to McCormick Place. This would be 7-9 towers, plus 400-700 more townhomes. I am guessing that the timing for announcement is dependent on the Museum Park Tower and the west tower completion. Now, my other guesses:
Not sure this is current or accurate. But covering tracks draw alot of interest. As recently as 6 weeks ago I talked to some Fogelson guys and the feasibility study that was completed this winter put some unbelievable costs to the towers that would sit above the deck and the tracks. I understand that the towers are scraped and the decking is unlikely past 14th.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #275
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #276
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Thanks for that dose of reality. The towers will surely happen one day, but probably not until the next (Post-Olympics) business cycle.
exactly
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #277
ErmDiego
BANNED

Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
Not sure this is current or accurate. But covering tracks draw alot of interest. As recently as 6 weeks ago I talked to some Fogelson guys and the feasibility study that was completed this winter put some unbelievable costs to the towers that would sit above the deck and the tracks. I understand that the towers are scraped and the decking is unlikely past 14th.
Than your sources are more recent than mine as the information I got was December/January. do you know if Central Station would have to privately foot the bill for the current plan showed in their models or would this be public funds?
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:03 AM   #278
Chicagotom

I think that you made some good point on the $$$$ potentially being diverted to the Olympic Village should we get it. I have wondered myself on what a drag that would be on the investment pool. But anyway. Enterprise and Central Station has run into several unexpected issues trying to build over these tracks. Loft 2 and OMP1 were both delayed because of the timbers from the old train tressell that had to be removed. I have a feeling that there is a ton of issues building over the tracks. I don't know the facts except that the costs were prohibitive to build the towers.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:45 AM   #279
Chitowner245

I live in central station, and i have to say that i don't give a damn about covering the tracks south of roosevelt- get them covered in grant park!!!! And take some of those damn concrete and asphalt streets out while you're at it!
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:18 PM   #280
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I just heard today that D2 is not planning to proceed with The Curve, and may sell the site and focus on other neighborhoods. That's a shame, I think, because the tower was pretty intriguing and the retail base would have been a significant contribution to the neighborhood.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote