daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #801
Bgirl

Likes (Received): 0

417 S. Dearborn Conversion Halted...

Anyone notice the news story about a young woman that got hit by a piece of concrete that fell from the 417 S. Dearborn building, bounced off the ground and hit her? She is fine, but as of yesterday, work on the building was on hold.

Ouch.

Did the Wabash developers mention when they plan on putting units up for sale? I missed Saturday's meeting...
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #802
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
Sorry to distract from the Great Community Group debates, but could somebody talk a little more about this 7-story building on Wabash? This is the first I've heard of it. Location? Residential, commercial, both? Is there more/less parking than necessary? Will it ruin the streetscape for decades to come or be a tiny jewel of the avenue?
Developer said chose smaller scale in deference to Church alongside property. Parking was higher than code required, one underground level and one level at grade, all for owner residents with entry on alley and some minimal set aside for retail owners, but if not taken will be open for owners to purchase. Due to grade level parking you have raised inner courtyard, unlike Trevi Square. Retail all along the street, said targeting small boutiques but also said at meeting one retail looking at entire space. No curb cuts out front, some loading zones. No dedicated retail parking. Small units have highest percentage, one bedroom at 700 square feet, up to three bedrooms at about double that if memory serves. Pool is a wade pool with two foot depth.
^ I actually like this project, even thought it's a dull design. Kudos for actually using the alley for garage access, as well as having underground parking, as well as for going after boutique retail instead of the typical Walgreens/CVS package, which essentially takes up the entire streetfront and bores the passing pedestrian.

What will this building replace? (PLEASE say parking lot!)
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #803
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ I actually like this project, even thought it's a dull design. Kudos for actually using the alley for garage access, as well as having underground parking, as well as for going after boutique retail instead of the typical Walgreens/CVS package, which essentially takes up the entire streetfront and bores the passing pedestrian.

Not a parking lot but no building of note either. Currently, there is some massively wide and ugly building that is either one or two stories....I think it is a warehouse or something along those lines.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #804
Belacqua

What's happening in the chiplot at NW Dearborn/Polk? They seem to be drilling holes and filling vaults or tunnels with concrete, but almost immediately below the surface, not way down deep where a transit or water tunnel would be. It looks like a really ghetto, really closely spaced caisson foundation right now. I know there were plans for condos on the other side of Dearborn, but I hadn't heard about anything for the chiplot.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #805
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post

Gotta disagree if this is Terrazio we're talking about. Just another hideous creation (they've rapidly built an extremely impressive collection in this regard) of design-build outfit Sedgwick Properties - developer Marty Paris and his lackey-hackey "architect" Mark McKinney....
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #806
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
What's happening in the chiplot at NW Dearborn/Polk?
I heard yesterday it was going to be a sales trailer for Burnham Pointe. I don't know why they wouldn't just lease a storefront like Printers Corner did.

There is a big disused water supply tunnel that angles underneath the lot, but the equipment they're using doesn't seem big enough to grout that.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #807
Chicagotom

Are you sure is a water supply tunnel? I believe that tunnel is a small gauge train tunnel that was used to transport products and materials from Dearborn Station to the Printing Houses of Printers Rows. Not a water supply tunnel.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #808
ChicagoSchool

New Alderman

Instead of X/O, how about Fioretti instead blocking the rumored or proposed (?) 2-story bank at Harrison/Clark.

Also, is it true Murphy/Jahn may be designing on that same 600 Clark block empty lot?
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #809
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #810
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I heard yesterday it was going to be a sales trailer for Burnham Pointe. I don't know why they wouldn't just lease a storefront like Printers Corner did.
If that's true, it's not going to make them many friends, taking away the pee-lot and farmer's market location. (Perhaps enough even to prompt a return of his zivness to the sidewalks of the neighborhood, if he wasn't selling his place.)
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #811
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
Are you sure is a water supply tunnel? I believe that tunnel is a small gauge train tunnel that was used to transport products and materials from Dearborn Station to the Printing Houses of Printers Rows. Not a water supply tunnel.
No, it's a (now dry) water tunnel running east-west, and the owner of the "chip lot" got $600,000 from his title insurer when it was discovered some distance from where the Bureau of Underground thought it was.

There was no tunnel from Dearborn Station to any printing houses, though Chicago Tunnel Co. lines ran under nearly all the South Loop streets.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #812
Prairie Avenue

[QUOTE=ChicagoSchool;14442173]Instead of X/O, how about Fioretti instead blocking the rumored or proposed (?) 2-story bank at Harrison/Clark.
QUOTE]

Isn't that 3rd ward? Clark running south of Harrison isn't in the 2nd ward, so that would be Alderman Dowell.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #813
Sir Isaac Newton

[QUOTE=Prairie Avenue;14443605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSchool View Post
Instead of X/O, how about Fioretti instead blocking the rumored or proposed (?) 2-story bank at Harrison/Clark.
QUOTE]

Isn't that 3rd ward? Clark running south of Harrison isn't in the 2nd ward, so that would be Alderman Dowell.
It's the 2nd ward - I live next door and am part of the 2nd ward. I just looked at a ward map - it isn't until you get out to Halsted where the 25th ward extends all the way north to Harrison. The furthest north that the 3rd ward extends to, is 14th Street.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...1713.htmlstory
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #814
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #815
Bgirl

The developers that are working on the Terrazio bldg also own the property @ 16th and Wabash and may sell this to the city....to turn into a nice park.

Nothing set in stone, but this is what the developer told me yesterday...
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #816
turbodub_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
The developers that are working on the Terrazio bldg also own the property @ 16th and Wabash and may sell this to the city....to turn into a nice park.

Nothing set in stone, but this is what the developer told me yesterday...
Wow, now that's some interesting news. Can you be more specific? Are we talking about the Southeast corner (currently gravel parking lot) or the Northwest corner (currently run-down car service center)? 1555 Wabash is being built on the Northeast corner and there's already a small condo building on the Southwest.

I'm guessing it's the southeast corner...

Last edited by turbodub_6; July 27th, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
turbodub_6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #817
Bgirl

Greetings,

I was visiting the condo board @ Ravinia Lofts to discuss the site, CondoPerks.com. The developer was also @ the meeting chatting about Terrazio. He mentioned that his firm owns about an acre of land @ 16th and Wabash and is currently in talks with the city.
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #818
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Southeast corner of 16th/Wabash is the site of the new True Rock church.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:27 AM   #819
Chicagotom

Congress Plaza Hotel sues Alderman Fioretti

Congress Plaza Hotel sues alderman
(Crain’s) — Just a couple of months after being sworn into office, freshman Alderman Bob Fioretti (2nd) has been sued for allegedly holding up a building permit in an attempt to pressure owners of the Congress Hotel to settle a long-standing labor dispute.
In an action filed in U.S. District Court late last week, 520 South Michigan Avenue Associates Ltd., which does business as the Congress Plaza Hotel, contends that Mr. Fioretti improperly used his influence to get the city to stall permits needed for the hotel to add a four-story addition, including a pool, restaurant and health club.
The suit says former Alderman Madeline Haithcock (2nd), who was defeated by Mr. Fioretti in the February election, had agreed to back the expansion even though a local of the Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees International Union has been striking the South Loop facility since 2003.
But Mr. Fioretti, an attorney, told Congress President Shlomo Nahmias in a July 9 meeting that “he would not issue or approve any permits” until the strike is resolved, the suit states. It quotes Mr. Fioretti as saying, “I made this promise to the union before I was elected.”
The suit alleges that such conduct violates federal labor law.
A spokeswoman for Mr. Fioretti confirmed that he did meet with Mr. Nahmias but offered a different account of the session.
Mr. Fioretti pointed out that the hotel has been cited for repeated building code violations and asked that those matters be remedied first before any hotel expansion, the spokeswoman said. The union matter came up only peripherally and is not the reason why Mr. Fioretti wants construction delayed, she added.
A spokeswoman for the city, which was named as a codefendant, said it has not yet been served with the suit and has no comment at this time. The union was not named as party in the action.
Mr. Fioretti received substantial financial help from organized labor in unseating Ms. Haithcock.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:52 AM   #820
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

^ Fioretti is still kinda green at the ins & outs of bare-knuckled politics - not just this but X/O as well - no doubt he'll get better at it over time.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote