daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #41
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

Took me a while to place this one. This has a Schwinn bycycle shop on the first floor. I am surprised that this thing wasn't converted along time ago.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #42
Sir Isaac Newton

I wonder if they plan on doing anything with the adjacent parking lot that they purchased....
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:29 AM   #43
Chicagotom

I recall that there was some talk about a University Dorm being put on the parking garage site on Clark. Anyone else remember that?
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:23 AM   #44
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

The building sold is actually the building to the South of the building that fronts Harrison (its not clear on the picture which building is identified). I think the Schwinn shop is actually in the building on Harrison (a beautiful building that I have also wondered how it is office). I can't remember what the building looks like but it must be semi-crappy to sell for $71 a SF (records show the building itself was sold in November for $7.45M). Plus it has no windows on the North or most of the East side so converting to condos/apartments/dorms was probably not really an option. The $10M must include the parking lot.

The buildings to be converted to dorms are actually planned on Clark Street (The Dwight building and Pat's pizza to the south). They are right behind the sold parking lot.

This stretch of LaSalle Street is undesirable in my opinion. It is dark and the trains run across the street. It has an "alley" feel to it. After they complete Vetro, it will probably be very dark at this building.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:54 AM   #45
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
The building sold is actually the building to the South of the building that fronts Harrison (its not clear on the picture which building is identified). I think the Schwinn shop is actually in the building on Harrison (a beautiful building that I have also wondered how it is office). I can't remember what the building looks like but it must be semi-crappy to sell for $71 a SF (records show the building itself was sold in November for $7.45M). Plus it has no windows on the North or most of the East side so converting to condos/apartments/dorms was probably not really an option. The $10M must include the parking lot.

The buildings to be converted to dorms are actually planned on Clark Street (The Dwight building and Pat's pizza to the south). They are right behind the sold parking lot.

This stretch of LaSalle Street is undesirable in my opinion. It is dark and the trains run across the street. It has an "alley" feel to it. After they complete Vetro, it will probably be very dark at this building.
I think you're right....I just walked by the Schwinn shop building and the address there is 601 South LaSalle.
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:45 AM   #46
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 20th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:54 AM   #47
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.cpnonline.com/cpn/regions..._id=1003540883

Burnham Pointe Condos Under Way in Chicago's South Loop

February 01, 2007
By Dees Stribling
, Midwest Correspondent

The market for condos in downtown Chicago might be slow, but it hasn’t ground to a halt. Construction financing for the Residences at Burnham Pointe, a project that recently broke ground in the Printer’s Row district of the South Loop, was finalized this week to the tune of $83.5 million.

Chicago-based Corus Bank is the lender. The project, a 29-story building (pictured) that will ultimately include nearly 300 residential units along with about 16,000 square feet of retail space, is being developed by locally based Terrapin Properties.

“The market for condos is still strong if they’re in the right place at the right price points,” Jake Geleerd, managing member of Terrapin Properties, told CPN this afternoon. “There’s been tremendous growth in Printer’s Row over the last 18 months for just that reason.”

Condos in the Residences at Burnham Pointe start at the mid-$300s, according to Geleerd, with various configurations (studio to penthouse) available. “We’re close to the Loop, and comparable in design and amenities to, say, the projects near North Michigan Avenue, but less expensive,” he said.

Currently, he added, nearly half of the units have been sold. No leases have been signed for the project's retail space, but Geleerd noted that Terrapin is in discussions with a number of national retailers.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:51 AM   #48
Frumie

Just as reminder:
http://www.terrapingroup.com/propert...urnham4_lg.jpg
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM   #49
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

H-piles have been driven into the ground for a few weeks now. I can't wait until this building gets to be about 120' tall... enough to block Ziv's view.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM   #50
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

I am glad to finally see some action going on at Burnham Pointe... I bought a unit there last summer, and look forward to my new home.
I find it interesting that Terrapin's spokesperson (Jake Gerleerd) said a few inaccuracies. There are no studios in the building, and units can be had in the mid 200's. Although the reporter could very easily have not gotten it right.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #51
spyguy
Expert

Keep getting these in the mail

Old February 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #52
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Keep getting these in the mail

Spyguy, what building is that?

Also, for about the past month, I've noticed a sign from the Chicago Park District in the small parking lot directly south of the Transportation Building (600 South Dearborn). Does anyone know what exactly the plans are for this small "park" that is to be built?
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #53
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

The plans for Printers Row Park call for the two small roadways around the fountain square to be closed, and for the new park to have a mixture of hardscape and landscaping. Most of the landscaping is slightly elevated in hopes it won't just become a dog run.

I tried to convince my neighbors that the park should have a small concessionaire at the south end who would "supervise" the park's use in an informal way, to keep it from becoming solely a resting place for the homeless. But they could only envision a typical hot dog trailer rather than a coffee kiosk or newsstand or wine bar, and voted against it in the Park District's public meeting last July.

Last fall I worked with the designers at Site Design to try to give the park a subtle theme based on it being Printers Row. We were trying to design some of the bench elements as if they were oversized pieces of printers' movable type/type matrices.

The site is dark so much of the day and year that I was a little sorry to see the city insist on expanding the park there. I would much prefer to see a nice urban plaza, properly fronted by surrounding buildings and with good sun exposure, on the parking lot across from the Transportation Building.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #54
Chicagotom

[QUOTE=Sir Isaac Newton;11660149]Spyguy, what building is that?[QUOTE]

I believe that is Glashauss on just north of 14th and Wabash
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #55
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The plans for Printers Row Park call for the two small roadways around the fountain square to be closed, and for the new park to have a mixture of hardscape and landscaping. Most of the landscaping is slightly elevated in hopes it won't just become a dog run.

I tried to convince my neighbors that the park should have a small concessionaire at the south end who would "supervise" the park's use in an informal way, to keep it from becoming solely a resting place for the homeless. But they could only envision a typical hot dog trailer rather than a coffee kiosk or newsstand or wine bar, and voted against it in the Park District's public meeting last July.

Last fall I worked with the designers at Site Design to try to give the park a subtle theme based on it being Printers Row. We were trying to design some of the bench elements as if they were oversized pieces of printers' movable type/type matrices.

The site is dark so much of the day and year that I was a little sorry to see the city insist on expanding the park there. I would much prefer to see a nice urban plaza, properly fronted by surrounding buildings and with good sun exposure, on the parking lot across from the Transportation Building.
Thanks for the info! Has the plan been approved? Will there be a hot dog trailer on the grounds? Do you have any idea when they might start/finish?
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #56
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Last I heard the plans were going to the Park District for review before being sent out for bid. No concessionaire. Probably a spring start if everything went well with bidding.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #57
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 20th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #58
spyguy
Expert

And another one

Last edited by spyguy; February 10th, 2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #59
Belacqua

[QUOTE=Chicagotom;11665208][QUOTE=Sir Isaac Newton;11660149]Spyguy, what building is that?
Quote:

I believe that is Glashauss on just north of 14th and Wabash
Glashaus has started pretty heavily advertising. I heard ads for them on the Drive morning show the last couple days, first time I can remember hearing ads for a downtown condo development there, and drivetime ads are not cheap.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #60
Chicagotom

Yeah I got an email Ad this morning - February 11th is their "Grand Opening"