daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #621
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Alderman Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
I am referring to his anger that he was not approached (or the community) first about this project. That should have no impact on whether or not he approves the project. I live a few blocks from this development and as a member of a condo association near there and a member of South Loop Neighbors, I could care less if the developer shows his stuff to the city first... it is my opinion that they SHOULD see it first to give the developer direction on WHAT they CAN build there. I'd rather have the developer do his homework and then present the project to the community for their support before going to the plan commission. Avoids the "bait and switch" approach.
Agree Printers RowBoiler - HAitchcock added absolutely nothing (other than a address to donate campaign money); she did not dicuss infrastructure issues to development, or ask tough questions. The Alderman wants to see the project to understand what groups need to be involved and who is impacted. The GSLA has been overstepping their boundaries and has had little focus on development impact, infrastructure or study needs, or implentation. The Near South Planning Board is a chamber of Commerce represented by more the same developers wanting their own projects approved.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #622
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmDiego View Post
Agree Printers RowBoiler - HAitchcock added absolutely nothing (other than a address to donate campaign money); she did not dicuss infrastructure issues to development, or ask tough questions. The Alderman wants to see the project to understand what groups need to be involved and who is impacted. The GSLA has been overstepping their boundaries and has had little focus on development impact, infrastructure or study needs, or implentation. The Near South Planning Board is a chamber of Commerce represented by more the same developers wanting their own projects approved.
I think you and PRBoiler are a little confused about planned developements....as pointed out earlier in this thread, there is every indication that the developers are indeed approaching the Planning Department and Ald. Fioretti first before the press and any community group and, by definition, a planned development does not follow the existing zoning, so they obviously know 'what can be built' on this site at this time.

Planned Developments are excellent opportunities for the city, the Alderman, and civic groups to heavily influence the development of neighborhoods; much more so then just letting developers build 'what they are allowed'.

ErmDiego, the slight to the GSLA appears to be unwarrented.....being such a key member of the PDNA, might you enlighten us on how your organization did all of the above while reviewing the Rokas Tower?...as an active member of the community, can you also explain why no one from your group did not even bother to show up to the Planning Commission meeting when XO was approved unanimously? or did no one in your organization bother to educate themselves on the basics of how this city operates?
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #623
ErmDiego
BANNED

slooparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooparch View Post
I think you and PRBoiler are a little confused about planned developements....as pointed out earlier in this thread, there is every indication that the developers are indeed approaching the Planning Department and Ald. Fioretti first before the press and any community group and, by definition, a planned development does not follow the existing zoning, so they obviously know 'what can be built' on this site at this time.

Planned Developments are excellent opportunities for the city, the Alderman, and civic groups to heavily influence the development of neighborhoods; much more so then just letting developers build 'what they are allowed'.

ErmDiego, the slight to the GSLA appears to be unwarrented.....being such a key member of the PDNA, might you enlighten us on how your organization did all of the above while reviewing the Rokas Tower?...as an active member of the community, can you also explain why no one from your group did not even bother to show up to the Planning Commission meeting when XO was approved unanimously? or did no one in your organization bother to educate themselves on the basics of how this city operates?
SloopArch, you are correct. Previously many of the Developers tried to make their run at a few select organizations, and were bypassing the Alderman until it was late in the plan, while also bypassing the actual local residents impacted. The developers would then stamor that, when pressed for changes, it was too late in the process. Or they would claim that the NSPB or other organization that they were either a member of, or a donor to, is in full support.

As to some developments 'approved' by GSLA as an example, no questions of infrastructure or studies was put in place. In fact, had anyone asked, as an example, existing sewer studies by Central Station show replacement is needed in most of the area south of 16th...yet none of this is planned. Should this not be done in concert or ahead of time. Another example, CDOT has confirmed that they can not find traffic studies done for this an many of the other projects in the area. Alderman Fioretti will likely approve commissioning of traffic study based on this information.

X/O - not officially formed yet or as you indicate, learning the ropes of the notification; lesson learned is to read public notices and not to trust anything DPD or Alderman tell you. At the same time, DPD posted the meeting after the approval on their Website until after meeting (they even agreed to this in writing), but as you know, newspaper notification is all that you need...we learn. But I will not even waste your time on the lies from DPD and Haithcock.

It is clear from the new 2nd & 3rd Alderman, NSPB support will not matter. Is a group of developers and large businesses really discussing or representing the resident issues of development? For example Rokas; was their any doubt that after they recently joined the NSPB, and decided to sponsor one of their big luncheons that they would be supported for any project. Follow the money and it will tell you alot. Welcome to Chicago
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #624
Bgirl

Likes (Received): 0

I know this entire site and forum is about skyscrapers, development, etc, but I also know the site's goal is to foster community.

One request: can we pleaase stop talking about the mistakes of Haithcock? I'm with everyone and agree she did not keep her end of the bargain up.

The new Alderman is learning the ropes and new residents are pouring into this area faster than you can say '5% down'. I've said this before, we need a unified front across the neighborhood.

Now, there are various groups, South Loop Neighbors, PDNA, GSLA, all of which I think are critical, but can we just all work on the same goal?

Another question to the group: how is it that the PDNA is taking an active role with the new look and feel of the Vet Museum (I just read this week's Journal)? Is this building not slated for a community project....or is this building only for the Prairie Distrct to enjoy? I plan on living in the neighborhood for quite some time, but at this point, I feel as if non Prairie folks are NOT welcome to the new community center. I also feel like I can't even play a role in helping, given I don't live in certain boundaries of the neighborhood. After reading the article, my excitement for a new community center that my future kids and can enjoy got squashed by the reality that I don't live near 18th and Prairie...
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #625
Sir Isaac Newton

Has anyone seen any work going on at Astoria Tower and 1 East 8th, in the last couple weeks? I think I read about a month ago that construction had resumed there...but it seems like nothing has changed on site, over the past couple of weeks.

Also, has anyone walked by 1555 South Wabash recently? I saw it from a distance tonight and it looked like there was a rig on the site, but I couldn't tell for sure.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #626
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Work progresses, slowly, on One Place. This morning I see about two dozen workers on site and a concrete truck with a pump. It looks like they're pouring the floor of the basement swimming pool. At the south end, they're decking to pour the ground floor. You can check the construction cam at
http://oneplacecondominiums.com/#

I can't quite see Astoria from my window, but I don't hear any caisson rigs this morning. They were working some there last week.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #627
Prairie Avenue

[QUOTE=Bgirl;13999592]I know this entire site and forum is about skyscrapers, development, etc, but I also know the site's goal is to foster community.

One request: can we pleaase stop talking about the mistakes of Haithcock? I'm with everyone and agree she did not keep her end of the bargain up.

It is only a month removed from her "administration" and the stain of her legacy is not something you can wash out in a single load. I think the change in administrations and the contrasts remain fair game.

The new Alderman is learning the ropes and new residents are pouring into this area faster than you can say '5% down'. I've said this before, we need a unified front across the neighborhood.

Now, there are various groups, South Loop Neighbors, PDNA, GSLA, all of which I think are critical, but can we just all work on the same goal?

And what is that goal? There is no agreement here or anywhere on what the South Loop should look like. The process of development of an area is by definition ad hoc and disjointed. A parcel is sold, a developer has a profit motivated plan and he takes it to the city. Both the developer and the City are motivated to high density -- the more units the more developer profit from the parcel, and the more taxes and tax base for the city. Unbounded density brings issues with the existing area however, traffic, demands on infrastructure, schools, noise, impact on sunlight, whatever green space is in the area, parking, etc. For a time the area welcomed every new building with open arms, it meant we might actually get a Starbucks, a grocery store, some resturants and other businesses within walking distance. Now, given what is here and has already been approved, a new tipping point is being reached, as well there are enough voters and community activitists to have the ear of politicians to stop, slow down or better manage the developments not yet approved. How do you go about this? I know if XO comes in and is sold out the permit parking on my block will go to zero. I also know their traffic plan to exit autos from the alley between Indiana and Prairie will be a nightmare for traffic and safety in the area. It's addition may further overwhelm the sewer system, and having been through 2 raw sewage storm surges in my lower level, I would not want that to ever happen again. Will their residents and dogs overwhlem our new park we fought so hard to get, and trample the new landscaping our associaition just spent over 10 grand on to spruce up our space? On the other hand if the design is truly groundbreaking it will serve as a key landmark for the area, hopefully there will be some commercial space worth walking to included and further commercial development will come to the area. We will continue to be the hot spot.

I don't know that anyone has the answer as to how to go about this, especially within the confines of a Chicago City political system which seems to go forward on an ad hoc, are you a favored developer, go ahead and build it and we will deal with infrastructure issues later system. But I do think bringing these things to the community early on, finding out what the community thinks of them and asking the developers what is their project going to do for the community and making sure that the impact on traffic, parking and infrastructure is planned for and managed is about the best that can be done.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #628
turbodub_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Also, has anyone walked by 1555 South Wabash recently? I saw it from a distance tonight and it looked like there was a rig on the site, but I couldn't tell for sure.
Was by there a couple days ago and there's a rig on the site. I believe first deliveries are slated for late 08/early 09.

Does anyone know what (if anything) is happening to the run-down car-service center across the street (16th & Wabash)?
turbodub_6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #629
slooparch

My understanding is that this forum is to discuss new projects within the south loop and I believe I speak for the vast majority of not only this thread but for the majority of the members of the GSLA (the oldest and most active resident non-profit community org in this area) that we wholeheartedly support significant increases in density in order to achieve the walkable, small-business-supporting, busy, active-public-transit and ultimately active urban environment that we have been so actively trying to achieve….
Just look at Printer’s Row….they still do not have, although hopefully soon will, anywhere near the density to support the relatively short retail strip along Dearborn….

Prairie Avenue: What makes you think that you should find parking in the south loop in easier then you do in the Near North, Old Town, Lincoln Park, etc.? Parking is like views, it is not guaranteed in the city.
Erm Diego: There isn’t a non-profit community group in this city that has or ever should hold up a project based upon a suspicion of lack of infrastructure. To date, I am not aware of any failures in our infrastructure. This IS a critical necessity and if we do determine that we don’t have the existing infrastructure to support development, then we need to actively pursue the Alderman to update it.

As far as ‘traffic studies’ are concerned….wow, what a red herring. You will not find a legitimate traffic engineer anywhere that will tell you that an introduction of a residential building of any size in just about any location within the south loop will have any significant impact on traffic (parking, yes, but refer to above) in an area of the city that has a very well served grid with wide streets. If you are concerned about traffic, then you should fight to shut down McCormick and prevent all commuters from the south side from transversing our neighborhood.

Franklin Point: I thought it very revealing all of the attacks on the initial story in Crains’ without any real info on the design of the development …. particularly since the developers have apparently hired Adrian Smith to design the project. It is a PERFECT location for a very high-density development – close to public transportation, major arteries, and downtown. Why don’t we all wait to attack until we actually see a proposed design?

Finally, many people have a genuine and worthy desire not to live in such a community that I have described above near the very heart of one of the world’s greatest cities ... well, guess what? ... you all know what’s coming: move to another neighborhood! Low-density, or lower-density loft neighborhoods in many areas of Chicago, bungalow or town-home neighborhoods, etc. The drawback, of course, is that for extremely important urban planning reasons, you should not be within walking distance of downtown, and most likely, not very close to the lake either.

So, I hope we can put to rest this never-ending discussion on density, ‘tipping points’, etc. There are just too many reasons and too many examples of extremely successful high-density neighborhoods in this city alone to continue arguing that the South Loop will result in an unlivable neighborhood. Instead, we should acknowledge that the density is coming and rather than continuing to reflexively fight it, we should be focusing on how best to insure that this density respects our goals and values in acheiving that pedestrian-friendly, plentiful-green-space, boutique-loving, public-transit supporting community that most of us here would like to see.
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #630
wrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
.....Will their residents and dogs overwhlem our new park we fought so hard to get, and trample the new landscaping our associaition just spent over 10 grand on to spruce up our space?
I suppose the answer depends on how you define the "our" (of "our new park" & "our association" & "our space". Or the "we" of "our new park we fought so hard to get").

Perhaps I've missed something here, but these are public parks, are they not? Public parks are for the whole public to use - they aren't private neighborhood clubs and the fact that a private association gave $10,000 towards maintenance & repair doesn't alter their public nature. So yes, people will walk on the grass & walk their dogs there. That is what parks are for.

Also, I just can't pass on pointing out the rich irony that while you bemoan public use of a city park, "The Association" (how Orwellian) has been attempting to stonewall many new S Loop highrises by characterizing them as elitist enclaves for wealthy outsiders. One really doesn't get to have it both ways here - advantage oneself of a taxpayer-funded city park while treating it as if a private space in a gated community.

Such is life in this big, beautiful city. She is a city for the whole people. Friends who visit me here from out of the region are uniformly impressed by the both the grandeur of our spaces, and by the palpable sense of public pride and public ownership of them.

Last edited by wrabbit; June 29th, 2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: formatting
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #631
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

The problem here (and this goes for pretty much everyone) is that people here have a "Me First" attitude. We can't form a unified front unless everyone changes their attitudes towards life. And, more unfortunately, we can't change other people's attitudes, we can only show them how to. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

So, if you are pro-growth and development, instead of simply putting down the so-called NIMBYs on this board as well as others you meet in the real world, try to explain to them the benefits of density and how it can make your life easier and better. And if you are a what the people here consider to be a NIMBY, please to try to realize that change can be for the better. If this is truly to be a community effort, then you need to make compromises; not everything (your views, parking, etc.) can be exactly to your liking. You also need to realize that, once you move somewhere, it won't stay the same forever. I myself have a personal experience with that, and it shows that change is not a bad thing: I live in Bartlett, a NW suburb. When I moved to my current house, the main road came to a dead end, which led into a forest. About two years later, they chopped down the forest and put up a subdivision in which the houses are twice as large as mine and expanded the dead-end road down to a major road in our town. At first we thought the increased traffic woould be bad, and the new neighbors snotty. But now I use that road extension all the time to reach the major road to get out of my neighborhood quicker all the time, and one of my now good friends lives in one of the houses (yeah he's richer than me, but so what? I get to go to his house for the superbowl to watch the game on a 60'' TV!) So, to all those that fear change, very rarely is ever for the worse. And after still all that, if its not to your liking, then by all means, move somewhere else.

Also, regarding the infrastructure problem, I just attended an ULI meeting in Elgin, and one of things they mentioned was that we tend to overreact to something affecting our infrastructure. They said how in Chicago, a 50-story highrise could go up in Streeterville and not a single change to roads, sewage, etc. would be made and guess what? Everything was fine afterwards. Everyone still functions normally. They then proceeded to tell of a 3-story condominium/loft project going up, and how people said they need to build tons of more roads, increase road signage, and expand the size of the sewers in that area. And guess what? The project cost a lot more than it had to. The infrastructure changes were unnecessary.. So people relax.

Thanks for you time, I apologize for the long post.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #632
Prairie Avenue

Sloop post

Prairie Avenue: What makes you think that you should find parking in the south loop in easier then you do in the Near North, Old Town, Lincoln Park, etc.? Parking is like views, it is not guaranteed in the city.

I really wasn't taking an anti density position in my post, or a NIMBY position, although I am sure you believe everyone who lives in a townhome feels that way. The position I was espousing was I didn't think it was possible for there to be a united front on development in the South Loop, that everyone agrees on because of 2 things; first the competing interests of what the area should look like and the amenities it should have and second the City and developer process which is suited to ad hoc approvals/projects and lacks an overall plan.

I don't think street parking of a nature much greater than Old Town, etc., is my god given right, but I do understand how pioneers in the area get upset when they see parking spots become competitive as opposed to always there, and the prospect is for the situation to become much worse. As for the grid situation guaranteeing traffic access, that is not true in my neighborhood -- there is no grid as we abut the railroad right of way which winnows down the options of ingress and egress, and then we face Dearborn Parks 1 & 2 which limit traffic options even more. I think these factors are real and unique to my neighborhood and have been totally disregarded by planners and developments.
While no road is yet Clybourn or Fullerton 24/7; that is a good thing as is development that is managed so that it avoids it.

Certainly, things are made much easier if highest possible density is the god you worship, all competing interests fall away. And yes, you just put up a sign declaring that and tell those who don't like it or want it they better find housing stock elsewhere. But understand for the last ten years the sign read differently here to those who were prospected by developers -- it read come to the affordable, low density South Loop where you face no traffic, have great unblocked views and free parking is everywhere. People who bought here on that premise -- and most here for five years or more did -- should be expected to have a mindset that opposes high density. The very developers who yearn to build skyscrapers here profited from the very expectations that cause opposition to their projects now.

The bigger point is there is no consensus for that ideal (highest possible density) in the South Loop community or certainly within the GSLA you are a member of so we come back full circle to how do we decide what we agree on with regard to development and then how do we get there. Maybe we don't. Maybe we just develop the heck out of every available parcel and as the density ratchets up those who don't like it pack up and move elsewhere. That is certainly the reality of what is already going on for a small percentage of the long term residents. And I think hat is a much more realistic approach than someone who says what can we all agree on and let's do that. Let the market decide and the neighborhood become what it will become is fine with me, as long as you put in the needed amenities crucial to even a high density area -- sensible traffic, some area for guest parking, walk to attractions, schools and parks.

Let me also make one thing clear on Black Patridge park, i did not mean to say that is our park -- I said it was a park we worked hard to get because we did, but clearly it is a city park for anyone to enjoy. The concern is how do we assure adequate greenspace within the coming higher and higher density, so the present green space now in existence does not get overwhelmed.
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #633
Prairie Avenue

$10,000

To be clear this was not put into the park, this was money spent on Association common areas. I do not maintain I or we have any ownership or stakeholdership in the park beyond that of any city resident.
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #634
slooparch

I agree with you, Dearborn I and II are certainly urban planning disasters...

hmm, low density neighborhoods design to shut-out the high-denisty urban neigborhoods surrounding them...

as far as the pioneers of Prairie Avenue (?I moved to Motor Row in 1990)... before any significant construction began in that district, the high-density, multi-towered Central Station plan, stretching all the way down to McCormick Place, had long been approved....
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #635
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

I think anyone who lives anywhere near downtown (the second biggest of the nation), and wanted to have little traffic and light density, had to have known that it would end one day (and soon). Either that or they were completely naive or moronic. To all cases I say, tough shit!

People who moved to an area first are owed nothing but the subsequent property value increases that come with densification and new high-rises. How tough it must be, jeez. They should be happy their neighborhood is "the hottest in America". How hard it must be, so if they must, then they should leave. To them - peace, see ya and come visit from libertyville.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #636
ErmDiego
BANNED

B-Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
I've said this before, we need a unified front across the neighborhood.

Now, there are various groups, South Loop Neighbors, PDNA, GSLA, all of which I think are critical, but can we just all work on the same goal?...
That's a great idea, but first tell me who these organizations represent, are comprimised of, and what is their mission and goals? It seems they could care less about the residents, and more about the developers that donate to their operating and advertising funds. For all the talk of development progress, there is little being done around ammenities for residents by these groups. Take a look at the City CIP project database, and find the monies are being spent in Near South and near West, that should be coming to the South Loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
Another question to the group: how is it that the PDNA is taking an active role with the new look and feel of the Vet Museum (I just read this week's Journal)? Is this building not slated for a community project....or is this building only for the Prairie Distrct to enjoy? I plan on living in the neighborhood for quite some time, but at this point, I feel as if non Prairie folks are NOT welcome to the new community center. I also feel like I can't even play a role in helping, given I don't live in certain boundaries of the neighborhood. After reading the article, my excitement for a new community center that my future kids and can enjoy got squashed by the reality that I don't live near 18th and Prairie...
Bgirl - where has it been said that this is not for the community? Have you tried first to contact the organization? The PDNA has been fighting this battle since late last year. Frankly the South Loop needs more residents to get engaged and demand infrastructure like open spaces, community facilities, libraries, educational facilities, etc. Compared to the North Side, the South Loop has a fraction of what is needed, especially considering growth predictions. I do not see where these issues are not being addressed or advocated by the likes of the GSLA & NSPB. There is, finally, other area residents realizing the lack of resident representation, organizing to advocate. An example is the groups working to bring a Community facility over by 18th & Wentworth.

In the case of the NVAM, it just happens many of the residents in the Prairie District & PDNA, with Alderman Fioretti, got involved last year to expose and challenged this shady deal, in addition to supporting a local business being forced out. The building was redone with Tax Monies, and TIF Loans were still due on the property. Were it not for the residents involvement, while putting their necks out, the building would have been made into a banquet hall by a private entity, that would have eventually went bankrupt and out of business just as the deal was done(google Black Orchid auction). The TIF Money owed you and I would have also disappeared.

The other South Loop organizations were made aware of the situation by the PDNA and Cafe Society, and did nothing. In addition to getting the issue in the news, executing a petition for the City DPD and Cultural affairs, the PDNA 'conduited' alternative educational and art/museum opportunities for the facility to the City, to prove that there was a high community demand for such a facility.

If you have suggestions or ideas, pass them on. I hope you will not find offense with residents trying to be organized and proactive.
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #637
ErmDiego
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
So, if you are pro-growth and development, instead of simply putting down the so-called NIMBYs on this board as well as others you meet in the real world, try to explain to them the benefits of density and how it can make your life easier and better. And if you are a what the people here consider to be a NIMBY, please to try to realize that change can be for the better. They said how in Chicago, a 50-story highrise could go up in Streeterville and not a single change to roads, sewage, etc. would be made and guess what? Everything was fine afterwards. Everyone still functions normally. They then proceeded to tell of a 3-story condominium/loft project going up, and how people said they need to build tons of more roads, increase road signage, and expand the size of the sewers in that area. And guess what? The project cost a lot more than it had to. The infrastructure changes were unnecessary.. So people relax.

Thanks for you time, I apologize for the long post.
In general I agree, but a) when you have City Commissioned studies per engineering code showing problems, along with 311 reports, these should be reviewed. All I am advocating is do and document the proper due diligence. Don't politicize these issues and hide them.
b) With the astronomical Growth projections, these issues needed to be reviewed yesterday...if needed, the zoning changes for some of these options need to be addressed; if not the price of land will have people crying and suing of this is needed later. For example, why not include plans for destination parking now so that in 5-10 years when it is needed, it can sensibly be done, either in integration with development or commercial projects, or individually. South of Congress, there is maybe one public lot.
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #638
ErmDiego
BANNED

Quote:
My understanding is that this forum is to discuss new projects within the south loop and I believe I speak for the vast majority of not only this thread but for the majority of the members of the GSLA (the oldest and most active resident non-profit community org in this area) that we wholeheartedly support significant increases in density in order to achieve the walkable, small-business-supporting, busy, active-public-transit and ultimately active urban environment that we have been so actively trying to achieve….
Just look at Printer’s Row….they still do not have, although hopefully soon will, anywhere near the density to support the relatively short retail strip along Dearborn….
Help me understand, What is the GSLA mission, and what are it's accomplishments other than being the oldest? Name me some of the things actually done...(other than a party on Wabash)? Are they funding an openspace programs, etc.? Why to they think they carry more weight in an area than the actual residents?

Quote:
If you are concerned about traffic, then you should fight to shut down McCormick and prevent all commuters from the south side from transversing our neighborhood.
Already working on this issue...need to direct people to the Streets intended, like Indiana & Michigan.
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #639
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmDiego View Post
Help me understand, What is the GSLA mission, and what are it's accomplishments other than being the oldest? Name me some of the things actually done...(other than a party on Wabash)? Are they funding an openspace programs, etc.? Why to they think they carry more weight in an area than the actual residents?
Still fighting losing battles, Erm? Does the word 'extinction' mean anything to you? From my stoop here in 'New Jersey', that's pretty much the future I see in your insane anti-everything movement you've got going on over there.

Quote:
Already working on this issue...need to direct people to the Streets intended, like Indiana & Michigan.
^ Oh, oh, what a GREAT IDEA! Lets block off all the side streets, reclad them with fake cobblestone, privatize them, and put up some cute turn-of-the-century-ish signs that say "Prarie Avenue District, circa 1890 A.D". What a special little place, right Erm? Keep the entertainment coming, because your dreamy little cutesy-hood fantasy really makes my stars glitter
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #640
Frumie

Is there any real south loop development to report on this thread?