daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:17 AM   #821
PrintersRowBoiler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 650
Likes (Received): 1

While we are throwing Fioretti under the bus, I'll just say this:
after blasting Haithcock for being inaccessible, he still hasn't responded to an e-mail I sent him MONTHS ago. As a matter of fact, weeks after I sent it, an associate of his responded saying he was busy and he will get back to me when he has a chance.

In addition to irking people during the veteran's day parade and blowing off a publicized appearance at the South Loop Neighbor's meeting, he has really started to piss me off with his politics related to the X/O project, Congress Hotel expansion, and Franklin Point reaction (although that was a rumor). Granted he has one of the busiest jobs in the city, he certainly has been hiding under a rock since his campaign days where you saw him walking the streets daily. And I still don't think he has publicly addressed the 70%+ referendum to require 2-for-1 parking. Author's Note: TUP - not trying to start that conversation, I just think it would be prudent to at least tell the people who elected you why it is a bad idea to require 2-for-1 parking.

Let's hope for something positive from Fioretti to come soon. Fioretti's start in office is not much of an improvement to Strogers or Blago's 2nd term.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:21 AM   #822
PrintersRowBoiler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 650
Likes (Received): 1

Library Tower
Does anyone have any idea if there are retail tenants proposed for Library Tower yet?
Does anyone know of any streetscape improvement at State Street between Congress and Harrison? I noticed today that a curb retain at Harrison cuts back from the road and noted the setback of the building. I am hoping that they widen the ROW and provide the planters in State Street to match the planters North of Congress and South of Harrison.
Thirdly, will the parking garage access require a separate curb cut from the existing alley? If so, it looks like there will be quite a stretch of curb cut witht he alley and the driveway.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:47 AM   #823
PrintersRowBoiler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 650
Likes (Received): 1



A little fun with this one... Peter Ziv is sweating as the view of his penthouse duplex is sinking faster than the Brewers lead in the NL Central.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:40 AM   #824
Chicagotom
Registered User
 
Chicagotom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 420
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post


A little fun with this one... Peter Ziv is sweating as the view of his penthouse duplex is sinking faster than the Brewers lead in the NL Central.

Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:29 AM   #825
Sir Isaac Newton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 346
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
While we are throwing Fioretti under the bus, I'll just say this:
after blasting Haithcock for being inaccessible, he still hasn't responded to an e-mail I sent him MONTHS ago. As a matter of fact, weeks after I sent it, an associate of his responded saying he was busy and he will get back to me when he has a chance.

In addition to irking people during the veteran's day parade and blowing off a publicized appearance at the South Loop Neighbor's meeting, he has really started to piss me off with his politics related to the X/O project, Congress Hotel expansion, and Franklin Point reaction (although that was a rumor). Granted he has one of the busiest jobs in the city, he certainly has been hiding under a rock since his campaign days where you saw him walking the streets daily. And I still don't think he has publicly addressed the 70%+ referendum to require 2-for-1 parking. Author's Note: TUP - not trying to start that conversation, I just think it would be prudent to at least tell the people who elected you why it is a bad idea to require 2-for-1 parking.

Let's hope for something positive from Fioretti to come soon. Fioretti's start in office is not much of an improvement to Strogers or Blago's 2nd term.
The fact that he has not publicly addressed the 70%+ referendum to require 2-for-1 parking is the one GOOD thing that he has done so far as alderman. Do you really want 12-story, ugly parking podiums on all of the new South Loop high-rises, as opposed to 6-story, ugly parking podiums? Maybe we can have developers start building 30-story high-rises in the South Loop that are nothing but a parking podium....
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:49 AM   #826
PrintersRowBoiler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 650
Likes (Received): 1

What I meant for him to do was not react by passing the legislation, but to communicate to his ward why he will not and why it would not benefit the community.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:37 AM   #827
The Urban Politician
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,935
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
What I meant for him to do was not react by passing the legislation, but to communicate to his ward why he will not and why it would not benefit the community.
^ Why do you need Fioretti to tell you why it won't benefit the community?

That discussion already happened. Do you want Fioretti to say the exact same things that I said to you 6 months ago? Then you'll believe it? Go right ahead, then.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM   #828
NearNorthGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 502
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
In addition to irking people during the veteran's day parade and blowing off a publicized appearance at the South Loop Neighbor's meeting, he has really started to piss me off with his politics related to the X/O project, Congress Hotel expansion, and Franklin Point reaction (although that was a rumor)....
.
That Congress Hotel move by Fioretti is disturbing because of his "I won't be bought by developers" stance. Let's see. He won't be bought by developers but he will be bought by unions.

First the X/O pandering and now the Congress Hotel pandering. What's next?
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:18 AM   #829
Belacqua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
A little fun with this one... Peter Ziv is sweating as the view of his penthouse duplex is sinking faster than the Brewers lead in the NL Central.
Shhhh--we're just hoping it sells quick. The sooner it gets past his floors, the quicker nobody knows what they're missing. But you never know when he'll up and do something completely delusional in response to an imagined slight. For the sake of all Printer's Row, man . . .
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM   #830
InTheLoopSam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 71
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearNorthGuy View Post
That Congress Hotel move by Fioretti is disturbing because of his "I won't be bought by developers" stance. Let's see. He won't be bought by developers but he will be bought by unions.

First the X/O pandering and now the Congress Hotel pandering. What's next?

Precisely. Fioretti is turning out to be a very bad joke. He is acting as if he is bought and paid for, 100%....a wholly-owned subsidiary of a handful of special interest groups - the loud, misguided activists on "historic" Prairie Ave (the NIMBY group PDNA), and unions are certainly the 2 obvious examples just a couple months into his term - this is very bad government. He's not making sound public policy decisions or representing the broad interests of the ward. Instead, he's totally pandering to highly specialized interests. Ironic isn't it that he campaigned on a platform of being independent of the influence of special interests.

Incidentally, I'd also like to correct a misnomer that I've seen passed around on these pages - that Fioretti is somehow not pandering to the NIMBYs on Prairie because he was elected on an anti-development, NIMBYist mandate. This is not true at all - those in the political know realize the overwhelming reason he beat the incumbent was due to a perception of non-responsiveness, inacessability and poor constituent services on the part of the incumbent, in fact practically an absence of attention to the day-to-day nuts and bolts issues that comprise most of an alderman's actual job. Of course in every election there are always smaller fragments of the ward's electorate that are keyed into very specific issues, often times involving development issues.
__________________
In The Loop, 24/7
InTheLoopSam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM   #831
Butkusrules00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

Fioretti v. Developers

I have a suspicion that some of the people slamming Fioretti have a professional interest in South Loop development. Fioretti is just doing what people who live in the neighborhood want him to do. I voted for him and I have no problem with what he is doing. Frankly I would be disappointed if he didn't influence the Congress's union issues. The two sides have had long enough to come to some sort of agreement. Now its just a blight on the neighborhood and must go one way or the other.
I want him to put a collar on the developers who have treated the south loop as their own little kingdoms. When I tell people I live in the south loop, one of the first things they bring up is how so many of the new buildings here are poorly constructed.
I want these developers to know that there is oversight in the South loop. If it means that Fioretti has to ruffle some feathers especially initially I have no problem with it.
Butkusrules00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:34 PM   #832
Bgirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkusrules00 View Post
I want him to put a collar on the developers who have treated the south loop as their own little kingdoms. When I tell people I live in the south loop, one of the first things they bring up is how so many of the new buildings here are poorly constructed.
I want these developers to know that there is oversight in the South loop. If it means that Fioretti has to ruffle some feathers especially initially I have no problem with it.
As a recent NEW buyer of NEW construction I am right there with you. My building suffers from cracking balconies (luckily, it's finally being fixed by the developer) and my unit had a section of the most uneven floors that I couldn't believe the workers 'missed a spot'.

I don't care who takes care of these issues, but yes, I want my friends and recent newlyweds to seriously consider what they buy in the S. Loop. Heck, I'd love them closer to me, but I'll be gosh darned if they buy into a place and don't do their homework.

There are some gorgeous developments down here, but from leaky windows to cracking balconies, I hear countless stories of shoddy work when I visit buildings in the area.

Don't forget all, the 2nd ward is massive and Fioretti has alot to deal with on the West side, let alone our neighborhood. We live in a spectacular community with access to just about everything and literally watching it all transform over night. A little patience me thinks?
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:03 AM   #833
High Life on LSD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 64
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgirl View Post
As a recent NEW buyer of NEW construction I am right there with you. My building suffers from cracking balconies (luckily, it's finally being fixed by the developer) and my unit had a section of the most uneven floors that I couldn't believe the workers 'missed a spot'.

I don't care who takes care of these issues, but yes, I want my friends and recent newlyweds to seriously consider what they buy in the S. Loop. Heck, I'd love them closer to me, but I'll be gosh darned if they buy into a place and don't do their homework.

There are some gorgeous developments down here, but from leaky windows to cracking balconies, I hear countless stories of shoddy work when I visit buildings in the area.

Don't forget all, the 2nd ward is massive and Fioretti has alot to deal with on the West side, let alone our neighborhood. We live in a spectacular community with access to just about everything and literally watching it all transform over night. A little patience me thinks?
Bgirl,

While I agree that there needs to be accountability for bad development, I wouldn't put the responsibly on the city. First of all there is shotty development going up all over the city, not just the South Loop. You are a buyer are responsible to perform the due diligence on the property you chose to purchase. That includes checking the status of previous developments by both the developer and the construction management company that they are using on the project. For example, a friend of mine recently bought a place in River North and his building turned out like crap too. The construction management company is Bovis Lend Lease, and they suck at building things. Armed with that information I will never buy anything constructed by those ass-whipes.

I am not sure why you think it is the Alderman's job to research the developments so you don't have to. You need to remember that the whole point of real estate development (like any business) is to produce a product that will sell at the lowest possible price. The market is full of suckers, so they can substitute quality for a lower price, and get people to buy more. If they were to actually build quality stuff they may need to raise their prices. All I am sure about, is they need to make a living.

I am also sure that Bob Fioeretti is a ****-wad and is doing a dogshit job as Alderman. XO will get built and Ermdiego and Prarie are going to have to move to Wisconsin or some other place with shitty low rise architecture.
High Life on LSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:18 AM   #834
InTheLoopSam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 71
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkusrules00 View Post
I have a suspicion that some of the people slamming Fioretti have a professional interest in South Loop development. Fioretti is just doing what people who live in the neighborhood want him to do. I voted for him and I have no problem with what he is doing. Frankly I would be disappointed if he didn't influence the Congress's union issues. The two sides have had long enough to come to some sort of agreement. Now its just a blight on the neighborhood and must go one way or the other.
I want him to put a collar on the developers who have treated the south loop as their own little kingdoms. When I tell people I live in the south loop, one of the first things they bring up is how so many of the new buildings here are poorly constructed.
I want these developers to know that there is oversight in the South loop. If it means that Fioretti has to ruffle some feathers especially initially I have no problem with it.

A lot of what you suggest is not an alderman's job. Consumers have a responsibility to research the product they are buying. Everybody looks to pass the buck on to somebody else when they are faced with their own poor decisions. The Congress mess may be unseemly, but it is a private matter between a business and a union. Meddling by the alderman is not what is called for. And again, Fioretti is doing what a small minority of very vocal special interest groups in the neighborhood would like him to do. As a professional panderer, Fioretti is only too quick and happy to oblige. And, for the record, I have absolutely no professional or other monetary interests in South Loop development at the present time.
__________________
In The Loop, 24/7
InTheLoopSam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:36 AM   #835
Prairie Avenue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 0

Fioretti discussions

On parking the Alderman did address that in the campaign -- he was not in favor of the recommendation, but was interested in parking and traffic concerns being addressed as developments went forward. The refernedum was Doody's main emphasis and we certainly saw no tide of voters for him. I agree that there is no compelling need to address publicly or legislatively the vote in that regard. That issue never had any legs.

On the Congress Hotel, the claims by the Hotel are interesting. Haithcock cracked down on the Hotel and denied their ability to offer outdoor dining when she was in office, seeking to get the strike ended. Fioretti campaigned for a living wage and made specific pledges to do what he could in order to get that strike ended throughout his campaign. The hotel's base accusations of threats make for a juicy pleading in their lawsuit, but doesn't make it a fact. SEIU did in fact support Fioretti in the run off, but he made it there without any large commitment from them -- they made it clear they would back any challenger to Haithcock for her support of the big box veto. So I wouldn't see the Alderman as particularly beholden to labor unions. Certainly he did campaign on issues they support, but so what?

On being anti development, he never campaigned on that. He took a stand that pay to play politics should end and that the developers had gotten too much of a financial hold on the aldermanic office -- no one could dispute that with Haithcock getting rent free space from developers for her offices, and upwards of 80% of her campaign contributions -- much of which flowed right back into the pockets of her family member "workers". I think the voters found reasonable his pledges for accountability to the community and to buyers by developers, and his not taking money from them set him apart form all other candidates in the campaign. Frankly, it was a wise move, no developer would have had the cojones to subject themselves to Haithcock's wrath lest she determine they were supporting her opposition so it wasn't like a big spigot was turned away -- although now that he has won the prime source of campaign contributions in a developing ward is lost to him because he has kept the integrity of his pledge. The alderman sought responsible development and developers who wouldn't leave new owners holding the special assessment bag due to shoddy building practices. He also pledged community input into the development approval process. Those aren't necessarily NIMBY or anti development stances and they were themes that had legs with the voters.

Finally, on the voter buy in, the poster is correct that the vote was in many respects an anti Haithcock vote, her negatives had to be huge and SEIU did a number on her throughout the campaign. Rightfully so. But this alderman did something no other challenger did, he built a grass roots network of volunteers in numbers never before seen in the ward, so that in both the primary and the runoff his election team was larger, beter organized and more effective than any of the challengers as well as those brought in by Daley in support of Haithcock. The campaign themes certainly resonated with those people and the people they then brought to the polls. There were clear messages that carried this alderman to victory and none of them involved a parking space per unit mandate, but many of them did involve community input on development and bringing responsibility to the process and the outcome. The alderman would be a fraud if he abandoned those values now.

As to him not being visible anymore, don't know where that comes from. I saw him the other day driving around and jumping out the car to speak with constituents while walking my dog. There is certainly a transition from candidate to setting up the office and handling everything going on in this ward, and he hasn't made the smoothest transition but it is not for lack of effort. To say he's hiding under a rock is silly, he has been in the press more than any other alderman since the election. It is easy to hide and to collect the tribute from those needing favors -- we saw that for 13 years with Haithcock --governing a newly empowered constituency is a pretty tough thing in a ward as diverse as far flung as this one. But he's been on the job two months, lets give him a chance before throwing him under the bus.

Last edited by Prairie Avenue; August 1st, 2007 at 05:23 AM.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:48 AM   #836
Prairie Avenue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Life on LSD View Post
Bgirl,

While I agree that there needs to be accountability for bad development, I wouldn't put the responsibly on the city. First of all there is shotty development going up all over the city, not just the South Loop. You are a buyer are responsible to perform the due diligence on the property you chose to purchase. That includes checking the status of previous developments by both the developer and the construction management company that they are using on the project. For example, a friend of mine recently bought a place in River North and his building turned out like crap too. The construction management company is Bovis Lend Lease, and they suck at building things. Armed with that information I will never buy anything constructed by those ass-whipes.

I am not sure why you think it is the Alderman's job to research the developments so you don't have to. You need to remember that the whole point of real estate development (like any business) is to produce a product that will sell at the lowest possible price. The market is full of suckers, so they can substitute quality for a lower price, and get people to buy more. If they were to actually build quality stuff they may need to raise their prices. All I am sure about, is they need to make a living.

I am also sure that Bob Fioeretti is a ****-wad and is doing a dogshit job as Alderman. XO will get built and Ermdiego and Prarie are going to have to move to Wisconsin or some other place with shitty low rise architecture.

Wow. So your point is that the buyers should simply not buy in any development where there is a bad developer or builder? The alderman campaigned for full disclosure of owenrship within development LLCs, and the contractors being used, so that very diligence could take place. he also campainged on not giving blank development checks to developer/builders with a bad history. I guess I don't see how preventing a shoddy building from going up is inferior to allowing it to go up and then mocking the foolish buyers who purchase there. If you agree that Bovis lend Lease can't build properly, why would you be against an alderman's effort to keep them from building in the first place? Isn't that exactly what a governing body that has the final approval for ongoing development should be doing?
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:36 AM   #837
Bgirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 36
Likes (Received): 0

Thanks, LSD.

That was a nice, civil and classy remark to a simple statement I made.

I don't recall writing anything about the Alderman taking care of this research. Perhaps you should read my note again before you jump to conclusions.
Bgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM   #838
PrintersRowBoiler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 650
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Why do you need Fioretti to tell you why it won't benefit the community?

That discussion already happened. Do you want Fioretti to say the exact same things that I said to you 6 months ago? Then you'll believe it? Go right ahead, then.
I don't remember that discussion happening. No I do not want Fioretti to say the exact same things you said 6 months ago (unless that is exactly the reason he will not support the referendum).

I think it would be prudent if FIORETTI (not some novice sitting behind his computer from NYC) to tell his WARD (in particular the 70+% who voted for the referendum and not just me and the other handful of constituents that visit this board) why FIORETTI will not support the new legislation.

I knew you would come out swinging and twisting my words around (in fact I noted that in my post and indirectly asked you to chill out). I suppose I am just as immature for responding to your post. I don't know why I waste my time... It's that same voice that tells me to not to grab another beer.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:20 AM   #839
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer
 
Mr Downtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,547
Likes (Received): 10

I talked with Ald. Fioretti briefly in early June. Apparently Haithcock spent the entire year's office budget on her reelection campaign, leaving him no money for rent and office expenses. Nonetheless, he was overwhelmed by the backlog of constituent requests that Haithcock had ignored. So I'm willing to cut him a little slack. Especially because he was going back to the office that Saturday afternoon to slog through the OPS ordinance, acting like an actual legislator instead of a mere gatekeeper to city services.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM   #840
visitor1030
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

What’s going on at Astoria Tower? I signed a contract October 2005, was told construction would begin spring 06. Also, delivery fall 2007 or early 2008. Two months ago, I contacted FrankelGiles via email and they replied, “Astoria is set for delivery in late spring 2008.” I called the Astoria sales office, and they said, “Delivery is set for the end of spring 2008, there are no delays on the project.” Then I went to the Wight Construction web site. This company is doing the “pre-construction” work for Astoria. On this site it stated, “"phased occupancy scheduled to begin in fall 2008 and final completion in summer 2009?" When I contacted them on this, they never replied back, and two days later this info was deleted from their web page. I don’t understand it at all. I circled around the Astoria construction site today and I didn’t see anything different from a year, though One Place on 8th street in making some progress finally. Astoria is supposedly a total sellout.
visitor1030 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu