daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #781
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,186
Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmDiego View Post
Bonnie of the NSPB? oh what a surprise. Helps when DPD posts agendas and notices they call "public notices" after the meeting. They have even admited as such and fell back to the, posted in the paper.

Well, me and mine knew about it several months in advance, and it was as I said on the city website. IO even came back into town specifically to speak up in favor of this project.

DPD may have fallen back in posting information before, but not when it came to this project.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #782
InTheLoopSam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 71
Likes (Received): 0

Special Interest NIMBY Group, PDNA

There are in fact 2 legitimate community organizations that represent the Prairie District neighborhood - these are the Greater South Loop Association and the Near South Planning Board. The rag-tag group of NIMBYs who live in the atrocious, history-mocking retro trash townhomes on Prairie and the Prairie District Tower and who refer to themselves as the "Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance" most certainly does not represent the community's residents and their views - rather it is a special interest, fringe group that needs to be appropriately marginalized...
__________________
In The Loop, 24/7
InTheLoopSam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #783
InTheLoopSam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 71
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Well, me and mine knew about it several months in advance, and it was as I said on the city website. IO even came back into town specifically to speak up in favor of this project.

DPD may have fallen back in posting information before, but not when it came to this project.


Precisely. It most certainly was posted, as this is how I learned of it being on the agenda. These guys are so desparate they are grabbing at every straw they can, no matter how baseless in fact or absurd it makes them look...
__________________
In The Loop, 24/7
InTheLoopSam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #784
ErmDiego
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Well, me and mine knew about it several months in advance, and it was as I said on the city website. IO even came back into town specifically to speak up in favor of this project.

DPD may have fallen back in posting information before, but not when it came to this project.
Ok, so DPD's admission in writing they did not post it in time is wrong?
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #785
ErmDiego
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopSam View Post
There are in fact 2 legitimate community organizations that represent the Prairie District neighborhood - these are the Greater South Loop Association and the Near South Planning Board. The rag-tag group of NIMBYs who live in the atrocious, history-mocking retro trash townhomes on Prairie and the Prairie District Tower and who refer to themselves as the "Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance" most certainly does not represent the community's residents and their views - rather it is a special interest, fringe group that needs to be appropriately marginalized...
Keep thinking and saying this from behind your little screen-saver of anonymity. Resident all over the South Loop are wising up to the stunts behind the scenes and who was trying to call the shots. All will be exposed in due time. "There is a new sherrif in town, and his hame is Reggie Hammond"
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #786
InTheLoopSam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 71
Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=ErmDiego;14414659]Resident all over the South Loop are wising up to the stunts behind the scenes and who was trying to call the shots. All will be exposed in due time.


Listen to yourself Jeff. You just don't get it. You suffer from extreme delusions of grandeur. You think you're going to uncover this giant conspiracy of development fraud in the South Loop, rocking our local system of government to its very core. What planet do you reside on?
In reality, you are absolutely as irrelevant as every other NIMBY with horrific taste and absence of planning sense in the South Loop
__________________
In The Loop, 24/7
InTheLoopSam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #787
slooparch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 5

Thank you, Sam.....

he does seem to think their is a grand conspiracy...if so, I wonder what other projects are involved besides X/O? Every GSLA meeting he attends, he only has positive comments to make, hmmmm?
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #788
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,186
Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmDiego View Post
Ok, so DPD's admission in writing they did not post it in time is wrong?
I have no idea what the DPD has or hasn't admitted. I was just responding and commenting to what you had written.

What I'm saying is that the prople that are BITCHING AND MOANING now had an opportunity to speak at the Plan Commission meeting, and they failed to do so.

I saying that I had the smarts and ability to support something I thought was worthy, and find out eveything I needed and wanted to know about it, those who felt the same passion, but on the opposite side could have done the same reconaissance as I. And yet...

FAILURE and or RETARDATION. Choose your stupidity.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #789
Sir Isaac Newton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 346
Likes (Received): 0

Sorry to change the subject, but a couple days ago I walked by a lot on the east side of Wabash Ave, directly behind 1720 South Michigan. It looked like a lot of digging/excavating has been going on, and there is and existing dome-shaped, non-enclosed structure on the lot. Does anyone happen to know what is going up, on this site?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #790
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer
 
Mr Downtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,547
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooparch View Post
can you point out where an alderman successfuly took back an approved PD?
No, this seems rather unusual. Problem is, I don't yet know what ordinance language Ald. Fioretti actually introduced. The Crain's story seems a little confused, with the reference to a measure "downzoning . . . to allow towers of just 225 feet, effectively restoring the original zoning." Since the original zoning would have had only a bulk regulation (FAR of 7, probably) rather than any height restriction, that doesn't really make sense. I'm not sure whether Fioretti's new ordinance merely rescinds the PD or sets a new height restriction of 225 feet. From some discussions I remember during the campaign, I tend to think it's the latter.

Quote:
2 legitimate community organizations . . . represent the Prairie District neighborhood - these are the Greater South Loop Association and the Near South Planning Board.
Near South Planning Board is a chamber of commerce, not a "community organization."

Quote:
No court in the land would find against the developer in this case, as his vested interest is indisputable.
In many states that would be correct, but Illinois's position on vested rights is much more unfriendly to developers. Take a look at 1350 Lake Shore Associates v. Casalino, 816 N.E.2d 675 (2004), or read this outline of vested rights doctrine in Illinois. And Fioretti is not exactly a novice in this area of the law, having worked on the 1350 Lake Shore case.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #791
Belacqua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooparch View Post
And, the mid-rise on Wabash....totally appropriate, just as a high-rise is adjacent to the lake in the central core of Chicago.....
Sorry to distract from the Great Community Group debates, but could somebody talk a little more about this 7-story building on Wabash? This is the first I've heard of it. Location? Residential, commercial, both? Is there more/less parking than necessary? Will it ruin the streetscape for decades to come or be a tiny jewel of the avenue?

Perhaps we could make a new forum for the seemingly endless discussion of which South Loop community group legitimately represents whom, and limit the discussion here to what actually gets presented at their meetings, rather than the personalities, alleged agendas, and moral failings of the people they comprise. This increasingly insider shop talk holds very little interest for the people who come to this forum to actually find development news.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #792
ErmDiego
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
Sorry to distract from the Great Community Group debates, but could somebody talk a little more about this 7-story building on Wabash? This is the first I've heard of it. Location? Residential, commercial, both? Is there more/less parking than necessary? Will it ruin the streetscape for decades to come or be a tiny jewel of the avenue?

Perhaps we could make a new forum for the seemingly endless discussion of which South Loop community group legitimately represents whom, and limit the discussion here to what actually gets presented at their meetings, rather than the personalities, alleged agendas, and moral failings of the people they comprise. This increasingly insider shop talk holds very little interest for the people who come to this forum to actually find development news.
http://terrazio.com/

Here you go 1935 S. Wabash. Developer said their inspiration was the court yard of Trevey square lofts; said they can have lower price point because of scale, and their architecutural/Gen Contractor/sales integration. Intersting, according to the Plan Commission agenda this was on the agenda last week, yet the public presentation through the GSLA was Saturday after the meeting. Kudos to Dowell for asking alot of questions and inquiring on the presentations and converstations the developer had with residents, and impacted properties. Property Zoned to DX-5 - they chose this scale.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #793
ErmDiego
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooparch View Post
Thank you, Sam.....

he does seem to think their is a grand conspiracy...if so, I wonder what other projects are involved besides X/O? Every GSLA meeting he attends, he only has positive comments to make, hmmmm?
Conspiracy? No, my comments are up front and in the open, unlike you. At least be honest and admit the sponsorship by said developers.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #794
wrabbit
Registered User
 
wrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,162
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
.....Perhaps we could make a new forum for the seemingly endless discussion of which South Loop community group legitimately represents whom, and limit the discussion here to what actually gets presented at their meetings, rather than the personalities, alleged agendas, and moral failings of the people they comprise.....
Yes, please.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #795
slooparch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
Perhaps we could make a new forum for the seemingly endless discussion of which South Loop community group legitimately represents whom, and limit the discussion here to what actually gets presented at their meetings, rather than the personalities, alleged agendas, and moral failings of the people they comprise. This increasingly insider shop talk holds very little interest for the people who come to this forum to actually find development news.
Yes, most definitly! That would allow most of us to ignore it while we actually discuss new development.
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #796
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

^I agree. I issued a warning a while back about this, which very few people seem to have heeded. Now there will be consequences for those who are chronically unable to discuss South Loop development projects without engaging in these childish back-and-forth personal attacks which have endlessly consumed this thread.
__________________
flickrgallery
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #797
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer
 
Mr Downtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,547
Likes (Received): 10

Roosevelt Collection presentation cancelled

Centrum has asked RTKL not to make the long-scheduled presentation on the Roosevelt Collection at Thursday's Friends of Downtown Brown Bag Luncheon.

A substitute program has been arranged. Nathan Mason, of the city's Department of Cultural Affairs, will speak on Public Art Downtown.

Apologies for posting in two threads, but I wanted to be sure the word got out.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #798
Prairie Avenue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 0

Mid rise

Sorry to distract from the Great Community Group debates, but could somebody talk a little more about this 7-story building on Wabash? This is the first I've heard of it. Location? Residential, commercial, both? Is there more/less parking than necessary? Will it ruin the streetscape for decades to come or be a tiny jewel of the avenue?
Developer said chose smaller scale in deference to Church alongside property. Parking was higher than code required, one underground level and one level at grade, all for owner residents with entry on alley and some minimal set aside for retail owners, but if not taken will be open for owners to purchase. Due to grade level parking you have raised inner courtyard, unlike Trevi Square. Retail all along the street, said targeting small boutiques but also said at meeting one retail looking at entire space. No curb cuts out front, some loading zones. No dedicated retail parking. Small units have highest percentage, one bedroom at 700 square feet, up to three bedrooms at about double that if memory serves. Pool is a wade pool with two foot depth.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #799
Belacqua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
Developer said chose smaller scale in deference to Church alongside property. Parking was higher than code required, one underground level and one level at grade, all for owner residents with entry on alley and some minimal set aside for retail owners, but if not taken will be open for owners to purchase. Due to grade level parking you have raised inner courtyard, unlike Trevi Square. Retail all along the street, said targeting small boutiques but also said at meeting one retail looking at entire space. No curb cuts out front, some loading zones. No dedicated retail parking. Small units have highest percentage, one bedroom at 700 square feet, up to three bedrooms at about double that if memory serves. Pool is a wade pool with two foot depth.
Yerf, that's pretty ugly. But what's it replacing, an old warehouse?
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #800
Mr. Hightower
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY / Chicago, IL
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I could have sworn that someone asked him a question about X/O - I think along the lines of whether or not he would try to block the development of it. I could have sworn his answer was along the lines of he wasn't the biggest fan of it in that location, but at the same time, he wasn't going to try to prevent it from being built in its current form either.

Does anyone else remember this?
He remarked that it's a "Done Deal" and there wasn't much he could do. Blocking it did not even seem to be on his radar at that point. He mentioned that his big concern was the sewers.

Has Bob met with CBP since the election?
Mr. Hightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu