daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #381
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #382
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
This is kind of weird: 4 million $ for this building and land seems a little light. Does anybody have any insight into this?

Document# 0712022004
Address 1329 S WABASH Ave. CHICAGO 60605-2504
Amount $4,100,000
Recorded 04/30/2007
Executed 01/18/2007
Seller DOWNTOWN LOCK-BOX LLC
Buyer WABASH ST LLC
PIN 17221040090000
Township SOUTH CHICAGO

Isn't this one of the 2 buildings that are going up on the East side of Wabash. They both been selling for some time now. Kind of suprising that the sale wasn't completed before they began marketing it.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #383
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

That is quite the norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
Isn't this one of the 2 buildings that are going up on the East side of Wabash. They both been selling for some time now. Kind of suprising that the sale wasn't completed before they began marketing it.
Quite the norm; a great deal of the property is securred on option. Per Zoning Ordinance, there is some language that the property for Planned Development needs to be under "Unified control"...usually a letter from the selling party of intent to sell will suffice with zoning and DPD. This is the case with X//O...they still may not hold all the property as Papageorge holds/held the let next to the CTA Substation on Prairie, even as the project was seeking approval.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #384
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #385
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
This is kind of weird: 4 million $ for this building and land seems a little light. Does anybody have any insight into this?

Document# 0712022004
Address 1329 S WABASH Ave. CHICAGO 60605-2504
Amount $4,100,000
Recorded 04/30/2007
Executed 01/18/2007
Seller DOWNTOWN LOCK-BOX LLC
Buyer WABASH ST LLC
PIN 17221040090000
Township SOUTH CHICAGO
It's about time they got the land for Glashaus. They've been advertising it up the wazoo on the radio, but the website has yet to post floorplans or even anything besides a rendering and a VIP form.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #386
trvlr70

Quote:
You're correct. I was off by a block and was thinking of this self-storage at 1255 S Wabash.

This building could have made some nice loft space.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #387
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #388
Sir Isaac Newton

600 South Clark: demolition has begun!

I looked out my window this morning and noticed that they have begun demolishing the 2-story building that is part of the 600 South Clark project (the building where Pat's Pizza used to be).
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #389
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
This building could have made some nice loft space.
This is was the building that I owned The World Tatto Art Gallery with Tony Fitzpatrick back in the Late 80s. It was also the original home for Looking Glass Theatre that David Schwimmer (Ross) was cofounded in 89.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #390
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

South Loop Urban Design Forum

Meeting
Saturday, May 19th
9:15 - 11:30 a.m.
Weather Mark Tavern,
1503 S. Michigan Ave.

PRELIMINARY AGENDA:
9:15-9:30-Meet and Greet
-New Business Spotlight - Weather Mark Tavern
-Bash on Wabash Update
-Meet Aldermen-elect Dowell and Fioretti
-Hear about the new McCormick Place Expansion
-New Development Panel Discussion - Topics will include planned developments vs. build by right, zoning, near south community plan and aldermanic powers. Presenters will include Benet Haller, Director of Urban Planning from the City of Chicago's Department of Planning, and other experts in the fields of zoning, urban planning and government.
-Rokas International will introduce their proposed 37 story development on 20th and Prairie.
Refreshments will be served.
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #391
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #392
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

The Greater South Loops Association......
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #393
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #394
Chicagotom

Quote:
Well, then the building should be Landmarked!

Wow, Tony Fitzpatrick is something of a legend in the Chicago art world. He was an actor too, wasn't he? He did a Studs Terkel adaptation with Schwimmer, probably under the auspices of Lookingglass. But, much later than the the period you describe.
Tony was and is one of a kind. He has been in several movies including Silence of Lamb. Buzz Killman from the LOOP. and Tony played the ambulance guys that take Hopkins down in the elivator. He also was an imigration cop in Married to the Mob along with many other.

I don't know about landmark status for the building It's not much more that a big warehouse. We brought thousands to our opening night parties. Of course we sold more beer that art but it was quite the happening. We held out though 92 and then we split ways. I would like to think that we had some small part in making the South Loop what it is today.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #395
southloopscotty

Quote:
You're correct. I was off by a block and was thinking of this self-storage at 1255 S Wabash.

I'm glad you were off! I have too much stuff there to move it out so soon after putting it there last winter!
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #396
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I looked out my window this morning and noticed that they have begun demolishing the 2-story building that is part of the 600 South Clark project (the building where Pat's Pizza used to be).
. . . and today it's gone. Somehow the gap it left really emphasizes the mass of the 10-story building next door that it will soon be stitched together with. I never really noticed how bulky that building is.

S. Clark has never been my favorite street to walk down, but now, between construction on Burnham Pointe, the Pat's Pizza dorm, and the start of the drive thru bank, it's going to be pretty much unworkable on foot for months. And between the scientologists hawking personality tests and the drive thru lane I can't imagine it's going to be a whole lot better even after construction. With all the blank walls, long blocks, and interrupted street grid, that whole corner of the South Loop really is a mess pedestrian wise. I hope the college students and other new residents along Clark will serve to humanize it a bit.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #397
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
. . . and today it's gone. Somehow the gap it left really emphasizes the mass of the 10-story building next door that it will soon be stitched together with. I never really noticed how bulky that building is.

S. Clark has never been my favorite street to walk down, but now, between construction on Burnham Pointe, the Pat's Pizza dorm, and the start of the drive thru bank, it's going to be pretty much unworkable on foot for months. And between the scientologists hawking personality tests and the drive thru lane I can't imagine it's going to be a whole lot better even after construction. With all the blank walls, long blocks, and interrupted street grid, that whole corner of the South Loop really is a mess pedestrian wise. I hope the college students and other new residents along Clark will serve to humanize it a bit.
Why wouldn't Clark be better after the construction? The huge parking lot that Burnham Pointe is going up on will be replaced with about 300 new residents, a good amount of retail, and I think perhaps a restaurant as well. The Pat's Pizza dorm is going to bring tons of students to the block and students help add more vibrancy to an area more than anyone else. These two developments will do a ton for this block. I'll admit that the drive-through bank is a wasted opportunity. Will this block be the most exciting block in the city or even close? Of course not. But Burnham Point and the Pat's Pizza dorm will definitely make it considerably better.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #398
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #399
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Rokas International proposed 37 story development on 21st and Prairie: This looked like a pretty nice development. It was hard to take in this presentation as the architect was being constantly interrupted by the PDNA claque in the front row. It is a brick and glass tower that will incorporate an existing loft building and have townhouses at it's base. The design is by Fitzgerald, and it is quite good, in my opinion. In order to absorb the loft building into the design, Fitzgerald went "contextual", using some brick at the base and sides of the tower, transitioning to glass and metal with a reasonable degree of comfort. On the whole, the building comes off as modern, without any detectable historicism or PoMo ornament.

We should be seeing some renderings soon. Loopy out.
We know this building as Avalon, but it's now called 2100. Colored elevations are available at Rokas' website, or in the Boom Rundown at SSP.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #400
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 07:19 PM.