daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #521
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Have you heard anything about this?
Not sure if this is the same group looking at Motor Row, next door do or across the street from the Hilton/Hilton Garden Hotel loft renovation at 2300 S Indiana Ave. Heard a wine bar is in the works for this area.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #522
Bgirl

Likes (Received): 0

Wabash Getting Indian Cuisine

...an Indian restaurant, complete with buffet and take out is going into the space next to Eleven City Diner.
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #523
dvidler

Has there been an announcement?
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #524
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #525
Bgirl

Hi,

I just ran some errands and asked the security guard @ the Wabash building about what is going in next to Eleven. The guard proceeded to tell me, in detail, about the Indian restaurant. He's telling it straight - he's been working for that building for some time and knows all the tenants.

In terms of the Bin 36 cafe, I guess that was speculation. A few friends said they were @ the actual restaurant and heard they were looking for a S. Loop locale.
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #526
Sir Isaac Newton

I recently received an ad in the mail from LA Fitness which mentioned that they will be opening a gym at 610 West Roosevelt, in the near future....
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #527
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old June 12th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #528
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old June 12th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #529
southloopscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
Morning All,

In terms of Trader Joe's...I called up their corporate office a few months ago. I live at State Place and learned that Trader Joe's was looking into our still unoccupied commercial space. Supposedly, the regional officers were all for it, but the national brass put the brakes on the idea.

I talked to a gal in customer service who, in turn, told me she would contact the folks in the NYC division of the real estate office and echo my support/plea,etc to possibly have Trader Joe's review my building and others in the S.Loop. She DID tell me they are definitely looking at S. Loop locales. As we chatted, I learned the TJ folks aren't too keen on the small foot traffic on State, across from Dearborn Park. Alot of people go to the El, but TJ didn't feel it was enough of a dent.

Whether it's State Place or other buildings, we all know if a business is new, needed, unique, etc, the pocketbooks will come.

Can anyone confirm if Bin 36 Cafe will open a spot on Wabash?
Thanks for the info Bgirl,
As far as foot traffic, there isn't exactly a lot of people walking to the Trader Joe's on Lincoln Ave. So I find that interesting... And with the amount of people who live within a six block radius of your building, I'm sure they'd get plenty of business!
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #530
Sir Isaac Newton

I don't know if this is old news or not, but when I was running this morning, I saw a sign on the Northeast corner of Balbo and Wabash for a new building....the building was glass and looked like it was about 15 stories or so. I could be wrong, but I think I remember the address being 660 South Wabash. The sign also advertised the building as the new home for Buddy Guy's Legends. Does anyone else know any more about this proposed building?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #531
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I don't know if this is old news or not, but when I was running this morning, I saw a sign on the Northeast corner of Balbo and Wabash for a new building....the building was glass and looked like it was about 15 stories or so. I could be wrong, but I think I remember the address being 660 South Wabash. The sign also advertised the building as the new home for Buddy Guy's Legends. Does anyone else know any more about this proposed building?
That is old. Buddy Guy sold the land to a hotel developer. I believe that Buddy Guy's will be moving around 21st & Wabash.

Jazz Showcase's website has stated that it will be moving to a new location on Jan 1, 2007. Does anyone know if this will be on the south loop?

Last edited by dvidler; June 12th, 2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #532
Bgirl

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I just walked by there and saw a couple of Indian gentleman talking on the sidewalk with their new neighbor, the delightful Brad Rubin of Eleven City Diner.
With all due respect, I will not eat at Eleven City diner again. I, along with other neighbors, family and friends witnessed the owner scream at his coworkers too many times. Of course, this sort of thing may have stopped, but it put a bad taste in my mouth and I won't give Eleven my business.

Good food, but as the granddaughter of a former diner owner, daughter of a former waitress and fiancee of a fella in the business, the treatment I saw over a series of five eat-in experiences was enough to keep me away.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #533
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #534
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler View Post
Does anyone know if [Jazz Showcase] will be in the south loop?
Look for them to go into Dearborn Station.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; June 13th, 2007 at 08:55 PM.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #535
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
...an Indian restaurant, complete with buffet and take out is going into the space next to Eleven City Diner.
Pakistani, really. The restaurant is a branch of one on Devon -- don't remember the name, but they had a booth at Daley Plaza as part of last week's Sister Cities food festival. The father/son? team there said a late July opening was likely.
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #536
Frumie

Quote:
I should have put "delightful" in quotes. He seems to relish making people hate him.

A friend of mine was once unable to get a server to bring him a spoon to stir his tea. So, he finally reached over the counter to get a spoon himself. Brad snarled at him and my friend explained that he had asked three times for a spoon with no luck. Brad told him to sit down and wait for his spoon. Five minutes later the waiter brought over three spoons. Brad thinks it's cute, but he is just developing a long and growing list of people who will never set foot in the place again.
Wow! Chicago's own "Soup Nazi"!
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #537
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah, except the food is nowhere near as good.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #538
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Wow, almost scrolled right past this subtle edit.

That's great news; a real attraction and a driver of late-night traffic in the neighborhood other than just another bar. I assume it will be somewhere on the inside of the station rather than taking one of the Polk storefronts? You know a timeline on this?
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #539
dvidler

Quote:
Really? That is interesting. I wonder where in the Station. I hope Bar Louie stays. Its a good casual spot for the neighborhood.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #540
Chicagotom

Quote:
Jazz Showcase. Now that’s the point of destination tenant that the station has never had in the last 20 years. Well I guess it was renovated in 1987 or 88 or so. I remember moderating a community forum for Harold Washington in 1986 when it was completed but there were no tenants. This thing has been a financial flop since day one. Bar Louie and Mercy have propped it up for years. Nice addition if it comes in. Anyone want to take bets that the DP and PR will moan about increased traffic and parking?
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote