daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM   #841
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I peeked through the fence Sunday and it seemed like Astoria foundation work was complete and it was ready to come out of the ground. I was surprised because they had only recently resumed caisson work. Maybe they only needed four caissons.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM   #842
Belacqua

Likes (Received): 0

excerpted from Crain's,

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=25844

Columbia College buys 2 S. Loop buildings from CHA

(Crain’s) — Columbia College, already one of the biggest property owners in the South Loop, bought two connected office buildings from the Chicago Housing Authority for $6.1-million in a deal that closed last week.

The two buildings at 916-1000 S. Wabash Ave. total about 68,000 square feet. Columbia will convert them into classrooms, galleries, studios and other unspecified academic purposes by fall 2008.

“These are located right in the heart of where we’re trying to create more of a sense of campus,” says Alicia Berg, the college’s vice-president of campus environment. “It’s really a perfect fit for us.”

--------------

Columbia is really consolidating their empire. I haven't been by to look at exactly what's at those addresses, but these are the rather blank-walled, low buildings on the west side between 9th & 11th, no? I thought there were some private businesses sprinkled in there too, an architect or something and like a pet store, or is that further north. I wonder if the one with "large floorplate and no columns" is bound to be the soundstage space they were looking for.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM   #843
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
I don't remember that discussion happening. No I do not want Fioretti to say the exact same things you said 6 months ago (unless that is exactly the reason he will not support the referendum).

I think it would be prudent if FIORETTI (not some novice sitting behind his computer from NYC) to tell his WARD (in particular the 70+% who voted for the referendum and not just me and the other handful of constituents that visit this board) why FIORETTI will not support the new legislation.

I knew you would come out swinging and twisting my words around (in fact I noted that in my post and indirectly asked you to chill out). I suppose I am just as immature for responding to your post. I don't know why I waste my time... It's that same voice that tells me to not to grab another beer.
^ That's cool PRB. You don't really have to respond to anything. If you want some lawyer to do your thinking for you, then knock yourself out. But this 'novice' is pretty much telling you what you don't want to hear, and that's the root of the problem. Go ahead and wait for Fioretti to repeat every single argument that I made against your silly 2-for-1 parking referendum if that floats your boat.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM   #844
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM   #845
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM   #846
Belacqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
The property in question is a six story red brick loft building with an attached two-story, clear-span loft. The facades of both buildings are combined in a horrible red Dryvitt stucco. Just North of this complex is the brick one-story buildings you described in your post. They are unrelated to this acquisition.
That whole block is so bland and unremarkable that it's melting together in my mind. I'll have to walk by there tonight to make sense of this.
Belacqua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:01 AM   #847
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
I'll have to walk by there tonight to make sense of this.
Hey, in this modern world why leave the house?

900 block South Wabash, looking west

Last edited by Mr Downtown; August 2nd, 2007 at 06:04 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:32 AM   #848
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:39 AM   #849
InTheLoopSam

[QUOTE=Prairie Avenue;14555485]

On being anti development, he never campaigned on that. He took a stand that pay to play politics should end and that the developers had gotten too much of a financial hold on the aldermanic office -- no one could dispute that with Haithcock getting rent free space from developers for her offices, and upwards of 80% of her campaign contributions -- much of which flowed right back into the pockets of her family member "workers". I think the voters found reasonable his pledges for accountability to the community and to buyers by developers, and his not taking money from them set him apart form all other candidates in the campaign. Frankly, it was a wise move, no developer would have had the cojones to subject themselves to Haithcock's wrath lest she determine they were supporting her opposition so it wasn't like a big spigot was turned away -- although now that he has won the prime source of campaign contributions in a developing ward is lost to him because he has kept the integrity of his pledge. The alderman sought responsible development and developers who wouldn't leave new owners holding the special assessment bag due to shoddy building practices. He also pledged community input into the development approval process. Those aren't necessarily NIMBY or anti development stances and they were themes that had legs with the voters.

Finally, on the voter buy in, the poster is correct that the vote was in many respects an anti Haithcock vote, her negatives had to be huge and SEIU did a number on her throughout the campaign. Rightfully so. But this alderman did something no other challenger did, he built a grass roots network of volunteers in numbers never before seen in the ward, so that in both the primary and the runoff his election team was larger, beter organized and more effective than any of the challengers as well as those brought in by Daley in support of Haithcock. The campaign themes certainly resonated with those people and the people they then brought to the polls. There were clear messages that carried this alderman to victory and none of them involved a parking space per unit mandate, but many of them did involve community input on development and bringing responsibility to the process and the outcome. The alderman would be a fraud if he abandoned those values now.
QUOTE]

In theory, your points are ok, in practice however some problems emerge. You basically imply that it is ok to be bought by some constituencies (labor unions) but not by others (developers). Your attempt to portray the union as not having purchased undue influence is somewhat less than convincing.
Also, the concepts of more transparency and community involvement as far as development decisions go is fine, however right off the bat he has made an extremely poor decision (the X/O debacle - Mr Downtown - I'll correct your misguided, wrongheaded views on that development's place next to a "landmark" district over on that thread) by pandering to a group of very vocal, misguided NIMBY activists instead of using good judgement from a wide variety of perspectives - legal and urban design among others. Sometimes you have to make the correct decision for the neighborhood over the objections of some loud, misguided community members.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:46 AM   #850
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
I don't remember that discussion happening. No I do not want Fioretti to say the exact same things you said 6 months ago (unless that is exactly the reason he will not support the referendum).

I think it would be prudent if FIORETTI (not some novice sitting behind his computer from NYC) to tell his WARD (in particular the 70+% who voted for the referendum and not just me and the other handful of constituents that visit this board) why FIORETTI will not support the new legislation.

I knew you would come out swinging and twisting my words around (in fact I noted that in my post and indirectly asked you to chill out). I suppose I am just as immature for responding to your post. I don't know why I waste my time... It's that same voice that tells me to not to grab another beer.

If anyone is a novice when it comes to this issue, it is not TUP. Rather, it is Fioretti himself!
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM   #851
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
The new Film and Video production soundstage is going to be sited at a property they bought at 16th and State. It will be designed by Studio Gang and construction will start next Spring.

The Dance, Music and Photograpy departments are also looking for column-free space and they are all sort of fighting over this new property.

The property in question is a six story red brick loft building with an attached two-story, clear-span loft. The facades of both buildings are combined in a horrible red Dryvitt stucco. Just North of this complex is the brick one-story buildings you described in your post. They are unrelated to this acquisition.

I can't wait to see what Gang comes up with for the Columbia production soundstage. Very pleased she was given this commission...
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM   #852
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkusrules00 View Post
I have a suspicion that some of the people slamming Fioretti have a professional interest in South Loop development.
I agree that you should always be suspicious of that sort of undisclosed conflict of interest. I am sure that it occurs occasionally on these boards.

However, I have no professional or economic interest in anything that happens in the South Loop, nor does anyone in my family. In fact, I am in the health field and live on the Near North Side.

I simply disagree with Fioretti's X/O move and his actions concerning Congress Plaza Hotel.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM   #853
dvidler

Does anyone know if the YMCA HQ will still be moving to the S. Loop?

YMCA

The YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for U.S. YMCAs. Together, the nation's more than 2,500 YMCAs are the largest not-for-profit community service organizations in America, working to meet the health and social service needs of 18.9 million men, women and children in 10,000 communities in the United States.

Y-USA began considering options to move its headquarters of 25 years at 101 N. Wacker Drive when its lease was due to expire. Ten other cities were considered as alternative sites for its headquarters. Y-USA decided to keep its headquarters in Chicago, purchasing two adjoining parcels totaling 55,000 square feet at the southeast corner of Harrison and State streets. The organization hopes to complete the structure by 2010.
The South Loop site was chosen partly because of its proximity to Jones College Prep, several higher-education institutions, the University Center dorm and hotels. Y-USA chose to stay in Chicago due to the organization’s familiarity with the city and the advantages of its central location. They also sited the ability to tap further into Chicago’s diverse local workforce.

Chicago speaks over 100 languages and communicates through more than 130 foreign-language media. The city has 26 different ethnic groups with a population greater than 25,000. The city’s 9 -1-1 Center answers emergency calls in 27 languages. In addition to being ethnically diverse, the city’s workforce is also diverse. Chicago’s labor pools rank in the top 5 largest for all but one of the 22 major occupational groups tracked by the U.S. government.

Chicago’s diversity “is very much like the face of the YMCAs and the communities that we serve,” said Kenneth Gladish, president and chief executive of Y-USA.

WBC was involved in site assistance and financial negotiations for this project. The City of Chicago planning department offered Y-USA $9.5 million in assistance pending City Council approval. The city may offer another $4 million if a community center is built on the site.
Y-USA projects its staff could grow from 206 to 260 after a move to the South Loop. They city will also benefit by having an organization that focuses on the well-being of children and families headquartered here.
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM   #854
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkusrules00
I have a suspicion that some of the people slamming Fioretti have a professional interest in South Loop development.
^ Nope.

I'm also in health care, own absolutely no property, and have not invested in any (at this stage of my life).

Being anti-developer is not a natural progression, my friend. One can come to a very, very different conclusion than you have without having a financial stake in the matter.

The south loop deserves better than 4-5 story brick and cinderblock buildings. For me that's a firm belief, not an investment
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM   #855
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i_tab04_layout

McCormick may add 1,500-room hotel
By Kathy Bergen | Tribune staff reporter
1:21 PM CDT, August 2, 2007

Even as McCormick Place officials unveiled the $882 million West Building addition Thursday, they are moving swiftly toward another massive expansion, this one a potential mixed-use development that could include a new 1,500-room hotel directly north of the newly opened hall.

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #856
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:29 PM   #857
ChicagoSchool

Was unfortunately announced back in Oct/06 that YMCA project put on hold temporarily, per steep construction costs. They're reportedly to re-consider the project again in 2008:

South Loop HQ on hold for national 'Y'
(Crain’s) — The national YMCA is putting on hold plans to build a new headquarters in the South Loop, citing several factors, including rising construction costs for the project, originally budgeted for as much as $70 million.

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/n...searchType=all
ChicagoSchool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:33 AM   #858
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

McCormick may add 1,500-room hotel
By Kathy Bergen | Tribune staff reporter
1:21 PM CDT, August 2, 2007

Even as McCormick Place officials unveiled the $882 million West Building addition Thursday, they are moving swiftly toward another massive expansion, this one a potential mixed-use development that could include a new 1,500-room hotel directly north of the newly opened hall.

Man I would be so fired up if this happened.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:16 AM   #859
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

I had read somewhere (cant remember or find where) that a possible entertainment district would be developed near the mccormick place (with theatres and shopping). Does anyone know if thats true or where I could find info on it. Im also wondering if this new hotel is just another aspect of this possible proposal. (The more hotel-goers, the more entertainment options needed - right?)
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:53 AM   #860
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

The "Prairie Blocks" was a proposal about five years ago by an amateur owner/developer, who has now sold part of the property, I think. I would put it in the "dead" category.

http://www.ddg-usa.com/Projects/Prai...s/Project.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n15911536