daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2007, 10:56 PM   #281
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

The redevelopment on the two buildings on the 600 block of S. Clark took an odd twist--Pat's Pizza has already started operating in their new space in the new building, presumably so demo can start on the 2-story building they used to occupy. So I guess they're truly not doing much to the taller of the two buildings, just adding the extra floors on top.

I'm happy about this, because the loss of Pat's Pizza for months on end would have really disrupted my lifestyle. I'd have to rely on those hacks at Edwardo's.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:34 PM   #282
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:35 AM   #283
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Yes, that's bad news coupled with the cancellation of the nearby Lennar project. Hopefully the Roosevelt Collection will spur more development.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:30 AM   #284
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Also heard today more about Terrazio, 1935 S. Wabash. 180 units and 11,000 sf retail. Seven floors of uninspiring "traditional" architecture from the same in-house folks who brought you Marquee on Michigan. Same developer: Sedgwick Properties.

Supposed to be on the May 17 Plan Commission agenda, though I don't know why they would need Plan Commission approval.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:45 AM   #285
Sir Isaac Newton

Parking Lot on Southeast corner of Clark and Harrison

As I was walking to work this morning, I noticed a worker and machine dismantling the "parking" sign at the parking lot at the Southeast corner of Clark and Harrison. When I came home tonight, I saw that the sign is gone, no cars had been parked there all day, and there is a a small, paper sign posted up saying that the parking lot is closed. Does anyone have any idea what is going on at this lot?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:52 AM   #286
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

If they are adding stories to the Dwight Building across the street, perhaps they bought or rented the parking lot to use for construction staging.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:50 AM   #287
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
The redevelopment on the two buildings on the 600 block of S. Clark took an odd twist--Pat's Pizza has already started operating in their new space in the new building, presumably so demo can start on the 2-story building they used to occupy. So I guess they're truly not doing much to the taller of the two buildings, just adding the extra floors on top.

I'm happy about this, because the loss of Pat's Pizza for months on end would have really disrupted my lifestyle. I'd have to rely on those hacks at Edwardo's.
I agree!
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:28 AM   #288
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
As I was walking to work this morning, I noticed a worker and machine dismantling the "parking" sign at the parking lot at the Southeast corner of Clark and Harrison. When I came home tonight, I saw that the sign is gone, no cars had been parked there all day, and there is a a small, paper sign posted up saying that the parking lot is closed. Does anyone have any idea what is going on at this lot?
I think there has been something flying under the radar here for a while. I too noticed that going on this morning. About a year ago, I posted that a sign was posted on this property giving public notice of a public hearing to have a variance to allow a "drive-through" at this location. Not sure what it was for or if something ever came of it.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:36 AM   #289
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #290
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
I think there has been something flying under the radar here for a while. I too noticed that going on this morning. About a year ago, I posted that a sign was posted on this property giving public notice of a public hearing to have a variance to allow a "drive-through" at this location. Not sure what it was for or if something ever came of it.
"drive-through" as in a drive-through restaurant?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:04 AM   #291
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM   #292
Chicagotom

What a difference in 2100 S. Michigan and 600 S. Clark - Same concept, incorporate a new tower and old loft but could they be any more different. I'm glad Printers Row ended up with this mess.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM   #293
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

New Plans for 1801 S. Indiana & Vietnam Museum

Seems the city is going to call the Vietnam Art Museum organization lease with sale option a sale and involk the "Right of First Option" that allows the city to buy the 1801 S. Indiana building back, instead of letting the Museum bring in Black Orchid who wants to put a wedding/banquet facility at the site. There will be an ordinance introduced "authorizing an acquisition of property located at 1801 S. Indiana Ave. and conveyance of the property to the Chicago Park District.". Had the city not done this, in 2013, when the TIF loan was due, Black Orchid (who has possible ties to MCL), would have been able to take over the building and not have to pay back the city's $1.7MM TIF Loan back, and obtain a +$5M for a song and dance.

This is a great thing for the residents!!!
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #294
PrintersRowBoiler

601 S CLARK ST
Description: Erect one-story banking facility with deep foundations, parking and drive through, per plans.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM   #295
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
601 S CLARK ST
Description: Erect one-story banking facility with deep foundations, parking and drive through, per plans.
^ WHAT THE ****?

Hurry up and ban this shit from downtown, Daley. Sheesh!
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM   #296
PrintersRowBoiler

Funny you should say that. Daley's brother's firm represents the developer I believe (Daley and George). I bet it will have lots of parking too! It is interesting that they are proposing deep foundations. Definitely a "permanent" building. Maybe they will design it with a foundation system that can support future vertical expansion. I guess a bank with a parking lot is better than a parking lot...
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #297
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^But the parking lot can be torn up pretty easily for future development. This bank will probably be there for a long time.

Anyway, a small rendering of those bland eco18 buildings.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #298
vttrapn

Astoria Tower News?

Has anyone heard anything lately on Astoria Tower? They were supposed to break ground in spring of 06 and they still look lifeless at the project site. Yes, they blocked it all off but doesn't look like much else. I put a downpayment on one of the units back in Oct. 05 so you could see why I would be frustrated...
vttrapn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #299
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I've heard nothing but I'm also kind of surprised at how slowly One Place seems to be going. There's a few people working on foundation forms, but it doesn't even seem like the crane operator is there every day.

By comparison, 900 South Clark, out my other window, seems to add a floor per week. I'm just starting to realize how much of my panoramic view of the West Side will be blocked, but at least it's a good-looking building without an ugly parking podium.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #300
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttrapn View Post
Has anyone heard anything lately on Astoria Tower? They were supposed to break ground in spring of 06 and they still look lifeless at the project site. Yes, they blocked it all off but doesn't look like much else. I put a downpayment on one of the units back in Oct. 05 so you could see why I would be frustrated...
I know that they have been working on the 1 east 8th, the mid-rise which is supposedly intertwined and will share parking. I think they have recently fully excavated and I am guessing will start rising soon.