daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #701
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

Welcomed addition

[QUOTE=robituss;14131042]^Hmm, high density strip malls. Isn't this type of thing more prevalent in LA. That whole area is looking like North & clybourn.[QUOTE]

It seems hard to believe after decades of stagnant retail growth that we are actually going to get more retail. Compared to what’s on the site now this looks great. I welcome that entire district going retail. It’s an easy walk, bike or bus ride on the #12 from Museum Park.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #702
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

To be honest, I wouldn't expect ANYTHING better than that west of the river. Southgate Market is exactly the same format; just larger. Hopefully, it will include enough accessory parking that South Loop Commons will require none. It's bad enough that we have Dominick's and Home Depot there with their vast parking lots, not to mention the Staples next door.

While we're talking about South Canal, have there been any streetscape improvements proposed? I hate having to walk between Taylor and Harrison, because the streetscape is either blank walls or vacant lots on both sides. It's unpleasant, windswept in winter and broiling in summer. Landscaping would make a big difference in getting people to walk down Canal from the West Loop, by making the strip look inviting, reducing wind, and providing some much-needed shade.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #703
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Isn't Canal St basically being treated like a big alley in that part of town? Might as well make it the street 'that gets the dirty work done' anyhow. The eastern portion of University Village will actually have rear-garages facing Canal. Meanwhile, it will be the street along which a giant Chinese wholesale/retail center will be built by See Wong (developer of Chinatown's planned Imperial Hotel), also with plenty of surface parking.

It looks like the city has basically turned Canal (from Taylor St. to a bit north of Chinatown) into the dumping ground of service-oriented, necessary-evil, bad-urban design kind of development that keeps the economics of Chicago's growing central area population flowing. That's cool, I guess..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #704
FreeRadical

VOID

Last edited by FreeRadical; December 15th, 2007 at 06:45 AM.
FreeRadical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #705
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't expect ANYTHING better than that west of the river. Southgate Market is exactly the same format; just larger. Hopefully, it will include enough accessory parking that South Loop Commons will require none. It's bad enough that we have Dominick's and Home Depot there with their vast parking lots, not to mention the Staples next door.
I think they have done a fantastic job with parking in this area including the under construction Roosevelt Collection. The only retail that has a large surface lot is Dominick's and they were one of the first developments in the corridor. That may change with the market. Just remember what they did at North and Clybourn and you really appreciate all the garages and underground parking.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #706
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

A few saving graces: there's a reasonably complete street grid west of the river, and little of the offstreet parking opens directly onto Roosevelt. East of the river, there are dedicated bus lanes.

People underestimate the power of a multipath network (like a grid) to disperse traffic. Think of how many cars come out of Loop parking garages in one hour every weekday afternoon, and how remarkably little congestion they cause. Compare that to what happens at 5:10 pm on Saunders Road in Northbrook or Martingale Road in Schaumburg, and you quickly become a believer in street grids.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #707
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
A few saving graces: there's a reasonably complete street grid west of the river, and little of the offstreet parking opens directly onto Roosevelt. East of the river, there are dedicated bus lanes.

People underestimate the power of a multipath network (like a grid) to disperse traffic. Think of how many cars come out of Loop parking garages in one hour every weekday afternoon, and how remarkably little congestion they cause. Compare that to what happens at 5:10 pm on Saunders Road in Northbrook or Martingale Road in Schaumburg, and you quickly become a believer in street grids.
another very lucid point by Mr. D
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #708
Chicagotom

The addition of the Taylor Street Bridge across the River to Wells will add another East-West flow in and out. I agree MR DT. The Grid is the answer to traffic issues. That is one of the reasons why some of us rant against Dearborn Park But that’s got its own thread going.

I will be curiously watching this area: the River to the Kennedy and from 15th Street to the Eisenhower. It seems like there are plenty of opportunities for Mix use buildings with height to be developed. Don't have the South Loop Plan" around but what did they propose for this area?
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #709
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

The Near South Community Plan covers the area east of the river.
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #710
kendo26

I'm looking forward to South Common's as well as the Best Buy in the area. I actually live in Bridgeport, but instead of having to go to North and Clybourn and can come to the South Loop instead
kendo26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #711
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

The segment of Canal I'm talking about is between Roosevelt and Van Buren, roughly. I could care less what happens on Canal south of Roosevelt, but connecting the Roosevelt Strip to the West Loop is crucial.
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #712
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Smithfield's Dwight Building dorm project abomination should have an address between 620 and 648 South Clark. It can't be 600; that's the parking garage. I have it in my database as 642, but I'm not sure where that came from.

LOL!! You were joking about this being an abomination, right Mr. "Downtown"?

The Smithfield project is a very well-designed and innovative project bringing more sorely-needed contemporary design and density into the Printer's Row area. Perhaps more than any other attributes, it is its appropriateness for the setting - in both scale and design - that make it such a worthy addition...

By the way, quite a silly letter to the editor in Crains - that was you, no? Just provides yet more evidence that you are primarily a backward-looking NIMBY only concerned with ridiculous history minutia. Embrace the future of the South Loop - Modern, Dense, Tall....
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #713
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I would be against the Dwight Building addition if there was another economically-feasible way to fill the Pat's Pizza site with a tall building. Unfortunately, this isn't 1915, and nobody will construct a building that narrow except in very rare circumstances.

I'm happy that the facade of the new addition will be set back from the Dwight Building, and that the base of the Dwight Building will (hopefully) be opened up with windows and doors. I've always loved Schmidt Garden Martin's buildings, along with some of the other lesser-known Chicago architects like Nimmons & Fellows.

Last edited by ardecila; July 8th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #714
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopSam View Post
By the way, quite a silly letter to the editor in Crains - that was you, no? Just provides yet more evidence that you are primarily a backward-looking NIMBY only concerned with ridiculous history minutia. Embrace the future of the South Loop - Modern, Dense, Tall....
^ I also read that letter. I didn't really see any NIMBYish qualities to it
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #715
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm happy that the facade of the new addition will be set back from the Dwight Building
Where did you hear that the new addition would be set back? It doesn't show in this "elevation."

What Landmarks Illinois and DPD asked Smithfield to do was to set the Dwight Bldg addition back one structural bay from the street façade, and maybe clad it differently from the new narrow tower next door. That way, the project would read as three different volumes, and properly show contrast between old and new. Smithfield could go higher if they need to make up for the small setback. But there was no leverage since Near South Planning Board (led by the building's former printing company owner) had fought landmarking back in the 90s, and you only get one try under Chicago's landmark ordinance.

Now it looks like the bully next door is holding down the poor little Dwight Building and giving it noogies.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; July 9th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #716
Chicagotom

I agree with MR DT on this. Never cared for the design. If the new building was taller and had set backs from north to south going up I think that it would work. As it now the new building looks like bully next door is holding down the poor little Dwight Building and giving it noogies. You know that building is going on the corner where the parking garage is now. There is a great opportunity to build layers and texture into the street wall rather than building a bigger box.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #717
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
I agree with MR DT on this. Never cared for the design. If the new building was taller and had set backs from north to south going up I think that it would work. As it now the new building looks like bully next door is holding down the poor little Dwight Building and giving it noogies. You know that building is going on the corner where the parking garage is now. There is a great opportunity to build layers and texture into the street wall rather than building a bigger box.
What building is going up on the corner, where the parking garage currently sits?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #718
Sir Isaac Newton

Park 1000

deleted

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; July 9th, 2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: We are not allowed to use information from the website mentioned in your post.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #719
Belacqua

I walked past Printers Corner (NE Polk/Wells) the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see that, at least on the lower floors, they are facing the concrete with actual laid brick. All things considered, it looks a lot better than what I had been expecting (something pre-mixed and sprayed on). In a perfect world there would be no fake historicism, but at least they're using decent materials while they're doing it.

Burnham Pointe is coming up quickly, about a floor a week now (and its 8th floor is just short of Folio Square's 7th, which translates into about a foot less height per floor). Not a drop of nostalgia anywhere in that design; I hope they leave it raw uncolored concrete but I'm not sure of the plans. Contrary to popular fears, it seems like it will address Polk St. pretty nicely, actually widening the sidewalk considerably compared to the cyclone-fenced lot it replaces. So far they've only been working on the residential tower--the ~7-story parking podium (lined w/ retail along Clark) is only foundation so far.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #720
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

I noticed today another in a long line of signs promising completion of this group of townhouses, at 14th Place and Wabash: