daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #741
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #742
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooparch View Post
again, what are you arguing about? according to the architect, (the guy who designed the project) Fitzgerald...they thought it would be much more appropriate to design the townhomes consistent with the vocabulary of the tower...period. They did not due to the fact that if they designed them in so-called 'traditional' fashion, it would be easier to 'sell' it to the NIMBYS.

Nothing to argue about I'm afraid, ErmDiego.
Who is arguing? You are being intellectually dishonest by claiming NIMBYs had something to do with the addition of the Townhomes, when the architect included this in the design from day one. DPD would have asked for it regardless. How is it NIMBY, when the developer followed at least one aspect with the Near South Community Plan on his own? Oh that's right, the GSLA does not support the Chicago Central Plan, and Near South Community Plan, plans conceived adopted by Plan Commission, planning experts, and residents...yet you claim to represent the residents of the areas you do not live in?

So should we expect that Rokas Development donation to the GSLA soon, perhaps some money for the Bash on Wabash?
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #743
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

This is soooo tiresome....did you read my post?

The architect SAID: He designed it for the NIMBYS

DPD also has stated that they would prefer a CONTEMPORARY design for the townhomes consistent with the tower. Will they force the developer to do this? Not necessarily, believe it or not, they are not omnipotent. The alderman, however, could most likely make it happen if he so desired.

The GSLA and many of its members who are part of the urban planning profession worked intensely on the Chicago Central Plan and the South Loop Community Plan....much of which you do not appear to be very familiar with.

BTW, if you spent a fraction of the time you spend on this thread improving the South Loop Community since you originally moved here, you most likely would have a much more solid ground to stand on when throwing all of your accusations. Rather, you did not get involved in the community until you saw a chance to gain some kind of vindictive retribution on a developer who you previously had a relationship with (more power to you too).
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #744
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooparch View Post
This is soooo tiresome....did you read my post?

The architect SAID: He designed it for the NIMBYS

DPD also has stated that they would prefer a CONTEMPORARY design for the townhomes consistent with the tower. Will they force the developer to do this? Not necessarily, believe it or not, they are not omnipotent. The alderman, however, could most likely make it happen if he so desired.

The GSLA and many of its members who are part of the urban planning profession worked intensely on the Chicago Central Plan and the South Loop Community Plan....much of which you do not appear to be very familiar with.

BTW, if you spent a fraction of the time you spend on this thread improving the South Loop Community since you originally moved here, you most likely would have a much more solid ground to stand on when throwing all of your accusations. Rather, you did not get involved in the community until you saw a chance to gain some kind of vindictive retribution on a developer who you previously had a relationship with (more power to you too).
Again, there may have been intense work on it, so then why does members of the group openly admit they do not agree with it, or think much of it should be followed. Not my words.

Accusations? Just pointing out facts that developer money has been accepted by 'community organizations', be it donations or sponsorship...is this false? I, like many got involved when it became apparent groups claiming to be 'resident based' decided to ignore the residents who they are supposed to be confering with and representing.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #745
Belacqua

Scientologists and a ready supply of booze

The zoning variance for the Church of Scientology at 650 S. Clark is on the Zoning Board of Appeals agenda for this Friday (continued from last month's hearing) http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...2007Agenda.pdf

What are the laws in Chicago regarding liquor licenses' proximity to religious establishments? Is there any possibility that this will affect the existing, or future, liquor licenses of nearby businesses? The ex-Butcher's Dog seems like it would definitely be affected if it's not grandfathered in. I would hate for this to limit what can go into all the space that's being built in the area, or even worse mess with existing businesses. Drunks are far preferable to cult zombies in my opinion.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #746
Sir Isaac Newton

I went for a run in the South Loop last night and when I ran by the 1555 South Wabash site, I saw that there were a couple machines on site as well as the parts to be assembled for the crane. I also saw a huge pile of piles and it looked like one or two may have already been driven but I wasn't able to get a good look. Can anyone who lives nearby check it out and/or take pictures if they get a chance?

Also, I ran by the Eco18 site which was all fenced off. I haven't been by this site often, but I wasn't sure if I remembered it being fenced off the last time I was by there. Does anyone know what the status of this project is?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #747
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

^Eco18 has been fenced off for a while now, its been about a month since they finished demoing the old building on the site. I havent heard any news, looks like they are still just waiting.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #748
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #749
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Very interesting point. I had not thought about the liquour license angle of granting these religious institution variances. True Rock Baptist Church further South on Wabash could be troublesome too for the bar/restaurant scene in that neighborhood.
I guess it hasn't killed Kasey's, which is immediately next door to three or four churches, and the Thai place up the street has a new liquor license (but is probably further than 100ft). I have wondered if the fact that it's permitted under existing zoning, and it's the religious institutions getting the variances, mean that anybody else can do what they normally would and the churches just have to live with it.

It's a retarded law anyway, probably originally there to make life difficult for unfavored immigrant groups.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #750
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Kasey's is the reason Grace Place is a "community center" where religious congregations happen to meet rather than a "church."
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #751
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
The ex-Butcher's Dog seems like it would definitely be affected if it's not grandfathered in. I would hate for this to limit what can go into all the space that's being built in the area, or even worse mess with existing businesses. Drunks are far preferable to cult zombies in my opinion.
I saw a couple weeks ago that the ex-Butchers Dog is now a new bar... seems kinda like a grunge-type bar.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #752
Chicagotom

Proposed zoning change threatens South Loop project

July 20, 2007
Proposed zoning change threatens South Loop project
By Alby Gallun
(Crain’s) — Newly elected 2nd Ward Alderman Bob Fioretti has introduced a zoning change that would shrink a controversial South Loop condominium project, potentially triggering a lawsuit from the developer.
Coming three months after Mr. Fioretti defeated incumbent Madeline Haithcock in a runoff election, the move suggests that developers will face closer scrutiny than they have in the ward, an area that has added thousands of condos over the past several years.

Kargil's X/O Condominum project
During the campaign, Mr. Fioretti accused Ms. Haithcock of being too cozy with developers, and he refused to accept donations from them.
Now, the alderman is trying to undo a zoning change that the City Council passed last fall with his predecessor’s support.
That move allowed Kargil Development LLC to build the X/O Condominiums, a 490-unit project at 1712 S. Prairie Ave. Plans call for two towers, one 450 feet tall and the other 310 feet-much bigger structures than permitted under the old zoning.
Mr. Fioretti introduced a measure at Thursday’s City Council meeting that would “downzone” the property to allow towers of just 225 feet, effectively restoring the original zoning.
“Architecturally it’s a beautiful structure but it just doesn’t belong there,” he says. “I want to make sure we have good balanced development throughout the ward.”
Kargil Principal Keith Giles says he’s “perplexed and dismayed” by the change, calling it “unethical and wrong.”
“I think it sends a horrible, horrible message to the development community when within weeks of being elected he can just change the zoning because he has some opinion about what’s right and what’s wrong there,” says Mr. Giles, who hasn’t seen Mr. Fioretti’s proposal.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Planning and Development, which signed off on the first zoning change, didn't have an immediate response to the proposal.
More News
Ruth's Chris signs on for Arboretum in S. Barrington
Park Millennium garage sells for $25 million
Central Park of Lisle for sale
Developer borrows $123 million for Hyde Park apartments
Reschke changes plan for West Loop site
See all News...
Designed by renowned Chicago architect Lucien Lagrange, X/O’s contemporary glass towers would sit across the street from the landmark Glessner House in the Prairie Avenue Historic District. Though two neighborhood organizations supported the project, a block of residents formed a third group, the Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance, last year to fight the development, arguing that it would overwhelm the neighborhood.
The condos have sold well, with buyers signing contracts for about 200 units valued at about $100 million, Mr. Giles says. X/O is expected to be worth about $270 million when it’s sold out.
Mr. Giles estimates that the downzoning proposal would reduce the size of the project by about 100 units, assuming City Council passes it and it withstands legal scrutiny.
Asked if he plans to sue over the move, Mr. Giles says: “I’m going to confer with my lawyers obviously, but this project’s moving forward. We have spent millions and millions of dollars on this project. There is no turning back now.”
Courts have generally ruled for developers in downzoning cases if the developers can establish that they had a “vested right” to build by spending a significant amount of money on a project before the city changed the zoning.
It’s a familiar concept to Mr. Fioretti, a lawyer who once worked on a high-profile case arguing against a proposed condo tower on Lake Shore Drive in the Gold Coast.
“I’m not one that likes to see litigation,” he says, “but I think that everybody believes that this is an inappropriate structure at this location.”
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #753
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

^ Well, of course Kargil will litigate, and with good odds. Fioretti is engaging in political theater.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #754
Mr. Hightower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
^ Well, of course Kargil will litigate, and with good odds. Fioretti is engaging in political theater.
I certainly hope it is only "theatrics" to appease the PDNA, who helped get him elected. Otherwise, Fioretti has chosen a dangerous, not-too-righteous, path.
Mr. Hightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #755
hoju

It would seem that this was just theatrics, given that he is a lawyer and knows that he would lose this because of the "vested interest" argument. But if it is just playing politics to appease the PDNA NIMBYs, one would think the developer would have been let in on the joke. In the crains article, Kargil's comments against Fioretti were pretty harsh, and it seems that they were taken by surprise. At any rate, this may delay the groundbreaking a bit, but it certainly seems like Kargil has the legal edge.
hoju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #756
Mr. Hightower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoju View Post
It would seem that this was just theatrics, given that he is a lawyer and knows that he would lose this because of the "vested interest" argument. But if it is just playing politics to appease the PDNA NIMBYs, one would think the developer would have been let in on the joke. In the crains article, Kargil's comments against Fioretti were pretty harsh, and it seems that they were taken by surprise. At any rate, this may delay the groundbreaking a bit, but it certainly seems like Kargil has the legal edge.
I don't think Fioretti has any love for Kargil, and wouldn't necessarily let them in on the joke.
Kargil will be hurt by this move to some extent no matter the outcome. Hurt mostly by litigation delays and skittish buyers (best case scenario) if it actually passes.
Mr. Hightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #757
Bgirl

Wow.

Things are about to get a bit more heated down in these here parts.
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #758
FreeRadical

VOID

Last edited by FreeRadical; December 15th, 2007 at 07:53 AM.
FreeRadical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #759
Belacqua

Theater or not, this is not an auspicious beginning to his tenure.
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM   #760
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Daley, Oh Daley, where art thou?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote