daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #501
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmDiego View Post
In the South Loop, the commercial chains have been providing parking (not right or wrong), so folks are getting used to the convenience of free parking, which this location Fox & Obel will not have.
Conversely, it would be the only grocery store in the South Loop that doesn't require that the majority of pedestrians approach across a sea of asphalt, and it's much closer to the population centers of the area than Dom's or WF. All else being equal, that's a big psychic appeal for pulling in day-to-day foot traffic. It's also located more directly in the path of people leaving the Roosevelt CTA stop and heading for the park/stadium/museums.

I bet it will suck a lot of business away from Jewel on the takeaway/beer & wine/small shopping trip front. It would never have competed with Jewel for big grocery runs since their overall focuses are so different. (But does anybody with a car really use that Jewel for big grocery runs anyway?) And maybe there are people somewhere who can afford more than a bag or two at once at Whole Foods, but I don't know any of them.

I think it might do okay, whether it's F&O or Sunflower or whatever. The growth is such that there's a niche for this kind of thing in the neighborhood. What I would really love to see would be discrete small bakeries, small butchers, small greenmarkets, etc., but that just isn't the way most Americans shop anymore.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #502
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
Conversely, it would be the only grocery store in the South Loop that doesn't require that the majority of pedestrians approach across a sea of asphalt, and it's much closer to the population centers of the area than Dom's or WF. All else being equal, that's a big psychic appeal for pulling in day-to-day foot traffic. It's also located more directly in the path of people leaving the Roosevelt CTA stop and heading for the park/stadium/museums.

I bet it will suck a lot of business away from Jewel on the takeaway/beer & wine/small shopping trip front. It would never have competed with Jewel for big grocery runs since their overall focuses are so different. (But does anybody with a car really use that Jewel for big grocery runs anyway?) And maybe there are people somewhere who can afford more than a bag or two at once at Whole Foods, but I don't know any of them.
Great points on the day-day;
1. Jewel/Domincks, etc. - to answer your question, (just my perspective in
living 1 block away and now further) yes, most is large drive-up and park
business. (Not saying I agree or disagree with a car world - just pointing
out the facts)

2. It is certainly exciting about the options. I always wondered though, why
no-one wanted to place a store like Fox & Oble in the in the base of the
Central Station rental tower Michigan and 13th. With all of the high
rises you have a) clientel with money worried more about quality &
uniqueness, b) clientel willing to walk, c) clientel that would also do major
weekly purchases, d) decent visitor or business foot traffic etc.
The same can be said about restaurants and coffee shops. Until recently
that section of Michigan from Roosevelt to past 14th is an enigma,
considering it's location to thousands within two blocks.

But now with Yoke doing so well, I expect more restaurant options right
there.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #503
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

And for a lot of us, the Whole Foods at Sullivan Center will be even more convenient for an early evening stop than South Gate Market.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #504
Bgirl

(sigh)

If these rents weren't in the $40s/triple net, it would probably be easier for a small-time butcher/baker/grocer to set up shop in our midst. I hope the recent shoe/clothes boutiques on Michigan and the side streets hold out and get the business they need to pay the rent.

I'm with you, Belacqua.

FYI, NBC5's 6 pm news just confirmed that Sun-Times blurb about F&O.
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #505
Cullertonian

The Fox & Obel in River North offers free valet parking - it'll be interesting to see if they follow suit at Wabash/Roosevelt location.

Bgirl - right on about the rents. The owner of the Firehouse had similar comments in Chicago Mag's recent South Loop article. Maybe a summer of vacant space will push the asking prices down and we'll eventually have a few neighborhood shops.
Cullertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #506
Bgirl

Another Youth Brand Clinches State St

- edit
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #507
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^Park Michigan was also to include a grocery store.
And they should still open one. I live right around that development and feel that if the pricing is better or similar to Jewel that many students and residents living around that site will go to that store than Jewel. Especially those who do the "granny cart" method of grocery shopping. Although 3 blocks might not seem far it can in the months of Dec - Feb
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #508
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
Did Carson's decide on that open spot o' land across from Tarzhay?
Eh? You mean in the once-and-future Curve on Clark? Or the Roosevelt Collection? This is ringing a vague bell but I don't recall ever hearing more than speculation.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #509
Bgirl

Carson's eyes South Loop sites

old Crain's article...

With the Carson Pirie Scott flagship on State Street now closed, owner Bon-Ton Stores Inc. is eyeing a replacement site on Roosevelt Road in the South Loop, along with other locations in the Chicago area.

Real estate sources say York, Pa.-based Bon-Ton, which bought Carson's last year for $1.1 billion, wants space at Roosevelt Collection, a shopping center on Roosevelt Road near Clark Street planned by Chicago-based Centrum Properties Inc.

Lisa Balis, senior vice-president of leasing and marketing at Centrum, says she's "not aware of a single conversation anybody here has had with Carson's so far. I don't believe we have room for them, anyway."

Real estate brokers who have talked to Carson's, however, say the company believes it can squeeze into Roosevelt Collection by designing a multilevel space. Failing that, it could consider an empty parcel across Roosevelt Road, the brokers say.

Bon-Ton also is negotiating for a new Carson's site at the Gurnee Mills shopping center in north suburban Gurnee. In Hammond, Ind., it's building a 100,000-square-foot Carson's to replace an older store.

A Bon-Ton spokeswoman won't discuss specific sites, but says: "We are interested in growing Carson Pirie Scott. That name is our biggest contributor to sales, and Chicago is the biggest market we operate in."

Carson's has become Bon-Ton's top-performing division. Bon-Ton reported last week that sales at its non-Carson's stores open at least a year fell 2.7% in the fiscal year ended Feb. 3, while Carson's same-store sales rose 4.3%.

Gurnee Mills won't confirm negotiations with Carson's. But James Hayner, Gurnee's village administrator, says, "We've heard that Carson's is interested in coming here, and they've talked to Gurnee Mills."

The 28-store chain has opened just two stores in the past 20 years. But observers expect Bon-Ton to be more aggressive.

"In the past, Carson's has been hamstrung by its financial condition and always seemed to be retrenching," says John Melaniphy Jr., president of retail consultancy Melaniphy & Associates Inc. in Chicago. "Now they have a parent company willing to invest in them."
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #510
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #511
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Park Michigan was probably going to include THIS grocery store.
I doubt it. WIth the status of Park Michigan, I doubt they even had any kind of preliminary agreement with any grocery store. I think they planned a grocery store (and probably still do) to get some more community support. Might not get a very good lease at this point with so much competition.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #512
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

In the early 80s, Treasure Island was "supposed" to go into Dearborn Station--before First Federal bought it and before Bockwinkel's opened in Two East Eighth. Treasure Island went through corporate crises in the 90s, but is still conspicuous by its absence from the South Loop.

I doubt we'll see another mainline grocery (like Jewel), and certainly not at Park Michigan. I would expect high-end folks like Sunflower and Fox & Obel, or maybe a newcomer like Byerly's or Sunset Foods, to fight for the affluent Central Station market.
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #513
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Byerly's tried to enter the Chicago market with Highland Park and Schaumburg locations and apparently didn't do well enough to stay, although I personally loved the store. It remains to be seen whether Roundy's will suffer the same fate.

Does anyone think an EatZi's could work well in the South Loop? They've been having corporate problems as well, and they've closed many of their original stores. Ours seems to be doing okay though - Wikipedia says it is a franchise, which would explain why it has remained open.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #514
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

They could use a grocery store somewhere around michigan and cermak, but Im just saying that cause I live down here. Its kinda far to walk to roosevelt and carry a bunch of stuff.

Anyways, good news about new retail in the area. The more the better IMO.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #515
ErmDiego
BANNED

Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by robituss View Post
They could use a grocery store somewhere around michigan and cermak, but Im just saying that cause I live down here. Its kinda far to walk to roosevelt and carry a bunch of stuff.

Anyways, good news about new retail in the area. The more the better IMO.
A certain high end chain is re-looking at Lexington space...more in a few weeks.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #516
Chicagotom

11th Steet Metra Station

There is a small boring rig along the eastern wall just north of Roosevelt Road. Can the eye sore be long to come down?

Last edited by Chicagotom; June 11th, 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added pic
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #517
southloopscotty

Trader Joe's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
In the early 80s, Treasure Island was "supposed" to go into Dearborn Station--before First Federal bought it and before Bockwinkel's opened in Two East Eighth. Treasure Island went through corporate crises in the 90s, but is still conspicuous by its absence from the South Loop.

I doubt we'll see another mainline grocery (like Jewel), and certainly not at Park Michigan. I would expect high-end folks like Sunflower and Fox & Obel, or maybe a newcomer like Byerly's or Sunset Foods, to fight for the affluent Central Station market.
What about a Trader Joe's? I think they would make a killing! Especially with all the college kids. It's affordable and a lot of the products are Organic.
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #518
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

I fervently hope for Trader Joe's somewhere, and I'm sure they're looking. In the suburbs, I've noticed that virtually all their stores are in tired strip malls, where presumably they've gotten really cheap rent from the developer in hopes that they'll bring in big-time traffic. Exceptions are the redevelopment projects in LaGrange and Park Ridge, where I also presume they got a good deal. I'm not sure what the story is with the three city locations, though I do notice they apparently require parking. That got me thinking about Two East Eighth, which has excess parking and used to have a grocery store; but after the Ace expanded perhaps there's not enough space left. One Place might have the parking to do it, or maybe The Curve, if that happens.
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #519
Bgirl

Morning All,

In terms of Trader Joe's...I called up their corporate office a few months ago. I live at State Place and learned that Trader Joe's was looking into our still unoccupied commercial space. Supposedly, the regional officers were all for it, but the national brass put the brakes on the idea.

I talked to a gal in customer service who, in turn, told me she would contact the folks in the NYC division of the real estate office and echo my support/plea,etc to possibly have Trader Joe's review my building and others in the S.Loop. She DID tell me they are definitely looking at S. Loop locales. As we chatted, I learned the TJ folks aren't too keen on the small foot traffic on State, across from Dearborn Park. Alot of people go to the El, but TJ didn't feel it was enough of a dent.

Whether it's State Place or other buildings, we all know if a business is new, needed, unique, etc, the pocketbooks will come.

Can anyone confirm if Bin 36 Cafe will open a spot on Wabash?
Old June 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #520
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote